hibs.net Messageboard

Edinburgh Leisure Fitness Classes

Does anyone do any of the fitness classes through Edinburgh Leisure? I was thinking of doing some as my self motivation at the gym is not great and I get bored quickly, at the same time I don't want to go to a fitness class were its all woman and I am the only guy.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I used to go to a a couple a few years back.

It really depends on the class tbh. Bodypump, boxercise, body combat etc will have a few guys around. The likes of step and, for reasons I'm not sure of, the spin classes tend to be almost solely women.

Classes are great for keeping motivated as no one wants to be the one to drop out.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member
    I was going to suggest the Hibs Football Fans in Training scheme, but I see it is for men aged over 35.

http://www.hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk/live/

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to suggest the Hibs Football Fans in Training scheme, but I see it is for men aged over 35.

http://www.hiberniancommunityfoundation.org.uk/live/
    I think they tend to be a bit relaxed with regards entry requirements. Over 35, Male and waist size of 35" or more. The last course i was on there were a couple under 35yo and there quite a few Women as well. All that aside, it was fantastic and I would urge any unfit hibbies to give it a bash.

Next intake Thurs 07/01/2016 👍

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Tempted myself CB. I try to get to the Leith gym a couple times a week and been tempted to go to classes but not sure which ones and like you mention, it feels like it's more for girls.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    There's always Men at the RPM classes I've been to.

Signed up for the boxing fitness class at the Leith Victoria baths.

I know what u mean about going to the gym on your own it is hard to stick at it. Classes are good way of meeting new people aswell 👍🏼

Quote Originally Posted by CB_NO3 View Post
    Does anyone do any of the fitness classes through Edinburgh Leisure? I was thinking of doing some as my self motivation at the gym is not great and I get bored quickly, at the same time I don't want to go to a fitness class were its all woman and I am the only guy.
    Why not, sounds ideal to me?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

@hibs.net private member
    I go to Craiglockhart Leisure Centre. Plenty guys at Bodypump and RPM. Some classes more than others. No one bothers though. No one's precious about guys being in a class. Honest.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Whats the best place to start for general fitness? Having not ever done much exercise I really think its time I start. Im 28, in no way overweight (lucky I guess) however having smoked since I was 12 (on ecig for last year though) I really am unfit in a general sense. I recently discovered I was panting walking 3 flights of stairs and playing for 5 min with my 3 year old I had chronic hearrburn and struggling ro breath, this aint good signs and was wondering where best to start? I generally feel if I done anything too strenuous to quick id keel over

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    Whats the best place to start for general fitness? Having not ever done much exercise I really think its time I start. Im 28, in no way overweight (lucky I guess) however having smoked since I was 12 (on ecig for last year though) I really am unfit in a general sense. I recently discovered I was panting walking 3 flights of stairs and playing for 5 min with my 3 year old I had chronic hearrburn and struggling ro breath, this aint good signs and was wondering where best to start? I generally feel if I done anything too strenuous to quick id keel over
    NHS couch to 5K is a great way to start to build up your fitness. Google it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    NHS couch to 5K is a great way to start to build up your fitness. Google it.
    Perfect mate cheers. Looks exactly like what I need, going to proper kick it in the new year, healthier eating, for me and the family, I dont Drink very often any more now so giving that uo for a month or 2 in jan should be easy and start that programme.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    A good combination is to have a personal trainer twice a week to work on core strength exercises then use some kind of dvd at home for high intensity interval training to get the cardio. I have used Equinox for personal training sessions the last year or two and Insanity for a fast at home max out cardio fitness workout. Equinox is already in London and has piles of fresh towels level of service with hygienic up market facilities unlike most other gyms - should hit Edinburgh one of these days. Insanity is definitely not for the faint hearted but my wife handles it easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post

I work in a Sports Centre in East Lothian and to me you answered your own question. Just start with walking. 20mins and build it up from there. Gyms are fine but do tend to put a lot of people off when they first go. Or if you want a wee bit of fitness equipment for the house or garage get yourself a rowing machine and/or a punch bag. Both fantastic for all round fitness. Skipping ropes are cheap as chips but are also brilliant. And... Here's the big one... A balanced diet!!

Try Parkrun on a Saturday morning. Cramond/Silverknowes promenade at half nine. 5k run with about 500 people of all shapes and sizes. Fastest about 16mins. Slowest about 45 mins. Great atmosphere and free. Just go at your own pace but in a supportive and motivating environment.

I think there is also one now going in Portobello.