hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Radio 5 live after the win the commentator says "it's on a par with England winning the World Cup in 66, with Manchester Utd. and Liverpool winning the European Cup....." Here was me thinking it was A GB team where all the points in the final were won by 2 Scots from Dunblane. English media wonder why the rest of the UK want England beaten at everything they play.
    What's the point you're making here? What comparable Scottish team event achievements should be have quoted??

Would you honestly have been happier if he'd quoted Celtc's Lisbon Lions?

FWIW, I don't think sports commentators should be indulging in lazy comparisons, especially between sports, but a bit of knicker-knot untying wouldn't go amiss here
    Last edited by lyonhibs; 01-12-2015 at 08:33 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    What's the point you're making here? What comparable Scottish tram event achievements should be have quoted??

FWIW, I don't think sports commentators should be indulging in lazy comparisons, especially between sports, but a bit of knicker-knot untying wouldn't go amiss here
    Balance i'd imagine?

What's the point you're making here? What comparable Scottish tram event achievements should be have quoted??

Yeah we are actually pretty crap at the whole tram thing.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar

Yes I would have been happier if they had mentioned Celtic who according to English media are the first and only British winners of the European Cup. Man U were then 1st English and Liverpool 2nd English etc. even if the clown had stopped after the 1966 reference I would not have bothered it's the fact they ignored Celtic that hacked me off.

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Yeah we are actually pretty crap at the whole tram thing.
    A Freudian typo with an unintentionally accurate meaning :-P

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    Did the entire england cricket team not get a nighthood for winning one test match?

LH, if this was a one off slip of the tongue poor reference, then nobody would probably bat an eyelid. However, this is just a constant with 'english' media. At the weekend, the BBC sport website has the British girls WINING a SILVER medal at some trampoline championship, yet the SCOTTISH ladies LOST the final of the curling, same outcome/finishing position but one won whilst the other lost.

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Sang God Save the Queen with a Union Jack wrapped round him.

How will our Masonic brothers along the M8 handle that, him being a Hibby n'all?

Well done Andy, knighthood calling.
    Sir Hibs Fan.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by Argylehibby View Post
    Radio 5 live after the win the commentator says "it's on a par with England winning the World Cup in 66, with Manchester Utd. and Liverpool winning the European Cup....." Here was me thinking it was A GB team where all the points in the final were won by 2 Scots from Dunblane. English media wonder why the rest of the UK want England beaten at everything they play.
    What's the point you're making here? What comparable Scottish team event achievements should be have quoted??

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Balance i'd imagine?

I would agree with Argyle and BH here.

In the Davis Cup British players compete as representing Great Britain, not England. It's been blindingly obvious for a long time that the Murray brothers are British when they win and Scots when they lose.

Years and years ago the Monty Python crowd did a blatantly racist sketch about a plot to have a Scotsman win Wimbledon (as if any English player of the time had the ghost of a chance of winning anything). My, how we laughed! As if a Scot could ever win Middle England's summer bat-ball fest. They depicted their 'Scotsmen' as gruntng gnomes in droopy kilts and oversize balmoral bunnets.

Now the only Brit with the faintest chance of winning Wimbledon or any other major tennis singles tournament is a Scot, and his brother's in the only doubles team that wins things as well.

It's also a fact that the European Cup first arrived in Great Britain courtesy of the Lisbon Lions, a fact that at the time did not go down well with our southern neighbours who were still high on their success of the previous summer and sticking it to everyone - especially us Scots - at every opportunity. Jock Stein and his guys did what Matt Busby and the red half of Manchester had been trying to do for a decade, and all credit and praise to them for doing so. So yes it WOULD have been proper and appropriate for the goon on R5 to have mentioned Celtic ahead of United and Liverpool - no offence to them, nor do I grudge or denigrate their later achievements.

I'd far rather see either of them winning the CL than Bayern or Real Madrid or Chelsea. Or Megabucks City in their sky-blue shirts.

We could argue that one family in a small town in Perthshire has managed to do what the whole of British tennis could not do for more than seven decades, but that wouldn't be true. The Davis Cup team works as a team, and I'm sure Andy and jamie Murray aren't about to write off the contributions of the coaches, team officials, and their fellow players in the victory of last weekend's final and the earlier rounda throughout the year.

At the same time, English commentators should be very aware that they would have absolutely nothing to celebrate in the sport of tennis if it weren't for Judy Murray and her boys, and mind their manners accordingly.

Coaching Staff
    Much ado about nothing.

Well done Jamie & Andy plus James Ward and Kyle Edmunds

Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Much ado about nothing.

Well done Jamie & Andy plus James Ward and Kyle Edmunds
    Assuming you're referring to the heinous crimes of commentary apparently committed, that's it in a nutshell for me

Without Englishman James Ward's epic effort against the USA, the UK might not have even got to the final. The witterings of some dolt on 5Live shouldn't impact on/diminish your appreciation and enjoyment of what the British team have achieved in winning the Davis Cup.

Of the 12 points needed to win the trophy, the Murry brothers provided 11 of them A victory made in Dunblane. No doubt had we lost to Belgium the Murray brothers would have been plucky Scots who just missed out on glory.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Of the 12 points needed to win the trophy, the Murry brothers provided 11 of them A victory made in Dunblane. No doubt had we lost to Belgium the Murray brothers would have been plucky Scots who just missed out on glory.
    Not to forget the Captain, Leon Smith who is from.........................

Glasgow

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddie View Post
    I would agree with Argyle and BH here.

In the Davis Cup British players compete as representing Great Britain, not England. It's been blindingly obvious for a long time that the Murray brothers are British when they win and Scots when they lose.

Years and years ago the Monty Python crowd did a blatantly racist sketch about a plot to have a Scotsman win Wimbledon (as if any English player of the time had the ghost of a chance of winning anything). My, how we laughed! As if a Scot could ever win Middle England's summer bat-ball fest. They depicted their 'Scotsmen' as gruntng gnomes in droopy kilts and oversize balmoral bunnets.

Now the only Brit with the faintest chance of winning Wimbledon or any other major tennis singles tournament is a Scot, and his brother's in the only doubles team that wins things as well.

It's also a fact that the European Cup first arrived in Great Britain courtesy of the Lisbon Lions, a fact that at the time did not go down well with our southern neighbours who were still high on their success of the previous summer and sticking it to everyone - especially us Scots - at every opportunity. Jock Stein and his guys did what Matt Busby and the red half of Manchester had been trying to do for a decade, and all credit and praise to them for doing so. So yes it WOULD have been proper and appropriate for the goon on R5 to have mentioned Celtic ahead of United and Liverpool - no offence to them, nor do I grudge or denigrate their later achievements.

I'd far rather see either of them winning the CL than Bayern or Real Madrid or Chelsea. Or Megabucks City in their sky-blue shirts.

We could argue that one family in a small town in Perthshire has managed to do what the whole of British tennis could not do for more than seven decades, but that wouldn't be true. The Davis Cup team works as a team, and I'm sure Andy and jamie Murray aren't about to write off the contributions of the coaches, team officials, and their fellow players in the victory of last weekend's final and the earlier rounda throughout the year.

At the same time, English commentators should be very aware that they would have absolutely nothing to celebrate in the sport of tennis if it weren't for Judy Murray and her boys, and mind their manners accordingly.
    Stirlingshire.

Coaching Staff
    Assuming you're referring to the heinous crimes of commentary apparently committed, that's it in a nutshel for me

Without Englishman James Ward's epic effort against the USA, the UK might not have even got to the final. The witterings of some dolt on 5Live shouldn't impact on/diminish your appreciation and enjoyment of what the British team have achieved in winning the Davis Cup.
    Correct. James Wards win against John Isner was epic and contributed massively to the win aginst USA. Young Kyle Edmuns took the world number 16 to 5 sets again a massive contribution.

Assuming you're referring to the heinous crimes of commentary apparently committed, that's it in a nutshell for me

Whilst this started as a bit of humour in claiming the Murray brothers as two of our own and a Davis Cup win for the Hibees, it's moved on from there to the unacceptable, IMO, position of, everything good in the sporting world is British/English.

I think it was during the 1/4 final game against the USA that the commentator claimed that if we won this match, it will be the first time 'ENGLAND' had qualified for the semi-final of the Davis cup since ??????? (I don't know when).

In fact, if memory serves, it was at half time during a rugby game and the BBC received numerous complaints about it and the person was forced to apologise.
    They simply cannot differentiate between Britain & England, both exactly the same 'when it suits them' of course.

@hibs.net private member Argylehibby's Avatar

The commentator did not diminish my appreciation of the win for GB he just heightened my disregard for English media.

As others have said if you're Sottish, Irish or Welsh and you win your British lose and you're Scottish, Irish or Welsh.

Some years ago I was working late but left in time to catch the champions league final on the telly. The pre-match build up on the radio on the way home continually referred to the English champions and their chances against the Italians of Juventus. Then the commentary started to describe "problems" in the crowd inside Hysel stadium which got steadily worse. The commentator then started to go on about British fans letting the country down again. Not once before the trouble started was Britain mentioned yet the trouble kicked off and the rest of GB were dragged into it. English media have no intention of sharing glory with the rest of GB but are happy to share the less than glorious stuff.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Stirlingshire.

Has it moved?

I blame my satnav - she's always leading me astray.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    11 of the 12 players who took part in the 2005 Ashes series were awarded the MBE and Michael Vaughan (who was captain) was awarded the OBE.
    Jeez, honours for winning a tournament with only two teams in it!

I constantly used to beat my brother at snooker, I assume my award is in the post?

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    LH, if this was a one off slip of the tongue poor reference, then nobody would probably bat an eyelid. However, this is just a constant with 'english' media. At the weekend, the BBC sport website has the British girls WINING a SILVER medal at some trampoline championship, yet the SCOTTISH ladies LOST the final of the curling, same outcome/finishing position but one won whilst the other lost.
    Haha yer having a laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Haha yer having a laugh.
    That was the way BBC reported it. It's maybe insignificant in the grand scheme of things but just another irritating piece of reporting for some of us.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    Except that the trampolinists were competing for GB in the World Championships and the curlers were Scottish and competing for Scotland in the European Championships.

So the reporting was accurate.

The whole Scottish when they lose and British when they win thing is a myth, if enough people complain about it then it becomes fact. It could never be proved that they would have been referred to differently if the result had been different and confirmation bias means that people just hear what they want to hear, they don't notice it when Murray is referred to as Scottish when he wins, only notice it when he loses and conversely, they don't hear it when Murray is referred to as British when he loses, just when he wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergio sledge View Post
    Except that the trampolinists were competing for GB in the World Championships and the curlers were Scottish and competing for Scotland in the European Championships.

So the reporting was accurate.

The whole Scottish when they lose and British when they win thing is a myth, if enough people complain about it then it becomes fact. It could never be proved that they would have been referred to differently if the result had been different and confirmation bias means that people just hear what they want to hear, they don't notice it when Murray is referred to as Scottish when he wins, only notice it when he loses and conversely, they don't hear it when Murray is referred to as British when he loses, just when he wins.
    Load of pish.

There was plenty of focus on Andy Murray being Scottish, when he won his Grand Slam titles and Olympic Gold medal.

Load of pish.

There was plenty of focus on Andy Murray being Scottish, when he won his Grand Slam titles and Olympic Gold medal.
    Yes but selective hearing kicks in when folk want it to and particularly where sport, GB, England and Scotland are concerned.Biggest myth ever to come from Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Yes but selective hearing kicks in when folk want it to and particularly where sport, GB, England and Scotland are concerned.Biggest myth ever to come from Scotland.
    That's not you agreeing with me, is it?

Quick, delete it!

That's not you agreeing with me, is it?

Quick, delete it!

Eh? What you saying.................

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    Andy Murray is a Hibs fan, Scottish and British for sure too but never at any time in his life English (or a Jambo).

The last Hibs fan to win Wimbledon was Andy Murray in 2013
    The last Scottish man to win Wimbledon was Andy Murray in 2013.
    The last British man to win Wimbledon was Andy Murray in 2013.
    The last English man to win Wimbledon was Fred Perry in 1936.

The above are facts.

Congratulations to all the English guys on the British Davis Cup team for their contribution to our historic win.