hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can't remember but did Hibs only have that one area of the terrace as our entire allocation? Or did we have part of the main stand for seating as well?
    We definitely had the section of the main stand closest to the terracing allocation as that's where we were, right down next to the corner flag. Rob Mclean came and stood in front of us in injury time, blocking the view, getting ready to do some interviews after full time. Got a load of abuse and told to move out the way.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by O'Rourke3 View Post
    Was talking about this to a Falkirk supporter colleague this week. Can't quite remember the run in but the 3-4 semi came up. The equaliser not the winner was the one that was the most mental - and came close to the mayhem when this one went in. I was at the back of the terrace and ended up near the front in about 6 seconds.....
    Same here,I was making my way down the stairs when Doyle picked the ball up.stoped,ball in the net and the next thing I know I'm down the bottom in a mosh pit 😀 Fantastic

Quote Originally Posted by Glesgahibby View Post
    Same here,I was making my way down the stairs when Doyle picked the ball up.stoped,ball in the net and the next thing I know I'm down the bottom in a mosh pit 😀 Fantastic
    I came running out the bog with my belt and top button on my jeans still undone after hearing the roar. The concourse was pandemonium. Dozens of guys in similar siutations to me all jumping about mad, hugging each other and screaming away. Brilliant.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Pretty sure McCoist was injured for most of that season but managed a wonder goal v us. Erse. Richard Gough got dogs abuse that game.

We had half the main stand and the whole away end right round to the jungle. Parkhead was a dive back then.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

The half-time Band didn't play The Sash, that's an urban myth that has almost become accepted as fact.

They were a marching band that, to many of us in the Hibs end, were far too similar to the Orange/Republican flute bands. They marched round the pitch playing their tunes and stopped in front of the Rangers support and the guy banged his drum with the Rangers Fans shouting 'Rangers' at the end (in the same way as every football fan does, but with a drum instead of clapping)

When they then tried the exact same thing with the Hibs Support, they (undeservedly) got abuse.

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibayernian View Post
    The half-time Band didn't play The Sash, that's an urban myth that has almost become accepted as fact.

They were a marching band that, to many of us in the Hibs end, were far too similar to the Orange/Republican flute bands. They marched round the pitch playing their tunes and stopped in front of the Rangers support and the guy banged his drum with the Rangers Fans shouting 'Rangers' at the end (in the same way as every football fan does, but with a drum instead of clapping)

When they then tried the exact same thing with the Hibs Support, they (undeservedly) got abuse.
    I think you're right, it's one of the few things I do remember about that day. I can only presume that I enjoyed the pre match beverages too much.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar

It was a crowd called MacUmba (basically some members of a wee pipe band in Glasgow who did a carnival style thing on the side) and they definitely didn't play the sash. When the Hibs support seen the drummers dancing around and then playing to the Huns end, many decided they were some sort of FTP set up. . As you say, they tried to do the same at the Hibs end but too many minds had been made up.

As for the penalty incident, Keith Wright was booked for diving. On the TV it looked like a dive from the main camera angle, but the replay from the other side showed clearly that he was caught by the keeper's legs. He had no reason to dive as he was clean through on an open goal.

It was probably about the roughest I've ever felt at a match, having been at a heavy duty stag do the night before.

Diving wasnt invented back then,stone waller shirley

I believe it was the last Scottish final played with fans standing on terracing, do remember it being pretty wild when we equalised

Quote Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
    I believe it was the last Scottish final played with fans standing on terracing, do remember it being pretty wild when we equalised
    Ah, yet another claim to fame!

The bus I was due to be on was leaving early doors. Seats were booked by a rather sketchy mate of the time from a pub none of us had frequented. The bus didnt show a a busload of us were milling the streets. Cant quite recall how, but a bus was located and we got to some Jakey Celtic club in time to consume 6 swift pints and learns some local rumours about Ricahtd Gough which turned into a song.

The game itself was interrupted by frequent toilet visits as my bladder didnt like having six pints put in there in record time.

I have bno recolection of the half time band - probably at the toilet.

Penalty incident was at the far end so was hard to tell, but it was highly unusal then to be booked for diving. The scenes when donkey Dave equalised were unbelievable.

When McCoist wascoming on you just knew that he was going to score the winner...sadly it was probably the best goal he would ever score.

We shouldve won that day...from what I saw or remember seeing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    We definitely had the section of the main stand closest to the terracing allocation as that's where we were, right down next to the corner flag. Rob Mclean came and stood in front of us in injury time, blocking the view, getting ready to do some interviews after full time. Got a load of abuse and told to move out the way.
    I was sat with my son in the main stand. Hibs gave away vouchers at two home games - Raith Rovers and Dundee United(?) - and you could get one standing ticket per voucher or one seat per two vouchers. My son was 11 at the time and he wouldn't have seen a thing from the Terraces. So I got two seats with our four vouchers. I was queuing up all day from about 10:00 till 18:30 to get the tickets. The ticket office staff knocked off at 17:30 and the directors took over selling tickets. Dougie Cromb in my case!

Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    I was sat with my son in the main stand. Hibs gave away vouchers at two home games - Raith Rovers and Dundee United(?) - and you could get one standing ticket per voucher or one seat per two vouchers. My son was 11 at the time and he wouldn't have seen a thing from the Terraces. So I got two seats with our four vouchers. I was queuing up all day from about 10:00 till 18:30 to get the tickets. The ticket office staff knocked off at 17:30 and the directors took over selling tickets. Dougie Cromb in my case!
    Dougie cromb was involved in our tickets too. I was 13 and it was the first season in 4 that we didn't have seasons as I couldn't make Saturday games due to playing u14 games on Saturday afternoons. My dad wrote to mr cromb asking if there was any way we could get tickets as we thought we'd missed out. We received 2 tickets in reply with a letter from the chairman just asking that we go into the club shop to pay for them and keep it quiet how we'd got tickets. 20 years on it feels ok to spill the beans. Douglas Cromb, Hibernian legend.

Thats my (all be it hazy) memory of it as well, remember boys jumping over the fences and being chased by stewards when the band got to the Hibs end. It certainly livened up half time, was pretty funny at the time. These days there would be a full scale enquiry with front page headlines but it barely warranted a mention in the media as far as Im aware. Changed days.
    Last edited by Greenblood70; 28-11-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Dougie cromb was involved in our tickets too. I was 13 and it was the first yseason in 4 that we didn't have seasons as I couldn't make Saturday games due to playing u14 games on Saturday afternoons. My dad wrote to mr cromb asking if there was any way we could get tickets as we thought we'd missed out. We received 2 tickets in reply with a letter from the chairman just asking that we go into the club shop to pay for them and keep it quiet how we'd got tickets. 20 years on it feels ok to spill the beans. Douglas Cromb, Hibernian legend.
    He always came across as being a very genuine guy.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    The thing is, those with vouchers didn't have to queue - you could get your ticket(s) by post. However almost nobody, myself included, trusted neither the Royal Mail nor Hibs administrative abilities - thus the mile long queue.

I remember Dougie Cromb & Kenny McLean snr. came out and spent about an hour telling the people waiting that if they had vouchers they didn't have to queue, as well as simply having a natter with the fans. I think that meant a lot to those that were there.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    The main chance we had at 1 1 was a corner which broke to Gordon Hunter and he put it over the bar.

@hibs.net private member
    Jackson's winner in the semi was absolute bedlam.

Didn't get to the final but my dad did, lost himself in a scrum of bodies at the equaliser, chaos apparently, ended up about 20 yards away from his pals. Sally with the overhead against Leighton iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I remember the terracing behind the goal feeling ridiculously over crowded.

That might just have been because I was quite a young laddie to be fair but that's my over riding memory of that game.
    Took my three year old son to that game and nearly lost him on several occasions as it was overcrowded in bits

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    Took my three year old son to that game and nearly lost him on several occasions as it was overcrowded in bits
    Sheesht or expect a phone call frae social services!!

This is my first memory of watching Hibs on tv. Would have been about six at the time. Went bonkers when we equalised I recall and so upset when fat Sally struck the winner.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    The thing is, those with vouchers didn't have to queue - you could get your ticket(s) by post. However almost nobody, myself included, trusted neither the Royal Mail nor Hibs administrative abilities - thus the mile long queue.

I remember Dougie Cromb & Kenny McLean snr. came out and spent about an hour telling the people waiting that if they had vouchers they didn't have to queue, as well as simply having a natter with the fans. I think that meant a lot to those that were there.
    I remember going in the morning and being horrified by the length of the queue. It started in the former ticket office on Easter Road and stretched up Albion Road almost back to the stadium. We had been there so long that we all seemed to know each other. One women went back home to make tea for her children and came back an hour or so later and resumed her place in the queue.

Yes the directors did come along the queue late in the afternoon saying that if we put out vouchers in the post we would be guaranteed tickets. I had little confidence in those assurances and having been queuing for six hours decided to see it out. The extremely slow pace of transactions in the ticket office did not exactly inspire confidence in their ability to deliver. Had the ticket office shut when the staff knocked off, there would have been a riot.

Fair play to Dougie Cromb and others for engaging with those queuing and taking over in the ticket office.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    Pretty sure McCoist was injured for most of that season but managed a wonder goal v us. Erse. Richard Gough got dogs abuse that game.

We had half the main stand and the whole away end right round to the jungle. Parkhead was a dive back then.
    That was his first bit of action after breaking his leg playing for Scotland .
    It was mental when the giraffe headed in our goal . Was brilliant celebrating a goal on the terraces back in the day .

GGTTH
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

First Team Breakthrough
    I remember saying to my mate, who by the way was a blue nose...... That Sally could overhead kick another 100 times and never score that goal again....he replied aye yer right but wot a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    It was a crowd called MacUmba (basically some members of a wee pipe band in Glasgow who did a carnival style thing on the side) and they definitely didn't play the sash. When the Hibs support seen the drummers dancing around and then playing to the Huns end, many decided they were some sort of FTP set up. . As you say, they tried to do the same at the Hibs end but too many minds had been made up.
    It was the swaggering style of the drum major that reminded some of an Orange band.

A member of the band, who was a Hibs supporter, posted on hibs-list at the time denying that the bad were pro-Rangers in any way.

I never saw any problem with them.

@hibs.net private member
    It was the swaggering style of the drum major that reminded some of an Orange band.

A member of the band, who was a Hibs supporter, posted on hibs-list at the time denying that the bad were pro-Rangers in any way.

I never saw any problem with them.
    I remember that, and I remember him sounding quite distressed that it had been interpreted that way.

I remember being down the very front just to the right of centre. Wasn't that crowded down there (looks packed on the video on this thread mind!) but was a fairly horrendous view! Can still picture McCoist's goal though 😪

Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    It was definitely packed. I'm sure I was in there as well (I would only have been 15 or just turned 16 depending on when it was played). The celebration when Donkey scored the og was mental. I thought we had a great chance to win it that year, only to see fat Sally come off the bench after being injured for ages - think everyone knew what was coming from that point!
    the game was played in October 91 not sure of the actual date though when we won the cup in 2007 I also had a wee laddie in the March of the year

Quote Originally Posted by gav71 View Post
    the game was played in October 91 not sure of the actual date though when we won the cup in 2007 I also had a wee laddie in the March of the year
    It was october 24th 1993.
    Last edited by Mr White; 30-11-2015 at 11:34 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I remember being in the main stand too, right at the front with my dad and brother, he took us there for much the same reason, I still remember it being a terrible vantage point, I can't remember why though