Voters
170. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mowbray

47 27.65%
  • Stubbs

123 72.35%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Love what Stubbs is doing, but voted Mowbray, this time next year if we've achieved promotion then I think it'll be the other way around!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Stubbs and Hibs are progressing but this team and manager are miles away from Mowbrays team at the moment.

I don't think you can make comparisons between the two. Mowbray inherited a group of talented players and added to it , Stubbs has assembled a group of talented players, but had little from the academy to work with. Mowbray was up against tougher opposition than Stubbs, but Stubbs has shown he can win games against tough opposition too.

Dunno where I'm going with this

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stubbs and Hibs are progressing but this team and manager are miles away from Mowbrays team at the moment.
    Please remind me what TM won at Hibs

Quote Originally Posted by cmcd View Post
    League Cup. Collins merely showed up in proxy to collect the trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    3rd and 4th place in the league, qualification for europe through league positions.

We would kill for those finishes now.

I very much doubt Stubbs will emulate these finishes, as if he did he'd be away after the first success in the SPL.

I think we'd all be pleased he had achieved it, but sad he'd gone. It seems by bringing in managers like Mowbray and Stubbs, the minute they get any real success they will look to further their career back in England.

I suppose the secret is to keep the success going, maybe if this scenario turn out to be correct, Dempster hopefully has more success than the clown who's been doing it before.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    3rd and 4th place in the league, qualification for europe through league positions.

We would kill for those finishes now.

I very much doubt Stubbs will emulate these finishes, as if he did he'd be away after the first success in the SPL.

I think we'd all be pleased he had achieved it, but sad he'd gone. It seems by bringing in managers like Mowbray and Stubbs, the minute they get any real success they will look to further their career back in England.

I suppose the secret is to keep the success going, maybe if this scenario turn out to be correct, Dempster hopefully has more success than the clown who's been doing it before.
    I agree with a lot you have said here Blackpool. but to be fair to Petrie, it has to be stated that he had a lot more to contend with, regarding getting monies in for putting the club back on a stable financial footing whilst at the same time getting the stadium up to a first class standard for the future. there were other issues to deal with too, such as dealing with player mutiny, (although he should have backed the manager?) and not withstanding, the constant underhand press comments and unscrupulous dealings of certain player's agents etc. I did and always will blame RP for his handling of the Riordan situation when he went to Celtic, but I agree that if Alan Stubbs gets us to where we want to be soon, the pressure will be on for us to retain him, or more importantly for him,to decide when he takes an offer that should invariably happen. All in All, bringing in an untried young English manager to a club like ours is good for the manager, if he has a modicum of success.

Testimonial Due
    Mubbs

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    I agree with a lot you have said here Blackpool. but to be fair to Petrie, it has to be stated that he had a lot more to contend with, regarding getting monies in for putting the club back on a stable financial footing whilst at the same time getting the stadium up to a first class standard for the future. there were other issues to deal with too, such as dealing with player mutiny, (although he should have backed the manager?) and not withstanding, the constant underhand press comments and unscrupulous dealings of certain player's agents etc. I did and always will blame RP for his handling of the Riordan situation when he went to Celtic, but I agree that if Alan Stubbs gets us to where we want to be soon, the pressure will be on for us to retain him, or more importantly for him,to decide when he takes an offer that should invariably happen. All in All, bringing in an untried young English manager to a club like ours is good for the manager, if he has a modicum of success.
    C'mon lets not rewrite, in the division Hibs were in the last decade it would have to have taken a Football naivete or someone on a suicide mission to have put Hibs where Hibs ended up after calderwood/fenlon/butcher because the rest of the division was so weak & skint with crap managers who had nothing in their lockers except they were ex players who had done some sort of SFA course. I dont think you or me or most folk who watch football regularly could have got a club the size of Hibs relegated against the teams who did not have near the same resources,in the ladt few years of mediocrity in the financlal crisis. Of course maybe I am wrong but "(its not gonna happen)" Mr Petrie oversaw a relegation with no huns & -15 poppy thieves & still people like him. OK, but it has to be said that his "football brain" if he wasnt planning for another "great adventure" in the 1st, should be put out gardening further than the hopeless halfwits he last employed for OUR team, not his, the ladt time he was allowed a decision. Shocking tenure from a chairman who should b recognised & remembered as being shocking during the demise of Hibernian FC.

never said I liked him only pointing out a few important facts. his last 3 managers were a total disaster. the rot really set in, when Calderwood's possible move fell through

Mowbray inherited a great bunch of youngsters, added in a good mix of experienced players and delivered some of the best football and results seen at ER in decades. Hugely impressive.

Stubbs had a very different challenge - build a football club from the ground up after the most demoralising of seasons. His signings have been 100% spot on, and the way he dealt with the Allan affair was also impressive. It was a huge task that most managers would have shirked.

In football terms, there is only one winner - Mowbray. In the way they've gone about their own respective challenges, both have been impressive. If Stubbs manages Hibs to the title this season, ahead of the Huns, then that will have been even more impressive than anything Mowbray did at ER.

Didn't saint Tony state he had taken Hibs as far as he could and then promptly pissed off down the road to West Brom a few days before we played the mutants. This says to me he could NOT win the cup.

Source: Tony Mowbray.

Extra brownie points:

Tony Mowbray took over Hibs during May 2004.................West Bromwich Albion appointed Mowbray as their manager on 13 October 2006. He didn't have any chances to win a cup with "his" team in that period between May 2004 and October 2006?

COLLINS won the cup. FACT. Irrefutable.

ENDOF

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    Didn't saint Tony state he had taken Hibs as far as he could and then promptly pissed off down the road to West Brom a few days before we played the mutants. This says to me he could NOT win the cup.

Source: Tony Mowbray.

Extra brownie points:

Tony Mowbray took over Hibs during May 2004.................West Bromwich Albion appointed Mowbray as their manager on 13 October 2006. He didn't have any chances to win a cup with "his" team in that period between May 2004 and October 2006?

COLLINS won the cup. FACT. Irrefutable.

ENDOF
    In which case he's also responsible for us losing to Dunfermline in the Scottish cup semi .... for which shootings too good for him

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    In which case he's also responsible for us losing to Dunfermline in the Scottish cup semi .... for which shootings too good for him
    Just as well managers don't look at these pages as if they did they would never set foot in ER

Stubbs for me.

Mowbray was set up to win and inherited a superb squad that was brimming with talent. He did well, particularly with some of the players that he added but in spite of all of that he still had some horrible results and the less said about the keepers the better.

Stubbs inherited an utter omnishambles of a club. We were arguably worse than we were at the final whistle of the playoff when he took over - Butcher had already started a cull by then and maybe Stubbs would have wanted to work with McPake, Thomson or Taiwo?

He had a credible side very quickly, if not a great one, and set about improving all aspects of the side. Unfortunately our lack of a cutting edge cost us last season but that can't disguise the drastic improvements we made.

This season we have improved further and imo look the real deal.

You can justifiably point out that we've not been in the top league during Stubbs' time at the club. But Hearts last year and Rangers this year have been tough opponents and sides of their quality would never normally be in this division so it is a slightly false position. In the head-to heads with these sides he has done well, as well as when we've faced teams from the league above in the cups.

Unfortunately I think he'll leave for the first decent offer down South but I'd love to see him stay at least until the end of this season and get a massive one over der hun.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    My current vote is for mogga, but when alan gets us back in the prem and if we get into europe and stay in the top 6 then ill go for Stubbs !

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Mowbray was set up to win and inherited a superb squad that was brimming with talent.
    You sure about that?

Mowbray inherited a squad after two years of cost-cutting, with most of the high earners gone or on their way.

Yes, the Golden Generation were just breaking through, but were raw.

We were playing percentage-based fitba under Bobby Williamson and it wasn't entertaining.

Mowbray and Venus coached the kids and encouraged them to express themselves. They signed Boozy, Murphy, Shiels and others, made ludicrously positive promises about how we would play attractive, attacking football and, even more ludicrously, started delivering on those promises from the off.

Boozy and Murphy, in particular, were absolutely critical to the way we played that first season. Without Mowbray, they wouldn't have joined Hibs.

Riordan and Brown, in particular, flourished under the new regime, encouraged to express themselves. O'Connor and Thomson had shown more the season before, but undoubtedly improved. Whittaker was trusted at RB and later Fletcher given his opportunity.

A classic bit of Hibs.net revisionism here, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    You sure about that?

Mowbray inherited a squad after two years of cost-cutting, with most of the high earners gone or on their way.

We were playing percentage-based fitba under Bobby Williamson and it wasn't entertaining.

Mowbray and Venus coached the kids and encouraged them to express themselves. They signed Boozy, Murphy, Shiels and others, made ludicrously positive promises about how we would play attractive, attacking football and, even more ludicrously, started delivering on those promises from the off.

Boozy and Murphy, in particular, were absolutely critical to the way we played that first season. Without Mowbray, they wouldn't have joined Hibs.

Riordan and Brown, in particular, flourished under the new regime, encouraged to express themselves. O'Connor and Thomson had shown more the season before, but undoubtedly improved. Whittaker was trusted at RB and later Fletcher given his opportunity.

Fair points.

But given the choice, as a manager I'd be happy to inherit Riordan, Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Whittaker and Fletcher any day of the week. Loads to work with and get the best out of. He even had Tam McManus and Grant Brebner who were decent players to choose to get rid of. There's no doubt Mowbray did well and added quality to supplement what was already there (Chris Hogg and Rob Jones probably deserve a mention as well).

But do you not agree that when we are comparing Mowbray and Stubbs it has to be acknowledged that it is reasonable common sense to take these talented players and allow them to express themselves?

Stubbs inherited the likes of James Collins, Michael Nelson, Ryan McGivern, Paul Heffernan, Alex Harris and Paul Cairney. They needed shown the door, not encouraged to express themselves. And in recruiting new players he was doing so from a club that was on it's knees in the First Division about to lock horns with Rangers and Hearts (therefore a big ask to get promoted at the first attempt). Mowbray was inviting players to the Premier League to play with an exciting and talented crop of youngsters.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Yes he is. But then, the players switched off after the League Cup win and thought they were already on their holidays.

A similar thing happened to Spurs under Jacques Santini - won their League Cup and then chucked the rest of the season.

Alex Ferguson said that winning was a habit. The proper response to winning a trophy was not to go on a bender and revel in it, but immediately focus on winning the next one.

For clubs starved of recent success, like us (and Spurs), this is a hard habit to acquire.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    You sure about that?

Agree totally.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Mowbray all day long, he had us playing in europe through league qualification. Some of the football was the best i have witnessed since the early 70s.

For consistent entertainment and quality football over a prolonged period the Mowbray era was the best since the Tornadoes.

If Stubbs can get us promoted and implement his football philosophy consistently and successfully across the whole of next season then that's the time to make any valid comparison.

There are a lot of similarities between Stubbs and Mowbray in how they want the game played but I think Stubbs has a pragmatic edge about him that Mowbray didn't. That might be the factor that hopefully has me voting for Stubbs if this poll appears again at the end of next season.

Don't agree. ..Collins got us thru a tough semi and the final. ..his Cup imo
    Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    Respect of the fans?

Quote Originally Posted by NORTHERNHIBBY View Post
    Respect of the fans?
    Lost that when he did a runner and followed it up by doing the huddle at Easter Road on his return as Celtic manager.

Hearts and minds.

Mowbray for me. Sime great memories and the best I can remember as a Hibs fan.

Stubbs would have to win promotion this year to come close IMO. I like what he's doing though and he's probably the best we've had since TM left.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Don't agree. ..Collins got us thru a tough semi and the final. ..his Cup imo

Not to forget the Quarter final against them....was his first or second game in charge I think.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Not to forget the Quarter final against them....was his first or second game in charge I think.
    Good point...Jones header 1 nil going on 7

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Who gets your vote.

What's this all about? Who gets my vote? Stubbs is here! Mowbray is gone! No brainer!

Let us not forget that Mowbray made some very poor decisions. He got us playing some fantastic football, but we really struggled to break down some teams (i.e. Falkirk, ICT and Killie), Also, how could he play Gary Caldwell as right full back in that game at Hampden (semi final). He lost more games than won against Aberdeen, Hertz, ICT, Celtic, Killie and Rangers. Would we have won the LC with Tony in charge - not sure!!