hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Graeme Smith

Almost as bad as me in 2004 arriving in Motherwell to watch the Hibees only to find out that it had been postponed during the morning. Walking past the parade shopping centre in Motherwell ten minutes before kick off I had a sneaky feeling that something wasn't quite right.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Almost as bad as me in 2004 arriving in Motherwell to watch the Hibees only to find out that it had been postponed during the morning. Walking past the parade shopping centre in Motherwell ten minutes before kick off I had a sneaky feeling that something wasn't quite right.
    I got the train up from Newcastle for a lunchtime kick-off vs Celtc at ER one Saturday a few years ago. A few morning ales, really looking forward to it, arrived at Waverley, nice walk through the surprisingly quiet streets in the sunshine, arrived at Albion Rd with the stadium completely dead and shut up

The game had been moved to the Sunday for TV the previous week and I hadn't checked the media I was so pissed off I just went straight back down on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I got the train up from Newcastle for a lunchtime kick-off vs Celtc at ER one Saturday a few years ago. A few morning ales, really looking forward to it, arrived at Waverley, nice walk through the surprisingly quiet streets in the sunshine, arrived at Albion Rd with the stadium completely dead and shut up

The game had been moved to the Sunday for TV the previous week and I hadn't checked the media I was so pissed off I just went straight back down on the train.
    Done similar in reverse with a mate a while back.

Hibs beat Motherwell on the Friday night, we both enjoyed it and met on the Saturday morning in keen anticipation of a trip to watch Newcastle beat West Brom. Arrived in Newcastle and where surprised by the lack of Newcastle shirts on show as the city centre is usually buzzing pre game. Asked a local and after an awkward silence he informed us the game was on Sunday due to Newcastle having played in the Europa League on the Thursday. Checked our tickers and sure enough that was the case.

A hastily arranged hotel, a slightly nervy phone call home and we enjoyed a Saturday night in Newcastle and a last minute goal on the Sunday secured a home win. Good weekend really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Done similar in reverse with a mate a while back.

Hibs beat Motherwell on the Friday night, we both enjoyed it and met on the Saturday morning in keen anticipation of a trip to watch Newcastle beat West Brom. Arrived in Newcastle and where surprised by the lack of Newcastle shirts on show as the city centre is usually buzzing pre game. Asked a local and after an awkward silence he informed us the game was on Sunday due to Newcastle having played in the Europa League on the Thursday. Checked our tickers and sure enough that was the case.

A hastily arranged hotel, a slightly nervy phone call home and we enjoyed a Saturday night in Newcastle and a last minute goal on the Sunday secured a home win. Good weekend really.
    I couldn't decide whether I was more angry with myself, for not checking the fixture time, or modern football, for mucking about with ko times to prostitute itself to the tv companies...I bet you were the same!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I couldn't believe how bad the goals were that he let in for the 6-6 game. I genuinely thought he was match fixing, the only thing that made me doubt it was his penalty save, even though he gave it away in the first place. Shocking keeper who was part of an abysmal goalie school.
    Got to be said that crossed my mind also.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Got to be said that crossed my mind also.
    Hughes made some changes that maybe didn't help although I could see the argument. He thought that although we had obviously done well to score the goals that the forwards had stopped working and it was allowing them to come at us.

I don't think anyone could have envisaged what happended next but we had been on a very poor run and confidence wasn't going to take much to go again once they got the momentum.

However, it was one of the most bizarre goalkeeping performances I've seen - I think he took a knock on the head which might have been a factor. If not then yes, you could argue that it lloked like he was doing his best to chuck it. Saving a penalty though just added to the strangeness!

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Hughes made some changes that maybe didn't help although I could see the argument. He thought that although we had obviously done well to score the goals that the forwards had stopped working and it was allowing them to come at us.

I don't think anyone could have envisaged what happended next but we had been on a very poor run and confidence wasn't going to take much to go again once they got the momentum.

However, it was one of the most bizarre goalkeeping performances I've seen - I think he took a knock on the head which might have been a factor. If not then yes, you could argue that it lloked like he was doing his best to chuck it. Saving a penalty though just added to the strangeness!
    Agree though the giving away of it seemed incredible, charged out and totally mistimed the challenge.

The mistake must have been due to some odd rays emanating from Ochilview. My Airdrie supporting neighbour did the same earlier this season, going to see his team there when they were actually playing at home. Fortunately for him Airdrie is nearer Stenhousemuir than Brechin is.

Smith made another error when interviewed on Talksport this afternoon, saying that Ochilview is shared by Stirling Albion - wrong again.