hibs.net Messageboard

Hotel recommendations

Hi, was wondering if I could get any recommendations on hotels/decentb&b.
    I'm coming up in January with my wife for my 50th (and praying for a home draw on the 9th) any help appreciated.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ignore the reputation but you can't go wrong with any of the Travelodges in Edinburgh - I've stayed in the ones on York Place, St Mary's St and this weekend stayed in the one on Waterloo Place. You know what you're getting, and you're only sleeping there anyway.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ignore the reputation but you can't go wrong with any of the Travelodges in Edinburgh - I've stayed in the ones on York Place, St Mary's St and this weekend stayed in the one on Waterloo Place. You know what you're getting, and you're only sleeping there anyway.
    I was impressed with the Queen St one.

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Thanks, I will price them up, certainly don't have anything against travelodge

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    It's your birthday, you want it to be a bit better than Travelodge (IMHO)

For something better try Lastminute.com or Superbreaks secret hotels. I am just back from Dublin, Croke Park Hotel 4* hotel, upgraded to superior room for £60 a night on Lastminute. Belfast Superbreaks secret hotel - Ramada Encore 3* £56 a night including breakfast.

Check Malmaison or the Glasshouse as well.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

The Links Hotel in Brunstfield has not long undergone a refurb and seems to have a lot of deals on at the moment. Decent location so might be worth a look.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Remember public servants get 20% discount with Hilton too for anyone in that sector. The Hilton at Bread Street is superb, and better than the Hilton Grosvenor and some of the rooms better than some at the Caley!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    It's your birthday, you want it to be a bit better than Travelodge (IMHO)

For something better try Lastminute.com or Superbreaks secret hotels. I am just back from Dublin, Croke Park Hotel 4* hotel, upgraded to superior room for £60 a night on Lastminute. Belfast Superbreaks secret hotel - Ramada Encore 3* £56 a night including breakfast.

Check Malmaison or the Glasshouse as well.
    Cheers gf, will check them out

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Remember public servants get 20% discount with Hilton too for anyone in that sector. The Hilton at Bread Street is superb, and better than the Hilton Grosvenor and some of the rooms better than some at the Caley!
    Thanks scouse but i would need 80% discount for the hilton, I'm only a poor window cleaner .

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Links Hotel in Brunstfield has not long undergone a refurb and seems to have a lot of deals on at the moment. Decent location so might be worth a look.
    Cheers pb, all input greatly appreciated.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rotherhamrob View Post
    Thanks scouse but i would need 80% discount for the hilton, I'm only a poor window cleaner .
    A common misconception, plenty of bargains to be had at Hilton, even the Caley sells on lastminute.com and such like. Oh and Window Cleaners aren't poor

If your looking for something a bit different, then channings over the dean bridge is excellent.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I would imagine that the beginning of January would be a good time to get a cheap deal.

United we stand here....

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    I would imagine that the beginning of January would be a good time to get a cheap deal.
    Certainly hope so, they'll all be quiet after the new year

Quote Originally Posted by TRC View Post
    If your looking for something a bit different, then channings over the dean bridge is excellent.
    Thanks, will check it out.

A common misconception, plenty of bargains to be had at Hilton, even the Caley sells on lastminute.com and such like. Oh and Window Cleaners aren't poor
    Unfortunately this one is, I don't drive so all my work is close by, start my driving lessons in the new year then I can take on more work, hopefully commercial :-)

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by rotherhamrob View Post
    They could charge a lot more if they called themselves 'Vision Enhancement Engineers'.

I agree with Scouse, though. Hilton are a decent hotel chain and I'm doing a lot of work with a number of their hotels at the moment. You'll probably be able to get a decent room-only rate and simply wine and dine elsewhere.