hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheltenham 2016

Thistlecrack certainly looks the one to beat in the WH.

There's a wee rumour that Bob's Worth may well run in the race. Personally I'd like to see Annie Power have a go at it but not sure if she's being aimed at the Mares Hurdle again.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

Ladbrokes looks like the place to be putting bets on for The KG on Sat, bets returned as a free bet if 2nd to the Fav, although the race already covered by their CH4 offer anyway.

I think I'll be a Cue Card man, looks a different horse after its summer operation. I'll need to put a wee bet on Silviniaco too, just in case.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 23-12-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ladbrokes looks like the place to be putting bets on for The KG on Sat, bets returned as a free bet if 2nd to the Fav, although the race already covered by their CH4 offer anyway.

I think I'll be a Cue Card man, looks a different horse after its summer operation. I'll need to put a wee bet on Silviniaco too, just in case.
    I was watching an interview with Paul Nicholls the other day and he was saying Conti was looking good. He was struggling after the Betfair but he had a couple of sarcoids, which he is prone to, between his front legs that day which have since been treated, he said he was very sore afterwards and had been doubtful to even run in the weeks leading up. In saying that he also said he would have struggled to beat Cue Card that day regardless.

I'll be going on Vatour in the KG despite the dodgy reappearance, Tea for Two in the Kauto Star Novices and will invest any winnings on Sprinter Sacre in the Desert Orchid.

The last time I checked the RP website Mullins and Elliott had 3 horses entered in two of the pre KG races, think I'll have a bash on whichever they end up running.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    The Mullins MO makes me 99% sure that Annie Power turns up in the World Hurdle. They're a winners operation.
    Big Vautour fan but will be swerving him on Saturday didn't like the performance going right handed. Can't forget the way Cue Card emptied in this race a couple of years ago so Conti EW for me.

The last time I checked the RP website Mullins and Elliott had 3 horses entered in two of the pre KG races, think I'll have a bash on whichever they end up running.
    None of Elliott's 3 entries are running in the 1400 and Mullins is running the jolly in the 1435

Made a wee mistake with The Laddies offer, if the SP Fav wins The King George all losing bets will be refunded as a free bet up to £25.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 25-12-2015 at 07:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treadstone View Post
    The Mullins MO makes me 99% sure that Annie Power turns up in the World Hurdle. They're a winners operation.
    Big Vautour fan but will be swerving him on Saturday didn't like the performance going right handed. Can't forget the way Cue Card emptied in this race a couple of years ago so Conti EW for me.
    They are winners so she will go to the Mares. Mullins has said this already although they are a powerful stable I find them to be slightly safe. Annie Power no doubt has the ability to win the WH but if the Mares is there for the taking she will go there.

I'm with Vautour in the Kind Dode and Native River in the Kauto Star. Doubts are Tea For Two staying 3m and NR showed he is a proper stayer this season.

Having a small punt on Open Eagle in the 1st at Kempton today.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Distant 2nd.

@hibs.net private member
    Anything give Silvianco Conti a chance?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    Anything give Silvianco Conti a chance?
    See my post above re Nicholls talking him up, I personally can't seeing him win though and he's a horse I really like.

As time ticks by I'm increasingly drawn to Cue Card, the surgery he had in the summer seems to have seen him become the horse everyone thought he could be and he's not that didferently priced compared to last year when he was a bit of a no hoper.

Get in Tea for Two.

Fancied that horse for this for a while and done the business well.

Some performance by Faugheen. Outstanding turn of foot and answered a few questions.

Photo in the feature.

Think Cue Card got it.

Go on Paddy B!

Go on Paddy B!
    Outstanding ride to get him up from there.

I was in the bookies watching and a few of us were on Cue Card, with 3 to jump, Brennan nudging and Walsh still sitting still on Vatour we all said he was never getting up, one boy even threw his slip away. Even the jump at the last was messy. Totally different horse now and stamina questions have been answered.

Aye, approaching the last thought I was on the winner, 10yds after I didn't! All worked out fine though. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Outstanding ride to get him up from there.

I was in the bookies watching and a few of us were on Cue Card, with 3 to jump, Brennan nudging and Walsh still sitting still on Vatour we all said he was never getting up, one boy even threw his slip away. Even the jump at the last was messy. Totally different horse now and stamina questions have been answered.
    It was a great finish, but in some ways a bit of a strange race too. A lot of tactics were involved in this race, and in truth not many horses really got into it. I'd really thought the jockey might have had Smad Place up there leading, considering how well he won the Hennessy, and Cue Card is pretty well a confirmed front runner as well. Difficult to tell if Don Cossack would have been in the mix, he was under pressure but staying on when he fell, and I just think there's a bit of a question over the trip with Vautour, who still ran a great race. Sadly Sivianaco Conte does not seem the horse he was. If you watch how Cue Card was ridden, in the last mile of the race he seemed to come on and off the bridle, but he definitely fought well for the win. I'm going to be controversial here, because I really like Cue Card, but I don't believe either the 1st or the 2nd in this race will win the Gold Cup, and with Coneygree out for the season it wouldn't surprise me if another horse that either makes the running or sits up with the pace, and stays the extra 2 furlongs, wins the Gold Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    It was a great finish, but in some ways a bit of a strange race too. A lot of tactics were involved in this race, and in truth not many horses really got into it. I'd really thought the jockey might have had Smad Place up there leading, considering how well he won the Hennessy, and Cue Card is pretty well a confirmed front runner as well. Difficult to tell if Don Cossack would have been in the mix, he was under pressure but staying on when he fell, and I just think there's a bit of a question over the trip with Vautour, who still ran a great race. Sadly Sivianaco Conte does not seem the horse he was. If you watch how Cue Card was ridden, in the last mile of the race he seemed to come on and off the bridle, but he definitely fought well for the win. I'm going to be controversial here, because I really like Cue Card, but I don't believe either the 1st or the 2nd in this race will win the Gold Cup, and with Coneygree out for the season it wouldn't surprise me if another horse that either makes the running or sits up with the pace, and stays the extra 2 furlongs, wins the Gold Cup.
    No arguments from me re the Gold Cup, it's wide open and there for anyone who really wants it.

I wonder if the connections of Many Clouds could be tempted to have another go at it. He put up a great show a couple of weeks ago under a lot of weight and you wonder if he would suit and fancy making it a real stamina test by going out strong. Obviously defending the GN is his main aim but it's there for the taking imo.

No arguments from me re the Gold Cup, it's wide open and there for anyone who really wants it.

I wonder if the connections of Many Clouds could be tempted to have another go at it. He put up a great show a couple of weeks ago under a lot of weight and you wonder if he would suit and fancy making it a real stamina test by going out strong. Obviously defending the GN is his main aim but it's there for the taking imo.
    Many Clouds is a very good horse, and I had him when he won the National last season. I actually thought they might not run him in the National again, he seemed to be a bit wobbly after the race and took a wee while to recover, according to the trainer, and if he runs in the Gold Cup again (6th last year) I'd be very surprised if he ran in the National, particularly if he finishes in the first 3. Right now, Ireland have a very strong hand in the GC. Don Cossack, Djaccadam and Road To Riches. But as you say, this year it looks wide open, so there's definitely money to be made. If I was having a bet right now I might stick with Smad Place each way, but as I was saying in my previous post, a lot depends on the tactics. IMO his jockey should do what he did in the Henessey and jump from the front, where he destroyed the opposition. He's not nearly the same horse when he tries to sit in behind the leaders, which is what he did today and finished 4th.

Are we seriously talking about a glorified handicap winner winning The Gold Cup? I'll reserve judgement until March, at the moment Cue Card will do.

Bed time!

Are we seriously talking about a glorified handicap winner winning The Gold Cup? I'll reserve judgement until March, at the moment Cue Card will do.

Bed time!
    Tbh Many Clouds is a bit different from a lot of recent National winners. It tends to be older horses that win at Aintree and they rarely have much in the way of ambition after that given the inevitable hike in weight. Many Clouds only turned 8 in January and could feasibly run for another 3 or 4 seasons, he's also raced and won in graded company before.

I'm not saying he will win the Gold Cup, just that his owner and trainer could be tempted by the opportunity. A few dour stayers have won the race in recent years, Lord Windemere and Synchronised spring to mind, and it's not unknown for horses who are run in handicaps under big weights, see Denman and Desert Orchid, to revert back to grade 1 level and win at Cheltenham.

Sprinter Sacre beats Sire De Grugy by about a length in the Desert Orchid.

Neither really look the force they were but SS jumped really well. Waited a long time to see those 2 battle it out and wasn't disappointed, it was close and a great finish.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TreadsoneScot
    Sprinter Sacre beats Sire De Grugy by about a length in the Desert Orchid.

Neither really look the force they were but SS jumped really well. Waited a long time to see those 2 battle it out and wasn't disappointed, it was close and a great finish.
    Sprinter Sacre finding something off the bridle which is not usually the case with him. Good time too. Still looks beatable but definitely going right way after his troubles of last two years.

At his peak Sprinter Sacre was just about the best 2 mile chaser I've ever seen. Yesterday was a great race between 2 horses that in their own way, have captured the public's imagination. Either of them, at their best would easily have seen off Un De Sceaux or Dodging Bullets, but this year the Champion Chase is interesting. Un De Sceaux looks a very good horse but he's a dodgy jumper (he fell again yesterday). And I see Aiden O'Brien has got the favourite for the Triumph Hurdle, hmm.

Fine performance by Seeyouatmidnight at Cheltenham today to give Scotland a rare victory down there.

Next stop the RSA Chase for him I reckon. If, and it'a big if, he was successful would he be our 1st Festival winner since Brindisi Breeze?

Un De Sceaux looked back to his best at the weekend. Douvan continued to look imperious and Faugheen put Nichols Canyon back in his place. Mullins juggernaut got to have the British and Irish trainers quaking in their boots?

Quote Originally Posted by jackkennedy1 View Post
    Un De Sceaux looked back to his best at the weekend. Douvan continued to look imperious and Faugheen put Nichols Canyon back in his place. Mullins juggernaut got to have the British and Irish trainers quaking in their boots?
    He's into even money to win the British trainers championship this season because of his hand at Cheltenham. Faugheen especially looked scary at Leopardstown, that was a near flawless hurdling display (exxusing the mistake at the last). UDS against Sprinter Sacre and potentially Vatour could well be a duel that will be long remembered.

Be interesting to see what Djakadam shows when he's next seen shortly as the Gold Cup is still wide open imo. Interesting to see Nicholls has give Silviniaco Conti an entry in the World Hurdle and it's looking like Baltazhar King may make a comeback in the Glenfaclas as well.

He's into even money to win the British trainers championship this season because of his hand at Cheltenham. Faugheen especially looked scary at Leopardstown, that was a near flawless hurdling display (exxusing the mistake at the last). UDS against Sprinter Sacre and potentially Vatour could well be a duel that will be long remembered.

Be interesting to see what Djakadam shows when he's next seen shortly as the Gold Cup is still wide open imo. Interesting to see Nicholls has give Silviniaco Conti an entry in the World Hurdle and it's looking like Baltazhar King may make a comeback in the Glenfaclas as well.
    I had all my eggs in he Vautour basket in the King Dode and came up just short. Think he's best over 2m5 but he's too good for the Ryanair and deserves a shot at a Championship race. I would love to see him line up in the Gold Cup. Wouldn't envy Ruby having to choose between him, Djkadam and Don Poli.