hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 279
  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,446

    Examples of how we're "Better Together" thread - all welcome

    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!




  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    Tories or Labour, they're all Better together.

    https://t.co/O4mBCu9kMw


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,219
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Can we not just have an snp/indy propaganda mega thread rather than loads of little ones?
    Last edited by Gatecrasher; 14-11-2015 at 09:56 PM.
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we not just have an snp/indy propaganda mega thread rather than loads of little ones?
    Why? Is it too tough to face up to all the realities, you want to sweep them under a single carpet?

    FWIW, I'm not SNP and I won't be voting for them anytime soon.

    I'm a neutral observer.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_O..._constituency)
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  6. #5
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,783
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Is it too tough to face up to all the realities, you want to sweep them under a single carpet?

    FWIW, I'm not SNP and I won't be voting for them anytime soon.

    I'm a neutral
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_O..._constituency)
    Neutral until SNP puts candidates forward in England?
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,446
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Neutral until SNP puts candidates forward in England?
    As I said, neutral.

    I was a Labour Party member for 20 years, you know.

    The way UK politics is now, I'm considering joining the Lib Dems.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,219
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? Is it too tough to face up to all the realities, you want to sweep them under a single carpet?

    FWIW, I'm not SNP and I won't be voting for them anytime soon.

    I'm a neutral observer.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/York_O..._constituency)
    Oh Aye that's it right enough how about checking my post history on the subject and you will see I was pretty neutral but voted no because I felt the case for indy wasn't made.

    It seems like every time something happens like jobs going or the big bad tories done something a new thread started along the lines of above, it's making things all very messy on the message board. Is it any wonder unless there's a tragic or major event the holy ground is deserted.
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,756
    Still waiting for an example though.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,688
    We get to do our own road signs.
    Space to let

  11. #10
    The 2014 referendum must be one of the only times that the losers of a vote have spent the next 12 months gloating about it. I blame the women-hating, Hillsborough-victim-baiting 'Rev' Stu Campbell.

  12. #11
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,754
    As Scotland cannot impliment its own employment policies on Sunday trading if England has different Sunday opening hours it would seem that the two economies are so interlinked that policy alignment between England and Scotland is essential. This would render independence unworkable. Seperate policies don't work.

  13. #12
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,912
    How's about due to the collapse in the oil price that the SNP got so massively wrong we are in a better place as we have the combined revenues of the UK to lessen the blow? Although I am sure someone will come along and point out it was not the SNPs fault and someone else is to blame.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member easty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,420
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How's about due to the collapse in the oil price that the SNP got so massively wrong we are in a better place as we have the combined revenues of the UK to lessen the blow? Although I am sure someone will come along and point out it was not the SNPs fault and someone else is to blame.
    It's the SNPs fault that oil prices went down?

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The 2014 referendum must be one of the only times that the losers of a vote have spent the next 12 months gloating about it. I blame the women-hating, Hillsborough-victim-baiting 'Rev' Stu Campbell.
    They remind me of my old auntie, never happy unless she was moaning or complaining about something.

    Maybe if the Yes voters put as much effort into trying to point out the positives of an independent Scotland instead of always focusing on the negatives of where we are today they may have done better.

  16. #15
    ADMIN marinello59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    I still live in hope.
    Posts
    28,783
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's the SNPs fault that oil prices went down?
    No, blaming the SNP would be silly.
    If prices had gone up it would have been to their credit though.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,912
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's the SNPs fault that oil prices went down?
    I thought this was about examples of how we could be better together? Was it a bad example?

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    35,446
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought this was about examples of how we could be better together? Was it a bad example?
    It was a good example. It will be less good when the prices inevitably go up again, though.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned 1,789.68!



  19. #18
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,912
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was a good example. It will be less good when the prices inevitably go up again, though.
    And when it goes down again it becomes a good example again.

    Although was reading something about it being 2040 before we see prices back at the peak.

  20. #19
    Coaching Staff emerald green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Capital City
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's the SNPs fault that oil prices went down?
    While nobody could predict the huge crash in price, the oil industry, economists and experts from around the world repeatedly warned that oil prices came nowhere near the SNP's fantasy predictions / spin. As was proven to be the case.

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,688
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While nobody could predict the huge crash in price, the oil industry, economists and experts from around the world repeatedly warned that oil prices came nowhere near the SNP's fantasy predictions / spin. As was proven to be the case.
    Not all of them Goldman Sachs, for example, was predicting $200 at one time!
    Space to let

  22. #21
    Coaching Staff emerald green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Capital City
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not all of them Goldman Sachs, for example, was predicting $200 at one time!
    So, like Alex Salmond, they got it completely wrong too!

    The difference between Goldman Sachs and Alex Salmond was that it wasn't Goldman Sachs that attempted the biggest deception in modern political history by arguing a case for Scottish independence that was based on entirely bogus claims about future North sea oil revenues.

    The scale of the fall in the oil price may be even greater than anticipated, but it was the downward trend which the Nationalists stood alone in denying, and were prepared to denigrate anyone who dared to contradict them. "Scaremongering" was the buzz word at the time I recall.

    As far back as 2013, the Office of Budget Responsibility (with no political axe to grind that I know of) was forecasting a drop in the oil price to below $100 a barrel in future years. How right they were! Salmond dismissed this as "stuff and nonsense" and accused the civil servants responsible of "political manipulation", whatever he meant by that. This set the tone for two years of abusing the integrity and motives of anyone who dared to contradict him.

    The White Paper (based upon which the people of Scotland were being asked to vote on the future of their country) insisted that a "cautious" (lol) figure to base Scotland's economic future on was $113 a barrel. An economic argument which, to say the least, was very poor and potentially very risky IMHO.

    I think the oil price might be around $42 at the moment.
    Last edited by emerald green; 15-11-2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Typo

  23. #22
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    I'm not too sure any of the 65,000 people who've lost their jobs due to the oil downturn will feel Better together. You never know though.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-34193720


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  24. #23
    Testimonial Due EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, like Alex Salmond, they got it completely wrong too!

    The difference between Goldman Sachs and Alex Salmond was that it wasn't Goldman Sachs that attempted the biggest deception in modern political history by arguing a case for Scottish independence that was based on entirely bogus claims about future North sea oil revenues.
    What about the deception that there was hardly any oil left only for loads more to miraculously discovered within weeks of the referendum?

  25. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And when it goes down again it becomes a good example again.

    Although was reading something about it being 2040 before we see prices back at the peak.
    The thing is nobody knows what might trigger big price increases much sooner than that.

  26. #25
    Coaching Staff emerald green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Capital City
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not too sure any of the 65,000 people who've lost their jobs due to the oil downturn will feel Better together. You never know though.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-34193720
    It's always a very bad thing to see people lose their jobs. But I'm not sure what your point is.

    Are you suggesting this wouldn't have happened anyway in the event of Scotland having voted for independence? That nobody would have been laid off by the oil companies?

    As the CEO of Oil & Gas UK said: "This great industry of ours is facing challenging times".

    Quote Originally Posted by EH6 Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about the deception that there was hardly any oil left only for loads more to miraculously discovered within weeks of the referendum?
    Ah whitabootery! Can you reveal who it was who said there was "hardly any oil left".

    Even if someone did, do you seriously think most people are that stupid as to totally believe that?

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    43
    Posts
    3,912
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not too sure any of the 65,000 people who've lost their jobs due to the oil downturn will feel Better together. You never know though.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...iness-34193720
    So are you saying that somehow a Yes vote would have changed the price of oil? I don't think you are, so what point you making? If your not saying a Yes vote would have changed the price of oil are you saying a Yes vote would have made the 65,000 smaller somehow?

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    8,855
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's always a very bad thing to see people lose their jobs. But I'm not sure what your point is.

    Are you suggesting this wouldn't have happened anyway in the event of Scotland having voted for independence? That nobody would have been laid off by the oil companies?

    As the CEO of Oil & Gas UK said: "This great industry of ours is facing challenging times".



    Ah whitabootery! Can you reveal who it was who said there was "hardly any oil left".

    Even if someone did, do you seriously think most people are that stupid as to totally believe that?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So are you saying that somehow a Yes vote would have changed the price of oil? I don't think you are, so what point you making? If your not saying a Yes vote would have changed the price of oil are you saying a Yes vote would have made the 65,000 smaller somehow?
    I'm suggesting the big broad shoulders are really not broad enough when it comes to the Oil industry. It's bigger that the UK or an Indy Scotland.

    The Oil Industry, the Steel Industry, the Fish Industry, HMRC workers, the renewables Industry, all waiting for the broad shoulders to carry the day.

    Pooling and sharing jobs not working for Scotland I'm afraid.


    SCOTLAND CAN.

  29. #28
    Coaching Staff emerald green's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Capital City
    Posts
    5,594
    Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm suggesting the big broad shoulders are really not broad enough when it comes to the Oil industry. It's bigger that the UK or an Indy Scotland.

    The Oil Industry, the Steel Industry, the Fish Industry, HMRC workers, the renewables Industry, all waiting for the broad shoulders to carry the day.

    Pooling and sharing jobs not working for Scotland I'm afraid.
    So if Scotland was an independent country none of these issues would exist in the global economy we live in? The "big broad shoulders" of the UK are not broad enough, but Scotland's on its own are? What do you mean by "to carry the day".

    People are losing their jobs in the industries you mention right across the UK. Thousands in the steel plants in S****horpe as well as in Scotland for example.

    What would work for Scotland and make all these issues simply disappear?

  30. #29
    First Team Regular Canon Hannan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    605
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So if Scotland was an independent country none of these issues would exist in the global economy we live in? The "big broad shoulders" of the UK are not broad enough, but Scotland's on its own are? What do you mean by "to carry the day".

    People are losing their jobs in the industries you mention right across the UK. Thousands in the steel plants in S****horpe as well as in Scotland for example.

    What would work for Scotland and make all these issues simply disappear?
    2400 HMRC jobs lost in Scotland and 2800 created in Croydon.

    There is your Better Together.

  31. #30
    Testimonial Due EH6 Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Leith
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,914
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah whitabootery! Can you reveal who it was who said there was "hardly any oil left".

    Even if someone did, do you seriously think most people are that stupid as to totally believe that?
    http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/13175839.Sir_Ian_Wood__iScotland_will_run_out_of_o il_and_gas_in_35_years_if_new_sources_are_not_foun d/

    That was just one report. Iirc, it was also brought up several times during the live to debates.

    As for people believing it, I know for a fact several people did, my dad for one does not have access to the Internet do only had the TV and news papers to go by, all of which were pro Union. Why would he doubt what he was being told?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved