hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

Photography / camera advice

Any budding photographers on the site have any advice on cameras for me?

I'm not sure between dslr and bridge cameras.

I understand dslr probably gives a better end result. But it seems to come at a fair extra cost and carrying around a couple of lenses would seem to be a hassle- I get the impression that I'd need 2 anyway, 1 for normal photos and 1 for photos that require any sort of zoom.

Does anyone have either type of camera and could share their opinions on them?

Thanks

2. Log in to remove the advert

Dslr. Learn to use your kit lens first. Best piece of advice i can give you is you don't need another lens until you have a problem to solve. Basically you learn with your kit lens, learn what you like to shoot and then go from there. Landscape work requires different lenses and kit than portrait work for example. Sports photography is different again.

If you work with your kit lens you'll begin to see the limitations (although until you learn how to use your camera and lens properly, you'll find the kit lens is actually pretty decent for early stuff). Then you'll find that in the limitations, you'll have problems then you can decide what kit you need to solve the problem.

I always buy on this theory. Will it solve my problem? Will it improve my work? And will i use it regularly? Then you go from there to measure cost and investment. It's not a cheap hobby but it is incredibly fulfilling.

It's always worth noting that you can pick up second hand lenses on ebay etc for a bit cheaper. Sometimes you can get some cracking bargins.

Read around. Ask advice, read reviews. Don't buy just because it's cheap. Go for the best quality you can afford.

I had the decision to make about a year ago.

I got a stunning deal with a Sony A58, DSLR, with 3 lenses and a couple of other bits and pieces so went with that.

I had experience of using a SLR pre digital, that was expensive ;-) so I kind of know my way round a camera a bit and this was a decent way of getting back into taking photos.

Previously I went about with a huge bag of lenses, different speeds of film, tripod, flash guns, power wind, filters you name it it was in the bag.

I've got the equivalent of all that now, thankfully some of its built into the camera hardware or software, and you get to know what other bits you need and when depending on what you want to be doing.

So if I'm on holiday I'll take a couple of lenses but when I go walkies I'll only take one. If I know there's a specific type of shot I want I'll take the other. It's not really an issue.

Once you get whatever camera you want don't be afraid to take loads of pictures of the same thing, it costs nothing and you're bound to get one with everyone smiling!
    Space to let

First Team Breakthrough
    Get a film camera. Your more selective and put more thought into what your photographing, its better to have a physical copy of a photo and if you wait a while bfore you get them developed you'll forget whats on it and it'll be a nice surprise.

Sony A58 Digital SLT Camera Triple lens Kit - Exclusive to Jessops

£389.00

SAVE £40.00*( Was £429.00)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...Cyber%20Monday
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sony A58 Digital SLT Camera Triple lens Kit - Exclusive to Jessops

£389.00

SAVE £40.00*( Was £429.00)

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...Cyber%20Monday
    Looking to get back into taking some photos myself,haven't really picked up a camera since the days of my SLR Olympus OM40 in late 80s. Liking the look of this though Sony would never have been a camera make I would have considered. Any negatives you have found so far? And no that's not a pun :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Looking to get back into taking some photos myself,haven't really picked up a camera since the days of my SLR Olympus OM40 in late 80s. Liking the look of this though Sony would never have been a camera make I would have considered. Any negatives you have found so far? And no that's not a pun :-)
    None, it's a great package.

Actually one, it's crap at taking pictures of the moon but that's the only thing I've found.

Incidentally I have a friend who was a top commercial photographer. He tells me that there's a few bits Sony make that other, more recognisable camera manufacturers, use in their cameras like the all important something processor (???) that is top notch.

I'm really chuffed with it.
    Space to let

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    None, it's a great package.

Actually one, it's crap at taking pictures of the moon but that's the only thing I've found.

Incidentally I have a friend who was a top commercial photographer. He tells me that there's a few bits Sony make that other, more recognisable camera manufacturers, use in their cameras like the all important something processor (???) that is top notch.

I'm really chuffed with it.
    Cheers for that,want to be sure before I add it to my list from Santa ;-)

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Cheers for that,want to be sure before I add it to my list from Santa ;-)
    Picked this up last year as a point and click and its outstanding, saving the need for lens changing.

Fantastic reviews on photographer websites by the pros as well.

Sony cybershot rx100...Can't link as phone is *****.
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."