hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael O'Neill

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He does have a drinker's "look" about him...hope not though - horrible addiction that....
    I was on a night out with him in Dublin after Scotland played Wales in the Carling Cup a few years ago. I can assure you he is no bevvy merchant. He was steaming after about 3 pints, total light weight!
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 03-11-2015 at 07:10 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Who was the senior figure in Scottish football who said he had a drink problem. If you don't want to put it on the board, you can pm me
    I don't know the name but it came from an agent who had a few players at St Johnston and Dundee Utd and coincidently was Fenlon's advisor. IIRC at the time Stephen Thomson was being implicated in some way but don't quote me lol

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    If his Hibs start would have been anything like his start at Ireland then we'd have got him sacked soon enough anyway!
    Someone's already made that point, Mr Misery.

I liked watching him play. He was fast and good at beating defenders. I seem to recall he got injured badly and was not quite so keen to run at defenders after that.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Indeed it was. In his interview there he confirmed almost word for word what I was told (and posted on the PM board). Right down the commuting to Dublin line and Geoff Brown giving MON the heads up.

Still gutted as I stood to win a few grand if he gig the job.....and if course he would have done a fad better job than the devious wee **** gnat got the gig.
    Want to explain those comments on Fenlon who seemed to be nothing but a decent guy who was always respectful of Hibs?

As for doing a better job. Who knows? We were in real danger of relegation. That might have happened if his start with Ireland was anything to go by.

How much better would we have been? Scottish Cup winners? Easily top six? Both?

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    I liked watching him play. He was fast and good at beating defenders. I seem to recall he got injured badly and was not quite so keen to run at defenders after that.
    I recall one midweek game against Raith I think where McAllister and O'Neill scored fantastic goals...McAllister was seemingly near the corner flag surrounded by defenders and got away raced into the box keeper saved the shot and he slotted in the rebound. O'Neill's goal was a sublime chip from the edge of the box. Both goals at the FF stand end. Can anyone else remember that game or did I dream it?

O'Neill was a brilliant player.

I remember there being an article about him in "Shoot" when I was a kid. He had played a handful of games for the Newcastle first team and was considered to be one to watch.

He went to Dundee United and eventually wound up with is. It wasn't such a downward trajectory to play for us or United after having been at a big English team in those days.

He was a very intelligent and excellent technical player. He scored some cracking goals for us - there was a sublime volley after a great team move against Motherwell (one that Alex Miller could point to any time people go over the top about how crap the football was under him) and I also remember a really cheeky lob. Can't remember who against or where the game was though.

He's probably getting into management at the right time and in the right era. I always thought he seemed an intelligent sort and nowadays intelligence seems to be considered to be an attribute in football rather than a stick to beat folk with.

I always liked him as a player and he always comes across as having a real affection for the club. Who knows how things would have went if he'd been appointed. I wish him well and I'm sure his stock will rise if Norn oirn have a decent Euros.

I'm sure he started studying law while living in Edinburgh,intelligent footballer it'll never catch on
    Brilliant player in his time at hibs

Want to explain those comments on Fenlon who seemed to be nothing but a decent guy who was always respectful of Hibs?

As for doing a better job. Who knows? We were in real danger of relegation. That might have happened if his start with Ireland was anything to go by.

How much better would we have been? Scottish Cup winners? Easily top six? Both?
    Any need for the tone?

Did you listen to the interview? If not, you should. When the rumours about MON having a drink problem started to circulate it was pretty common knowledge that they originated from people with a vested interest in Fenlon getting the job. A theory that both the interviewer and interviewee hinted very strongly at tonight. MON was all but offered the job until the rumour mill kicked in.

As for well he would have done? You're right, who knows. I do know who's career has followed the best trajectory since however.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I don't know the name but it came from an agent who had a few players at St Johnston and Dundee Utd and coincidently was Fenlon's advisor. IIRC at the time Stephen Thomson was being implicated in some way but don't quote me lol
    Interesting there was a link to St Johnstone as IMO there was defo a game v them where there appeared to be a betting run on saints winning which they duly did.

Promising Youngster biggineurope's Avatar
    Had Brechin (when he was manager) train at the facilities at my work on a Monday night. Always was genuine, polite and always talked Hibs up with a real affection. The best laugh though was when Jim Duffy took over from Michael ( after he was the former Hertz Director of Fitba) I'd thought i'd wind him up a wee bit and asked how he felt moving five rungs up the career ladder from his old job at Tynie. He wasn't amused, I was though and so where a few of his team.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    I recall one midweek game against Raith I think where McAllister and O'Neill scored fantastic goals...McAllister was seemingly near the corner flag surrounded by defenders and got away raced into the box keeper saved the shot and he slotted in the rebound. O'Neill's goal was a sublime chip from the edge of the box. Both goals at the FF stand end. Can anyone else remember that game or did I dream it?
    I remember it, 3-2 Hibs I think. McAllister's goal was the winner IIRC. I think that was the game where I vividly recall someone getting a full cup of Bovril to the back during the celebrations

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Interesting there was a link to St Johnstone as IMO there was defo a game v them where there appeared to be a betting run on saints winning which they duly did.
    not this one then!

https://youtu.be/BPvM-ghiWmw

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Eh? PSN ID: No comprendo, senor. Wii Code: What's a Wii?
    Reading down this thread, I think we're forgetting that Hibs made TWO appointments at the time - Leeann Dempster came in first, then Alan Stubbs. I can't see any way Michael would have been working directly with anyone other than Petrie at the time we're talking about, and I'm still convinced that Petrie was the root of the problem.

After all, even if Collins, Paatelainen, Hughes, Calderwood, Fenlon and Butcher were all totally incompetent and entirely to blame for the state of the team, questions have to be asked about the man who appointed them. Bear in mind he also appointed Tommy Craig and Billy Brown as assistants/caretakers, neither of whom would I leave in charge of my wheelie-bin, full or empty.

The IFA obviously gave Michael their trust and backing in a way neither the Hibs board nor the Hibs support would have been likely to have done. After all, we've already had people on here saying that whether Alan Stubbs should be sacked in June if Hibs aren't promoted, so wecan hardly claim to be the most patient or long-suffering of supporters. Not with our managers, at least.

I agree with those who suggest that Michael dodged a bullet when he was turned down for the job. He was a lucky lucky man and I hope he carries that luck to the European Championships and that NI at least progress one stage farther than the Republic do.

I read the Alan Patullo piece today and I really don't like the unsubstantiated allegation that Fenlons advisor, and by implication Fenlon himself, was behind the 'o'neill has a drink problem' smears. If there's evidence that this agent was behind it, I haven't seen it. And is there any evidence that this agent and Fenlon have any links beyond being mates, or any evidence linking Fenlon to anything? Nah I didn't think so.

Smells like **** stirring from a Scottish media who never warmed to Fenlon in the first place.

I got to now Michael pretty well when he was a member at David Lloyd, he was working in the financial sector at the time and considering whether to get back into football as he was missing the game, he's an honest, nice, family man who was anything but a drinker as he still took care of his fitness and health.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    I read the Alan Patullo piece today and I really don't like the unsubstantiated allegation that Fenlons advisor, and by implication Fenlon himself, was behind the 'o'neill has a drink problem' smears. If there's evidence that this agent was behind it, I haven't seen it. And is there any evidence that this agent and Fenlon have any links beyond being mates, or any evidence linking Fenlon to anything? Nah I didn't think so.

Smells like **** stirring from a Scottish media who never warmed to Fenlon in the first place.
    The rumours about the drinking and who those rumours emanated from were doing the rounds before anyone had heard of Pat Fenlon. It was donkeys ago but IIRC and you can be arsed scrolling back, you'll find it all on the PM board and substantiated by completely unconnected posters.

I don't get your insinuation that the press had it in for Fenlon.....why would they, he came across a perfectly pleasant sort to me, just completely out of his depth.

Coaching Staff
    The rumours about the drinking and who those rumours emanated from were doing the rounds before anyone had heard of Pat Fenlon. It was donkeys ago but IIRC and you can be arsed scrolling back, you'll find it all on the PM board and substantiated by completely unconnected posters.

I don't get your insinuation that the press had it in for Fenlon.....why would they, he came across a perfectly pleasant sort to me, just completely out of his depth.
    Which Hibs managers were in their depth then?

Why would they? Because there were a long list of 'more suitable candidates' who were part of the Sportsound 'kent faces' who didnt get the job and which seemed to irritate the media. I remember one particular hatchet job by Chick Young before Pat was even in post, attacking the appointment purely on the basis that he had no SPL experience and wasnt Yogi Hughes or Jimmy Calderwood or Butcher or any of the other rentaquote unemployed SPL managers at that time.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 05-11-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Coaching Staff

It's an odd piece overall because other than having played for Hibs, which managerial CV was actually better at the time?

Fenlon had also been approached by Dundee Utd the year before but they couldn't afford the deal so he wasn't that left field.

Fenlon:

5 League of Ireland Titles 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
    1 FAI Cup 2008
    1 Setanta Sports Cup 2010
    1 League of Ireland Cup 2009

O'Neill:

2 League of Ireland Titles 2010, 2011
    1 Setanta Cup 2011

Northern Ireland have had a good campaign obviously but overall he has had 30 games and won 7. That's fine but then you can't say that Fenlon with 2 Scottish Cup finals, avoiding relagation that first year then occupying an average place of 5th in the SPL thereafter is failure.

I think dipping down at the wrong time into that 7th place the year before was pivotal in perceptions as well as individual results such as cup finals and Malmo but we were generally a top half team that reached two Scottish cup finals in a row. From where we are with Calderwood that's hardly the stuff of disasters. Stubbs himself has had a Scottish cup disappointment and shipped 6 goals to Rangers at home so you can pick those things out from most managers.

Suggesting we missed out in a big way with O'Neill with all that considered is a bit odd before you reach the suggestions of causing these rumours.

O'neil isn't a drinker and Fenlon's football was *****.

Next....

Michael seems to be doing ok now anyway! He'll be heading to the Prem next I'd imagine.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    We'll never know whether O'Neill would have been a success at Hibs. What we do know is that Fenlon oversaw cup final humiliation and Europa Cup disgrace.

Nice guy though and loves Hibs but I know plenty of people like that.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Why would they? Because there were a long list of 'more suitable candidates' who were part of the Sportsound 'kent faces' who didnt get the job and which seemed to irritate the media. I remember one particular hatchet job by Chick Young before Pat was even in post, attacking the appointment purely on the basis that he had no SPL experience and wasnt Yogi Hughes or Jimmy Calderwood or Butcher or any of the other rentaquote unemployed SPL managers at that time.
    Once in the post Fenlon had plenty of time to win over the media. I think his failure to do so, says more about him than the Scottish media.

It's an odd piece overall because other than having played for Hibs, which managerial CV was actually better at the time?

Fenlon had also been approached by Dundee Utd the year before but they couldn't afford the deal so he wasn't that left field.

Fenlon:

5 League of Ireland Titles 2003, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2009
    1 FAI Cup 2008
    1 Setanta Sports Cup 2010
    1 League of Ireland Cup 2009

O'Neill:

2 League of Ireland Titles 2010, 2011
    1 Setanta Cup 2011

Northern Ireland have had a good campaign obviously but overall he has had 30 games and won 7. That's fine but then you can't say that Fenlon with 2 Scottish Cup finals, avoiding relagation that first year then occupying an average place of 5th in the SPL thereafter is failure.

I think dipping down at the wrong time into that 7th place the year before was pivotal in perceptions as well as individual results such as cup finals and Malmo but we were generally a top half team that reached two Scottish cup finals in a row. From where we are with Calderwood that's hardly the stuff of disasters. Stubbs himself has had a Scottish cup disappointment and shipped 6 goals to Rangers at home so you can pick those things out from most managers.

Suggesting we missed out in a big way with O'Neill with all that considered is a bit odd before you reach the suggestions of causing these rumours.
    You can say Fenlon was a failure. People say it all the time as its very clear.

One thing I've never heard anyone say is "Ahh I remember that season well, we had an average position of 5th..."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    You can say Fenlon was a failure. People say it all the time as its very clear.

One thing I've never heard anyone say is "Ahh I remember that season well, we had an average position of 5th..."
    Oh no, what have you just done 😁

Which Hibs managers were in their depth then?
    Good question.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    O'neil isn't a drinker and Fenlon's football was *****.

Next....
    Amen, close the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Once in the post Fenlon had plenty of time to win over the media. I think his failure to do so, says more about him than the Scottish media.
    Thats a matter of opinion. The central point i was making was that Patullo et al are repeating the unsubstantiated and very harmful gossip about Fenlon starting gossip, which I dont think is fair. It would be more honest to go on and actually accuse him instead of insinuate, which would at least give Fenlon Right of Reply.