hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Michael O'Neill

Michael O'Neill

Was just listening to Radio Scotland and Michael O'Neill (the NI manager) was talking about how he was interviewed for the Hibs job in 2011, but didn't get it because of rumours that he was a heavy drinker, rumours he said that were totally untrue. He was saying how they were in discussions with him for 5 hours and that when they got back to him he got the shock of his life when he was told he hadn't got it. Really good player for Hibs too. Great to have Stubbs here, I wouldn't have it any other way, but it sounds like O'Neill got a raw deal back then. Thoughts? (Apologies if this has already been mentioned in another thread)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member givescotlandfreedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was just listening to Radio Scotland and Michael O'Neill (the NI manager) was talking about how he was interviewed for the Hibs job in 2011, but didn't get it because of rumours that he was a heavy drinker, rumours he said that were totally untrue. He was saying how they were in discussions with him for 5 hours and that when they got back to him he got the shock of his life when he was told he hadn't got it. Really good player for Hibs too. Great to have Stubbs here, I wouldn't have it any other way, but it sounds like O'Neill got a raw deal back then. Thoughts? (Apologies if this has already been mentioned in another thread)
    I remember hearing rumours (probably on here) another candidate was behind them.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I've heard that bit on radio Scotland this morning, i think he was gutted at not getting the Hibs job and can remember the rumors doing the rounds at the time.
    I was thinking when NI qualified a couple of weeks back, did we miss a trick not appointing Michael O'Neill.

I enjoyed Stubbs interview on the radio last night and noticed O'Neill has an extended interview tonight. He always has good things to say about Hibs.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

I take it we went for Fenlon instead then? Another great decision back in the bad old days. No doubt O'Neil has done a great job as NI boss. I like his open and honest style and he talks warmly about Hibs unlike clowns like Billy Dodds.

Given who we ended up appointing I would have given him the job even if he had staggered into the boardroom, puked into the replica of the Scottish cup, hugged Petrie and slurred 'Oim gonna' make the Hibsh great again' before staggering onto the pitch taking a **** in the centre circle and falling asleep in the dugout.

MY minds a bit hazy .... if that wasn't Calderwood I take this back : - )
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 03-11-2015 at 11:14 AM.

The funny thing is both Fenlon and O'Neil drank in the same pub in Morningside after Pat got the job and I know who the more frequent regular was.... The one that got the job

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Petrie-unsurprisingly-picked the wrong Irishman

Quote Originally Posted by fat freddy View Post
    The funny thing is both Fenlon and O'Neil drank in the same pub in Morningside after Pat got the job and I know who the more frequent regular was.... The one that got the job
    That the morningside glory? Seen Pat in there a good few times.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing but maybe we wouldn't be in the championship if we'd appointed O'Neill. I like him and he always seems to come across well. Maybe the board were a bit wary of giving it to O'Neill as if he'd flopped they'd have been criticised for going for the easy option of yet another ex-player. Who knows, but we certainly can't complain with the man we have in charge now.

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by givescotlandfreedom View Post
    I remember hearing rumours (probably on here) another candidate was behind them.
    Was it not Frazerbob, who's mate knew Mo'N really well, who gave us an early heads up that we were in discussions, prior to it hitting the press? I also remember a post confirming the drinking rumours that allegedly scuppered the deal, with question marks over how the rumour surfaced.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it's unfortunate we didn't go with Mo'N, given his incredible success with NI

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    Crazy if true, he was my favourite player when I was a kid in the 90's, seems like a good guy now as well. Hopefully he has a good managerial career and our paths cross again one day.

Another example of the great stewardship from the shrewd operator Petrie!

I honestly don't think it matters and that Michael O'Neil had a lucky escape. The way Petrie was running the club at the time was setting whoever came in up for failure.
    Most of our recent managers who failed at Hibs have went on to do well elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I honestly don't think it matters and that Michael O'Neil had a lucky escape. The way Petrie was running the club at the time was setting whoever came in up for failure.
    Most of our recent managers who failed at Hibs have went on to do well elsewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In what respect?

Was there not a rumour that Fenlons side kick was behind the stories.

@hibs.net private member
    He does have a drinker's "look" about him...hope not though - horrible addiction that....

Blog Entries
    Michael is a great guy & he certainly retains great affection for Hibs. It's not that surprising given he played more games & scored more goals for us than for any other club. He maybe dodged a bullet with us though. IIRC his early record with NI was awful, something like 1 win out of 20 & I think they lost or drew with Luxembourg. Our support & our owners would have been unlikely to have the faith that NI showed in him.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Michael is a great guy & he certainly retains great affection for Hibs. It's not that surprising given he played more games & scored more goals for us than for any other club. He maybe dodged a bullet with us though. IIRC his early record with NI was awful, something like 1 win out of 20 & I think they lost or drew with Luxembourg. Our support & our owners would have been unlikely to have the faith that NI showed in him.

That was my thought as well. The simple answer is we will never know and need to move on.

Very happy with the management team just now. Sure I heard a comment on Radio Scotland that said Stubbs was quoted as saying he would not have taken the job if he knew the mess we were in when he arrived.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    [/B]

That was my thought as well. The simple answer is we will never know and need to move on.

Very happy with the management team just now. Sure I heard a comment on Radio Scotland that said Stubbs was quoted as saying he would not have taken the job if he knew the mess we were in when he arrived.
    You're correct about the last sentence. Along with 2 other Hibs fans I was at Hoylake for The Open last year & met John Doolans best mate. He told us they were horrified at the low morale etc & the fact we didn't even have a keeper. Against that he said they loved the club & it only made them more determined to turn everything around. JD seems like a good guy & I think the whole management team have created a great working environment.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    After seeing what he's achieved with NI, Hibs made a huge mistake here.

He'd have got us going again, I'm pretty sure of that.

However, he has now achieved something wonderful with NI, and we've got a bright young coach. We move on!

Michael O'Neill

Michael is a genuine guy with a real affection and respect for Hibs and their tradtions.He attended Douglas Cromb's funeral with Alex Miller and other former players from that time.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    I've always liked Michael O'Neill as a player and a manager. He was my preference as manager when PF got it but as a young manager would he have been able to turn us round considering how bad the club were by the time AS took over. So i'm maybe glad in a way he did not take over then it might have ruined his career.

He's been lucky with NI who have given him a lot of time to get it right, as someone said his early results were disastrous.

If he has a good Euro who know's where that could land him.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    If he wasn't a drinker a couple of months in the hibs job would've driven him to it.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member
    I remember speaking to him after the racing down at Musselburgh and he told me about his interview with Rod and how long it had lasted. The next time he visited ER Petrie had to ask who he was.

Blog Entries
    I knew about the rumour situation at the time of the Hibs job in 2011 but I got the impression that the present story relates to current rumours about heavy drinking which O'Neill is unhappy about.

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    I've always liked Michael O'Neill as a player and a manager. He was my preference as manager when PF got it but as a young manager would he have been able to turn us round considering how bad the club were by the time AS took over. So i'm maybe glad in a way he did not take over then it might have ruined his career.

He's been lucky with NI who have given him a lot of time to get it right, as someone said his early results were disastrous.

If he has a good Euro who know's where that could land him.
    He may have been given time by NI but did he not get that job on the back of taking Shamrock Rovers to the group stages of the Europa League?

If Stubbs continues on an upward trajectory with Hibs it won't be long before the vultures start to circle - when that happens I'd like to think that O'Neil would be given an opportunity to take over.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperAllyMcleod View Post
    He may have been given time by NI but did he not get that job on the back of taking Shamrock Rovers to the group stages of the Europa League?

If Stubbs continues on an upward trajectory with Hibs it won't be long before the vultures start to circle - when that happens I'd like to think that O'Neil would be given an opportunity to take over.
    Sadly I think O'Neill will have bigger clubs than Hibs after him when he departs Windsor Park.

Lawrie Sanchez got a Premier League job having achieved far less with NI than O'Neill has
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    His interview is coming on sportsound soon

Coaching Staff
    If his Hibs start would have been anything like his start at Ireland then we'd have got him sacked soon enough anyway!

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    Was it not Frazerbob, who's mate knew Mo'N really well, who gave us an early heads up that we were in discussions, prior to it hitting the press? I also remember a post confirming the drinking rumours that allegedly scuppered the deal, with question marks over how the rumour surfaced.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but it's unfortunate we didn't go with Mo'N, given his incredible success with NI
    Indeed it was. In his interview there he confirmed almost word for word what I was told (and posted on the PM board at the time) Right down the commuting to Dublin line and Geoff Brown giving MON the heads up.

Still gutted as I stood to win a few grand if he got the job.....and if course he would have done a far better job than the devious wee **** who got the gig.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 03-11-2015 at 08:20 PM.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Indeed it was. In his interview there he confirmed almost word for word what I was told (and posted on the PM board). Right down the commuting to Dublin line and Geoff Brown giving MON the heads up.

Still gutted as I stood to win a few grand if he gig the job.....and if course he would have done a fad better job than the devious wee **** gnat got the gig.
    Who was the senior figure in Scottish football who said he had a drink problem. If you don't want to put it on the board, you can pm me