hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Carrmichael MP v Thompson MP

With a lot being written around Carrmichael and Thompson. Which one one misled the electorate more about their personality and suitability to be an MP. Does leaking of a document to smear a rival politicians triumph fleecing vulnerable people in house deals?

For me, never surprised by the behavior of our elected representatives but it does seem that Carrimchaels sins seem a lot less than Thompson but there is not clamour for her to be deselected and Edinburgh West to have a by-election

2. Log in to remove the advert

Has anything been proven against Thompson ?

@hibs.net private member Golden Fleece's Avatar
    Carmichael = serving MP who tried to influence votes by lying facing court charges

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-34390705

Thomson = Alleged to have done some property deals prior to being elected an MP, but not facing charges, the solicitor who acted for her is facing charges.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-34487629

Whatever happened to Innocent until proven guilty?
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With a lot being written around Carrmichael and Thompson. Which one one misled the electorate more about their personality and suitability to be an MP. Does leaking of a document to smear a rival politicians triumph fleecing vulnerable people in house deals?

For me, never surprised by the behavior of our elected representatives but it does seem that Carrimchaels sins seem a lot less than Thompson but there is not clamour for her to be deselected and Edinburgh West to have a by-election
    Should this type of political point-scoring not wait until Thomson is at least investigated and, possibly, charged with doing something illegal? Or is this your new approach following the Tom Watson's example?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    Should this type of political point-scoring not wait until Thomson is at least investigated and, possibly, charged with doing something illegal? Or is this your new approach following the Tom Watson's example?
    Not point scoring, I don't think Thompson has done anything wrong legally but morally she has. If this was a Labour MP all hell would have broken loose by now on this. But as is the way in politics just now SNP can do wrong. But this along with the T in the Park cronyism is showing up the Nats are not as squeaky clean as their PR machine makes out

No probe by Parliamentary Standards

http://www.thenational.scot/news/no-parliamentary-standards-probe-into-deals-of-edinburgh-west-mp-michelle-thomson.8602

the Law Society rejected calls from Nicola Sturgeon and Kezia Dugdale to release documents about Hales’ tribunal. So the First Minister is also trying to get it all out in the open, how can anybody complain about the SNP not doing the right thing?

https://www.lawscot.org.uk/news/2015...erted-in-2011/

Nowhere does the statement mention Michelle Thomson.
    #Persevered
    Scotland can be a beacon, within these islands and beyond, for a socially just and sustainable society. Whilst there are many priorities which will require independence, there is also much that can and must be done now by the Scottish Parliament and the Scottish Government.

Im not sure if the knowledge that the folk currently defending Thompson would be slaughtering her if she was a member of any other party is amusing or just depressing.

@hibs.net private member
    Not point scoring, I don't think Thompson has done anything wrong legally but morally she has. If this was a Labour MP all hell would have broken loose by now on this. But as is the way in politics just now SNP can do wrong. But this along with the T in the Park cronyism is showing up the Nats are not as squeaky clean as their PR machine makes out
    Considering the coverage the issue has had I'm not sure you can claim that all hell hasn't broken lose on this!

I'm also not sure you can compare the two events. Both are pretty underhand though and I think both should do the right thing and resign.

Why don't we chuck in the 10 grand missing from Kezia Dugdales constituency office?

Nobody has been found guilty of that yet either!
    Space to let

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Im not sure if the knowledge that the folk currently defending Thompson would be slaughtering her if she was a member of any other party is amusing or just depressing.
    It's depressing.
    Last edited by marinello59; 10-10-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Why don't we chuck in the 10 grand missing from Kezia Dugdales constituency office?

Nobody has been found guilty of that yet either!
    Not from her office but from Edinburgh East CLP but don't let the truth get in the way of your story

I don't think anyone has defended her on this thread, bash on though.

Not from her office but from Edinburgh East CLP but don't let the truth get in the way of your story

#Persevered

@hibs.net private member
    Loving how the Nats are refusing criticise Thompson for antics on fleecing vulnerable people. Party of social justice..... My a**e

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Loving how the Nats are refusing criticise Thompson for antics on fleecing vulnerable people. Party of social justice..... My a**e
    I'm not a Nat, but she is my MP. I won't be criticising her until I know what the facts are. That's natural justice.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Read your statement again! It's appears you already have decided and know the answer to the question you're asking! Hope you're not in the legal profession, although you could probably get a job with the BBC.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by xyz23jc View Post
    Read your statement again! It's appears you already have decided and know the answer to the question you're asking! Hope you're not in the legal profession, although you could probably get a job with the BBC.
    I'm asking the question and then given my views. Others are free to defend her or him.

Neither. It's predictable.

Except, if she hasn't broken the law then it's a non story, although it's being spun against her.

Which is depressing.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

No more amusing or depressing than your guaranteed glib comments on each of these threads

One was an MP at the time of blatantly false statements the other is alleged to have bought and sold property at least 4years before standing for parliament
    #Persevered

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    I'll wait on both subjects to see what the courts have to say, but on your subject of T in the park, I'll just leave the photo to see if you've anything you can add.

herald.jpg

I remember you were saying you were moving due to not getting on with the guys down the pub.

If it's a council house you should be ok for a move within the area, but if on the other hand you own your house stay clear of those pesky solicitors, unless you want to donate your profit to the local church/foodbank.

Take a wee deek at this, for some interesting reading.

http://t.co/OYh9qZuITc
    Last edited by ronaldo7; 11-10-2015 at 06:12 PM.

I'd punt them both - neither is fit to be an MP.

Carmichael far more heinous as he was caught with his fingers in the till, involved in a dubious underhand smear and it's cover up, in a blatant attempt to mislead the public.

However, should the allegations against Thomson be proven, the SNP should declare her unfit to represent them and demand a by-election takes place with another candidate. If they are serious about making us believe in an independent Scotland, they have to make a break with the past and send out a signal that the corruption and cronyism of Westminster and previous dominant parties in Scotland won't be tolerated. It's no good looking at all the Con/Lab MP's who make money through dubious and underhand practices, the SNP have set themselves up to be above that and they must make us believe in them.

Carmichael is more the case of a morally bankrupt man representing a corrupt and decaying system. Thomson is more about the SNP, and their tolerance (or otherwise) or this kind of person (allegedly) and their what place in the different kind of modern, clean democracy they are supposedly seeking to establish.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    No more amusing or depressing than your guaranteed glib comments on each of these threads
    Pointing out brazen hypocrisy, which is all I generally do on the countless SNP/Labour bun-fights, doesn't make it glib.

Prior to Carmichael's admission, I don't recall many posters on here banging on about 'innocent until proven guilty' or 'let's find out the facts'. In fact, I recall a lot of posters (if I could be arsed checking, I'd probably find some of them have gone on to post on this thread) getting almost hysterical about Carmichael before he was found to be guilty.

Ach politics was much easier to follow when it was just tories and brown envelopes.

All this nonsense is boring.

Not just sometimes but always Northernhibee's Avatar
    Pointing out brazen hypocrisy, which is all I generally do on the countless SNP/Labour bun-fights, doesn't make it glib.

Prior to Carmichael's admission, I don't recall many posters on here banging on about 'innocent until proven guilty' or 'let's find out the facts'. In fact, I recall a lot of posters (if I could be arsed checking, I'd probably find some of them have gone on to post on this thread) getting almost hysterical about Carmichael before he was found to be guilty.
    What is blatantly clear is that there is no difference between the standards of the SNP and the rest of the usual culprits that they moan about.

Rangers 2-3 Hibernian
    20th April 2016, 21st May 2016, 12th August 2017

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Carmichael lied about who leaked the lmemo but not the content of the memo itself, and quite frankly you're naive if you believe the SNP want anything other than a Tory government.

Thompson is a case of two issues, legal and moral. What she did IS immoral and goes against everything she claimed to stand for (as well as her party). The legalities are another matter. It is possible to condemn her actions based on what we know so far as these events aren't in question.

Not just sometimes but always Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    Carmichael lied about who leaked the lmemo but not the content of the memo itself, and quite frankly you're naive if you believe the SNP want anything other than a Tory government.

Thompson is a case of two issues, legal and moral. What she did IS immoral and goes against everything she claimed to stand for (as well as her party). The legalities are another matter. It is possible to condemn her actions based on what we know so far as these events aren't in question.

Put all their effort into attacking the Labour party instead of the Tories who they supposedly are opposed to.

Rangers 2-3 Hibernian
    20th April 2016, 21st May 2016, 12th August 2017

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: gringotodd
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post

Put all their effort into attacking the Labour party instead of the Tories who they supposedly are opposed to.
    It's in their interests in a number of ways. They can carry on making a mess of things at Holyrood and pass the blame to "Westminster\Westmonster\Wastemonster" (or whatever they're calling it these days) and also it furthers their independence position. "If we voted Yes we wouldn't be stuck with Tories" is all we'll hear for 5 years and into another almost inevitable second referendum.

IIRC the SNP made repeated attempts during and after the general election to work with Labour, going as far as to suggest a coalition of sorts. These offerings were disdainfully rebuffed at every opportunity.

Labour, who didn't have a policy pot to piss in, spent so much time sneering at the SNP they took their eye off the ball in England where they lost the election against an unpopular Tory Party!

Labour blame anyone but themselves for their abject failure.

Once again the vote in Scotland didn't matter so Westminster carries on business as usual.

As for the two miscreants, both lack the morals I think we'd all like to see in our elected representatives, only one has been charged with a criminal offence.
    Space to let

Carmichael lied about who leaked the lmemo but not the content of the memo itself,
    How do you know this? The SNP and the French ambassador have denied anything of the sort was said.

It doesn't really matter what the SNP may or may not want. They have no influence over which Westminster government we get, but they would have happily gone into coalition with Labour.

Thompson is a case of two issues, legal and moral. What she did IS immoral and goes against everything she claimed to stand for (as well as her party).
    It's certainly been portrayed like that by the press and her opponents.

However, I'm not so sure.

If a house is for sale, people can bid whatever they want. If the owner accepts the bid, fair enough.

When people are under pressure to sell anything, they will usually accept a lower offer, whether it's a house, a hearse or a horse. No-one would pay more than they had to, just because they felt sorry for the seller.

One woman, who had bought her council house for sweeties, is moaning that she sold to Thomson and only made a £30000 profit on it.

I've just bought a house in York for £30k less than the asking price. I made an offer, they rejected it, I increased my offer and it was accepted.

Nothing immoral about that.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!