hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Promotion and challenging regularly in top of SPL would bring them back.

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough MJN1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Promotion and challenging regularly in top of SPL would bring them back.
    That's a joke though. I agree obv that will bring fans back but how will we get back without fans coming now? What if we don't go up? We need fans back ASAP.

It's simple things for me that have recaptured my attention. Most recently sticking Hibernian Football Club on the main stand. So silly and simple but always felt Easter Road needed more hibs decor on it. They listened to the fans who wanted a purple away kit. Stubbs is working his backside off and has generally built a nice squad. Hibs are winning, keeping clean sheets regularly, emailing the fans, have revamped the website, have done promotions for kids entering cup games.

St Mirren draw hurt. Rangers loss hurt. Dumbarton Loss hurt. But it's football and it's generally been balanced out with some good results and performances.

Out of interest, anyone else like me that is starting to feel like taking a huff with the club is just tiresome now and they need our help?

Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    It's simple things for me that have recaptured my attention. Most recently sticking Hibernian Football Club on the main stand. So silly and simple but always felt Easter Road needed more hibs decor on it. They listened to the fans who wanted a purple away kit. Stubbs is working his backside off and has generally built a nice squad. Hibs are winning, keeping clean sheets regularly, emailing the fans, have revamped the website, have done promotions for kids entering cup games.

St Mirren draw hurt. Rangers loss hurt. Dumbarton Loss hurt. But it's football and it's generally been balanced out with some good results and performances.

Out of interest, anyone else like me that is starting to feel like taking a huff with the club is just tiresome now and they need our help?
    Yeah that's exactly how I feel. I've been going back and taking my daughter too. I love all the social media stuff they are doing and they are Interacting with the fans well. They let my daughter meet the players and as I already stated I feel the club have done their bit and it's time for the fans to repay them by turning up. I can't go to every game and struggle financially to do this but I have made an effort this season and will continue to do so. If everyone thought like me, our average attendance would soon go up, maybe not to the levels we are aiming for but to an acceptable amount.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MJN1875 View Post
    That's a joke though. I agree obv that will bring fans back but how will we get back without fans coming now? What if we don't go up? We need fans back ASAP.
    We will go up next season in my opinion by strolling the league and they will flock back.

We will go up next season in my opinion by strolling the league and they will flock back.
    I fear a lot of players will leave if we don't go up this season and this could also include Stubbs.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel. I've been going back and taking my daughter too. I love all the social media stuff they are doing and they are Interacting with the fans well. They let my daughter meet the players and as I already stated I feel the club have done their bit and it's time for the fans to repay them by turning up. I can't go to every game and struggle financially to do this but I have made an effort this season and will continue to do so. If everyone thought like me, our average attendance would soon go up, maybe not to the levels we are aiming for but to an acceptable amount.
    Brick by brick mate. I'll hold my hands up and say I turned my back especially last 2 and a half years. But I'm going to the next home game so it's a start. And if they lose that game then ok it might happen. But there is an upward trend to all things hibs right now and I think they deserve some money for ticket sales for their efforts. I reckon my nephew will definitely see some good goals and wins this year and get the hibs bug.

Well I don't think there is anymore the club can do. I feel the club has done their bit which is why I now attend when I can. I just wish other people would do this as well.

It's over to us now and us fans aren't doing our bit imo.
    Yes there is more the club / team can do. It's quite simple. They have to win enough matches to get the club out of the Championship. If they do that, I'm confident attendances will increase at ER. Whether they will ever reach at least 15,000 every week as you mentioned earlier may not be realistic, but I also wish more people would attend. Nobody can force people to attend a football match.

When you say "us fans aren't doing our bit" are you including those that have bought season tickets and contribute their hard earned cash every month to HSL and/or have bought shares direct? Presumably not.

That's one way I would suggest that you could play a part, however small that may be, in getting Hibs out of the Championship. If you can afford it of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakim Sar View Post
    Brick by brick mate. I'll hold my hands up and say I turned my back especially last 2 and a half years. But I'm going to the next home game so it's a start. And if they lose that game then ok it might happen. But there is an upward trend to all things hibs right now and I think they deserve some money for ticket sales for their efforts. I reckon my nephew will definitely see some good goals and wins this year and get the hibs bug.
    So far my daughter hasn't seen us lose! That includes her first game last season and she's been at 3 this season, I've been at 4.

As I say, I can't make it to every game due to financial reasons and other commitments like work, my daughter etc, but whenever I have a spare say and cash in my pocket I'm there. I am aiming for a minimum of one a month but I said that last month and went to 3!

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Yes there is more the club / team can do. It's quite simple. They have to win enough matches to get the club out of the Championship. If they do that, I'm confident attendances will increase at ER. Whether they will ever reach at least 15,000 every week as you mentioned earlier may not be realistic, but I also wish more people would attend. Nobody can force people to attend a football match.

When you say "us fans aren't doing our bit" are you including those that have bought season tickets and contribute their hard earned cash every month to HSL and/or have bought shares direct? Presumably not.

That's one way I would suggest that you could play a part, however small that may be, in getting Hibs out of the Championship. If you can afford it of course.
    No when I say is fans I am not including season ticket holders etc. They are clearly doing their bit. I mean fans like me, who used to go almost weekly as a wee boy then over the last few years stopped going regularly. This for me is due to work and taking my daughter or whatever, but that spare sat I would have wouldn't be spent at Easter rd. That's where I've changed and I have been going and bringing my daughter with me so that's 2 fans that would not have been going previously.

I know more than most how expensive it is to go myself never mind taking a 7 year old but from now on if I've got the cash and time I'm there. I've enjoyed going back and think I actually forgot how much I like watching football live. And it's not calderwood, fenlon (who I liked) or butchers (who I hate) style, it's the style I expect from hibs. It's actually good to watch and win lose or draw gives you a level of professionalism and performance I expect from a modern day forward thinking club.

No when I say is fans I am not including season ticket holders etc. They are clearly doing their bit. I mean fans like me, who used to go almost weekly as a wee boy then over the last few years stopped going regularly. This for me is due to work and taking my daughter or whatever, but that spare sat I would have wouldn't be spent at Easter rd. That's where I've changed and I have been going and bringing my daughter with me so that's 2 fans that would not have been going previously.

I know more than most how expensive it is to go myself never mind taking a 7 year old but from now on if I've got the cash and time I'm there. I've enjoyed going back and think I actually forgot how much I like watching football live. And it's not calderwood, fenlon (who I liked) or butchers (who I hate) style, it's the style I expect from hibs. It's actually good to watch and win lose or draw gives you a level of professionalism and performance I expect from a modern day forward thinking club.
    OK mate it's good that you and your daughter are back at ER. I know how expensive it is to watch football, especially if you have kids to pay for too, although I understand there are good deals on kids season tickets. I understand that's not always feasible depending on family commitments and so on.

I know a few lapsed supporters who for their own reasons have never been back since the club was relegated. It's these folk the club needs to get back too, if possible.

As other posters have mentioned many times before on this forum, once folk stop going to matches it can be very difficult to get them back, if at all. Once the disconnect between fan and club kicks in it's hard to break that.

This is a big problem for Hibs, and the only way I can see attendances increasing significantly is by the team winning enough matches to gain promotion. I believe that if Hibs were to get back into the Premiership, 10-11,000 season tickets would be possible and realistic, given Hibs have just under 8,000 as a Championship club.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    OK mate it's good that you and your daughter are back at ER. I know how expensive it is to watch football, especially if you have kids to pay for too, although I understand there are good deals on kids season tickets. I understand that's not always feasible depending on family commitments and so on.

I know a few lapsed supporters who for their own reasons have never been back since the club was relegated. It's these folk the club needs to get back too, if possible.

As other posters have mentioned many times before on this forum, once folk stop going to matches it can be very difficult to get them back, if at all. Once the disconnect between fan and club kicks in it's hard to break that.

This is a big problem for Hibs, and the only way I can see attendances increasing significantly is by the team winning enough matches to gain promotion. I believe that if Hibs were to get back into the Premiership, 10-11,000 season tickets would be possible and realistic, given Hibs have just under 8,000 as a Championship club.
    I hope this happens. Just feel we are needed now. What dempster and Stubbs have done is great and long may it continue.

Maybe our owner will pump some cash in........,

You ask the question 'how long' so I'll attempt an answer.

I'll stay in a so called huff until Rod Petrie goes lock, stock and barrel from the club.

Allow me to explain that I'll still go to a few home and away games when time allows but so far as buying a season ticket for my daughter and I I'm not content to stump up. I realise and accept that this is going against the grain but allow me to explain.

Using 2007 as a benchmark since the league cup victory he has been at the helm of our gradual decline by employing manager after manager (with reassurances to supporters that he knows what he's doing) culminating with the cherry on the cake the 2014 demise to Hamilton.

The fact that protests and many voices were against him staying in at the club appear to have fallen on deaf ears. Would it be accepted in any other type of business? The buck stops at the top.

The minute Leanne was in the door there should have been a two week handover to her then he should have disappeared into the sunset. The fact he still holds any position on the board in any capacity baffles me. It's like we can't function as a club without him??

I'm content that this goes against Leanne's vision of how the club should operate but whilst not hundreds there are others like me who hold the same belief. Call us sad, small minded or pretty but it breaks my heart to see him still at Easter Road.

I salute and respect other supporters views but the minute he's out I'll buy two seasons even though I can't make it every week.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post

The minute Leanne was in the door there should have been a two week handover to her then he should have disappeared into the sunset. The fact he still holds any position on the board in any capacity baffles me. It's like we can't function as a club without him??
    He owns 10% of the club.

Leanne is an employee.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Newhaven View Post
    You ask the question 'how long' so I'll attempt an answer.

I'll stay in a so called huff until Rod Petrie goes lock, stock and barrel from the club.

Allow me to explain that I'll still go to a few home and away games when time allows but so far as buying a season ticket for my daughter and I I'm not content to stump up. I realise and accept that this is going against the grain but allow me to explain.

Using 2007 as a benchmark since the league cup victory he has been at the helm of our gradual decline by employing manager after manager (with reassurances to supporters that he knows what he's doing) culminating with the cherry on the cake the 2014 demise to Hamilton.

The fact that protests and many voices were against him staying in at the club appear to have fallen on deaf ears. Would it be accepted in any other type of business? The buck stops at the top.

I'm content that this goes against Leanne's vision of how the club should operate but whilst not hundreds there are others like me who hold the same belief. Call us sad, small minded or pretty but it breaks my heart to see him still at Easter Road.

I salute and respect other supporters views but the minute he's out I'll buy two seasons even though I can't make it every week.
    I don't get this? You are not the only on who thinks like this, far from it and I do get your point to an extent. But I think rod has basically admitted he made several mistakes and doesn't have a clue about football which is why he takes no part in the day to day running of the club.

Dempster is in charge and you have to agree has picked up the pieces and is doing an outstanding job.

However, Petrie is a business man a very good one at that and he has proved this which is why we are in a good position as a business and have the third best stadium in Scotland with a stunning state of the art training centre.

We need to get away from this Petrie stuff he might as well not be there as far as we fans are concerned.

If we are going to have a go at Petrie why stop there? Farmer is the money man? I'd say he has a lot more to answer to the fans than Petrie does.

However I respect your opinion and hope you do continue to go when you can make it with your daughter as I will with mine.

@hibs.net private member
    That's a joke though. I agree obv that will bring fans back but how will we get back without fans coming now?
    By the manager and players doing the job they're paid to do??

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Keep up the communication, keep doing the nice things in the stadium, keep up the listening to the fans, keep supporting the manager and keep up the signing of decent players.

The club have given the team the best ever platform to succeed in my living memory and that's why me, my dad and my boy all got ST's this year.

For some of my Hibs supporting m8s, the passion for Hibs has never drifted but the urge to see them every week has due to the gradual decline in results. I keep saying there is something happening down ER and there attitude is changing but consistently gaining results like QoS at the weekend would help. More goals, more wins and decent football would have the fans coming back in droves.

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    Once you get out of the football habit and find other things to do in your life that you realise are far more enjoyable, it's difficult to turn back.
    couldnt agree more, ive been to one game this season. I got back into fishing again and cant see me returning to ER any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    By the manager and players doing the job they're paid to do??
    If the jobs are managing the team and playing football they already do that.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    As I get older, sport is become less important in my life.
    I used to play golf but now view the game with the same contempt as Mark Twain i.e. "A good walk spoiled."

Sadly, it's happening with football. I can't be rsd watching Scotland international games on telly these days.
    Alas, because of this aging apathy, visits to ER are becoming less & less frequent.

For me, the excitement has gone from the Scottish game (and playing one up front at home doesn't help).
    Last edited by snooky; 05-10-2015 at 10:44 AM.

I think there are some valid points being made on the thread so far.I think im half and half in regards money-out of the habbit kinda postion.

Moeny for me is tigght, at the moment saving for a holiday , bills and what not its toguh for me to scrap by from week to week.

I had a season ticket last season,and went on my own .i used to go with my brother and sisters but they have given up on there st's and wlel due to babies n work, they have decided going is no longer for them.

For me i guess i felt out of place, i guess the *connection* or *bond* alot of people fell about hibs, however much i tried i could not feel that.
    I should have moved my seat last season i had this annoying guy behind me whom always sorta doing his own commentary on the game !!
    I sometimes feel that i am just a number to hibs and do not matter too much.I used to get alot of emials from hibs, about things on the website mostly,but since early august nothing.
    I guess i see sometimes there are deals aimed at families and such, which is fantastic and i do really mean that,but i guess as just one person, there is no such thing for me, though in thinking i can see hibs cant do deals for everyone, (and what sorta deals could they give me? i dunno)

what more could hibs do to win people like me back? well its a tough one, as money/cost is maybe at number 1 for me.(maybe alot of people?)
    prehaps they could have open days,i think they have held trainin sessions that kind of thing before?, maybe stadium tours as well(agian i tihnk they sometimes do this)
    maybe a q+a session?
    another idea is phoning/emailing lapsed season tickets people up and see why they are lapsed?

I get your point totally.

Just annoys me that people come out for a big game that really doesn't matter, but when it matters weekly nobody turns up.
    That's something that will never change for any club, and it's really not hard to understand. People will always be more inclined to go to the games where they enjoy the atmosphere and rivalry more. Some people go to all the games, some people only get to a few... it's no surprise they choose their favourite fixtures when going to the said few.

People can talk about fans responsibility and loyalty all they like - if someone doesn't enjoy the games enough to spend money and time attending, then they won't be forced to do so.

That's not a biased opinion by the way - as it's coming from someone who doesn't make many games because they play on Saturdays themselves. I am happy with Dempster and the way the club is moving, but (if I was able to make the games) I wouldn't feel obliged to fork out and spend every second Saturday attending if I still didn't think it was worth it.

People make their own minds up... for what it's worth I find the "I'm no going back til Petrie is out" one hard to grasp but I certainly don't think it's anyone's duty to attend football when they don't really want to.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbymick View Post
    couldnt agree more, ive been to one game this season. I got back into fishing again and cant see me returning to ER any time soon.
    So can we just now write you off no matter what?

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    As I get older, sport is become less important in my life.
    I used to play golf but now view the game with the same contempt as Mark Twain i.e. "A good walk spoiled."

Sadly, it's happening with football. I can't be rsd watching Scotland international games on telly these days.
    Alas, because of this aging apathy, visits to ER are becoming less & less frequent.

For me, the excitement has gone from the Scottish game (and playing one up front at home doesn't help).
    I fully understand Snooky but I respectfully suggest that you try and keep your interests going. It's all too easy to fall into booze and couch mode but that carries an even bigger health warning than watching Hibs!

Coaching Staff
    I think it has to be accepted that no matter what, many will never return and more attention paid to generating new supporters.
    It is going to be hard because as many have pointed out not just hibs but Scottish football in general is losing its attraction.

Football fans are, by nature, fickle.

Instead of a lifelong love affair that we often assume that all fans have with the club, the reality is that some drift in and drift out at various points during their lives. Part of this is due to what the club do but part of that is due to what is going on in people's lives at the time.

There are people who have recently drifted away that I would never envisage doing so, but I guess that league games against Alloa aren't for everyone.

The flip side of that is that there are people I know who have season tickets and go home and away every week these days who had been lost to Hibs for many years (even when we had a far better team than we do now). It's just become soothing that they do again.

There is simply nothing more (imo) that Hibs can be doing at at the moment. I cannot pick fault with anything major. I get annoyed when we have games like we did against St Mirren the other week but that's football - you have to earn every victory. Barcelona, Bayern Munich - every club drops points (as will The Rangersm eventually). Hibs just need to keep the heid - keep doing things right and fans will return (and new ones will be attracted along).

I don't particularly like Petrie (to put it mildly) - more than anyone he is to blame for where we are. But if there is one thing we should give him credit for it is that he (finally) showed a bit of self-awareness, put a bit of his stubbornness and pride to one side and appointed Leanne, knowing that his stewardship was damaging the club.

Rather than rail against him (and Hibs) a few more need to take a leaf out of his book for the greater good of our club, they are martyrs for a totally futile cause.

Duno what's wrong with people these days? Might not be the best standard but give me football over any other sport any day of the week, in any league.

Duno what's wrong with people these days? Might not be the best standard but give me football over any other sport any day of the week, in any league.
    I don't even think the standard is that bad. Certainly not our team anyway.

We're knocking the ball about well and have players that are great to watch. From back to front - Oxley's made some top saves this season, Hanlon has had some outstanding moments, McGeoch and McGinn are quality players, Dom can get you off your seat and Cummings knows where the goals are.

I've watched some absolute snoozefests in the English Premier League that I've had to switch over.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Football fans are, by nature, fickle.

Instead of a lifelong love affair that we often assume that all fans have with the club, the reality is that some drift in and drift out at various points during their lives. Part of this is due to what the club do but part of that is due to what is going on in people's lives at the time.

There are people who have recently drifted away that I would never envisage doing so, but I guess that league games against Alloa aren't for everyone.

The flip side of that is that there are people I know who have season tickets and go home and away every week these days who had been lost to Hibs for many years (even when we had a far better team than we do now). It's just become soothing that they do again.

There is simply nothing more (imo) that Hibs can be doing at at the moment. I cannot pick fault with anything major. I get annoyed when we have games like we did against St Mirren the other week but that's football - you have to earn every victory. Barcelona, Bayern Munich - every club drops points (as will The Rangersm eventually). Hibs just need to keep the heid - keep doing things right and fans will return (and new ones will be attracted along).

I don't particularly like Petrie (to put it mildly) - more than anyone he is to blame for where we are. But if there is one thing we should give him credit for it is that he (finally) showed a bit of self-awareness, put a bit of his stubbornness and pride to one side and appointed Leanne, knowing that his stewardship was damaging the club.

Rather than rail against him (and Hibs) a few more need to take a leaf out of his book for the greater good of our club, they are martyrs for a totally futile cause.
    Good post

Re the bit in bold, I'm not sure if that is the case, TBH The reason a lot of fans give for turning up at every home game, regardless of the team's performance/division we're in, is the social side of the afternoon/evening. IMHO, Hibs could do a lot more to encourage people to make a day/night of it when going to a Hibs game.

Take going to a concert for example; the primary reason for going is obviously the artist/band but some people make the hours before/after the gig part of the experience at the venue too. IF BTG and/or the catering was of better quality, maybe some people would spend more time (and therefore money ) at games and they might feel a sense of belonging again

I've also long thought there should be a supporters bar in the stadium; run by the fans for the fans. This could provide a viable alternative to both BTG and the Hibs Club and it would also have the added benefit of prolonging the day for supporters and hopefully help foster a better relationship with the club. If there was also entertainment laid on or a player appearance, then that would only add to the value of it all, IMHO.

When the group that people go to the games with starts to dwindle then that's when it's going to hurt Hibs, if it hasn't already. It may only be because of particular people going to the game that makes the others show up. Take that away and it might be easier for some other fans not to bother anymore too, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I don't even think the standard is that bad. Certainly not our team anyway.

We're knocking the ball about well and have players that are great to watch. From back to front - Oxley's made some top saves this season, Hanlon has had some outstanding moments, McGeoch and McGinn are quality players, Dom can get you off your seat and Cummings knows where the goals are.

I've watched some absolute snoozefests in the English Premier League that I've had to switch over.
    Most English football is a snooze fest.

People go on about who wants to watch eg st Johnstone v Hamilton. To me Norwich v west brom for example is equally as pish.