hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I coach at Spartans in this age group and it is a great set up. And it's not all about winning. We have taken a lot of self inflicted defeats by rotating players positions so they learn the game, equal game time for all kids, making sure they pass out from the back, not playing all our best players in one team so they learn how to work for each other etc. there are other clubs doing this as well (Lochend, Dalkeith). People like to knock youth football in this country but there are a lot of volunteer coaches out there doing good work.
    At Spartans we follow the player pathway to the letter and don't try shortcuts.
    And remember we are trying to make it enjoyable for all the kids and not just the kids who are showing potential although we do have development training to help those kids realise that potential.
    So yes, look at the stats and you will se lots of players listed as being ex-Hutchie or tynie but remember that they probably only spent a year or two there and were scouted by those clubs. The majority of the development was done at their own community club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thankfully Ozy is only negative about Hibs and is a very positive youth coach.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    If Spartans is about inclusion and development rather than winning then we are probably better off without them to be honest. Hibs need to breed/develop winners both technically and mentally.
    Last edited by greenlex; 01-10-2015 at 10:26 AM.

Coaching Staff
    On the issue of players produced, Spartans youth set up is only about 10 years old I believe.
    Sam Stanton was a Spartans player although he moved to Hutchie as a teenager, so they get the credit.

Sam Stanton is also a good example of why Hibs needed to change their approach at youth level. Too many nice players who aren't suited to first team football.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Sam Stanton is also a good example of why Hibs needed to change their approach at youth level. Too many nice players who aren't suited to first team football.
    Neither Spartans, Hutchie or Hibs made Sam nice. That comes from within.
    I personally don't think 'nice' is the problem. I just don't think he is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
    This was ALWAYS gonna happen! If Barcelona created a link with The Spartans they'd be telling the Catalans the best way to run a youth set up. They're that far up there own ***** at Ainslie park I'm surprised they heard anything Hibs were saying to them. Ah The Spartans... The self appointed mouth pieces of non-league and youth football... No loss whatsoever.
    That's kind of what I've heard about them and I have no connection with them at all.

Its all about the parents getting the fivers out!

I think they're basically like a Celtic/Rangers (rip) type club of youth football in Edinburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    That's kind of what I've heard about them and I have no connection with them at all.

Its all about the parents getting the fivers out!

I think they're basically like a Celtic/Rangers (rip) type club of youth football in Edinburgh.
    http://youtu.be/NbhwB0R53d4

Aye, it's all about getting fivers in, right enough.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

What a cracking wee film that was. Obviously do alot of good community work, not all football related but the club provides the focus.

As wonderful as that is, and it is, you will find loads of clubs doing stuff like this for there area. So I'm not sure your point re posting that video. All clubs charge parents subs for there kids to play. But why post the video?!

As wonderful as that is, and it is, you will find loads of clubs doing stuff like this for there area. So I'm not sure your point re posting that video. All clubs charge parents subs for there kids to play. But why post the video?!
    The point was surely in response to a comment that it was all about getting fivers in.

I posted a reply in response to an accusation that Spartans was all about the Parents getting the fivers out.
    Did some Spartans kids kick a ball against your car or something? Why the hostility?

There surely cannot be anyone out there seriously suggesting kids of 8-11 are not taught how to play football (all aspects; passing, moving, skills, control, tactics etc) over a "winning mentality"?!?!?!

Seriously?

You believe at that age (before they can actually properly kick a ball and have proper technique and skill, they should be taught how to be winners??

You can TEACH skills; you can teach tactics, ball control, decision making to an extent and most of the atrributes that make a good fitba player. Two things you cannot teach;
    Genius and heart.

Genius is there and it's what separates the average to good players from the greatest...
    Heart cannot be taught. You are what you are. You are either bestowed with a winning mentality or you not.

Of course, you could try teaching 8-11 year olds this. Cause thats NEVER been done before eh? You havent moaned on here about hoofball and the "just get rid of it" school of thought? You do know where that come from eh???

Aye. The training pitches up and down the country from ******** coaches telling bairns to get rid of it...dont make a mistake...dont try these things (training or matches). Dont lose...cause that promotes greatness, confidence and teaches skills? Nope. It promotes fear, players scared of losing and misses the point entirely.

Bairns should be taught first.

Plenty time to toughen up when they get older. Or shall we have an army of bairns who are mentally tough and "winners" but canny kick a baw??

Radgeness on stilts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    There surely cannot be anyone out there seriously suggesting kids of 8-11 are not taught how to play football (all aspects; passing, moving, skills, control, tactics etc) over a "winning mentality"?!?!?!

Seriously?

You believe at that age (before they can actually properly kick a ball and have proper technique and skill, they should be taught how to be winners??

You can TEACH skills; you can teach tactics, ball control, decision making to an extent and most of the atrributes that make a good fitba player. Two things you cannot teach;
    Genius and heart.

Genius is there and it's what separates the average to good players from the greatest...
    Heart cannot be taught. You are what you are. You are either bestowed with a winning mentality or you not.

Of course, you could try teaching 8-11 year olds this. Cause thats NEVER been done before eh? You havent moaned on here about hoofball and the "just get rid of it" school of thought? You do know where that come from eh???

Aye. The training pitches up and down the country from ******** coaches telling bairns to get rid of it...dont make a mistake...dont try these things (training or matches). Dont lose...cause that promotes greatness, confidence and teaches skills? Nope. It promotes fear, players scared of losing and misses the point entirely.

Plenty time to toughen up when they get older. Or shall we have an army of bairns who are mentally tough and "winners" but canny kick a baw??

Radgeness on stilts.
    Agree 100%

A few points to add here
    - Hibs and Spartans had signed the agreement before Eddie May was in post, apparently he decided this wasn’t for him and so little effort entered into by Hibs.

- The winning mentality argument is a non starter, no competitive games were allowed against other clubs by these age groups at all by order of EM.

- Hibs have come out of this poorly as regards the impression made on the kids and parents involved. Hearts have already made contact with one of the age groups at Spartans.

Spartans youth set up seems to be on the right lines, 02s and 03s very strong and other age groups behind them heading in the same direction.

Quote Originally Posted by GMD View Post
    A few points to add here
    - Hibs and Spartans had signed the agreement before Eddie May was in post, apparently he decided this wasn’t for him and so little effort entered into by Hibs.

- The winning mentality argument is a non starter, no competitive games were allowed against other clubs by these age groups at all by order of EM.

- Hibs have come out of this poorly as regards the impression made on the kids and parents involved. Hearts have already made contact with one of the age groups at Spartans.

Spartans youth set up seems to be on the right lines, 02s and 03s very strong and other age groups behind them heading in the same direction.
    That's the feedback I was getting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post

Seriously?

Genius and heart.

Radgeness on stilts.

Don't think anyone has said that... But crack on with yer words of wisdom Jose...

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    On the issue of players produced, Spartans youth set up is only about 10 years old I believe.
    Sam Stanton was a Spartans player although he moved to Hutchie as a teenager, so they get the credit.

Did we not get Derek Rodier from Spartans ?.........long shot but how about Colin Campbell an awe ?
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Did we not get Derek Rodier from Spartans ?.........long shot but how about Colin Campbell an awe ?
    Colin Campbell was originally from Benbecula (teeeeeuuuuchh!) and we signed him from Edinburgh Uni. I'm not sure about Rodier.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    Colin Campbell was originally from Benbecula (teeeeeuuuuchh!) and we signed him from Edinburgh Uni. I'm not sure about Rodier.
    They were both at, and playing for, Edinburgh Uni.

I posted a reply in response to an accusation that Spartans was all about the Parents getting the fivers out.
    Did some Spartans kids kick a ball against your car or something? Why the hostility?

No hostility at all. Just asking questions...

No hostility at all. Just asking questions...
    Fair enough. Here another wee video for you then.

http://youtu.be/BqIqzTMpc3Y

A few points to add here

Interesting bit about the 03's because prior to the link up with Hibs the 03's were average at best. What brought about the upturn in performance?

A few points to add here

Yeah i thought it was funny that most posters started to debate Spartans, the debate should be about Hibs and Eddie May.
    The youth set up at East Mains is really going to pot just now, I was told by one parent that the 17's dont even have full kit but Hibs tops with black shorts and socks! It really looks like a poor relation compared to others in the league. Also a number of very good players and Hibs fans to boot have walked, indeed there was a thread the other night about one such player and there has been plenty in the last 12 months or so. Might just be bitter parents etc but the stats say different.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    Interesting bit about the 03's because prior to the link up with Hibs the 03's were average at best. What brought about the upturn in performance?
    Don't know anything about the 03's but the 04's group sent 9 kids of to play pro youth with various clubs so they must have been doing something right.

Fair enough. Here another wee video for you then.

http://youtu.be/BqIqzTMpc3Y

Good films. Great to see kids enjoying themselves with a lot of hard work being done.
    Still don't think it's a loss for Hibs.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    The 2000's just knocked my laddies team out the Scottish Cup after extra time on Sunday.
    I thought they were average at best .
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

Quote Originally Posted by The goalie View Post
    Yeah i thought it was funny that most posters started to debate Spartans, the debate should be about Hibs and Eddie May.
    The youth set up at East Mains is really going to pot just now, I was told by one parent that the 17's dont even have full kit but Hibs tops with black shorts and socks! It really looks like a poor relation compared to others in the league. Also a number of very good players and Hibs fans to boot have walked, indeed there was a thread the other night about one such player and there has been plenty in the last 12 months or so. Might just be bitter parents etc but the stats say different.
    the black shorts are the agreed strips. All the age groups have that. Nothing worse than parents!

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Thankfully Ozy is only negative about Hibs and is a very positive youth coach.
    Particularly when being positive about youth fitba also allows him to be negative about Hibs!

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    the black shorts are the agreed strips. All the age groups have that. Nothing worse than parents!

So cheapo black shorts and socks are fine were every other team are in the same kit as their first team? Boys clubs are better kitted out than our youths, its just more penny pinching.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Spartans were originally set up as an Edinburgh Uni FP's team in 50s I think.

Quote Originally Posted by The goalie View Post
    So cheapo black shorts and socks are fine were every other team are in the same kit as their first team? Boys clubs are better kitted out than our youths, its just more penny pinching.
    utter rubbish.