hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Bearded Dragons

Bearded Dragons

My 11 year old has just asked if she can get a bearded dragon for her christmas, thoughts??? Anyone got one, do they make good pets?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    I've a 60x30x38cm tank available. Make an offer if you are interested.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My 11 year old has just asked if she can get a bearded dragon for her christmas, thoughts???
    Sounds like one of my old teachers from Leith Walk Primary! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    That's to small for a bearded dragon. Not looking to buy it just now anyway. Wee one has asked for one for christmas so just trying to do a bit of research find out what their like and if their any good as pets, having never had one

Often fancied one myself so I've just had a wee read as I suspect you have too.

I suppose you could use Golden Fleeces tank to rear the beasties dragons like to eat!

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    I'm maybe seeing an enthusiast of these things later today, she's one of these weird girls that keeps all manner of exotic pets. I'll report back here if I do.
    Space to let

My friends had a bearded dragon for a good few years and I looked after it for a few weeks when they went on hols.

I found him to be absolutely fascinating, but I don't know if the novelty would wear off quite quickly for an 11 year old - probably depends on the 11 year old I suppose.

The main negative versus other, more common pets, is definitely the food supply. They eat salad leaves and insects, but mainly the latter...and they stink. You have to have somewhere to store them where the smell isn't going to permeate through your whole house. Your kid would also have to not be squeamish as, realistically, you have to handle the insects in order to get them from their tank to the lizard's and an escaped bug of the size we're talking can cause havoc in a household!

I'm also not sure that they last particularly long in captivity, but you'll no doubt have read more about that online. You also have to be very careful if you think they've died, as sometimes they're just faking it.

Is there perhaps a pet shop you can take your kid too to see how they are looked after and check they'd still be interested?