hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87

Parking Ticket Dispute

Has anyone ever disputed a parking ticket and gotten away with it?

Basically I parked in a disabled bay on Sunday on Fredrick street. There is 3 spaces on the left hand side for disabled people as you come off george street, as I turned into the street a car moved away and I thought quality, its not often you get one so quick.

I looked around the street for a sign, to which there is none and there was a truck parked in the middle bay behind me. The key point here is the truck was obviously parked over the lines, and thus, covering the only indication it was for disabled people. Unless I physically crawled on my hands and knees and looked under the truck there is simply no other way I could have known it was a disabled sapace.

Obviously when I returned to my car and see I had a ticket the truck had moved and I could then see I was in one of the 3 designated disabled bays.

I have written away to contest and just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience and what the outcome was?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Basically I parked in a disabled bay on Sunday on Fredrick street. There is 3 spaces on the left hand side for disabled people as you come off george street, as I turned into the street a car moved away and I thought quality, its not often you get one so quick.

I looked around the street for a sign, to which there is none and there was a truck parked in the middle bay behind me. The key point here is the truck was obviously parked over the lines, and thus, covering the only indication it was for disabled people. Unless I physically crawled on my hands and knees and looked under the truck there is simply no other way I could have known it was a disabled sapace.

Obviously when I returned to my car and see I had a ticket the truck had moved and I could then see I was in one of the 3 designated disabled bays.

I have written away to contest and just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience and what the outcome was?
    Years ago I got a ticket for parking in a 'wrong' place. I wrote and explained the situation (i.e. the yellow line had been covered with leaves also there were other things that added to my misinterpretation).
    They responded by saying that while the ticket was correctly issued, they would cancel it in this instance.
    So, they do use common sense (or at least they did in the 70's).
    Good luck with your one.

Yep, i have, it was in Newcastle though so I guess the outcome and process will be different up here. I argued against a £60 ticket on the basis of the relevant restricted area signs being impossible to read from the direction I was driving from, so similar to yours I guess. I had to do the whole hand on the bible thing in the crown court (the equivalent of the sheriff court here I think?) and the parking warden was there and said his bit as well. I won and the ticket was rescinded, although I didn't realise at the time that had I lost I would have been liable for costs which could have amounted to a few thousand! So you might want to check on that before you start the process.

were you at the game on Wednesday mate?

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I once contested a ticket issued in George St for not displaying a my pay & display ticket. I contested that the ticket had fallen off the dash board when a low flying jet (part of a display that day at Murrayfield) flew over causing vibrations and setting off car alarms the length of the street. A true story but sounds rediculous. Incredibly, got off with it!

Gamer IDs

Cheers for the responses, hopefully common sense does prevail here then.

Bollah - I wont be taking it to court lengths, ive emailed the address given for contests of the fine, I assume someone will read that and agree if i should be let off or not. If I do need to pay then its only 30 quid if i pay within 2 weeks of issue, or 60 quid if longer. The time is on hold as of today as thats when i emailed them.

Aye seen the game. have to admit I was a bit confused to not include bartley or malonga from the start. but thats why im not running a football team i guess

I think there actually has to be a sign, either on a pole or wall, indicating that it's a disabled bay for the ticket to be valid.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    I think there actually has to be a sign, either on a pole or wall, indicating that it's a disabled bay for the ticket to be valid.
    Thats what I thought, I know they were ripping up the bus stop next to the bays, which may include a pole with the sign, but as it was half ripped out could explain why there isint one there

@hibs.net private member derekHFC's Avatar
    I'd suggest taking some pictures of the location as it is today, just in case they change it.
    Someone once told me that hard work wouldn't kill me.

I thought: "Hell, why take the chance"!

Thats what I thought, I know they were ripping up the bus stop next to the bays, which may include a pole with the sign, but as it was half ripped out could explain why there isint one there
    Well that's not your fault. Try the Martin Lewis forums as they are usually full of good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    I'd suggest taking some pictures of the location as it is today, just in case they change it.
    Good point. If you have a bona fide reason for not being given a ticket send them photos, sketches and parking receipts along with a letter explaining the situation.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    They do need to display a sign saying it is a disabled bay, cant mind the exact name but its something like the road sign act. If this wasnt displayed you should be able to get off with it, good luck

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by derekHFC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by superhibi1 View Post
    They do need to display a sign saying it is a disabled bay, cant mind the exact name but its something like the road sign act. If this wasnt displayed you should be able to get off with it, good luck
    Google streetview clearly shows the bays have DISABLED painted on the road outside the bays and a clear sign outside Chiquito.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.95...7i13312!8i6656
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Fleece View Post
    Google streetview clearly shows the bays have DISABLED painted on the road outside the bays and a clear sign outside Chiquito.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@55.95...7i13312!8i6656
    Thanks for the image. So the road marking you mention is what was covered by the truck when I parked, so I couldnt see it. Ilk admit there may be a sign, but seriously is that supposed to.be visable? Im parked at the very front and honestly think I would need to play a game of wye spy to see it. Ive emailed off with my complaint, if I get off great if not, its only 30 quid

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Thanks for the image. So the road marking you mention is what was covered by the truck when I parked, so I couldnt see it. Ilk admit there may be a sign, but seriously is that supposed to.be visable? Im parked at the very front and honestly think I would need to play a game of wye spy to see it. Ive emailed off with my complaint, if I get off great if not, its only 30 quid
    Did you buy a pay and display ticket? You might have a chance if you bought a ticket, if you didn't you're wasting your time as there isn't any free parking in the city centre.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Did you buy a pay and display ticket? You might have a chance if you bought a ticket, if you didn't you're wasting your time as there isn't any free parking in the city centre.
    It was last Sunday, so free parking on sundays

Having now seen the photo on google maps, I think you'll probably be down £30, mate.
    I'd give it a shot nevertheless.

Blog Entries
    In Scotland private parking firms can threaten you with all sorts of sheriffs court or similar.
    Only police or council wardens can take money off you!
    Great way to get photos of your car,every angle😁