hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby World Cup

What always strikes me about rugby referees and players is that it seems to be a mutual respect. The refs talk to the players like adults and the players listen and behave like adults.

Football referees throughout the levels tend to talk down to players and adopt the mantle of 1940s school teacher. Rugby referees often seem willing to engage with a player and explain a decision to them, listen to them then state why they are right. Maybe if football referees afforded players a bit more respect they would get a bit more back.

2. Log in to remove the advert

That SA v USA game was a bit of a bumming. The front 5 of SA are to be avoided at all costs. Bit late for Scotland mind.

Mon Namibia in the next game.

Samuel Eto'o as scrum half for Namibia

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Was wondering if the England Uruguay game tomorrow night has been switched to ITV4 yet.

Hopefully Scotland win tomorrow and Wales manage to scrape past Australia.

Can see Scotland making it difficult for themselves however Samoa are not a team to take lightly as they are talented and hugely physical. Scotland by 10-15
    Australia by same I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What always strikes me about rugby referees and players is that it seems to be a mutual respect. The refs talk to the players like adults and the players listen and behave like adults.

Football referees throughout the levels tend to talk down to players and adopt the mantle of 1940s school teacher. Rugby referees often seem willing to engage with a player and explain a decision to them, listen to them then state why they are right. Maybe if football referees afforded players a bit more respect they would get a bit more back.
    Obviously it is a cultural thing from school days however there is also the punishment of losing ground if players show dissent to a ref in rugby. If the same happened in football it may change things.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Obviously it is a cultural thing from school days however there is also the punishment of losing ground if players show dissent to a ref in rugby. If the same happened in football it may change things.

Act like a petulant child, get treated like a petulant child. Let's see how much of a hero your team mates and adoring fans think you are after your mouthing off moves a dead ball from a low percentage long range shot to a high percentage opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    It waa dedinitely trialled in football a few years back, a 10 yard penalty for dissent.

It was pretty ill thought out though as the team awarded the 10 yards couldn't decline it. I remember an absolutely ridiculous scenario at Old Trafford when Man utd were awarded a free kick about 30 yards from goal, they were awarded an extra 10 yards, Beckham didn't want it as he wanted the extra space to get the ball up and down and there was about a 10 minute stand off whilst everyone argued amongst themselvws before the free kick was taken right on the edge of the box.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    It waa dedinitely trialled in football a few years back, a 10 yard penalty for dissent.

It was pretty ill thought out though as the team awarded the 10 yards couldn't decline it. I remember an absolutely ridiculous scenario at Old Trafford when Man utd were awarded a free kick about 30 yards from goal, they were awarded an extra 10 yards, Beckham didn't want it as he wanted the extra space to get the ball up and down and there was about a 10 minute stand off whilst everyone argued amongst themselvws before the free kick was taken right on the edge of the box.
    I must have been absent from life when this was implemented! It's news to me, I presume it was introduced for a trial period then discarded?

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    I must have been absent from life when this was implemented! It's news to me, I presume it was introduced for a trial period then discarded?
    A quick google suggests it was trialled in England and the CIS Cup in Scotland (which I can't recall) in 2000/2001 before being dropped completely by Fifa in 2005.

A quick google suggests it was trialled in England and the CIS Cup in Scotland (which I can't recall) in 2000/2001 before being dropped completely by Fifa in 2005.
    I remember the "no offside" outside the penalty box trial and that was another which was quickly dropped.

I remember having it down here for a year or two. Only had any real effect if you had a free kick 35 yards out that went to 25 yards out. Right idea in principle though and very little else has been tried since.

It's the first real day of destiny for Scotland's World Cup campaign with this afternoons important fixture v Samoa. I'm really looking forward to this one, 2:30 kick off at St James' Park. I'm fairly confident that we can make the quarter finals and Finn Russell's recovery from injury is an added bonus.

Let's hope the pitch didn't take too much of a mauling from last night's All Blacks game against Tonga!

Wales v Australia later this afternoon should also be a cracker with the winner of that one likely to play Scotland in the quarter finals.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Scotland to beat Samoa

Wallabies to beat Wales

Wigan to beat Leeds rhinos in the rugby league final

Think I remember that also however I think the general principle is a good one. In saying that rugby players are trying it on more than ever now which you can pick up on the ref mics where they are constantly trying to pressure the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    It's the first real day of destiny for Scotland's World Cup campaign with this afternoons important fixture v Samoa. I'm really looking forward to this one, 2:30 kick off at St James' Park. I'm fairly confident that we can make the quarter finals and Finn Russell's recovery from injury is an added bonus.

Let's hope the pitch didn't take too much of a mauling from last night's All Blacks game against Tonga!

Wales v Australia later this afternoon should also be a cracker with the winner of that one likely to play Scotland in the quarter finals.
    Really surprised at the scheduling with 2 games within a day. Could quite easily have been tipping down last night and ruined the pitch. As it was the pitch got dug up quite badly.

Scotland - 7 doubled with Australia - 7 as a wee bet for me today.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    Scotland to beat Samoa

Wallabies to beat Wales

Wigan to beat Leeds rhinos in the rugby league final
    Stuck a quid on Leeds to win 11-15, a quid on Jamie Peacock MOM and a quid on Kallum Watkins first try scorer. Not that I'm anti-Wigan in the slightest, you understand!

Quote Originally Posted by LancashireHibby View Post
    Stuck a quid on Leeds to win 11-15, a quid on Jamie Peacock MOM and a quid on Kallum Watkins first try scorer. Not that I'm anti-Wigan in the slightest, you understand!

i've put my money where my mouth is and done a £30 treble with the teams above, enjoy watching the rugby league as well( particularly Leeds) and they really did just scrape over the line for the league leaders cup thingy, they've been very poor since the grand final win and(along with most others i imagine)was astonished when they got battered by the catalan dragons, and of course that last min try against castleford in the last game should at least give them a little lift but i've backed the form team...Wigan :( as for peacock great player but imo he's cost leeds in the last few games, hopefully sinfield and peacock can bow out with a winners medal even though it will scupper my bet :)

Back to the real rugby - 'Mon the Scots!

if only the footy fans could sing the national anthem in tune like the rugby yins do :)

scotland players seriously need to waken up here, two tries straight from their own kick offs ffs

We're not at the races so far. Come on Ffs.

****** unbelievable every damn time they've got forward they've scored a try..our defence is embarrassing

@hibs.net private member
    It's like watching our football team. A nation of sporting failures

Dinnae fret guys. We're supposedly a second half team.

Regardless - this is fantastic entertainment.

and again...every time they go forward...try, reprieve for now

@hibs.net private member
    It is some game. End to end. The TMO is excellent and really helps the ref. Time football looked at something similar

@hibs.net private member
    The advantage rule is another football could learn from

cotter must be despairing at our defence