hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Manchester

Manchester

I am soon to be in Manchester for about 10 days, with the wife joining me for the weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do? There's not much on Google other than the national football museum or a tour of the corrie set.

If anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated, won't have a car so needs to be accessible by foot or public transport.

Recommendations for places to eat and drink welcome too. (it's an international week so no football boo)

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwerphibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am soon to be in Manchester for about 10 days, with the wife joining me for the weekend. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do? There's not much on Google other than the national football museum or a tour of the corrie set.

If anyone has any advice it'd be appreciated, won't have a car so needs to be accessible by foot or public transport.

Recommendations for places to eat and drink welcome too. (it's an international week so no football boo)
    Jump on a train to Liverpool is your best option

If you like Indian food make sure you try Rusholme, 50 or more restaurants to try and some pretty decent ones as well. Chinatown also has some decent restaurants.

Manchester is quite decent I think.

Just have a walk round you will be fine and will find stuff to do. Go for a ground tour at city of Manchester or old trafford cricket ground

Train to Leeds if you want something different for a day too.
    Cougars!!!

The Peoples History Museuem is worth a visit if you like that kind of thing.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Blog Entries
    buy an umbrella.

The Lowry is well worth a visit.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loopz View Post
    The Lowry is well worth a visit.
    I think there's also a branch of the Imperial War Museum there too.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    I think there's also a branch of the Imperial War Museum there too.
    Correct, well worth a visit. You'll need to get the tram towards Salford Quays/MediaCity. Football Museum is good for passing a couple of hours as mentioned.

Even in international week there will be plenty of lower league and non-league games, I'm sure. Cheap day out and potentially beer on the terraces depending on where you go.

Expect to pay pretty high prices if you go for a beer down Deansgate etc, though there are plenty of cheaper pubs with a bit more 'character' if you delve a bit deeper. Would throw in EastZEast for another curry recommendation by the way. Food is great, decent prices and the service is fantastic. It's near the Lowry Hotel/Salford Central station by the side of the River Irwell so only a 5-10 minute walk from Manchester city centre.

Thanks for the ideas people. Will look at going to a few of the museums and eateries mentioned.