hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sacking Fenlon was the correct thing to do. Appointing Butcher was not even Petrie's biggest mistake that season. His biggest mistake was in not removing him from post when it became clear the club was tearing itself apart down at East mains. He could have been sacked at the split, or after the Killie game. In either case we could have saved ourselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After shelling out the compo to get Butcher in the first place, I doubt if too many people would have expected him to be emptied before the end of the season - no matter how things were going on the pitch. I wouldn't blame RP for that. Hindsight's a wonderful thing and all that.

2. Log in to remove the advert

My abiding memory of PFs time is utter boredom. It's the only time since I've had a choice I wilfully chose not to attend a number of Hibs games and often left those I did attend early.

It's easy with 20/20 hindsight to say sacking him was a mistake but at the time it wasn't. After that disastrous final we had a decent if unspectacular year btut the next season started in shocking fashion and without Leigh Grifiths we were woeful to watch.

As someone pointed out two pages ago...

...a jobbie is a jobbie.

They come in all shapes and sizes, smell differently and have different substance.

But they are ALL, at the end of the day, stinking, rancid horrible things you dont want to hang around your lavvy any longer than is necessary.

I'll let you work out the analagy.

(though if you need help, I'd suggest two (or more) ***** managers are still, without doubt, ***** managers)...we dont want or need any of them. Getting rid of both was a good move. Keeping them both for as long as we did was bad. I blame the man in charge of hiring and firing for that.

As for Fenlon going to celtic...canny think of anything I really care less about right now....

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    My abiding memory of PFs time is utter boredom. It's the only time since I've had a choice I wilfully chose not to attend a number of Hibs games and often left those I did attend early.

It's easy with 20/20 hindsight to say sacking him was a mistake but at the time it wasn't. After that disastrous final we had a decent if unspectacular year btut the next season started in shocking fashion and without Leigh Grifiths we were woeful to watch.
    Me too. I took to watching Bonnyrigg Rose, my local junior team. Still gravely unsatisfying but you left their games thinking you could do with a drink, whereas with Fenlons Hibs you needed one.

Wee pat was a decent bloke who tried his best in difficult circumstances. The football was poor, with some disasterous results. In the end he was wise enough to realise he wasn't up to it.

An honest man who has my respect.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Wee pat was a decent bloke who tried his best in difficult circumstances. The football was poor, with some disasterous results. In the end he was wise enough to realise he wasn't up to it.

Pretty much sums it up.

He was chosen...not his fault if perhaps he shouldn't have been the one picked.

However when here he tried his best for the club, and that is all that can be expected.

Few of us have not had experiences where every venture we sailed into did not result in the outcome we would have hoped for, and left a bit disappointed with what we had achieved, or failed to achieve.

It is called life!

As I say Pat tried his best and to his credit, has never tried to lay any blame on anyone else for his lack of achievement here, and always speaks highly of the club.

I wish him well, and would shake his hand if I bumped into him.

First Team Breakthrough
    I agree he wasn't up to scratch for taking us forward but, I do believe we would still be in the SPFL if he remained manager for the full 2013 / 14 season. After his release its the board that took us down after the poor signing of Butcher. Fenlon was a decent man who was a wee bit out his depth.

Far too sensible a post when there is an opportunity for blinkered cheap shots.

I don't dispute that the football under Fenlon was generally dull, but his detractors should remember that you have to be careful what you wish for. Once he'd gone, we had the Butchered months.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

I don't dispute that the football under Fenlon was generally dull, but his detractors should remember that you have to be careful what you wish for. Once he'd gone, we had the Butchered months.
    Hindsight is wonderful isn't it.......No-one would have imagined how badly we were going to do under Butcher.....
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by Eyrie View Post

Pat had to go, it's just a shame we brought in a lunatic!! Either way Pats days were numbered and he knew it hense why he left.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I wish him well, and would shake his hand if I bumped into him.

Would any genuine fan really use a chance encounter to berate him?

First Team Breakthrough

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar

A decent bloke yes, however he was in charge for the two worst results in our history, the first against our city rivals in a Cup Final and all that that means to us all. The second, the worst ever performance by a Scottish club in Europe. Both results in front of large numbers of Hibs fans. If I met him, I wouldn't want to berate him. I would happily buy him a drink and shake his hand but I would have two questions.

1. What happened in the lead up to the cup final that led to such a crap team performance. We all know that there were too many loan players in that team but even so, they should have competed a hell of a lot better. Most if not all players who wore our shirt that day should feel eternal shame for that days efforts and the result. I have only ever read one report that said there was some kind of players downing tools over potential bonus payments or contract offers or the lack of both of them!

Pat, tell us the truth.

2. What was the team talk for the Malmo game? We got played off the park.

The players looked stage frightened by the size of our home support that turned out that night for two reasons. Firstly we thought we would be able to overcome the 1st leg score and secondly, arguably the greatest Hibee ever, Lawrie Reilly died earlier in the week and we came to pay our respects at the first opportunity to do so. What we again witnessed was a terrible team performance! A lot of our fellow supporters gave up that night IMO.

I would add that I want Pat to explain what RP's role in the first of these calamatous events was?

He would have more respect if he gave us the truth.

I don't mean to open up old wounds but these results still gripe!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Hibby View Post
    A decent bloke yes, however he was in charge for the two worst results in our history, the first against our city rivals in a Cup Final and all that that means to us all. The second, the worst ever performance by a Scottish club in Europe. Both results in front of large numbers of Hibs fans. If I met him, I wouldn't want to berate him. I would happily buy him a drink and shake his hand but I would have two questions.

1. What happened in the lead up to the cup final that led to such a crap team performance. We all know that there were too many loan players in that team but even so, they should have competed a hell of a lot better. Most if not all players who wore our shirt that day should feel eternal shame for that days efforts and the result. I have only ever read one report that said there was some kind of players downing tools over potential bonus payments or contract offers or the lack of both of them!

Pat, tell us the truth.

2. What was the team talk for the Malmo game? We got played off the park.

The players looked stage frightened by the size of our home support that turned out that night for two reasons. Firstly we thought we would be able to overcome the 1st leg score and secondly, arguably the greatest Hibee ever, Lawrie Reilly died earlier in the week and we came to pay our respects at the first opportunity to do so. What we again witnessed was a terrible team performance! A lot of our fellow supporters gave up that night IMO.

I would add that I want Pat to explain what RP's role in the first of these calamatous events was?

He would have more respect if he gave us the truth.

I don't mean to open up old wounds but these results still gripe!
    Would you shine a light in his face and offer him cigarettes while asking him your questions?

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Would you shine a light in his face and offer him cigarettes while asking him your questions?
    Wouldn't need to. He knows how bad they were. As I said I would just like an honest chat.

@hibs.net private member hibeesjoe's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: catcabbage

Pat Fenlon to Celtc

Last edited by hibeesjoe; 20-09-2015 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I don't think he smokes so maybe a Werther's might be better received.