hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee

Interview with Frank Dougan

This is the first of a series of blogs I've written looking at the changes at Hibs since the Petrie protests in June '14, from the perspective of people working within the club.

To kick off, this is an interview with Frank Dougan.

I'd just like to post a thank you to Colin Millar, Frank Dougan, Amit Moudgil, and Stephen Dunn for their time and help in making these interviews happen.

http://hibscomebackison.blogspot.co....nk-dougan.html
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

2. Log in to remove the advert

Excellent read and he is so right about the negativity its a marathon not a sprint and the board are doing things the right way,big Frank made so many valid points there that im sure most of us agree with,onwards and upwards

I get Frank's passion .... I really do .... and I agree with everything he has said regarding progress in the last 14 months ..... But he is getting himself a bit mixed up between his passion as a supporter and how a director of a football club has to approach things, fan or not.

As a fan who will stick with Hibs no matter what I also don't have a lot of time for folk who find any number of reasons to stay away and don't back the club from the stands at a time when they are needed most ..... In my opinion the measure of a true fan is one who will put up with the rubbish and keep going because they love the club, not because of its results, not because it does or doesn't win things and not because it plays beautiful football, but because its their club no matter what. We are the ones who in the end will ensure that the 'fans' who need a reason to come back will have a club to come back to ............ that for me is an indisputable fact.

But, as a simple fan that is my prerogative. That is not a prerogative that directors or owners of a club can, or should, enjoy. No matter how passionate you feel about the subject, as a director you simply cannot berate fans for not turning up, and you certainly do not call fans on social media 'keyboard warriors' ..... You plead, you beg, you incentivise where you can, and you do everything you can to improve performance and results on the pitch. But you simply must not do anything which will alienate stay away fans who for one reason or another don't feel motivated to come and watch the team.

If Frank Dougan Hibs fan gets torn in, his targets say GTF and a day later forget about it.

If Frank Dougan Hibs director gets torn in, his targets might just as likely go, 'how dare you lecture me after the ***** Hibs have served up for nearly a decade and from the lofty position of a second season in the 2nd tier of Scottish football and from 5th place at that.

Page 1 chapter 1 of how to run a successful football club .... every fan, or potential fan, is gold dust ..... butter them up, kiss their ***** .... but under no circumstances tell them that they are part of the problem .... and do not lecture them about being negative when the club you are running has won the 3rd best trophy in the country once in 23 years and that is the sum total of its success ..... having been relegated twice in the same period.

Luv ya Frank .... but don't let passion get in the way of pragmatism.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 03-09-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks for that Matty

Great Read

Very enjoyable read. Thanks for that

@hibs.net private member HibbyKeith's Avatar
    Good read matty, look forward to the others.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the first of a series of blogs I've written looking at the changes at Hibs since the Petrie protests in June '14, from the perspective of people working within the club.

To kick off, this is an interview with Frank Dougan.

I'd just like to post a thank you to Colin Millar, Frank Dougan, Amit Moudgil, and Stephen Dunn for their time and help in making these interviews happen.

http://hibscomebackison.blogspot.co....nk-dougan.html
    Great insight into the man and the next chapter in our Hibstory. Well done Matty.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Coaching Staff
    I've known Frank for 45 years or so, and have known him to be very critical of boards, managers etc in the past.

Hence why I find his criticism of criticism itself by some, surprising.

Football fans in General will NEVER be satisfied to a degree where they will not criticise some aspect of things.....I'm sure even Barcelona fans, or some of them see things that they criticise, and Hibs last time I looked, weren't Barcelona!

I would hope his comments weren't fully representational of the attitude of the board in general......ie....along the lines of .."just what do these supporters really expect, don't they know we are doing a wonderful job?"

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    I've known Frank for 45 years or so, and have known him to be very critical of boards, managers etc in the past.

Football fans in General will NEVER be satisfied to a degree where they will not criticise some aspect of things.....I'm sure even Barcelona fans, or some of them see things that they criticise, and Hibs last time I looked, weren't Barcelona!

I would hope his comments weren't fully representational of the attitude of the board in general......ie....along the lines of .."just what do these supporters really expect, don't they know we are doing a wonderful job?"
    Maybe we criticise because we care and have put up with so much crap over the years that most of us have heard it all before.

Quote Originally Posted by gazman View Post
    Excellent read and he is so right about the negativity its a marathon not a sprint and the board are doing things the right way,big Frank made so many valid points there that im sure most of us agree with,onwards and upwards
    While we have been running a marathon, Hearts seem to have been running a sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by ozhibs View Post
    Maybe we criticise because we care and have put up with so much crap over the years that most of us have heard it all before.
    Exactly. We have heard all of it before. I think it's time for the board to get on with running the club and the manager to run the team. Less PR talk and more onfield action please.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ozhibs View Post
    I don't think Frank is complaining or worried about criticism, he's someone that's very vocal when something is wrong himself. I think his concern is around the people who do nothing but criticise, and who refuse to acknowledge improvements. You'll see them on this forum, they might even reply to this post...

IMHO, I think it's important to differentiate constructive and reasonable criticism from perpetual complaining. One is helpful, the other clearly isn't.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

Left by mutual consent!
    I don't think Frank is complaining or worried about criticism, he's someone that's very vocal when something is wrong himself. I think his concern is around the people who do nothing but criticise, and who refuse to acknowledge improvements. You'll see them on this forum, they might even reply to this post...

IMHO, I think it's important to differentiate constructive and reasonable criticism from perpetual complaining. One is helpful, the other clearly isn't.
    Underwhelmed.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar

The so-called "keyboard warriors" could consider volunteering for working together...
    There are constructive ways - of which volunteering is one - to get better insight and put forward ideas. We have a forum now and representation Let's use it.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Interesting interview, well done to Matty for getting this out.

I found Frank a bit contrary. As a director he doesn't go to Tynecastle? I would have thought that he would need to get over that one of he is representing the club ( the fans representative on the board in fact).

I also found it a bit odd that none of the four targets he identified included automatic promotion. It was definitely one of mine last season and remains the same this season. Ok, it's a challenge to say the least but let's not kid ourselves, that's the goal, although I'm sure we'll settle for going up via the play offs!

The bit about keyboard warriors etc. Naw mate! He needs to elaborate a bit on that if he wants us to see him as doing anything else but trot out the board line. Fact is that no one would give a toss about negative views if the club was doing as well as Frank describes in his hypothesis. The minority is a very small minority and I wouldn't give them that much credit for influencing others.

The reasons for the decline in attendances are complex and to link that and Internet is disingenuous. Try considering the high prices, the recent history of the clubs mismanagement ( with Petrie still lurking in the shadows), the underlying discontent about how fans have been treated ( probably not that differently to other clubs , but no doubt that we have not been properly valued in the past when it comes to the peripherals of our match day , ahem, "experience".

I would have liked to hear more about the work of the fans reps on the board, what have they changed and what are the targets for future improvement? Stay clear of being used for propaganda Frank, it will give you more credibility.

For me it's fair to say that we have invested in players, well done to the fans for putting their money where their mouths are. All he investors in the club deserve a huge thanks for their commitment We have a better squad than we have had for a good few years, a manager who is playing the right way and will hopefully have learned enough to make the difference this season.

As I say, an interesting piece. I wonder Matty, how proscribed were your questions? We're you able to ask Frank what you wanted or were there stipulations attached? It would add more value for future sessions if you were able to respond to the replies with a less passive stance?

Great to get this insight and have guys like Frank at the sharp end.

"Keyboard warriors" are obviously irking Hibs, but IMO they're giving too much credibility to these deflectors. They are not what's keeping people away. If Hibs think that, then they don't appreciate the extent of the damage done by successive managers, players and Board decisions before Stubbs. And Hearts resurrection doesn't help.

Frank can see the progress first hand and it's great that's he's excited by that, but he can't realistically expect absent fans to return on yet another promise. Only a winning team & good football will get fans back. That's where 100% ofl the clubs focus should be on.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Interesting interview, well done to Matty for getting this out.

I found Frank a bit contrary. As a director he doesn't go to Tynecastle? I would have thought that he would need to get over that one of he is representing the club ( the fans representative on the board in fact).

I also found it a bit odd that none of the four targets he identified included automatic promotion. It was definitely one of mine last season and remains the same this season. Ok, it's a challenge to say the least but let's not kid ourselves, that's the goal, although I'm sure we'll settle for going up via the play offs!

The bit about keyboard warriors etc. Naw mate! He needs to elaborate a bit on that if he wants us to see him as doing anything else but trot out the board line. Fact is that no one would give a toss about negative views if the club was doing as well as Frank describes in his hypothesis. The minority is a very small minority and I wouldn't give them that much credit for influencing others.

The reasons for the decline in attendances are complex and to link that and Internet is disingenuous. Try considering the high prices, the recent history of the clubs mismanagement ( with Petrie still lurking in the shadows), the underlying discontent about how fans have been treated ( probably not that differently to other clubs , but no doubt that we have not been properly valued in the past when it comes to the peripherals of our match day , ahem, "experience".

I would have liked to hear more about the work of the fans reps on the board, what have they changed and what are the targets for future improvement? Stay clear of being used for propaganda Frank, it will give you more credibility.

For me it's fair to say that we have invested in players, well done to the fans for putting their money where their mouths are. All he investors in the club deserve a huge thanks for their commitment We have a better squad than we have had for a good few years, a manager who is playing the right way and will hopefully have learned enough to make the difference this season.

As I say, an interesting piece. I wonder Matty, how proscribed were your questions? We're you able to ask Frank what you wanted or were there stipulations attached? It would add more value for future sessions if you were able to respond to the replies with a less passive stance?
    Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
    I was able to ask whatever i wanted, Frank was happy to answer.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Good interview. Frank doesn't hold back, eh?

It's an interesting point about the ST holders from last season who didn't renew this time. Is the fact Hearts are in a division above us a big factor? I guess it must be.

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    met frank a couple of times too. think he is a good hibee. nice interview Matty.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Exactly. We have heard all of it before. I think it's time for the board to get on with running the club and the manager to run the team. Less PR talk and more onfield action please.
    But does it not carry more clout given that it's coming from someone, known to many, who was elected to the board to represent his fellow supporters? As for the "less PR talk" comment - firstly he doesn't strike me as someone who 'does' PR and, secondly, is it not part of his remit to act as a liaison between the fans and the board? If he didn't say anything then he would (rightly IMO) get pelters.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    But does it not carry more clout given that it's coming from someone, known to many, who was elected to the board to represent his fellow supporters? As for the "less PR talk" comment - firstly he doesn't strike me as someone who 'does' PR and, secondly, is it not part of his remit to act as a liaison between the fans and the board? If he didn't say anything then he would (rightly IMO) get pelters.
    It would carry more clout if Frank wasn't fuelling the myth.

I would like to hear a more "Frank" line on the reasons for the downturn in season tickets etc, keyboard warrior talk is not that helpful. In fact it's a bit too much like doing what you're told.

@hibs.net private member MrSmith's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would like to hear a more "Frank" line on the reasons for the downturn in season tickets etc, keyboard warrior talk is not that helpful. In fact it's a bit too much like doing what you're told.

You are correct, the reason for not renewing nor attending are complicated. For me, well ... utterly disappointed and totally lost the 'love' factor! I feel the heart, soul and mentality are gone from the club and further more, cannot associate with many of the players. Everything feels bolt-on not building from however, there is longer term contracts given out to younger players and new players which does bode well for future team development. I do though, still pay for my three boys strips and my eldest son season ticket.

I don't know what will bring me back?? Continued failure - in my view - will not!

In your opinion. I agree with him that the constant negativity doesn't help at a time when we need all pulling in the same direction.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar

It was good to read the blog and long may it continue, the keyboard warrior talk is disrespectful, what are we meant to do in the context of the directors views? blindly accept them or say nothing in disagreement or end up branded keyboard warriors / negative? Kind of defeats the purpose of the interview if only positive noises are welcome.

Would sending a letter in be more acceptable? the club are rightly staying in touch with fans via the internet so its just about foreseeable that fans might respond in a similar way through various forums, using keyboards.

For what its worth there's a lot of overdue good stuff happening at last and I am happy with having Frank and Amit, the supporters on board but I agree with the very good post above about the difference between being a fan and being a director.
    Last edited by Bostonhibby; 03-09-2015 at 10:10 AM.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    You are correct, the reason for not renewing nor attending are complicated. For me, well ... utterly disappointed and totally lost the 'love' factor! I feel the heart, soul and mentality are gone from the club and further more, cannot associate with many of the players.
    Since 'Bosman', all clubs have a much higher turnover of players than before. Also, the bulk of Hibs 1st team squad from last season are still there, in addition to some (hopefully) quality signings.

Everything feels bolt-on not building from however
    Everthing that's been put in place since LD's arrival is about building from the bottom and continuity.

there is longer term contracts given out to younger players and new players which does bode well for future team development. I do though, still pay for my three boys strips and my eldest son season ticket.
    The players that we've signed are on 2, 3 & (McGinn) 4 year contracts.

I don't know what will bring me back?? Continued failure - in my view - will not!
    Neither do I.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    If anything constant internet chatter while good or bad at least keeps me engaged with hibs when at times over the last few years I would have just switched off from it and not bothered going to some games. If everyone agreed on forums and twitter than no one would engage with anyone at all.

These people have always existed, they were in your local pub but maybe there was only one or two of them. Now they can engage with eachother on the internet so it may seem like there are a lot of these people or they are influencing others. To me he seems like a man that doesn't understand the internet.

" Alright we're in the same division but we're seeing better football, more attacking football." that line made me laugh, I have been at 2 games this season and watched another 2 on TV, we have not been playing well at all.

I don't know how you can not understand the 1300 people not renewing, countless times over the last 5 or 6 years people have been giving hibs a "one last chance" then I am out scenario, I suspect that staying in the championship for another year at SPL level prices (which are too much as it is) was too much for some people.

One of my worst moments as a hibs fan was losing that play off to rangers and the realisation that we are down there for another year, it was crushing and if I was a season ticket holder, the way I felt after that game would not have led me to renew my seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    It was good to read the blog and long may it continue, the keyboard warrior talk is disrespectful, what are we meant to do in the context of the directors views? blindly accept them or say nothing in disagreement or end up branded keyboard warriors / negative? Kind of defeats the purpose of the interview if only positive noises are welcome.

For what its worth there's a lot of overdue good stuff happening at last and I am happy with having Frank and Amit, the supporters on board but I agree with the very good post above about the difference between being a fan and being a director.
    I don't think so at all. There's an endless amount of ignorant & unfounded crap posted on here and elsewhere, much of it far more disrespectful than anything Frank has said in the interview.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I don't think so at all. There's an endless amount of ignorant & unfounded crap posted on here and elsewhere, much of it far more disrespectful than anything Frank has said in the interview.
    Don't disagree with you at all, but hey, that's the internet.

I suppose what gets me is when reasoned criticism (or not outright happy clapping ) is dismissed as "keyboard warrior" and the like - Personally not upset by the gist of what Frank is saying. I rose to the keyboard warrior chat again.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    As things stand the PR from Hibs is right on the button IMO ..... I also think there's not a great deal more the club could be doing to back the manager within the constraints of our budget, some of the players we have managed to attract is remarkable, considering the league we are in .... We have a lot of new players who like it or not still need time to get better as a unit, but the signs are good if last Saturday is anything to go by.

As I said previously ... My only problem with Frank's interview was that it contained some criticism of a section of our support ... As a member of our board he has to put his personal feelings aside on these things, and that includes being MIA at Tynecastle .... Unless of course they have a restraining order on him

Well said. Frank talking about people criticising the club? He means criticising for the sake of it. The club I'm sure would welcome criticism as long as there is a point to it and is constructive. Why would they or should they give the time of day to some utter drivel we have read on this forum and heard shouted at games?!