hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Since when has football been an exact science. Plenty players who were "hopeless" at Hibs have gone on to be successes elsewhere - we've talked about enough of them on here. So why not give the guy a chance before we condemn him to the scrapheap ? He might have a point to prove, our style might suit him perfectly, he might even respond to positive encouragement from the fans. Stranger things have happened.
    Why should we not give our honest opinions on players? I'm just saying what many are thinking, take a look at the "strongest team" thread, I think he's only been mentioned once or maybe twice in it and that was on someones bench.

I'd be more than delighted to be proven wrong but I seriously doubt that will happen, the fact we already have 5 strikers that are far better than him will make the likelihood that he's even given enough chances to do the business for us even more remote.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    You don't have to change your opinion it's just not always necessary to share it.
    Football in general would become extremely boring if people were encouraged not to share their opinion if it doesn't match that of everyone elses Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Nutmegged View Post
    Why should we not give our honest opinions on players? I'm just saying what many are thinking, take a look at the "strongest team" thread, I think he's only been mentioned once or maybe twice in it and that was on someones bench.

I'd be more than delighted to be proven wrong but I seriously doubt that will happen, the fact we already have 5 strikers that are far better than him will make the likelihood that he's even given enough chances to do the business for us even more remote.
    Never said you shouldn't or weren't entitled. Just surprised that someone supporting a team can be so quick to write off a player that the Manager thinks can do a job. Stubbs' signing record is decent so I for one will be giving the guy a chance. Might even wait until i see him play before booing him

Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    Never said you shouldn't or weren't entitled. Just surprised that someone supporting a team can be so quick to write off a player that the Manager thinks can do a job. Stubbs' signing record is decent so I for one will be giving the guy a chance. Might even wait until i see him play before booing him
    I was responding to you saying give him a chance, I've no other option, its not my call, so he'll get all the chances the manager deems acceptable but I cant just change my feelings on the player just because he's now wearing a Hibs top.

I'd be ecstatic if he came in and scored the goals to take us up, I'm in general a fan who looks at the positives but we now have 6 strikers and I wouldn't pick him in front of any of them, maybe Stubbs sees something in him no-one else has, time will tell but if the proverbial hits the fan I wont exactly be bemused by it.

I was responding to you saying give him a chance, I've no other option, its not my call, so he'll get all the chances the manager deems acceptable but I cant just change my feelings on the player just because he's now wearing a Hibs top.

From that response it doesn't sound like you are going to give him a chance at all and have already decided Stubbs has clearly got it wrong and you have pre-judged the player to be a failure already. And what is this expert opinion of yours based on exactly?!

The boy hasn't even kicked a ball for us yet!!!
    Last edited by Iain G; 02-09-2015 at 11:46 AM.

I think he'll be used until \ if farid gets fit. Remember we're not putting the boy on a 4y contract. Very small outlay for a player who may be useful in the air - especially in this division.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I think he'll be used until \ if farid gets fit. Remember we're not putting the boy on a 4y contract. Very small outlay for a player who may be useful in the air - especially in this division.
    Thats about the size of it a different option to the other strikers we have. Not a huge gamble but could probably do a job as he has scored against top league sides.

Here are the managers comments on Anier,

Head Coach Alan Stubbs said: “Henri will bring something different to our attacking options.

“He is a powerful centre forward who will bring others in to play and complement the qualities of our other strikers. He knows the Scottish game and will hit the ground running here.

“We now have strong competition for places within the team and that will bring out the best in the players that are already here.”
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 02-09-2015 at 02:34 PM.

I'd be ecstatic if he came in and scored the goals to take us up, I'm in general a fan who looks at the positives but we now have 6 strikers and I wouldn't pick him in front of any of them, maybe Stubbs sees something in him no-one else has, time will tell but if the proverbial hits the fan I wont exactly be bemused by it.
    Playing up front is not all about scoring goals yourself.There are many good players in that position who don't score lots-Fletcher,Jordan,Ferguson-to name three.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Playing up front is not all about scoring goals yourself.There are many good players in that position who don't score lots-Fletcher,Jordan,Ferguson-to name three.
    Anier is not a major goal scorer, what he is, is a big strong lad who will create chances for our major goal scorers like Malonga, Cummings and Keatings. Judge him on this

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Anier is not a major goal scorer, what he is, is a big strong lad who will create chances for our major goal scorers like Malonga, Cummings and Keatings. Judge him on this
    Correct, not only this it depends on how Utd played him. Was he a lone striker? Of so its no wonder he never scored many! I think he will do well down here and that's what matters.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Agree he is physically differernt and will bring other strengths and balance to the other strikers who are mostly smaller.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    The replies to the "Anier signs" tweet on the official account are 90% negative. Nice one support, way to introduce yourself to a new signing and I hope the guy doesn't use Twitter.

Hoping he'll prove some doubters wrong.

How many goals did Mixu score per season before we signed him ?, i bet it was hardly in double figures but what he added to the team was another dimension and allowed others to play off him. As for some folk slagging the big target man if it's good enough for Arsenal/Man City/Chelsea then it's good enough for me !.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    The replies to the "Anier signs" tweet on the official account are 90% negative. Nice one support, way to introduce yourself to a new signing and I hope the guy doesn't use Twitter.

Depressing isn't it? I suppose their own egos are more important than the good of the club they 'support' though.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Welcome to Hibs, Henri!

No doubt he'll provide a different option at least from the bench. Looks a strong lad as well and that's exactly what we'll need in a few games.

He's absolutely hopeless, just because he signs for Hibs wont suddenly change that, its amazing how people expect fans to suddenly change their opinion of someone just because they sign for our team

He instantly became our 6th choice striker
    The part in bold - what are you basing this on? How often have you seen him play?

@hibs.net private member

Official Site: ANIER SIGNS FOR HIBERNIAN

I love the fact that fans on here think they are better judges of footballers than Stubbs and his team - dream on guys ! I'll bet on Stubbs. Go on big man - lets See you work hard and earn your place !

Blog Entries
    I really don't think that any pro footballer will give a toss about a few fan criticisms on social media.

He's absolutely hopeless, just because he signs for Hibs wont suddenly change that, its amazing how people expect fans to suddenly change their opinion of someone just because they sign for our team

He instantly became our 6th choice striker
    Having started the game against Dumbarton with Cummings and Dom up front and having toiled to score for an hour or so it was disheartening to have so little to come off the bench and change a game up front in a game in which there were as many points on offer in the quest for promotion as there are in any other game. Watching Stubbs fling on Stanton and try to fashion a forward line out of what we had available was properly disconcerting.

To go from that to having an Internationalist as a sixth choice striker (as you put it) in just a few weeks can only be considered to be a good thing imo.

For me he starts with a clean slate - that would be the case whether he's been plumbing the depths with United's reserves for the past few years or banging them in at a much higher level.

He'll hopefully have a bit of a point to prove. Don't write him off before he's kicked a ball.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    He'll hopefully have a bit of a point to prove. Don't write him off before he's kicked a ball.
    Like our defence probably did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lcl3FV3xLk

Welcome Henri.

So let me get this straight

Jason cummings isn't good enough or score enough goals and was the highest scorer in the league

Malonga scored about 16 goals and fans are happy for him to leave

Arier signs from a spl team, overall good goal scoring record and is brought in to be a powerful/ hold up striker but yet he isn't good enough either.

What do the fans want?! We are a championship team ffs. You will be going a long way to find a club in Scotland with a better quality /variatian/ better goals record than malonga, cummings, farid, keatings and arier. Also feruz and insall

We have a strong team. It is a team game, they will all contribute in different ways. Whether it is scoring, assisting or bullying the defence

Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

Jason cummings isn't good enough or score enough goals and was the highest scorer in the league

Arier signs from a spl team, overall good goal scoring record and is brought in to be a powerful/ hold up striker but yet he isn't good enough either.

What do the fans want?! We are a championship team ffs. You will be going a long way to find a club in Scotland with a better quality /variatian/ better goals record than malonga, cummings, farid, keatings and arier. Also feruz and insall

We have a strong team. It is a team game, they will all contribute in different ways. Whether it is scoring, assisting or bullying the defence
    Out of the number of folk that post on here how many people do you think share these opinions?

Enough straw men to build a haystack.

Don't see Anier on the pitch or the bench for Estonia. Please tell me he is not injured!?

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post

Most of the social media brigade are fond of posting stuff like "hibs til I die" commenting on official accounts (in the arnier style you pointed out) but not actually attending games!

I think Arnier May prove many wrong by being a very useful option.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGK View Post
    Don't see Anier on the pitch or the bench for Estonia. Please tell me he is not injured!?
    He wasn't selected for their final squad for the two internationals taking place this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    He wasn't selected for their final squad for the two internationals taking place this weekend.

Thank's for that, was starting to get worried.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I love the fact that fans on here think they are better judges of footballers than Stubbs and his team - dream on guys ! I'll bet on Stubbs. Go on big man - lets See you work hard and earn your place !
    Of course we do, that's why we as fans spout pish on here and at games. But in reality we all know Stubbs should know more but not all the time.

I seem to be the only one who isn't happy about Anier signing so I'm wondering if you're pigeon holing me in with those who dont rate Malonga or have been down on Cummins...Definitely not in Jason's case, he's a goalscorer, a natural, Malonga is frustrating but like you said scored 16 goals last season, if we want someone to come in to be better than him then thays exactly what we go after, in my opinion Anier isn't close to being that guy