hibs.net Messageboard

Hibernian History Day 17

Season 1891-92

The ‘St Mary’s Star of the Sea’ CYMS took over the running of the club.

July, Hibs were put into abeyance until the affairs of the club could be resolved regarding the finances and the running of the club.

18th August, Hibs SFA membership was withdrawn due to non-payment of fees.

25th August, Hibs Second XI’s SFA membership withdrawn due to non-payment of fees.

Thomas Flood, left his job as a journalist in Glasgow and his place on the committee of Celtic to move to Edinburgh and join with others including, Philip and John Farmer, Charles Perry, Barney Lester and Thomas McCabe to help plan the reformation of Hibernians. It was at this time that they dropped the ‘s’ of the end of the name and where therafter know as Hibernian Football Club.

1892 Hibs failed to play any games.

Season results –
    Scottish Cup (did not compete)

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by big-mo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Season 1891-92
    It was at this time that they dropped the ‘s’ of the end of the name and where therafter know as Hibernian Football Club.
    I'd like to see your evidence for that Mo. Club registration and stationary has always had "Hibernian", no 's' at the end. The name "Hibernians" was a press term, like pluralising "Hearts".

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    I'd like to see your evidence for that Mo. Club registration and stationary has always had "Hibernian", no 's' at the end. The name "Hibernians" was a press term, like pluralising "Hearts".
    That's my understanding too. We were always Hibernian Football Club but we're refered to in the press as Hibernians.

First Team Breakthrough Conrad Gray's Avatar
    I don't know if this adds to the confusion but the club were still issuing tickets as Hibernians into the late 1940's........

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rabid Underdog View Post
    I don't know if this adds to the confusion but the club were still issuing tickets as Hibernians into the late 1940's........

image.jpg
    There's no doubt that the club is often called Hibernians, mostly in the early days. That pluralization was as common then just as the shortened version, Hib's=Hibs, is now. Similarly Heart of Midlothian is Hearts. However the official name for the club since it's inception has always been "Hibernian FC", just curious as to big-mo's source which shows a "decision" was taken to "drop the s", when there was no "s" to drop. Never read that before.

Yes we have always been hibernian. Newspapers have referred to us as hibernians or hibs but makes no difference. We have always been hibernian.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    Yes we have always been hibernian. Newspapers have referred to us as hibernians or hibs but makes no difference. We have always been hibernian.
    Spoke with a couple of guys today who are well up on the history of the club. Also checked out the books I have. Nowhere does it say any "s" was ever dropped, all say the club has always been Hibernian, as it says on the SC from the 1887 win. Still curious as to your source, mo. Some kind of fabrication along the line.

Think mo has made a mistake but he has brought to light an hibernian great Thomas Flood. I remember reading the making of hibernian many years ago but unfotunatly i lost it a few years ago. Thomas Flood was a great Hibernian who should be remembered. Without him we would have died many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    Think mo has made a mistake but he has brought to light an hibernian great Thomas Flood. I remember reading the making of hibernian many years ago but unfotunatly i lost it a few years ago. Thomas Flood was a great Hibernian who should be remembered. Without him we would have died many years ago.
    Sorry but I can not remember where I came up with this fact, when I wrote the orginal Hibernian History Handbook it was over five years ago and as you can imagine it took some time to put together. So sorry but I would have to do a fair bit of digging to unearth the origins of this assertion.

As for Thomas Flood, he was perhaps one of the best 'transfer' we ever got from Celtic and needs to get as much if not more credit for saving the club as STF grandfather got.