hibs.net Messageboard

Why isn't Murrayfield hosting World Cup matches

Can someone remind me why there are no matches scheduled for Murrayfield in this WC? I know England is the host nation but Cardiff are putting on games.

Cardiff's not in England.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can someone remind me why there are no matches scheduled for Murrayfield in this WC? I know England is the host nation but Cardiff are putting on games.

Cardiff's not in England.

I recall hearing that Scotland put a case forward for Murrayfield to be included in the bid, but the English Rugby Union didn't go with it..

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    [QUOTE=heretoday;4453616]Can someone remind me why there are no matches scheduled for Murrayfield in this WC? I know England is the host nation but Cardiff are putting on games.

Cardiff's not in England.[/QUOT

I keep hearing about how Scotland would love to sever all ties with English so we aint sharing it with you. :-)

It's a freezing ****hole?

I hope Scotland jolly well win the World Cup just to show them.

Totally off topic but did I read the other week Scotland are currently ranked 12th in the world at rugby?

I know there are countries like Canada, Spain and Japan who make a token attempt at the game but of those who play it seriously is 12th not just about as bad as it gets?

Edit: Just checked and I see we are up to 10th after beating Italy last week, they are now 15th below Georgia. My googling also linked to quite an interesting blog suggesting a 2nd level of the 6 Nations to give the tier 2 sides more of a chance to play tier 1 sides and build ranking points. The idea was based on a relegation/promotion system and it was suggested it would benefit the likes of Georgia and Romania whilst potentially impacting on Scotland and Italy (potentially catastrophically). Never going to happen due to the finances involved but interesting insight into how tough it is for the tier 2 sides to even get a game and how protected he tier 1 sides rankings are.

Don't really like rugby but I'm going to the Scotland v Samoa game at St James Park.

Any excuse for a weekend away!

I heard that the Rugby World Cup company (unlike the football World Cup being run by FIFA, the rugby version is run by a for profit company) wanted a ridiculous advance payment from each venue to be approved as a tournament venue, something crazy like several million pounds each. The SRU wouldn't and probably couldn't afford it.

Is the Scotland game at Elland Road sold out?
    Cougars!!!

I'm of to Cardiff next weekend to see the game v Uruguay.

Hotels costs are extortionate!

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    I'm of to Cardiff next weekend to see the game v Uruguay.

Hotels costs are extortionate!
    .... and we have arrived!!

First Team Breakthrough
    I like Rugby, I like the passion and raw power that men put into the game. It has to be said though, the rugby chiefs are doing their best to put people off watching the RWC with banning of the pipes, big flags, drums and other items that make a noise! These are things that make going to sporting occasions feel like a carnival, the colour the noise, the singing along with the instruments leading you on etc etc. I think they've got it wrong but at the same time they wont be bothered too much as most big games will be sold out. I just think the punter is losing out a bit.

First Team Breakthrough
    The constant referral to the TMO was a pain in last nights game. Never thought I'd agree with Clive Woodward but first time for everything!

Quote Originally Posted by fulshie View Post
    I like Rugby, I like the passion and raw power that men put into the game. It has to be said though, the rugby chiefs are doing their best to put people off watching the RWC with banning of the pipes, big flags, drums and other items that make a noise! These are things that make going to sporting occasions feel like a carnival, the colour the noise, the singing along with the instruments leading you on etc etc. I think they've got it wrong but at the same time they wont be bothered too much as most big games will be sold out. I just think the punter is losing out a bit.
    I go to the Saracens every now and again. Football clubs could learn a lot from the way rugby clubs manage the match day experience of their fans. The players especially (yes, that includes you, Harry Kane, you torn faced arrogant flash in the pan twat)