hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar

Paul Cairney Applause.

What was the applause and standing ovation all about for a opposition player last night, seems to be coming a bit of a annoying habit that we applaud a opposition player off the park but give abuse to our own players during games.

It was Paul Cairney, not exactly a Hibs great is he, mind you neither was McFadden but i think he did score a goal in Paris one night, we need to stop this nonsense.

And while I'm at it, why are we applauding the away support when there attendance is announced, why are we even welcoming away supporters to ER, baffling, what happened to lets turn ER in to a fortress and make it as uncomfortable as possible for away teams and supporters.

Still seems to be that soft touch about the club.

No tin hat needed.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Spark up SdGP and chill out!

@hibs.net private member hibbymick's Avatar
    we'll be carrying round tea and scones to the away end next.

I think anyone that manages to be that fat and get a game for a senior football club is deserving of applause.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    He ripped Ryan McGowan to pieces on the 1-0 Scottish cup win a few years back. That's worth an applause

@hibs.net private member
    some applause for a former player and friendly acknowledgement of Stranraer fans - thats not about "being soft" just some football respect..

Get some Barry White records on and forget the football world for a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What was the applause and standing ovation all about for a opposition player last night, seems to be coming a bit of a annoying habit that we applaud a opposition player off the park but give abuse to our own players during games.

It was Paul Cairney, not exactly a Hibs great is he, mind you neither was McFadden but i think he did score a goal in Paris one night, we need to stop this nonsense.

And while I'm at it, why are we applauding the away support when there attendance is announced, why are we even welcoming away supporters to ER, baffling, what happened to lets turn ER in to a fortress and make it as uncomfortable as possible for away teams and supporters.

No tin hat needed.
    an awful footballer and a big part of why we ended up in this mess.

I'll happily clap off a player who has put in a top class display. Ive never seen him put one in.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    I doff my cap to everyone of the 130 odd fans who travelled up from Stranraer last night. Would you prefer they all supported the bigot brothers like many Stranraer locals do? I agree make it uncomfortable for the opposing team on the pitch but I was hoping our players would do that. Why do we want to make a bunch of diehard Stranraer fans uncomfortable?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    an awful footballer and a big part of why we ended up in this mess.

I'll happily clap off a player who has put in a top class display. Ive never seen him put one in.

nonsense

@hibs.net private member

No tin hat needed.
    I agree, really rips ma knitting :)

@hibs.net private member Libby Hibby's Avatar
    Moan moan moan moan moan

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    I doff my cap to everyone of the 130 odd fans who travelled up from Stranraer last night. Would you prefer they all supported the bigot brothers like many Stranraer locals do? I agree make it uncomfortable for the opposing team on the pitch but I was hoping our players would do that. Why do we want to make a bunch of diehard Stranraer fans uncomfortable?
    'An extra special thanks' to them though?

How about an extra special thanks to the Hibs fans who still bother to turn up every week as opposed to cosying up to away fans.

Nothing wrong with applauding former players or even great players IMO. What annoys me is this thing where every time we're beating a small club at ER that a substituted player is getting a patronising wee hand from the crowd- utterly cringeworthy.

Do agree about the clapping for the away fans when the attendance is announced by the cheesy DJ. More patronising nonsense. We dont announce how many fans Sevco have brought and thank and applaud them so why do it with the smaller teams?

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    nonsense
    why? he was shocking, over weight, slow and somehow still managed to get injured. That squad of players that went down had about 8 or 9 truly awful footballers in it.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Well he got dogs abuse for being a lard ar$e when he came over to the east to take a corner. Did seem kinda strange he got applauded off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

@hibs.net private member
    why? he was shocking, over weight, slow and somehow still managed to get injured. That squad of players that went down had about 8 or 9 truly awful footballers in it.
    You said he was a big part of the mess we are in...that's exaggerated nonsense.

You said he was a big part of the mess we are in...that's exaggerated nonsense.
    how is it? Players of that ability should have been nowhere near the club. We went down cause over the course of 3 or 4 years we constantly bought poor players...somehow Fenlon still managed to keep us mid league with those players, but then Butcher came in and actually signed even worse players and down we went. He's not even a stand out for Stranraer!!

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    'An extra special thanks' to them though?

How about an extra special thanks to the Hibs fans who still bother to turn up every week as opposed to cosying up to away fans.
    If it makes you feel any better I started applauding when the official attendance was announced in recognition of the Hibs fans who bothered to turn up. I also applauded the Stranraer fans who also made a considerable effort to attend ER, hardly cosying up

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    I really wish that this issue was at the top of our things to sort out list.

Nothing wrong with applauding a player who gave his all for us. Was far from the worst player during those grim years.

@hibs.net private member
    how is it? Players of that ability should have been nowhere near the club. We went down cause over the course of 3 or 4 years we constantly bought poor players...somehow Fenlon still managed to keep us mid league with those players, but then Butcher came in and actually signed even worse players and down we went. He's not even a stand out for Stranraer!!

but that's a completely different point, your original point was specifically about Cairney, not about the high level amount of below standard players we have signed over the last 3 or 4 years...on that I'd agree - to single out Cairney as a "big part" of why we are were are(which you did) was nonsense.

No tin hat needed.
    What's your outburst all about? If you object - don't applaud. Just don't question others for doing so.

but that's a completely different point, your original point was specifically about Cairney, not about the high level amount of below standard players we have signed over the last 3 or 4 years...on that I'd agree - to single out Cairney as a "big part" of why we are were are(which you did) was nonsense.
    ok - did Paul Cairney do anything to keep us up? Or did he just mess about in training, hang out with his car share pals, and enjoy a few ciders and kebabs at weekends? I'll leave it here but that squad was stinking in attitude and ability.

ok - did Paul Cairney do anything to keep us up? Or did he just mess about in training, hang out with his car share pals, and enjoy a few ciders and kebabs at weekends? I'll leave it here but that squad was stinking in attitude and ability.
    The venga dislikes this.

If it makes you feel any better I started applauding when the official attendance was announced in recognition of the Hibs fans who bothered to turn up. I also applauded the Stranraer fans who also made a considerable effort to attend ER, hardly cosying up
    I've made a considerable effort to attend Ibrox and Dumbarton this season as well as ER on.countless ocassions in the past and neve had, nor expected a thanks or an applause.

It's patronising nonsense and I doubt Aberdeen, fa comparable distance to Stranraer, will get a round of applause in a few weeks.

@hibs.net private member

aye, Paul Cairney is a big reason we got relegated...I thought I had heard them all. Thats why I picked you up on it.

No one would argue about the broader point that you have now made - but I think we have had 100s of threads about that chat.

@hibs.net private member ginger_rice's Avatar
    You're right most of the population down there are sevco fans, I've been in the wee Stranraer club a few times and TBH they are very welcoming bunch took a bit of a ribbing about being a Hibby though!
    "Football should always be played beautifully, you should play in an attacking way, it must be a spectacle". Johan Cruyff.

Coaching Staff
    Most of them actually spent most of their time in the top half of the SPL, I'd take that now.

@hibs.net private member O'Rourke3's Avatar
    I didn't clap either time and was a wee bit surprised he got the applause he did - noted that in an update I was doing at the time. I do seem to think when we do give any ex player real abuse or a hard time it's invariably them that gets the last minute winner or equaliser. Maybe we should applaud all the away teams

No tin hat needed.
    Complete drivel, a decent player who always gave 110% for the jersey. As I said on Facebook after the game last night, players must hate playing for us.