hibs.net Messageboard

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs History View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Any info on who?
    He's two footed, hangs about the left wing and is dangerous at set pieces.

Yep, you got it. Thierry Henry

2. Log in to remove the advert

Understand from a" Scottish Agent" that there are legal problems connected to his contract at Wigan ( or its renewal) and it is felt better for both parties that he goes out on loan while the " legal eagles" sort things out
    Sounds plausible

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    Indeed. We need to be beatiig most teams we play this year by 3 or 4 goals, not nicking 1-0s!

I don't think we go out with the mind set to destroy teams though, we seem to just want to do enough to get by.
    This.

While I'd much prefer to be nicking 1-0's than shipping points to late goals we need to be banging in 2 or 3 goals minimum every match and with the players we have there is no reason why we can't.

@hibs.net private member Kojock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    As long as we're scraping the points then we're doing fine.
    Unfortunately that is not the case so far having only taken three points from our first three games scoring a measly two goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kojock View Post
    Unfortunately that is not the case so far having only taken three points from our first three games scoring a measly two goals.
    A big problem with scraping points is that every team you play thinks they're in the game.
    The yams got a lot of points last season playing teams that were already beaten before the kick off.

When we waltzed promotion last time we were down (and I know, different and far better team) we had a lot of teams turning up expecting to get thumped.
    I think we'll struggle to get up this season without adding close to a goal to our goals a game average for last season.

Put it another way - if you offered me 2.5 goals a game or 30 clean sheets in the remaining league games I'd take the former every time as at the moment we'd drop too many points to 0-0 for the latter to work.

By selectively quoting this line it misses the point I was trying to make.

If we scrape through games but still win we get away with it. Short-term, for me this is acceptable because you get the same number of points for a scarcely-deserved scraped 1-0 as you to a comprehensive 8-0 pumping.

It's not sustainable and cannot be the extent of our ambitions.

For whatever reason we look off the pace right now. Fitness, tactics, personnel, whatever. But it is (ultimately, given our ambitions this season) better to be pulling things apart having got three points or proceeded to the next round of the cup than to have dropped points playing brilliantly.

We haven't done well enough yet, no doubt about it we haven't had the start we'd have wanted and Rangers have. But at this stage I'd say that the Dumbarton game was the only awful result and that's just one game. We were unlucky to be narrowly beaten by the best team in the world at Ibrox, well beaten after having dominated the first 40 minutes against the same side in a pre-season diddy cup kick around and done the bare minimum in the other games.

It needs to get better, but an ugly 1-0 again this weekend would be fine. A few weeks then to work on things and improve and build the performances that will make teams fear us later. Yes, we are probably now where we should have been 5 weeks or so ago but there you go. We are were we are. A win at the weekend and a result for QotS against Rangers (not a ridiculous notion by any stretch of the imagination) and things suddenly don't look that bleak.

First Team Breakthrough Yuillsy's Avatar
    Signed for United, just announced on their twitter.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar

If we scrape through games but still win we get away with it. Short-term, for me this is acceptable because you get the same number of points for a scarcely-deserved scraped 1-0 as you to a comprehensive 8-0 pumping.

For whatever reason we look off the pace right now. Fitness, tactics, personnel, whatever. But it is (ultimately, given our ambitions this season) better to be pulling things apart having got three points or proceeded to the next round of the cup than to have dropped points playing brilliantly.

We haven't done well enough yet, no doubt about it we haven't had the start we'd have wanted and Rangers have. But at this stage I'd say that the Dumbarton game was the only awful result and that's just one game. We were unlucky to be narrowly beaten by the best team in the world at Ibrox, well beaten after having dominated the first 40 minutes against the same side in a pre-season diddy cup kick around and done the bare minimum in the other games.

It needs to get better, but an ugly 1-0 again this weekend would be fine. A few weeks then to work on things and improve and build the performances that will make teams fear us later. Yes, we are probably now where we should have been 5 weeks or so ago but there you go. We are were we are. A win at the weekend and a result for QotS against Rangers (not a ridiculous notion by any stretch of the imagination) and things suddenly don't look that bleak.
    Yip, thats a scenario we all want this weekend, we certainly dont want to drop anymore point for a while. We cant afford to let The Rangers get too far ahead if we are serious about trying to win this league.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuillsy View Post
    Only on loan though, wonder if we were close to getting him

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuillsy View Post
    Did anyone really believe hibs were in with a chance of signing him?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    Yes

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post

I think its good that we were actually interested in him and it does appear we made an attempt to get him. Maybe another reason to be upset about where we are playing our football, because if we were in the top league, i have no doubt we'd have beaten off Dundee Utd to his signature.

Next

One of the reasons we went to La Manga was to hit the ground running, unfortunately we haven't even broke into a jog so far. Only decent performance this season was against Sevco but we still didn't take anything from the game. How many games last season did we dominate but couldn't score and then lost a goal, dropping points in the process. Not seen anything so far this season to suggest we will challenge Sevco for automatic promotion.

One of the reasons we went to La Manga was to hit the ground running, unfortunately we haven't even broke into a jog so far. Only decent performance this season was against Sevco but we still didn't take anything from the game. How many games last season did we dominate but couldn't score and then lost a goal, dropping points in the process. Not seen anything so far this season to suggest we will challenge Sevco for automatic promotion.
    And yet we finished 2nd, that was after people predicting we might be in a relegation dogfight. There is a long long way to go. The dumbarton result has overshadowed the start of the seaon, im still confident that we will be challenging.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    And yet we finished 2nd, that was after people predicting we might be in a relegation dogfight. There is a long long way to go. The dumbarton result has overshadowed the start of the seaon, im still confident that we will be challenging.
    True, and i keep consoling myself with that. But second, a hundred miles behind first (and automatic promotion), we lost out to Rangers in the playoff. We may have finished second in the league, but ultimately we finished third in a three horse race for promotion last season.

Exactly we finished second because by the time we got our act together the poppy thieves were out of sight. If we don't start winning soon Sevco will be the same.

Exactly we finished second because by the time we got our act together the poppy thieves were out of sight. If we don't start winning soon Sevco will be the same.
    Yeh my point was that we have lost one game that we shouldve won, you could argue that we shouldve taken something from ibrox but im not losing too much sleep over that. Lets just see where we are after we have played everyone once. Im sure we will not be far behind. If the roles were reversed and we had beat the rangers at easter road would we all be saying that the league is over??

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Yes
    I admire your optimisim, but come on

Yeh my point was that we have lost one game that we shouldve won, you could argue that we shouldve taken something from ibrox but im not losing too much sleep over that. Lets just see where we are after we have played everyone once. Im sure we will not be far behind. If the roles were reversed and we had beat the rangers at easter road would we all be saying that the league is over??
    We never looked like beating Dumbarton, we huffed and puffed to a 1-0 win over Morton. We should have taken something from the Sevco game but once again we failed to score. If we don't get our act together soon then Sevco will be out of sight after the first round of fixtures.

We never looked like beating Dumbarton, we huffed and puffed to a 1-0 win over Morton. We should have taken something from the Sevco game but once again we failed to score. If we don't get our act together soon then Sevco will be out of sight after the first round of fixtures.
    Yep and rangers struggled to beat st mirren and there was nothing in the game between them and us. So what if we huffed and puffed, it was a win. We are not playing well but i think there is much more to come from us. The rangers will drop points, im not conceding anything yet.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Yep and rangers struggled to beat st mirren and there was nothing in the game between them and us. So what if we huffed and puffed, it was a win. We are not playing well but i think there is much more to come from us. The rangers will drop points, im not conceding anything yet.
    They scored 3 against st mirren?

If we were scoring 3 against teams when we were struggling I think people would be a lot more relaxed.

Long way to go.............
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    They scored 3 against st mirren?

If we were scoring 3 against teams when we were struggling I think people would be a lot more relaxed.
    Yep they did score three, but, and i dunno if you watched it, st mirren missed a pen in the 2nd half at 1-1 and were much the better team. If that had been us we would have folk saying we were lucky thst the pen was missed. My point really was that they will drop points and we will get better.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Yep they did score three, but, and i dunno if you watched it, st mirren missed a pen in the 2nd half at 1-1 and were much the better team. If that had been us we would have folk saying we were lucky thst the pen was missed. My point really was that they will drop points and we will get better.
    the rangers were 2-1 up when st,mirren missed the pen. also if you watched the game THE rangers looked like scoring everytime they attacked

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    the rangers were 2-1 up when st,mirren missed the pen. also if you watched the game THE rangers looked like scoring everytime they attacked
    Ah sorry thought it was 1-1 however st mirren were def the better team at that point.at the end of the day all im saying there is a long way to go, and i think they will drop points. Thats all.
    Last edited by Gordy M; 28-08-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eastterrace View Post
    They certainly never looked like scoring every time they attacked against us last Sunday. As for the "free kick" they got, we didn't deserve a loss............
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

No one is asking you to concede anything ,but the fact remains Sevco have hit the ground running not us .Winning breeds confidence we all know that .We kept waiting for Hearts to drop points last Season and it turned out they didn't drop many .
    Like it or not we are putting pressure on ourselves ,and Teams like Raith will be well aware of that ,and will make it difficult for us ,as they know we struggle to break teams down .
    Tomorrow we have to find a way to win and I don't care how we do it ,but win we must We then need to go on a long unbeaten run IMO ,because as of tonight we are seven points behind Falkirk never mind Sevco .
    We will improve ,I have no doubts about that ,,but until then we have to grind out wins .

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    No one is asking you to concede anything ,but the fact remains Sevco have hit the ground running not us .Winning breeds confidence we all know that .We kept waiting for Hearts to drop points last Season and it turned out they didn't drop many .
    Like it or not we are putting pressure on ourselves ,and Teams like Raith will be well aware of that ,and will make it difficult for us ,as they know we struggle to break teams down .
    Tomorrow we have to find a way to win and I don't care how we do it ,but win we must We then need to go on a long unbeaten run IMO ,because as of tonight we are seven points behind Falkirk never mind Sevco .
    We will improve ,I have no doubts about that ,,but until then we have to grind out wins .
    Nope im not looking for anyones approval regarding conceding anything, i really couldnt care less...but it seems some already have? Would you not agree? 3 games into the season??Yes its not been a great start but my point is that there is a lot of football still to be played. I had the same discussion at the start of last season re falkirk, how they were going to challenge us in the league, didnt even make the play offs. Do you think falkirk will finish above us? As i said earlier, once we have played everyone then lets see where we are.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Nope im not looking for anyones approval regarding conceding anything, i really couldnt care less...but it seems some already have? Would you not agree? 3 games into the season??Yes its not been a great start but my point is that there is a lot of football still to be played. I had the same discussion at the start of last season re falkirk, how they were going to challenge us in the league, didnt even make the play offs. Do you think falkirk will finish above us? As i said earlier, once we have played everyone then lets see where we are.
    we will finish above falkirk thats a gimmie but we wont win the league with what we have and thats a gimmie as well.