hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Duncan Watmore

Interesting stuff, NorthNorfolk. Infuriating to hear what was going on behind the scenes at that time! Always thought Watmore looked like he had plenty of potential but it seemed to have been drained out of him by the end of his loan.

2. Log in to remove the advert

For a promising player with clear ability with the ball at his feet it was an awful Hibs team to have to come in to. Reckon he might have shined elsewhere. Good for him though that he's doing well back at Sunderland.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He can't play in a league with no refereeing. Had lumps kicked out of him.
    The laddie had talent but his shin-pads were far too thin.

Needed a pair of these http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...FUZ0PgodjYEH2g

First Team Breakthrough
    thought he was excellent in flashes for us but ultimately he was playing in a team low on confidence so couldn't realise his full ability. he has also improved since he left so im not too surprised really

Reminds me of Nick barmby good luck Duncan

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    Sadly, he loved Edinburgh and really thought Hibs could be a big club.

He was an articulate guy and said he felt let down by terry butcher as he, as an Englishman held him in high regard.

The list was endless but I really detest butcher et al for the poisonous atmosphere he created and allowed.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by broondog View Post
    thought he was excellent in flashes for us but ultimately he was playing in a team low on confidence so couldn't realise his full ability. he has also improved since he left so im not too surprised really
    Thought he was very poor and can count his excellent flashes on one hand. A young lad with potential thrown in at the wrong time,at the wrong club,by the wrong manager.Hopefully he will go on to carve a succesful career in the game.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    Thought he was very poor and can count his excellent flashes on one hand. A young lad with potential thrown in at the wrong time,at the wrong club,by the wrong manager.Hopefully he will go on to carve a succesful career in the game.
    Agree with this - other than his first game , he never really put in a performance - a lot of that will have been down to the manager and the team performance - some down to him. That said - delighted he is progressing and wish him all the best in the future !

I disagree that he was very poor but I agree that it was the wrong time, at the wrong club and by the first manager.

I'd add that his debut (with hindsight) was also the wrong game to throw him into. Raith's treatment of him that day was scandalous - in my 20+ years of following Scottish football that was the most obviously cynical performance I've seen in physically targeting an individual player. It was disgraceful. And I've SEEN Airdrieonians play.

Lesser men than Watmore might let it get to him (we've seen enough shrinking violets at Hibs go into decline after being with us over the past few years). His time at Hibs wasn't great but I can't think of anyone who would have thrived under those circumstances. At least he stood up and did his best and he did have his moments.

Great credit to him for learning from the experience and kicking on to become the excellent player that he now is.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I disagree that he was very poor but I agree that it was the wrong time, at the wrong club and by the first manager.

I'd add that his debut (with hindsight) was also the wrong game to throw him into. Raith's treatment of him that day was scandalous - in my 20+ years of following Scottish football that was the most obviously cynical performance I've seen in physically targeting an individual player. It was disgraceful. And I've SEEN Airdrieonians play.

Lesser men than Watmore might let it get to him (we've seen enough shrinking violets at Hibs go into decline after being with us over the past few years). His time at Hibs wasn't great but I can't think of anyone who would have thrived under those circumstances. At least he stood up and did his best and he did have his moments.

Great credit to him for learning from the experience and kicking on to become the excellent player that he now is.
    Not so sure he fits the excellent player description just yet.

Not so sure he fits the excellent player description just yet.
    A fair point and maybe that was overdoing it a bit.

But when he was with us he was getting kicked off the park and struggling to make an impact for a team who were plummeting out of the SPL.

He's now impressing the fans at a big club in the English Premiership, a tough physical league with a lot of good players.

To be even getting a sniff at that level then he must be doing something right and he deserves praise for the spirit that has seen him rise above the setbacks he suffered when he was with us.

Relatively speaking, and certainly compared to every footballer we will see this season - he is an excellent player.

First Team Breakthrough
    Just come on for England 21s - getting beat 1-0 with 15 to play. Won a penalty, scored one and skinned two on the wing to set up a 3rd.

3-1 final score and wins Man of match award.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    Just come on for England 21s - getting beat 1-0 with 15 to play. Won a penalty, scored one and skinned two on the wing to set up a 3rd.

3-1 final score and wins Man of match award.
    Incredible the difference he made.

England went from stodgy and clueless to ripping the Swiss to pieces.

Watmore had a great chance a few seconds after coming on and sidefooted over the bar, He then had a header that their keeper saved.

10 minutes later he has been brought down for the equalising penalty and scored the winner.
    He then laid on a third in injury time and then fired a shot miles over the bar.

Man of the match and only on the park for 18 minutes.

Well done Duncan!!!

Enjoy your champers, you deserve it.

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    New four year deal at Sunderland for the laddie.

Came on as a sub tonight, away to Crystal Palace and performed really well. The Cats won 1-0
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Came on as a sub tonight, away to Crystal Palace and performed really well. The Cats won 1-0
    I'm still not convinced by him, seems to have bulked up though

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Only time will tell, I guess
    This is how it feels

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Looks more developed certainly.

He has ability alright but he's still looking a bit raw in his decisions.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Only time will tell, I guess
    And you've more experience than me to judge him!
    I love the way that he runs at defenders, just not convinced that he's top quality

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Sunderland fans are buzzing at him signing his new deal. They were worried he was going to move to a bigger club. I'm absolutely convinced he'll go all the way

I liked him at hibs, he was clearly a talented player but he was stuck in probably the worst hibs team ever. Glad to see him doing well for himself, one of the very few I don't blame for that Butcher debacle.

Sky app comparing him to Pedro this morning, Defoe comparing him with Gareth Bale this afternoon

Quote Originally Posted by FastEddieFelson View Post
    Beat me to it haha

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    Sky app comparing him to Pedro this morning, Defoe comparing him with Gareth Bale this afternoon
    I could compare him to Bale as well.He's nowhere near the level Bale was.He may do OK in the Championship next season.

@hibs.net private member
    I thought Watmore was always destined to make I in the game, its not his fault he played in probably the worst Hibs team ever and an archaic hoofball system that Sunday League teams gave up years ago

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    I could compare him to Bale as well.He's nowhere near the level Bale was.He may do OK in the Championship next season.
    No offence but I reckon Jermaine Defoe who has watched them both break through at Spurs and Sunderland and had them both as teammates is in a decent place to make such a claim. Bale was a left back at Watmores age who had shown a lot of potential but was nowhere near the player he is now

Quote Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
    I liked him at hibs, he was clearly a talented player but he was stuck in probably the worst hibs team ever. Glad to see him doing well for himself, one of the very few I don't blame for that Butcher debacle.
    Aside from being in a crap Hibs team managed by our worst ever manager, I recall Watmore getting next to no protection from referees and being booted off the park. But, hey! That is Scottish football for you. He will not be back for more