hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duncan Watmore

Duncan Watmore

Scores his second goal for Sunderland and called up by England u21s.

Some thought he was not good enough though!!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I just don't think he was ready for first team football when he joined us.

Don't think many said he wasn't good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I just don't think he was ready for first team football when he joined us.

Don't think many said he wasn't good enough.
    Some did though was my point!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xoROOSKYox
    Quote Originally Posted by theonlywayisup View Post

To be fair mate, the guy was absolutely stinking at Hibs. A lot of things can change in a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He wasn't really good enough at Hibs though.

Not through too much fault of his own but he was kicked off the park in his 1st game, spent a lot of time injured and was ineffective when he did play. The manager, the injuries and the general feel around the club are likely all to blame as well as his inexperience. It was obvious he was a player but he didn't really perform at ER.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member GreenLake's Avatar
    He can't play in a league with no refereeing. Had lumps kicked out of him.

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLake View Post
    He can't play in a league with no refereeing. Had lumps kicked out of him.
    This. He was also surrounded by utter dross.
    "Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.' - Paulo Freire

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    This. He was also surrounded by utter dross.
    Still is surrounded by dross at Sunderland.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Dave1875
    Still don't think he's very good

Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    Still is surrounded by dross at Sunderland.
    Slightly higher quality dross though.

It's not much of a surprise that he's doing well, he clearly had the potential to become a quality player. It's a shame it wasn't with us.

And yeah, it might have worked out better if he was able to play football without getting constantly kicked, with no punishment. No wonder Scotland struggles to produce skillful players.

@hibs.net private member
    I thought he was good enough for hibs always rated the boy happy for him:)

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    I thought he was good enough for hibs always rated the boy happy for him:)
    Same

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I liked him and I didn't understand why we let him go.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Testimonial Due
    Thought he looked a decent player, although surrounded by poor quality in a squad with zero morale. Not surprised he seems to be doing ok at a higher level.

Scottish football is rank. The standard is rank and this lad defo had the ability, shame he was surrounded by utter dros in our team and guys who'd just boot him in the other team.

Personally think he will do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Scottish football is rank. The standard is rank and this lad defo had the ability, shame he was surrounded by utter dros in our team and guys who'd just boot him in the other team.

Personally think he will do well.
    Sorry, don't get your logic.

If Scottish football was rank and he was so good he'd have done well up here.

In sure there's plenty arguments to show Scottish football might not be great but to say it's rank because good players can't succeed here doesn't make any sense imo.

If anything, watmore failing here shows its better than its given credit for.

Sorry, don't get your logic.

If Scottish football was rank and he was so good he'd have done well up here.

In sure there's plenty arguments to show Scottish football might not be great but to say it's rank because good players can't succeed here doesn't make any sense imo.

If anything, watmore failing here shows its better than its given credit for.
    My logic is based on him being booted about (Raith first game) he's playing at a higher level than us so I'm pretty sure he's more than good enough to play for Hibs.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    He came to us at a bad time. You could definitely tell there was a player in there, though.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

My logic is based on him being booted about (Raith first game) he's playing at a higher level than us so I'm pretty sure he's more than good enough to play for Hibs.
    He is now but the evidence suggests he wasn't good enough then.

Maybe getting kicked off the park against raith was all part of his learning curve.

One theory might be he came up here thinking Scottish football was rats, he had a few tough games he wasn't expecting which threw him and he didn't really fancy it.

Regardless, he wasn't that great for us, imo The state of Scottish football can't be blamed for that

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Good player with plenty potential, not well managed at Hibs I suspect and the clogfest that is Scottish football may well not have appealed to him or aided his progress.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

He is now but the evidence suggests he wasn't good enough then.

Maybe getting kicked off the park against raith was all part of his learning curve.

One theory might be he came up here thinking Scottish football was rats, he had a few tough games he wasn't expecting which threw him and he didn't really fancy it.

Regardless, he wasn't that great for us, imo The state of Scottish football can't be blamed for that
    It's a fair point there, but I'm still sticking to my point. 😁 Scottish Football is and will be rotten until major change happens. I watched some games at ER and honestly think to myself how some of these guys are pros. Not Hibs players (well not all) but mostly opposition.

Some utter ***** gets played most weeks, same with the Scottish Prem. id love to see some youth coming through who are exceptional but you never see it sadly!

Edit.. He was good enough back then but the tactics and players around him weren't.

It's a fair point there, but I'm still sticking to my point. 😁 Scottish Football is and will be rotten until major change happens. I watched some games at ER and honestly think to myself how some of these guys are pros. Not Hibs players (well not all) but mostly opposition.

Some utter ***** gets played most weeks, same with the Scottish Prem. id love to see some youth coming through who are exceptional but you never see it sadly!

Edit.. He was good enough back then but the tactics and players around him weren't.
    That's how I see this division, it's an awful standard and why I struggle to get too enthusiastic about any good Hibs players just now.

I do think the top division isn't that bad, folk are too quick to compare it to English football though.

That's how I see this division, it's an awful standard and why I struggle to get too enthusiastic about any good Hibs players just now.

I do think the top division isn't that bad, folk are too quick to compare it to English football though.
    I don't compare English football. I watch German, Itailian, Spanish and the quality compared to Scottish really is huge. You just have to look at how our teams done in Europe.

I'm like yourself when it comes to Hibs players, they aren't ever going to be very good because if they were they wouldn't be here. As long as we have better than the rest I'm happy enough.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post
    Good player with plenty potential, not well managed at Hibs I suspect and the clogfest that is Scottish football may well not have appealed to him or aided his progress.
    To be fair to the kid who was very young and raw when at Hibs he had played at Altricham where you would imagine he would be treated as badly or perhaps worse than he was in the Raith game. Got to be said i think MacLean reffed that game and didnt protect him as well as he should have along with overruling a correctly raised offside flag for a Raith goal.

As an aside I was down at Sunderland with my kids team last season and one of the Sunderland community coaches mentioned Duncan as a player to keep an eye on which I dont think I hid my surprise too well, "Really" and told him he wasnt hugely impressive when at Hibs but was very raw at the time and he was playing in a very poor team. Saw a bit of Duncan in the under 21 tournament in the summer and he has obviously come on alot as a player and also physically. Hope the kid does well.
    Last edited by JimBHibees; 26-08-2015 at 10:00 AM.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    To be fair to the kid who was very young and raw when at Hibs he had played at Altricham where you would imagine he would be treated as badly or perhaps worse than he was in the Raith game. Got to be said i think MacLean reffed that game and didnt protect him as well as he should have along with overruling a correctly raised offside flag for a Raith goal.
    Probably didn't fancy a serious injury having survived that and not convinced he'd have any motivation to work with butcher and mad Maurice either

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Pleased for the lad that he appears to have come on since he was at ER. He did get a bit of a kicking when he was here, but he was a wee bit unlucky in that regard, I highly doubt the Scottish leagues are any worse than most leagues, look at some of the challenges you see in the English leagues on the telly.

At times with us he didn't seem to know what he was going to do with the ball himself, I guess he has matured a bit since then.

Anyone who couldn't see or didn't think this lad had bags of ability are blind. He was battered senseless by opposing teams in the SPL who seemed to set up looking to injure him. He will be a success in the future.

Sometimes I am astounded by the revisionism on here...

The laddie played well for us in every game he played (and that was far less than it should have been). He didnt ask to have the **** kicked out him and that injured him. However, I recall sitting in the East Stand on more than one occassion and watching him battering down the wing or chasing hopeless balls.

UNLIKE, the fannies he was surrounded by on the pitch...some of whom were many years his senior and should have known better and given a ****.

I dont know where this Wattmore wasnt good enough for Hibs pish comes from I really dont. Source: My eyes, as seen sitting in the middle of the east for the entire season and watching lots of lazy, overpaid, underworked tubes and we all know where that took us.

As for his prosperity now, I am genuinely not surprised and (I rarely do as I dont give one when players leave us) wish the laddie well. He tried and grafted, got his legs booted every time and still kept coming back for more.

That said, Im sure he'll be giving a **** about what some revisionist thinkers up here believe he is worth...

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Martini View Post
    Sometimes I am astounded by the revisionism on here...

The laddie played well for us in every game he played (and that was far less than it should have been). He didnt ask to have the **** kicked out him and that injured him. However, I recall sitting in the East Stand on more than one occassion and watching him battering down the wing or chasing hopeless balls.

UNLIKE, the fannies he was surrounded by on the pitch...some of whom were many years his senior and should have known better and given a ****.

I dont know where this Wattmore wasnt good enough for Hibs pish comes from I really dont. Source: My eyes, as seen sitting in the middle of the east for the entire season and watching lots of lazy, overpaid, underworked tubes and we all know where that took us.

As for his prosperity now, I am genuinely not surprised and (I rarely do as I dont give one when players leave us) wish the laddie well. He tried and grafted, got his legs booted every time and still kept coming back for more.

That said, Im sure he'll be giving a **** about what some revisionist thinkers up here believe he is worth...

It's a fair point there, but I'm still sticking to my point.  Scottish Football is and will be rotten until major change happens. I watched some games at ER and honestly think to myself how some of these guys are pros. Not Hibs players (well not all) but mostly opposition.

Scotland has produced plenty good young players over the past few years. Unfortunately not many of them stick around at Hibs (or even Scotland).

Probably the best example: Ryan Gauld was a youth player who came through and is exceptional.

Too many too quick to stick the boot into Scottish football because SKY tell them the English Premier league is the best in the world. May not attract the same calibre of player as other countries, but we're not all that bad. The Dundee derby a couple of weeks back was still better viewing than any other match I've watched on TV this season.

It's not Scottish Football's fault if Duncan Watmore looked average at times. I've not seen anything of him, other than a scluffed first goal for Sunderland two weeks ago, to have an opinion on how good he is now.