hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure I agree with his assessment. I think there were some fairly competent individual performances; for me our tactics were to blame for such a dull game; that's down to him and his staff.
    I agree with this. Most worrying aspect is we have some very talented players yet are struggling big time against opponents ranging from poor to absolute *****.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Blog Entries
    To coin a phrase - the whole is vastly less than the sum of it's parts.

I really just don't know.

A lot of people are waxing lyrical about the players in our squad yet we dropped a hell of a lot of points last season, have dropped 6 points and been horsed out a cup already this season and huffed and puffed to unconvincing wins against 3 piss poor teams.

There has to be a problem somewhere and the insistence on playing the game at walking pace is certainly part of that and that must be coming from the manager. Stubbs has to change something about how we approach games against the lesser lights this season or he's going to find us well adrift from Rangers and himself under pressure in not time.

@hibs.net private member Godsahibby's Avatar
    A year in the job and still does not have the tactics in place to break down teams who sit in and when things are obviously not working a there is an unwillingness to change.

I don't believe we should be looking elsewhere, Stubbs is the man for the job. He is young and he does need to learn from his mistakes because more performances like that the fans will soon start to get on his back.

By the sound of it tonight was a good game to miss.

If Stubbs can evolve his tactics to include pace and width, then yes.

If he persists with trying to bore the opposition into submission with tippy-tappy tedium then I have my doubts.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

After tonites lacklustre display (not the first ive watched this seadon either) then im not sure he is. He doesnt seem to know how to or just doesnt want to change things during a game when things arent happening. May be stubbornness and hopefully not a lack of tactical nous, but it certainly makes it easy for opposition managers to set up against us

We need to change our style and be more direct.

We can't afford to score 1 goal and hang on - teams showed last season 1v0 usually isn't enough.

I really hope before the transfer window shuts he signs a left wide midfielder who can score some goals and another striker who has a presence to mix it up.

Last season it was a slow start with a squad not ready...

This season it's a pretty slow start and the excuse of injuries / time to gel..

We have no excuses this season and I fear unless we change our style - teams will do exactly what happened last season against us and take a few points off us here and there.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xoROOSKYox
    A lot of clowns on here. Most fickle fan base in the world. After all the hard work in the past years to get fans back to Easter road and get the fans loving the club again, people are doubting after 5 games this season. Pitiful, just pitiful...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still think Stubbs will get us there, It was always going to be a hard game tonight, couldn't make this one but didn,t come across as a rip roaring success. Keatings fist 10 minute spell and feel he will be a good partnership with with Cummings and need Farid backs soon. Heard Malonga wants away as another club is interested and feel Stubbs has ran out of patience with him.
    Not even seen the team for tonight but sure once our new players are more settled in we will move forward. Didn't think there was anything wrong with Stubbs tactics at Ibrox and basically we should have won.
    The cups the cup how many times Have I seen the hibs put out by teams like this the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by FromTheCapital View Post
    A lot of clowns on here. Most fickle fan base in the world. After all the hard work in the past years to get fans back to Easter road and get the fans loving the club again, people are doubting after 5 games this season. Pitiful, just pitiful...

Some of us never stopped loving the club and didn't need to be enticed back because we never left and yes I'm having doubts. If that makes me a clown so be it.

I'd say ignoring the evidence before my eyes and pretending we are a brilliant team ready to mount a serious challenge for the title would make me more of a clown but there you go.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Some of us never stopped loving the club and didn't need to be enticed back because we never left and yes I'm having doubts. If that makes me a clown so be it.

I'd say ignoring the evidence before my eyes and pretending we are a brilliant team ready to mount a serious challenge for the title would make me more of a clown but there you go.
    We're a striker away from being title contenders. Anyone with a pair of eyes on Sunday would have seen that.

Sorry you're wrong - this doubting thread was started after 4 games.

I have a real phobia of clowns can you PM me who they are 😳

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    I'm not suggesting for a second we should get rid of him but alarm bells are ringing for me.
    Tonight was really worrying for me. The balance of the team was all wrong from the start with four central midfielders and width only provided by full backs. No disrespect to McGregor or Stevenson but they are hardly players who will cause fear in opposition defenses. We then had Boyle who is a wide player playing as an ineffective striker, he doesn't have the guile, touch or awareness to play up front. Our play is laboured and slow in midfield allowing teams to get behind the ball all too easily. Eventually we have to play it wide but normally to the full backs where it all just grinds to a halt. First touch forward where possible should be the instruction to our midfield whereas we are happy to turn back all too often. We were toothless as a team and created very few real chances. Also worrying is our fitness level, how can part time Stranraer finish stronger than us? It's early days for this season but for me the manager hasn't learned a great deal from last term.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    First time I've begun to doubt Stubbs tonight.

Had the wrong tactics in the first half, nothing worked. The same team and set up appeared after second half.

It's either stubbornness or total tactical ineptitude"
    The last line is the worry. Stubbs has built his own team and I suspect the money involved in signing the guys he's brought would suggest he's been backed to the hilt by the board?

What worries me is that he's not getting the best out of what would seem to be a pretty talented squad. Hindsight is a great thing, but I question getting rid of Booth and leaving us without competition for Stevenson. Wide left has still not been addressed! Too many central midfielders and not enough width. It was screaming out last season, we had no plan B and it's still the case.

It is asking a lot of a rookie manager and maybe that is the key. Stubbs needs to get the tactics right, however, I can't help thinking we've shot our bolt. The window is closing and we lack in key areas. Is there anything left to spend . Probably not and if that's the case then we make do. Unfortunately, that is the managers responsibility and if we don't achieve the target, Stubbs will pay the price

We're a striker away from being title contenders. Anyone with a pair of eyes on Sunday would have seen that.

Playing well against teams who actually had attacking intent wasn't a problem last season and probably won't be this season either.

It's the other 32 games this season where we play teams that have no intention to do anything other than sit with 10 men behind the ball that will be the problem, exactly as it was last season. It's not a striker we lack. It's drive, tempo, creativity and cutting edge.

We played a team tonight who have started this season with 2 defeats in League 1 including a 4-0 pumping from Peterhead and I don't even need one hand to count how many chances we created. If people are happy seeing the ball passed to death at walking pace 60 yards from goal then good for them but it's a problem that cost us last season and has already cost us this season and will continue to do so.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by E10 Rifle View Post
    Sorry you're wrong - this doubting thread was started after 4 games.
    Scary stuff!

@hibs.net private member I'm_cabbaged's Avatar
    In one word, no

Gamer IDs

Playing well against teams who actually had attacking intent wasn't a problem last season and probably won't be this season either.

It's the other 32 games this season where we play teams that have no intention to do anything other than sit with 10 men behind the ball that will be the problem, exactly as it was last season. It's not a striker we lack. It's drive, tempo, creativity and cutting edge.

We played a team tonight who have started this season with 2 defeats in League 1 including a 4-0 pumping from Peterhead and I don't even need one hand to count how many chances we created. If people are happy seeing the ball passed to death at walking pace 60 yards from goal then good for them but it's a problem that cost us last season and has already cost us this season and will continue to do so.
    To be fair, I understand the frustration from some fans but again, tonight we had 20 odd shots on goal, 14 on target and scored 1 goal. Now for me, that's been our biggest downfall. If we get in a striker who scores more chances than he misses then we'll be laughing. Look at the game from Sunday and some of the chances we missed. If we had taken our chances then we'd be sitting here praising Stubbs after thumping them at Ibrox but in football, if you don't score, you don't win and that's where the problem is just now, in my opinion and I think Stubbs knows that and will rectify that before the window shuts on Tuesday.

Spot on mate, we have strikers who can score goals but our lack of drive, pace, strength and ability to beat a man from the midfield and wide areas means far too few chances in games where teams sit back.

This is the answer

We can play well against attacking teams - if we were in top league I actually think we would be ok.

However like last season it's teams that park the bus - sit in.

We must have a PLAN A - PLAN B and PLAN C to break them down - Shots from distance / dribble past players / long balls - passing like Barca without Messi and co doesn't work for us as we don't have the players to wear teams dow consistently.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
    This is the answer

We can play well against attacking teams - if we were in top league I actually think we would be ok.

However like last season it's teams that park the bus - sit in.

We must have a PLAN A - PLAN B and PLAN C to break them down - Shots from distance / dribble past players / long balls - passing like Barca without Messi and co doesn't work for us as we don't have the players to wear teams dow consistently.
    The problem is we don't pass the ball like Barcelona, or a very much watered down variant.

They pass the ball quickly and move it all over the place drawing teams out to them then have the pace and guile to get in behind when they achieve that. When they lose the ball they hunt in packs to get it back and can move the ball 50 or 60 yards in 3 passes and a few seconds.

We pass the balls across the back line 4 or 5 times then end up floating an aimless chip towards the strikers as we run out of options and still have a wall of opposition players in front of us.

@hibs.net private member
    We have too many similar players in McGinn, Fyvie and McGeough. They all play pretty little passes that go nowhere. We still lack pace and don't have a decent striker. I just don't think we are good enough to challenge for the league

@hibs.net private member
    I personally think AS mentality is for EPL football and definitely not our game. Our balance tonight was shocking, we looked slow all over the park and when we played the game faster we scored all be it from an OG ( though I believe we would have scored that if defender never ).

Stranraer finished the game stronger and looked hungrier and at home with one striker on against Stranraer ( no disrespect to them ) but it's not what I want to watch. Oxley's time wasting at the end was in my opinion where we are, scared to loose a goal because we can't score 2 or 3 in a game and kill a team off.
    So my summery is AS can pick a player and the board as far as we know have backed him well, but and I'm not being negative just honest in my opinion someone needs to give AS lessons on tactical awareness and how to change a formation if needed .
    One last thought we had yogi with three strikers up front and AS with one, I know for tonight's game which I would have preferred.

GGTTH

The problem is we don't pass the ball like Barcelona, or a very much watered down variant.

They pass the ball quickly and move it all over the place drawing teams out to them then have the pace and guile to get in behind when they achieve that. When they lose the ball they hunt in packs to get it back and can move the ball 50 or 60 yards in 3 passes and a few seconds.

We pass the balls across the back line 4 or 5 times then end up floating an aimless chip towards the strikers as we run out of options and still have a wall of opposition players in front of us.
    That's true - maybe not a good comparison.

Like Malmo last night they press really well - something I wish we would do more - lack of fitness?

Our slow build up - means teams get back and organised and waste little effort as we are so slow on the ball.

Coaching Staff
    We need to get Malonga back in. Around the semi final period last year we learned surely that we play better with him. Get Malonga and Keatings in and give them a few games.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    We need to get Malonga back in. Around the semi final period last year we learned surely that we play better with him. Get Malonga and Keatings in and give them a few games.
    You'd drop Jason? I think he is our main goal threat looks lively as well.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    You'd drop Jason? I think he is our main goal threat looks lively as well.
    I would just now, yes. I just don't really get it with him. As a team I think we need something else. We are struggling to score against some pretty poor teams.

I'd play Malonga and I don't think him and Cummings work as a pair.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    I would just now, yes. I just don't really get it with him. As a team I think we need something else. We are struggling to score against some pretty poor teams.

if I needed a current Hibs player to score to save my life. I'd choose Jason every time...He will end up our top scorer this season. i wouldn't drop him

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    if I needed a current Hibs player to score to save my life. I'd choose Jason every time...He will end up our top scorer this season. i wouldn't drop him
    He might but maybe at the expense of the team getting more goals generally. He scored plenty last year but we weren't convincing as an attacking team.