hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He has my backing but juries out imo.
    Same for me. He's obviously a great man-manager. The rest is still to be seen.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Iainhfc PSN ID: Iainhfc
    Of course. Excellent manager

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    He has my backing but juries out imo.
    This.

With the squad we've got we should be destroying teams in this league.

I know it's only the start of the season but so far, it looks like we are making the same mistakes as last season.

To support that, i know we've played 433 so far but it looks like he's stocking our squad to go with the diamond again.

We've only got 3 players that can play wide and after binning Harris, he's actively trying to shift Stanton meaning that it'll drop us down to 2. Hearts wingers enabled them to romp this league last year. Playing with the diamond is alot easier to defend against as opponents only really need to defend the width of the box.

The other thing that concerns me is Stubbs always seems to take an age to make a sub. The Henderson situation on Sunday was ridiculous. He was blowing out his hole from about 55 mins leaving us 1 short in midfield for most of the second half and he decides to sub him in the 88th minute.

@hibs.net private member Arch Stanton's Avatar
    And who exactly was the better option that would have safely overcome rangers to win the league at a canter? The underlying assumption of this thread is that such a person exists after all - Stubbs was 'riskier' than who exactly?

And of course this safe manager would have recruited prolific goal scorers, lightning fast wingers, a creative yet resolute midfield and of course a rock solid defence - yes, I suppose that does make sense.

I think Stubbs is the man but with any rookie manager he makes mistakes in either tactics, personnel etc, what we need is for Stubbs to learn as quickly as possible from his mistakes.

My biggest worry with Stubbs is his insistence with young players with potential, this in itself is good that we have a manager looking towards the future but we're still missing that wee bit of experience especially in the midfield, McGinn, Henderson, Stanton, Handling and even McGeouch are all fairly young aged between 19-22 years. You could say Bartley is that experienced guy but even I was surprised he didn't play on sunday, the holding midfielder to allow attacking players the freedom.

Getting the out of contract guys signed was good but the farce of the injuries and the squad looking like they were not ready prep wise is a concern, also the delay to get any form of cover for the back 4 raises a few questions on his management.

For me the jury is still out, my glass is half full and not half empty.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Wiid
    I'm trying boys. must try harder.

I hope he stays for a very long time I like the football we play a destined for bigger things!!nd I can't believe that anyone would consider getting rid. You have to remember the mess we were in at the start of last season and the quality of players he has brought to the club! I'm not saying for a minute that everything in the gardens rosie but when you consider the limited funds available to him you have to wonder what he could achieve with bags of cash to spend. Mark my words, the day will come when we as Hibs fans will be sorry to see him leave because Stubbs is going places, he is destined for bigger things!!

Left by mutual consent! AL-Qaholik's Avatar
    Good football. Decent recruitment policy. Mediocre results. I have faith but it's dwindling a bit...

Alan Stubbs is the real deal in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHrL...zRVByg&index=3

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    I almost hate myself for posting this but was discussed by 6 hibs fans at the weekend my self included all of us over 50 so we go back a lot of managers . I was surprised that 4 out of the 6 thought that the risky appointment is proving just that.
    Not a witch hunt , goals aside I dont think we are far away, but interested in what others think.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    I think he is the right man for the job, but then i am only 45 and not over 50. Maybe those extra years will make me lose my brain. Though i doubt it.

@hibs.net private member
    Stubbs is the best we can get, he was no 2 for long enough in the premiership, could have remained no 2 but wanted to be his own boss, his signings and the way he has the team playing speaks for itself IMO, I think the players buy into his footballing philosophy, remember when we thought we had a proven spl manager in Butcher, that's what can happen, and who else could we attract in the championship? in Stubbs I trust!

If only he would stop playing so many defenders at home against teams who are sitting in. Against Morton we had Gray Hanlon Fonts Stevenson plus defensive mid Bartley. Absolutely no need. Lets have two up front and wingers out wide in a 352 at home.....starting tonight please.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooster View Post
    If only he would stop playing so many defenders at home against teams who are sitting in. Against Morton we had Gray Hanlon Fonts Stevenson plus defensive mid Bartley. Absolutely no need. Lets have two up front and wingers out wide in a 352 at home.....starting tonight please.

This, I said on the team thread that 3 defenders should cope with 1 striker and an attacking midfielder, lets attack these teams and start to dominate them.

I think this thread is more interesting than some are giving it credit for. We could just consider the facts and one fact is he didn't get us promotion last season. If you stop at that then you'd conclude that he wasn't the right man. You could look deeper in to the situation and also for any impression of improvement. I think we all get some impression of improvement and therefore probably conclude that we could possibly go one better than last season. I prefer gut instinct, which can change as time goes on but so can statistics. My gut instinct is that we will win promotion this season, perhaps as champions and perhaps not but my instinct is we will win promotion. Do I attribute all of the factors that could lead to our promotion to the manager? No I don't but the question is can he win us promotion and that implies considering the teams around us and those who might finish at the bottom of the SPL.

Quote Originally Posted by ahibby View Post
    I think this thread is more interesting than some are giving it credit for. We could just consider the facts and one fact is he didn't get us promotion last season. If you stop at that then you'd conclude that he wasn't the right man. You could look deeper in to the situation and also for any impression of improvement. I think we all get some impression of improvement and therefore probably conclude that we could possibly go one better than last season. I prefer gut instinct, which can change as time goes on but so can statistics. My gut instinct is that we will win promotion this season, perhaps as champions and perhaps not but my instinct is we will win promotion. Do I attribute all of the factors that could lead to our promotion to the manager? No I don't but the question is can he win us promotion and that implies considering the teams around us and those who might finish at the bottom of the SPL.
    Ultimately he will be judged based on whether or not he gets promotion.

But you have to acknowledge that it has been a daily unprecedented few years for Scotland's second tier.

(With the benefit of hindsight) to expect him to inherit Butcher's omnishambles and finish above Hearts' well-prepared outfit last season would have been beyond unrealistic. He improved all aspects of our team in a short space of time, apart from our ability to create and take clear-cut chances and kill teams off in the final third. This was ultimately our undoing in the semi-final and in the play-off. So in spite of the poor start last year, he didn't miss by much.

This year, unfortunately, it looks like Rangers have got their act together and will take a bit of beating. I still hold out hope that we can challenge and finish above them but even if we don't we may still do it via the playoffs. It's a bit of a lottery but still possible.

When you set your standards and aim high (as I think Hibs, Dempster and Stubbs himself have) yet fall slightly short then ultimately it still has to be classed as a failure. But that doesn't necessarily tell the whole story.

If we went up this year via the play-offs and held onto our current squad then I'd be confident we'd be able to at least hold our own in the Premier League next year. On paper, failing to win the league at either attempt might appear to be a failure but I'd say that that would actually be a successful outcome.

Would this thread actually be here if Cummings had scored one of his many chances and if rangers hadnt been awarded a non-free kick then managed to convert with perfect precision accuracy?

I dont think so.

Most of the "issues" folk have with Stubbs are being magnified because of this start to the season. We went from having a good chunk of our team out (including our "best" player turning up for half the match) and getting slapped heavily to losing by one goal to the closest rivals we have in the space of weeks....

If we are failing to turn over teams consistently between now and Christmas, then questions need asked.

Not now, particularly in the manner by which we lost to rangers. It doth not compute....

Yes. He has an eye for a player and has made some great signings where as managers in the past have brought in un-heard of journey men.

Theres no doubt that he still has a lot to learn but hes still young for a manager and is new to the role but I think he is the right man.

Quote Originally Posted by 147lothian View Post
    Stubbs is the best we can get, he was no 2 for long enough in the premiership, could have remained no 2 but wanted to be his own boss, his signings and the way he has the team playing speaks for itself IMO, I think the players buy into his footballing philosophy, remember when we thought we had a proven spl manager in Butcher, that's what can happen, and who else could we attract in the championship? in Stubbs I trust!
    I'm not disagreeing with the majority of your post but Stubbs was a youth coach at Everton, not assistant manager.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: calhill19
    We have a manager in his first managerial role, we have to expect some mistakes. However I have been really impressed with how quickly he has stepped up to it.

I fully believe he will get us back to where we should be, so yes he is the correct manager.

I can't see anyone else better than Alan at the moment.

If we're bottom at Xmas I suppose Yogi Hughes might fancy another shot. He may be joining us in the Championship next year anyway!

alan is the man

It is all to easy to find fault and no one is perfect, but L.D and board appointed him and while it is a concern he is a managerial novice who has made some errors..who hasn't? He is I believe a sincere man who will give 100% and seems to me at least while perhaps taking a little longer than I had personally hoped to sort it all out he has indeed a good overview of what is wrong with the team and how to correct it..no -one could do better at this time..He cannot be expected to turn around YEARS of underfunding of the team in one season, but he clearly said last time around we will not be going through this play off carry on again .if at all possible ,that perhaps was a result of the tension last season and our failure to gain promotion.He will be very aware of our stuttering start and also trying to stay positive with his press releases etc ,while at the same time improving the team as best he can..He has my full vote and backing ,but like so many of us we wish it would all happen sooner rather than later....the turmoil in the Butcher period has left that feeling .
    Once we actually start putting the ball in the net against the best then we will know we are on the way back fast.If the team show the same belief as Alan then we will have little to worry about.

Playing devils advocate here but what happend IF we don't win promotion or at the very least, make the playoff final?

@hibs.net private member

Is Alan Stubbs the right man to get Hibs up?

Quote Originally Posted by DH1875 View Post
    Playing devils advocate here but what happend IF we don't win promotion or at the very least, make the playoff final?
    If both of these things happened , I guess he would have to go.

If however we run Rangers close but narrowly Miss out on automatic promotion , and lose despite putting in a good final performance - I'd give him another year.

No he's not. Cleary hasn't learned anything from last season and could be argued weve went backwards since then. Four centre mids didn't work then and it doesn't work now. Sorry to say but were garbage and that's not just based on tonight

If we don't get up this year then I'm afraid he's failed and I'd like us to try something new. However, I believe he will get us up - probably via playoff.

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

Wii Code: Wiid
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    No he's not. Cleary hasn't learned anything from last season and could be argued weve went backwards since then. Four centre mids didn't work then and it doesn't work now. Sorry to say but were garbage and that's not just based on tonight
    It`s not the ideal result - far from it - but the players are under no illusions what I expect. There were too many who were not at it today.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    I'm not suggesting for a second we should get rid of him but alarm bells are ringing for me.

@hibs.net private member NorthNorfolkHFC's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: walton83
    First time I've begun to doubt Stubbs tonight.

Had the wrong tactics in the first half, nothing worked. The same team and set up appeared after second half.

It's either stubbornness or total tactical ineptitude.

Regardless of injury problems it seems the team is totally demotivated, Stubbs seems unable to get them fired up.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"
    "Putting a damp spoon back in the bowl is the tea-drinking equivalent of sharing a needle!"

Quote Originally Posted by ScapeGoat View Post
    It`s not the ideal result - far from it - but the players are under no illusions what I expect. There were too many who were not at it today.
    Not sure I agree with his assessment. I think there were some fairly competent individual performances; for me our tactics were to blame for such a dull game; that's down to him and his staff.

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNorfolkHFC View Post
    First time I've begun to doubt Stubbs tonight.

Had the wrong tactics in the first half, nothing worked. The same team and set up appeared after second half.

It's either stubbornness or total tactical ineptitude.

Regardless of injury problems it seems the team is totally demotivated, Stubbs seems unable to get them fired up.

"A friend of mine once said he liked his women like his parmesan: strong smelling and shaved"
    I agree with this.

It is dreadful at times.
    Really