hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    100% backing from me. Even if we don't go up this year our club is getting stronger and will do well to hold on to our management team for a number of years.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is that the only photo of the 'Free the Nipple' protestors without a nipple in it?
    There's a few totally topless blokes ones going aboutif that floats your boat

He has my backing but juries out imo.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Without a huge amount of cash like rangers i reckon most managers would be in the same predicament. ...we will pick up but i reckon we will be here another season

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Remind me just who was the last "safe pair of hands" appointment?

It was supposed to be TB? And before him Blobby? Even with the dosh McLeish petered away... Maybe it was Yogi with his fourth place?

See, when it comes to Hibs nothing is simple.

Alan's the man for me for now happy to have him on board but even he's learning his trade.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

cabt believe this is being questioned. 100% yes.

Yes

Ask me again at the end of May.

Coaching Staff
    It's not unwelcome, quite the opposite, but interesting that we've gone from criticising managers for cup final and European results or not getting higher into the top six to backing a manager who has been losing at the likes of Dumbarton and Alloa and shipping six goals at home to Rangers.

I like him a lot but we have to see much better this year surely?

Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post

That poor wee lassie's fell look, hud tae get a couple o plasters.
    Your edit is the funniest thing about this post

Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    It's not unwelcome, quite the opposite, but interesting that we've gone from criticising managers for cup final and European results or not getting higher into the top six to backing a manager who has been losing at the likes of Dumbarton and Alloa and shipping six goals at home to Rangers.

I like him a lot but we have to see much better this year surely?
    Not much better-surely just one place higher?

Yes. He'll get us up.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    First manager I've had confidence in for a while. He inherited a shambles and has played a big role in turning things around.

We've had a shaky start, due to injuries and a certain destabilising influence, but onward from here. This team WILL improve.

Is Stubbs the man to get us up? I'd say Yes although it might take longer than we'd normally expect a Hibs manager to take, unprecedented times in the Championship with ourselves Hearts and Sevco all in it, I do think we would have beaten Motherwell in the Play-Off's a few months ago.

Stubbs will take us up, if not this Season then definitely next.

Never has a Hibs manager had to inherit such a shambles as we were and then been faced with the perfect storm that was last years Championship. As far as I can see AS has done as good a job as any other manager a club in our position could have hoped to attract in the same situation.

He does do the odd thing I don't agree with ............... Our poor choice of opposition in pre season being one. On Sunday I would have taken a chance on young Dunsmore when Gray got injured and hooked Carmichael for McGough further forward.

But I am sure Stubbs will come good ..... Of course, as back up I'm still hoping that football legends Regan and Doncaster will help us out

Definitely the man to take us forward, his inexperience shows at times where he makes the wrong subs or sets the team up with the wrong tactics but we seen it click last season when we went on our run, hopefully more of that this season

Yes.
    Mature, sensible signature required for responsible position. Good prospects for the right candidate. Apply within.

@hibs.net private member
    Jury is still out! He makes some strange decisions when trying to change a game IMO. I keep hearing about how much of a shambles he inherited etc etc, but other teams have been in worse positions and turned things around in one season. My issue is that he doesn't seem to be able to get the best out the players or team consistently.

Everything seems to to be a bit of a struggle, if we want promotion then we need to be dominating most of our games start to finish and putting games out of sight. Last season and what I have seen this season is that we are still struggling to do that.

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Green View Post
    We wont know the answer to that question until the end of the season. Up until that point we need to back the team and give him the benefit of any of our doubts. I for one am a little worried by a couple of things, but will continue to support him , the team , and the club ...
    My thoughts also. Will keep the faith and keep supporting him, LD and the club.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    Im seriously in shock over this thread; The Gaffer has gotten us to a scottish cup semi final last year and 2nd in the league. This season and last we have been up against ... physically powerful teams and to make it worse this season a team with a massive budget that will decimate all. If this was any other two championship seasons we would have went up both times as champions.

Allan fixed a shocking situation last year and brought the feel good factor back to easter road, giving time this season he will do it again (Bear in mind; boyle, carmichael, keatings, McGinn his signings for the new season are injured or short of full match fitness due to injury's in the preseason).

Quote Originally Posted by yekimevol View Post
    Im seriously in shock over this thread; The Gaffer has gotten us to a scottish cup semi final last year and 2nd in the league. This season and last we have been up against ... physically powerful teams and to make it worse this season a team with a massive budget that will decimate all. If this was any other two championship seasons we would have went up both times as champions.

Allan fixed a shocking situation last year and brought the feel good factor back to easter road, giving time this season he will do it again (Bear in mind; boyle, carmichael, keatings, McGinn his signings for the new season are injured or short of full match fitness due to injury's in the preseason).
    Not disagreeing with most of this but reaching the cup semi last year was no achievement given the easy draw we got and I`d say the semi defeat was one that certainly got people questioning at least Stubbs as manager even if we were unlucky to lose .

Quote Originally Posted by jacomoseven View Post
    First manager I've had confidence in for a while. He inherited a shambles and has played a big role in turning things around.

We've had a shaky start, due to injuries and a certain destabilising influence, but onward from here. This team WILL improve.
    I think this is still relevant to a small degree, but a year on we should have cleared the cobwebs.
    Given that Rangers are far improved from last year, my benchmarks for assessing the season;

We should be strong enough for 2nd at least. If Rangers do a Hearts and storm it, Id be surprised if we could match that.
    We should be good enough to win both play off matches - but of course you can play well and lose.
    If we finish 3rd or worse, or blow it in the play offs, then its not meeting expectations.

Im pretty sure that Alan Stubbs understands what our weakness are (taking chances, defensive lapses). We have an improving squad, I think we will go up this time round, and Alan will enter the SPL on a bit of high, hopefully slightly better gates/money etc..

Folk like Scott Alan need identified early, and punted (in the nicest possible way for cash if possible), in order to keep the squad tight and willing to go the extra mile for each other.

Stubbs is still learning, but Im 100% behind the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter1 View Post
    I think this is still relevant to a small degree, but a year on we should have cleared the cobwebs.
    Given that Rangers are far improved from last year, my benchmarks for assessing the season;

We should be strong enough for 2nd at least. If Rangers do a Hearts and storm it, Id be surprised if we could match that.
    We should be good enough to win both play off matches - but of course you can play well and lose.
    If we finish 3rd or worse, or blow it in the play offs, then its not meeting expectations.

Im pretty sure that Alan Stubbs understands what our weakness are (taking chances, defensive lapses). We have an improving squad, I think we will go up this time round, and Alan will enter the SPL on a bit of high, hopefully slightly better gates/money etc..

Folk like Scott Alan need identified early, and punted (in the nicest possible way for cash if possible), in order to keep the squad tight and willing to go the extra mile for each other.

Stubbs is still learning, but Im 100% behind the guy.
    You state we should be good enough to win both play off matches But what we don't know at the end of a tiring season is ,who will be suspended,who will be injured ,and if we finish the season like we started it ,injury wise ,that would hamper our chances and which players are tired eg like Stevenson was last season but we had no cover due to injuries .
    So these unknown factors mean it can still be a bit of a lottery come the final two games
    So the players we bring in before the window slams shut need to be capable of playing in the first team and making an impact as they may be needed at the Business End of the Season .

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by yekimevol View Post

Tin hat on, but citing cup semi final given who we played and subsequently got beat by, ain't much of an argument.

We still don't win enough winnable games. Giving sevco a six point start is making things hard for ourselves. Winning through four or six play off games is a big ask.

Stubbs? I'm like many of you, I want to believe.

Sent from my iPhone, apologies for the random capital letters and autowrongs

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    You state we should be good enough to win both play off matches But what we don't know at the end of a tiring season is ,who will be suspended,who will be injured ,and if we finish the season like we started it ,injury wise ,that would hamper our chances and which players are tired eg like Stevenson was last season but we had no cover due to injuries .
    So these unknown factors mean it can still be a bit of a lottery come the final two games
    So the players we bring in before the window slams shut need to be capable of playing in the first team and making an impact as they may be needed at the Business End of the Season .
    I agree with what you are saying. All I mean is that I believe that Stubbs will have a team/squad that is better than Falkirk, QOS, St Mirren/2nd bottom SPL team. I agree that all kinds of things can go wrong in the playoffs, I just believe that Stubbs has got us good enough to be considered as favourites to win by this route. Unfortunately, unless Rangers have some sticky patches, Im not convinced we will win the league. But I wouldn't call Stubbs a failed manager should this end up being the case.

He still has my backing but I am starting to ask a few questions.

He inherited a total shambles and did a great job to get us turned round and moving in the right direction again so quickly. His signings have been of a high standard and his decisions relating to who joins and who leaves have been generally excellent.

The "Scott Allan saga" really wasn't a situation of his making and he dealt with it as well as could ever have been expected.

I get frustrated that we never seem ready for the start of a season. The 3 points you get for winning the first game are worth as much as those if you win the last game and by not being prepared for the start of the season we've handed Rangers a massive psychological boost. They're going about creating a "fear factor" that based on Sunday's performance they really don't deserve - I don't see any reason why we couldn't/ shouldn't have been doing the same.

I get an air of complacency about him. It's fine to have confidence but I just think that at too many critical points this season we'll find ourselves bemoaning the fact that we missed chances and deserved to get more from games, whereas I tend to think you get what you deserve from games where you don't take your chances.

Hope I'm wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple & Green View Post
    We still don't win enough winnable games. Giving sevco a six point start is making things hard for ourselves. Winning through four or six play off games is a big ask.

Stubbs? I'm like many of you, I want to believe.

Sent from my iPhone, apologies for the random capital letters and autowrongs
    You're first point is 100% correct and indisputable, I'm not sure it's a Stubbs trait though, it is definitely a Hibs trait, we don't win anywhere near enough winnable games and we certainly don't win anywhere newr enough winnable big games

Difficult to say. He failed in his first season, the reasons put forward were the slow start, team not yet built, unfit players, inherited shambles ... etc. He wanted to put that right so that this season we get off to a good start - he's failed to do that comprehensively.
    It's too early to say we won't win the title or make it through the play-offs, but nothing about his team currently convinces me that they can do either. It could yet all come good though ...