hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar

The new Libertines album

Terrible. Don't hold out hope for it I'm afraid to say.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Haven't been holding out a lot of hope for it tbh. Gunga din has flashes of their heyday but as sickboy would say deep down you know it's just ***** . 12 years of heavy drug abuse doesn't often improve artistic output really though I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Terrible. Don't hold out hope for it I'm afraid to say.
    Based on what exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Based on what exactly?
    I used to write for a few music websites and magazines, I still have some contacts and from the bits I've heard and the other bits they've heard we've all said the same thing - badly under-written and over-polished.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Looks like your fears were unfounded here as the album is terrific IMO.

Certainly not over produced and overall sits comfortably with the first 2 albums. I think Anthem for Doomed Youth and this iteration of You're My Waterloo are as good as anything they've ever done. Pete has never sounded better. Few weak tracks but not many albums don't have. Great to hear the old Legs 11 tracks on the bonus disc too.

Much better than we could've reasonably hoped for IMO and the near universal positive reviews seem to agree

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    Looks like your fears were unfounded here as the album is terrific IMO.

Certainly not over produced and overall sits comfortably with the first 2 albums. I think Anthem for Doomed Youth and this iteration of You're My Waterloo are as good as anything they've ever done. Pete has never sounded better. Few weak tracks but not many albums don't have. Great to hear the old Legs 11 tracks on the bonus disc too.

Much better than we could've reasonably hoped for IMO and the near universal positive reviews seem to agree
    Have to disagree on this one, thought it was the moment where the Libs become 'just another band'.

would say its a steady 6-7/10. far from excellent but definately not terrible. have listened a couple times and will probably have it on another couple before im bored of it.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    would say its a steady 6-7/10. far from excellent but definately not terrible. have listened a couple times and will probably have it on another couple before im bored of it.
    Really? 4 times before you're bored but it gets 7/10? Wow.
    Don't think I'd give an album that high a rating if I thought I'd be bored of it 2 listens later.
    Last edited by Mr White; 20-09-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Really? 4 times before you're bored but it gets 7/10? Wow.
    Don't think I'd give an album that high a rating if I thought I'd be bored of it 2 listens later.
    If i was buying physical copies and had a limited choice It'd get more listens. At a tenner a month to spotify with constant new releases, old stuff that's passed me by and artists to discover that are thrown up through the discovery feature, things are that easy accesible they have to be better than this libertines album to make me return to them months/years after their release.
    Last edited by adhibs; 20-09-2015 at 08:08 PM.

If i was buying physical copies and had a limited choice It'd get more listens. At a tenner a month to spotify with constant new releases, old stuff that's passed me by and artists to discover that are thrown up through the discovery feature, things are that easy accesible they have to be better than this libertines album to make me return to them months/years after their release.
    Yeah I subscribe to spotify too. I usually listen to music for about 6 hours a day so if an album bores me after 4 listens that means I think it's *****.

Each to their own likes, i've not listened to this one yet
    Last edited by Mr White; 20-09-2015 at 08:47 PM.

I'm sure your approach is pretty common these days but I don't think I'd ever get into any band if I judged an album so quickly. Some of the stuff I love now took a while to take hold, you know?

I need to have the physical copy too, whether it's the CD or vinyl.

Anyway I suppose the measure of this album is whether people think it's worthy of mention with the first 2, 5-10 years later. I'm probably guilty of biase as I'm blitzing it on a daily basis.

Gave it a couple of listens today. Better than I expected actually. Could be a grower. The Milkman's Horse is a good track.
    Last edited by Mr White; 21-09-2015 at 05:09 PM.

After a few listens so far, I think it is excellent.
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull