hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 47 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we'll see younger voters ignore the mainstream media and will use social media and other platforms to bypass the media on this one; Corbyn is more to the left than any other party represented in Westminster and will win back a lot of voters lost during the years of Blairism and guess what? They have a distrust of the media and will see through it. We're back to a fair more straightforward battle of left vs right.
    Interesting to see if Corbynism will pull the debate (and to some degree policy) to the left or simply polarise.

Personally I don't see him lasting very long but stranger things have happened I suppose!

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Your last paragraph is key for me. Whilst I'm sceptical of Corbyns appeal to large swathes of the electorate anyway, the media will kill him and it will be nigh on impossible for him to get his message across.

I alluded to that earlier. Menzies Campbell was hounded by the media for the crime of being elderly, Corbyn is a far bigger threat and more of. a curios than that and will be undermined and slaughtered at almost every turn.

Incidentally the most positive comment piece I have seen on Corbyn thus far appeared in the Daily Mail. Link below:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-3232255/And-finally-best-thing-Attlee.html
    Now will be a true test of Scocial Media. It made major inroads during the Yes campaign in fighting off a hostile "old" media. This will be the same on steroids.

As usual the Daily Mash gets it spot on.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/man-who-just-got-elected-definitely-unelectable-20150914101940

J

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post
    He's currently got some mo, however let's see what occurs when he hits the buffers on Trident, which he will.
    His refusal to rule out campaigning to leave the EU is the bigger problem. It's the one area he seems less than willing to give straight answers on.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

@hibs.net private member PeeJay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    I think we'll see younger voters ignore the mainstream media and will use social media and other platforms to bypass the media on this one; Corbyn is more to the left than any other party represented in Westminster and will win back a lot of voters lost during the years of Blairism and guess what? a) They have a distrust of the media and will see through it.

b) We're back to a fair more straightforward battle of left vs right.
    a) Maybe those on social-media simply fail to understand that criticism of political stances does not necessarily mean a particular media form is biased one way or the other, just because it doesn't agree with what you perhaps think/believe? Negative opinions on Corbyn can also be found in media outside the UK, as is the case here in Germany. Is this evidence of a pan-European conspiracy perhaps? Or maybe just seasoned journalists expressing reasonable concerns? Why do people seem to assume that anybody posting on an SM blog/site is full of well-balanced, informative and unbiased opinion with only the interests of truth at heart and everybody else is at it?

b) Reducing the battleground to a "fair" left or right as you do does not auger well for us in the centre I fear, nor for the country as a whole ... Seems to me that Labour has not learned the lessons of the 80s where the out-and-out, left-wing, ideological stance of the Party, coupled with the out-of-control trades union saw the Tories - and ultimately the electorate - shift away from the political centre to the right wing, a move that brought the country Thatcherism and all its consequences along with a dead-in-the-water Labour movement. A party only revived many, many years later by - ultimately - Blair and co from the centre ... is this the road Labour really wants to stumble down again? Swings to the far left or right are counterproductive - can Corbyn unify the whole country? Can't see it myself ...

"Alistair Darling urges Scottish Labour not to move to the left" - BBC website

Be a darling, Darling and just p.o.
    Yesterday man.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    His refusal to rule out campaigning to leave the EU is the bigger problem. It's the one area he seems less than willing to give straight answers on.
    He might be getting a steer from the TUC this afternoon. They're making noises to Cameron about not supporting a vote to remain in the EU unless he reigns in his anti union legislation.

Troubled waters ahead for the Tories.

He might be getting a steer from the TUC this afternoon. They're making noises to Cameron about not supporting a vote to remain in the EU unless he reigns in his anti union legislation.

Troubled waters ahead for the Tories.
    You might be right.
    Looks like we may have a Labour movement again.

Today we have sandwich-gate (Corbyn picks up some sandwiches which were for veterans).... and then we have anthem-gate (he did not sing to God Save the Queen).

The first is just laughable nonsense. The second is like something from Brave New World - here's someone who didn't participate in a GroupSing.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    Today we have sandwich-gate (Corbyn picks up some sandwiches which were for veterans).... and then we have anthem-gate (he did not sing to God Save the Queen).

The first is just laughable nonsense. The second is like something from Brave New World - here's someone who didn't participate in a GroupSing.

neither he should if he doesn't want to, he's a self-proclaimed republican, unfortunately the SNP would like to keep the monarchy :(

still wont ever stop me voting for the nats though :)
    Last edited by cabbageandribs1875; 15-09-2015 at 06:45 PM.

At least he didn't boooooooooo

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    The press have got him in the stocks and the tomatoes are flying good style.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    neither he should if he doesn't want to, he's a self-proclaimed republican
    I agree with that. If he's a republican, he shouldn't sing the anthem (I wouldn't either if I was ever in a position that it was being sung). However, he's about to join the privy council and kiss the Queen's hand so there's an overwhelming whiff of hypocrisy.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I agree with that. If he's a republican, he shouldn't sing the anthem (I wouldn't either if I was ever in a position that it was being sung). However, he's about to join the privy council and kiss the Queen's hand so there's an overwhelming whiff of hypocrisy.
    Change will only happen from the inside, the symbolic hand kiss is intended to filter out those who would want to change the status quo. Ask me in a year what I think of JC, I'll reserve judgement until then.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    I thought MP's had to take an oath of allegiance to the monarch as well, hence the reason Sinn Fein MP's don't take their seats.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
    I thought MP's had to take an oath of allegiance to the monarch as well, hence the reason Sinn Fein MP's don't take their seats.
    They do but it's nowhere near as extensive as the PC oath.
    Corbyn was in a no win situation with this one, in order to do his job properly as Leader of the Opposition he had to become a member of the PC. I don't see much wrong with him doing what he has to do in order to work within the existing system whilst working towards a better one.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post

Yesterday man.
    Isn't he now Lord Yesterday man!

Corbyn has done well at his first PMQ. Taking questions from the public via email actually worked really well.

Corbyn has done well at his first PMQ. Taking questions from the public via email actually worked really well.
    Clever tactic, it also means that Cameron can't just dismiss or bluster his way through the questions either.

Thought Corbyn was superb.

Wrong footed Cameron a bit and was forceful without playing up to the pantomime atmosphere. You can certainly tell he's had to speak in places where he simply has to get his point across quickly and be heard. He's a good public speaker.

Only thing lacking was any hard hitting follow up questions. I understand the desire to make it a bit more civilised but Cameron was let off a bit easy by simply quoting the government line and that was it. Unless Labour feel the more people actually hear the government line the less they will like it.

Yea really enjoyed that for a change. Exciting times ahead !

Coaching Staff

Today it is cameragate

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34269613

They (the press) seem desperate to throw up as many bad news stories as they can about Corbyn.

I wonder if the establishment are a wee bit worried that this guy will shake up their comfy wee life in the "Westminster Village"? They certainly don't seem to have "got it" that Scotland is fed up with the 2 establishment parties that existed whilst New Labour and the tories were in power. We don't want Eton Oxbridge types running the parties and pandering to business with trickle down economics whilst they get richer. We want a government that will make people's lives better.

I am quite looking forward to a shake up.

I am hoping that Corbyn's tactic of asking simple questions about things that matter to ordinary folk will eventually show Cameron up. It certainly makes a change from the usual common room bread roll throwing contest.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I am hoping that Corbyn's tactic of asking simple questions about things that matter to ordinary folk will eventually show Cameron up. It certainly makes a change from the usual common room bread roll throwing contest.
    Definitely better than slinging pre-made statements at each other.

@hibs.net private member
    Corbyn is determined to change politics with consensus not force. His performance at PMQs was very good. Labour MPs need to realise that change is coming and they better get with it quickly as that's what the party wants. Will Jez be the next PM? I doubt it, he will be 71 by the next GE but I believe he will have set Labour on a different route by then. People are crying for politics of change and Jez can deliver it.

Here in Scotland Labour is on its knees but I'm hoping for a Corbyn bounce which will keep Labour around. The party should be aiming to have around 30 list MSPs and a handful of constituency MSPs. The SNP must be held to account, our devolved parliament must start using its existing powers not carping on about powers it does not have. Scotland decided last year on the constitution and we may be asked again in the future but until then we should demand our MSPs start using all the powers they have to improve Scotland

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    Corbyn is determined to change politics with consensus not force. His performance at PMQs was very good. Labour MPs need to realise that change is coming and they better get with it quickly as that's what the party wants. Will Jez be the next PM? I doubt it, he will be 71 by the next GE but I believe he will have set Labour on a different route by then. People are crying for politics of change and Jez can deliver it.

Here in Scotland Labour is on its knees but I'm hoping for a Corbyn bounce which will keep Labour around. The party should be aiming to have around 30 list MSPs and a handful of constituency MSPs. The SNP must be held to account, our devolved parliament must start using its existing powers not carping on about powers it does not have. Scotland decided last year on the constitution and we may be asked again in the future but until then we should demand our MSPs start using all the powers they have to improve Scotland
    Good post, agree with all of that
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post

Yesterday man.
    http://derekbateman.co.uk/2015/09/17/just-desserts/

British army General doesn't have the kahoonas to put his name to this. A Mutiny in the ranks indeed.

These stories get better by the day.

http://t.co/O7jjPqfyez

British army General doesn't have the kahoonas to put his name to this. A Mutiny in the ranks indeed.

These stories get better by the day.

http://t.co/O7jjPqfyez
    If this was said by a serving General rather than a Colonel Blimp type figure in the pub then his fair means or foul comment has just earned him the sack if they can identify him.
    It's not been unusual for Generals to criticise recent Governments about downsizing of the armed forces, The Tories are as guilty as Labour are here when it comes to reducing manpower whilst increasing our commitments overseas.

Buy nothing online unless you click here first. I'm already 1,497.46 better off!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    The same pollsters had Corbyn cutting the Tory lead from 9% to 5%, but this was hidden amongst the banner headlines in the guardian and independent about Corbyns low personal rating. They will start clamouring for a coup by January, when of course any sensible person knows the knackered Labour ship will take 18 months at least to turn round. The Westminster hacks and their contacts in the PLP will never give him the time he needs.