hibs.net Messageboard

Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39474849
Results 1,441 to 1,452 of 1452
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've always quietly hoped he'd make a comeback as he's got what it takes. Great news if true.

glory glory
    Not sure he'd be welcomed back into the New Social Nationalist Party.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by northstandhibby View Post
    I've always quietly hoped he'd make a comeback as he's got what it takes. Great news if true.

glory glory
    But Labour have fought the last 2 elections on a Blairite type ticket and got humped. Why would it change this time? If there are two Tory type parties available, people will always go with the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    But Labour have fought the last 2 elections on a Blairite type ticket and got humped. Why would it change this time? If there are two Tory type parties available, people will always go with the real thing.
    I think you're underestimating David Milliband's intellect. Who says he'll run on a Blairite type agenda anyway? He'd set out his own agenda and I think he'd unite the party and set out his own direction of travel for the party. Delighted to hear this if true which I think is highly likely to be.

glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post

Not bad at all Hb.

glory glory

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    Rumour in the Guardian that David Milliband may seek a seat to contest!!
    Please, please, please . . .
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Scorrie View Post
    Drivel.

Blair won 3 elections in a row and gave the country some of the best policies we've had in modern times.

Gordon Brown "lost" because he was hopeless in front of a TV camera. The Libdems sealed his fate, of course.

Miliband moved left and lost.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibrandenburg View Post
    Fair play to him if he gives up his 500k a year job in NY.

Will be a very serious additiob to UK politics.

http://www.labour.org.uk/pages/parli...n-process-2017

Go on Hibby Labour types, you couldn't do any worse ...

In today's edition of The Times, Philip Collins looks at what the Tories and the Labour Party might stand to gain from the upcoming General Election.

He concludes that, whilst Mrs May might be taking the Conservative Party nowhere, Old Corbo is driving the Labour Party over a cliff!

But, but, but, it's the Times . . .

"The only real question of this untimely general election is how low the Labour Party can go. It is an unusual election in that every party has a reason for wanting it. The Tories to seek a crushing victory, the SNP to gain a mandate for a second independence referendum, the Liberal Democrats to lock in recovery and Labour to get shot of Jeremy Corbyn. The central question, though, is the last one. Has Theresa May hastened the dying day of the Labour Party or brought forward its salvation?

The prime minister’s opening remarks were a study in needless dishonesty. With a large majority in parliament for her Article 50 process it was bizarre to pretend that her plans are being thwarted. She should leave that sort of unworthy stupidity to the Daily Mail which is practised in it. It is entirely reasonable for a new prime minister to want her own mandate. She should say that and stick to it. No television debate, no questions at stage-managed public appearances. So far she has been fragile, not entirely candid and scared of a conversation.

Spare yourself the ‘oh, but Trump’, ‘oh, but Brexit’ nonsense
    Which makes her a certain victor. Labour enters the campaign on 24 per cent in the opinion polls. Mr Corbyn is thought to be the best option as prime minister by only 15 per cent of the country. More people think the moon landings were faked than think Labour will win on June 8. If the broadcasters proceed with the plan to put an empty chair on stage where Mrs May should be, Mr Corbyn has a decent chance of winning that exchange, as long as he doesn’t turn up. Labour MPs in tight races are giving up and nobody with a majority of 5,000 or fewer expects to win. Labour MPs believe that a poll score of 24 per cent flatters them and that, once the election campaign moves on to Mr Corbyn’s views on the IRA (which it will), the party might flirt with the high teens.

There is a parlour game in the gallows for the historically minded, which is to work out the appropriate year for comparison. Is it perhaps 1983, in which Labour produced The New Hope for Britain, a 39-page booklet, as its manifesto. The section on “the law of the sea” was my favourite, although it may as well have been the law of the jungle for all the difference it made. Michael Foot’s Labour won 27.6 per cent of the vote and 209 seats. Mr Corbyn will struggle to do as well. Perhaps the way to salvage historical notoriety from 2017 is, in memoriam to Gerald Kaufman who coined the phrase “the longest suicide note in history”, to call the manifesto No Hope for Britain and make it at least 40 pages long.

So if 1983 is too high a bar, maybe the better precedent is 1935 when Labour won only 154 seats. Even that performance marked something of a recovery from the 52 seats of 1931, and the improvement was due to an unusual manoeuvre from which Labour could still learn. As the election loomed the party was led by a committed pacifist from the left of the party, George Lansbury. When, a month before the election, the Labour conference voted in favour of sanctions against Italy for its aggression against Abyssinia, Lansbury was replaced by Attlee. There is no Attlee on hand with a month to go, alas, and Mr Corbyn seems intent on his vain but not glorious adventure to oblivion. The Corbyn experiment has been an education in basic politics for some new members of the Labour Party who didn’t know better and some old ones who should have done. The class of 2017 is about to graduate, with dishonour.

The opening of the campaign was a comic-book caper. Labour has set up a website called I Like Corbyn, But. . . which helpfully sets out all the reasons you might regard him as a nice chap but a hapless leader and then a few darker reservations such as Mr Corbyn keeping company with terrorists. Hackney Momentum is advising all supporters to put a tenner on Mr Corbyn to win which will shift the odds in his favour and “change the narrative”. Short of changing it to The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, I can’t see how this works. Then Mr Corbyn himself appeared, shouting platitudes of an unpopular populist type, railing against the establishment, vowing not to play by the rules and saying there are no rules in politics anyway. Here is a rule: any election that opens with the opposition leader moaning that the result is not necessarily a foregone conclusion is a foregone conclusion.

After the election, the government will soon look empty of purpose
    A charismatic leader with a competent team running on a left-wing programme would lose an election to Theresa May. Labour is insulting the electorate by putting up a man of no charisma and little intellect who, on small matters like Britain and the EU, has nothing to say. It is a recipe for catastrophe and the only question is how bad it gets. Spare yourself the inevitable “oh, but Trump”, “oh, but Brexit”, “oh, but Le Pen” nonsense. Labour is putting a cast-iron solid dud in front of the British people and they are going to deliver the message to Mr Corbyn that his own party has struggled to articulate.

The abject weakness of the Labour Party means that this election will produce the largest majority for an empty political project in British electoral history. Here is another rule of politics which pertains to Mrs May: if more grammar schools is the way you signal your direction then the direction you are heading in is nowhere. But going nowhere is preferable to going off a cliff, although at least if Mr Corbyn runs an authentic left-wing shouty campaign the discredit will be all his. The evidence suggests that the patience of Labour members is running out. He will not survive a big defeat. A moment will come, soon, when the Labour Party could salvage itself as a viable political organisation.

There is a shaft of optimism, strange to say. It is conceivable, when the economy turns and when leaving the EU proves to be dull and difficult and we have forgotten quite what the point was, that government will be caught up in daily stories of small events going awry. The post-election cabinet, with the best people leaving parliament or in exile, will be of very poor quality and the government will soon look empty of purpose.

An opposition led by a grown-up could be back in clover quickly. Yvette Cooper is being lined up. Keir Starmer is an option. Perhaps Chuka Umunna or Dan Jarvis. This is the question of this general election. It’s just the latest drama in the permanent Labour leadership election."

Aside from his many other problems Corbyn is a terrible public speaker. I watched his speech yesterday and it was just woefully delivered. The attempts to inject a bit passion and excitement were reminiscent of Iain Duncan Smith and his final speech at conference as Tory leader.

Of course his supporters will argue it should be about substance over style and I sympathise with that to an extent. We live in the world of the meme and the snapchat though. People like things in soundbites and that's the message they take away. It takes a skill to deliver a speech that says something and also contains enough easily digested pieces that people remember it. It takes an even greater skill to say practically nothing but have people believing they have heard something profound. Corbyn possesses neither skill from what I have seen and that's just another issue he has to overcome if he wants to leave a semi respectable base for the next leader to work with.
    I fell in love with football as I was later to fall in love with women,. Suddenly, uncritically giving no thought to the pain it could bring. - Nick Hornby

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Aside from his many other problems Corbyn is a terrible public speaker. I watched his speech yesterday and it was just woefully delivered. The attempts to inject a bit passion and excitement were reminiscent of Iain Duncan Smith and his final speech at conference as Tory leader.

Of course his supporters will argue it should be about substance over style and I sympathise with that to an extent. We live in the world of the meme and the snapchat though. People like things in soundbites and that's the message they take away. It takes a skill to deliver a speech that says something and also contains enough easily digested pieces that people remember it. It takes an even greater skill to say practically nothing but have people believing they have heard something profound. Corbyn possesses neither skill from what I have seen and that's just another issue he has to overcome if he wants to leave a semi respectable base for the next leader to work with.
    What substance is that? He had a couple of decent stand alone policy concepts but that usually undermined by his gob***** shadow chancellor.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post

Virtually anyone will look like an improvement on Corbyn (and I hate criticising him but he never should have been in the position in the first place) however is that enough to halt the tory and snp bandwagons just having anyone else at the helm? I say no because we require a person of intellect with sharp political nous added with a sprinkle of charisma and I believe that person is David Milliband. Everything regarding him is suited to taking on the tories and the snp.

Apparently Yvette Cooper is the bookies fav to succeed Corbyn. While she would be the anyone taking over after Corbyn type improvement i don't believe she has the personality to resonate enough with the middle ground UK.

I'm really almost praying now the rumours of a comeback by D Milliband are correct.

glory glory
    Last edited by northstandhibby; 21-04-2017 at 08:14 PM.