hibs.net Messageboard

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Butcher watch

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And to think he gave a speech at Dan McMichaels grave...
    Surely it would be expected that the hibs manager would say a few words - regardless of who it was? I imagine there would be a lot of questions if he didn't.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HoboHarry View Post
    And replaced him with whom at that stage of the season?
    Any two from the playing staff, it couldn't have been any worse than the status quo. Half the players knew well before the play offs that they were being dumped win or lose. The existing squad was more than capable of beating Hamilton over the two legs and hopefully chasing Butcher out the door would have given the players a much needed boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    I was sceptical about him due to his overall managerial record, but took solace from the fact that his time at ICT seemed to indicate that he was improving as a manager - in the game in which they beat us 2-0 at ER when he was in charge and shortly to come to us, they were excellent, well organised and played some quick, incisive football. I was hugely encouraged by that. Like many, I was quickly won over by his very positive interviews, and early run of results.

It was after that Raith cup game that I too was first seriously concerned about him, and came on here to raise those concerns - Raith were an average First Division team at the time, and hadn't won a game in 2014 before they played us - they caused us problems from the first minute to the last, and Butcher had no answers, and did nothing to change it.

The rest is history - even before the bottom six fixtures our decline was so inexorable, that relegation was inevitable. Even then, it was still made all the more painful by our victory in the first leg of the play off, and being less than a minute away from staying up. That second leg performance was the most inept and fearful that I have ever seen from a Hibs team - which is really saying something.
    I think that that game has clouded much of my thinking too.

More than (it appears) any other Hibs fan I have always been willing to give TB a bit of benefit of the doubt.

That day was the day that the team he had built on a shoestring (albeit via the First Division) comfortably beat the expensive shower of flops that he was soon to inherit. He wasn't ever given much of a chance to improve that squad.

We clearly had problems the day we played Raith and iirc it was after the transfer window had closed so we had no realistic chance to improve what we had.

At that point I knew we were staring down the barrel.

Even in spite of the trials and tribulations Newport now seem to be experiencing (and let's face it - there are mitigating factors there too) I'll take a bit of convincing that our problems began and ended with Butcher and that the crap players, Butcher's utterly inept predecessors and most importantly the clown who appointed them all weren't every bit as culpable, if not more than Butcher himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

More than (it appears) any other Hibs fan I have always been willing to give TB a bit of benefit of the doubt.

That day was the day that the team he had built on a shoestring (albeit via the First Division) comfortably beat the expensive shower of flops that he was soon to inherit. He wasn't ever given much of a chance to improve that squad.

We clearly had problems the day we played Raith and iirc it was after the transfer window had closed so we had no realistic chance to improve what we had.

Even in spite of the trials and tribulations Newport now seem to be experiencing (and let's face it - there are mitigating factors there too) I'll take a bit of convincing that our problems began and ended with Butcher and that the crap players, Butcher's utterly inept predecessors and most importantly the clown who appointed them all weren't every bit as culpable, if not more than Butcher himself.
    I think Malpas was in charge for that game when ICT ripped us at ER.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I think Malpas was in charge for that game when ICT ripped us at ER.
    Was it not Jimmy Nicholl?

I remember Butcher being in the stand but I don't remember Malpas starting at Hibs before him.

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar

I remember Butcher being in the stand but I don't remember Malpas starting at Hibs before him.
    Think about it smartie, think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Think about it smartie, think about it
    FFS

Of course.

Malpas was in charge of ICT. It was while negotiations were underway with Inverness to get Butcher. Nicholl was in charge of us.

*edit - sorry Smartie. Just catching up and see you got it. It was the team that Butcher built (or maybe the goalkeeping coach) but expertly drilled by the sweary assistant that day.
    Last edited by tamig; 14-09-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Malpas was in charge of ICT. It was while negotiations were underway with Inverness to get Butcher. Nicholl was in charge of us.

*edit - sorry Smartie. Just catching up and see you got it. It was the team that Butcher built (or maybe the goalkeeping coach) but expertly drilled by the sweary assistant that day.

The weird thing about Malpas is he had a good education, the media used to go on about it. Yet his vocabulary was no different to any of the mad bams shouting at him. Just goes to show i guess

Left by mutual consent!
    The great man has spoken.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34283516

"If we were getting smashed every week there would be no hope, but we are not," said the former England captain.

"That is why I say there is great hope because of the way we are playing and the way we want to continue play our football.

"If we do carry on those same lines and produce the performances the results must come, they have to."
    Just you keep eking out hard fought defeats and everything will be hunky-dory, Tel. One solitary point from a possible 21 surely speaks volumes about the performances.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

Just you keep eking out hard fought defeats and everything will be hunky-dory, Tel. One solitary point from a possible 21 surely speaks volumes about the performances.

That's now 1 win in 25 league games if you go back to 5 Jan 2014. Surely a new record in managerial ineptness?

Butcher is total ********. Have a chat with any of the players involved during his time and you will hear the damage he did.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Butcher is total ******** Have a chat with any of the players involved during his time and you will hear the damage he did.
    Underscore do you or any other poster have some real stories from his managerial time here - we've all heard the rumours , but I've never actually heard specific examples of how bad a manager he was ....would be interested to hear ..

"stop trying to pass the king ball, you're a defender"

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergey View Post

Sounds uncannily like our predicament in Spring 2014, when all we needed was one more win to guarantee safety.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Rumours kicking about on the Newport boards that not all is well in their youth academy.

Sound familiar?

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    One of their posters wrote "big baz wrote:And our chief scout would rather pick on kids at the academy than do his job"

Who's their chief scout?

EDIT; looks like it's Marsella.
    Last edited by Northernhibee; 18-09-2015 at 04:35 PM.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    Butcher is total ******** Have a chat with any of the players involved during his time and you will hear the damage he did.
    I could well believe it.

Not sure I would want to take the word of any of those players though - the players who were part of the dressing room lost by Fenlon, necessitating his departure and the appointment of Butcher.

3 players from that time can hold their head high imo and I expect them all to start for Hibernian tomorrow. And at the time Butcher was here one was a kid playing his first season and the other was injured for much of his tenure.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Is the 2-1 new year Derby at ER back in Jan 14 his last league win? Utterly staggering if so

Quote Originally Posted by NadeAteMyLunch! View Post
    Is the 2-1 new year Derby at ER back in Jan 14 his last league win? Utterly staggering if so
    We beat Ross county 2-1 in February but that was our last win that season and maybe even our last point?!
    Will never forget being 1-0 down to killie at home in one of the final games and still had 4 at the back marking Boyd with 10mins to go!!

Coaching Staff
    Sorry, but dunno how to post the link....but the South Wales Argus has a piece from a few days ago, pleading for the Newport fans NOT to call for his head, just yet...Butcher is described as 'devastated' over a recent loss.

One would have thought he was inured against such feelings, given his history.

Testimonial Due
    0-0 Draw today against the mighty Dag & Red. The fear of winning still haunting El Tel.

Testimonial Due NadeAteMyLunch!'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyle89 View Post
    We beat Ross county 2-1 in February but that was our last win that season and maybe even our last point?!
    Will never forget being 1-0 down to killie at home in one of the final games and still had 4 at the back marking Boyd with 10mins to go!!
    So we did. Stanton and Taiwo scored. Still, brutal that he's not won a game since then. We got at least one more point, 1-1 at home vs Partick.
    That Killie game was last game of the season. Must win game then we gifted Boyd a first half goal. Was curtains after that

After that game I think we managed 4 points (4 draws) out of the remaining 40 points.

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    After that game I think we managed 4 points (4 draws) out of the remaining 40 points.
    We got that many points after that?!! Not disputing it I just cannot remember it. Maybe I'm blocking it out.

We got that many points after that?!! Not disputing it I just cannot remember it. Maybe I'm blocking it out.
    Well you're better blocking it out early on as it takes away the fear of remembering it later on.

An absolute impostor who lived on his England playing days for to long. He's now been well and truly found out for what he is.

If he gets Newport relegated that will be 4 teams that he's gotten relegated whilst managing.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I could well believe it.

Not sure I would want to take the word of any of those players though - the players who were part of the dressing room lost by Fenlon, necessitating his departure and the appointment of Butcher.

3 players from that time can hold their head high imo and I expect them all to start for Hibernian tomorrow. And at the time Butcher was here one was a kid playing his first season and the other was injured for much of his tenure.
    Hanlon, Cummings and Stevenson presumably. But not Sam Stanton? Last quarter of the season he was fighting to keep us up single-handed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Hanlon, Cummings and Stevenson presumably. But not Sam Stanton? Last quarter of the season he was fighting to keep us up single-handed.
    I forgot about Sam.

Fair point, he's off the hook too.

Shame he's struggled to shine in a better team with better players around him that plays a style of football that suits his strengths better.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    I forgot about Sam.

Fair point, he's off the hook too.

Shame he's struggled to shine in a better team with better players around him that plays a style of football that suits his strengths better.
    Have to agree. I think the failure of that season affected the boy more than most.