hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Speedy's Avatar

Edinburgh Festival Fringe

Any early recommendations?

So far I seen:

Andrew Maxwell - great show, well worth a watch

Paul Sinha - pretty good. Well worth a fiver, decent enough but other things I'd prioritise at full price

Hal Cruttenden - Decent enough and made me laugh.

Not seen him yet but if you're looking for freebies then Joel Dommett is worth seeing.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I've not been to see anything yet, but have tickets for Stewart Lee, Tony Law and Hot Dub Time Machine.

I'll be going out to see a few of the newer comedians at some point, picked at random probably. Last year ended up going to see a few decent ones that way.

Going to see Max and Ivan The End tonight, had some good reviews.

At the moment the Fringe is just annoying me. Restaurants, hotels and bars that know about it all year yet leave their orders to the last minute then moan when we can't get them 10000 plastic pint glasses at 45 minutes notice.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Just out of said show above and would thoroughly recommend. Probably the best £6 I have spent this year.

A few reviews describing them as the next great British comedy double act and whilst I was sceptical before seeing the show I can.quite believe it now. Really funny, probably the best Fringe show I've seen in 5 years.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Going to see Craig Hill on Wednesday at EICC - should be good :-)

Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Going to see Craig Hill on Wednesday at EICC - should be good :-)
    His show is normally very good.

Got reluctantly dragged along one year but always enjoyed it since.

Saw Charlie Baker tonight. Laughed in bits but it wasn't great. First show this year I wish I hadn't bothered.

Left by mutual consent!
    Raymond Mearns free show at beehive. Worth it

Andrew Maxwell was excellent. One of the best I've seen.

Daniel Sloss was very good. A comedian who can have you laughing and then sad in an instant.

Going to see Rob Beckett, Jerry Sadowitz and Freddie Flintoff.

Will be keeping an eye on this thread for other tips.

@hibs.net private member
    I'm going to see Patrick Kielty. That's all I've got booked so far.

Justin Moorehouse and Henning Wein were both excellent although I was a little disappointed with Ed Byrne.

I've got Katherine Ryan tickets and expect her to be good.

Went to see Checkpoint 22 today. Funny play about 2 graduates experience working at Glastonbury.

Good laugh, would recommend - definitely at 2 for 1 Monday and Tuesday.
    Last edited by Speedy; 08-08-2015 at 06:43 PM.

Mark Forward - terrible, utter dross. About 75% of his audience didn't buy into it at the start and he isolated them.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    I'm coming down on the 26th for my annual Festival soiree. Got tickets for Mark Watson, So This Is What We Voted For with Vladamir McTavish, Alun Cochrane, James at Ross Bandstand, Scotland v Rest of the World BBC recording and Late n Live (if we're still standing). Then back down on 29th for the Raith game and the Tattoo.

Gutted to be missing our yearly boys night out to Jerry Sadowitz but can't get down to any of his nights.

Saw Andrew Lawrence the other night. Very, very disappointing.

Very few laughs and all his best jokes are already on his Twitter feed.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Sampled some off the free fringe today - it can be a bit hit or miss, just do a bit research first.

Saw a show called 'Jollyboat' at Movement in the Cowgate. Highly amusing hour.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    Mark Forward - terrible, utter dross. About 75% of his audience didn't buy into it at the start and he isolated them.
    I saw him this weekend and he was great.

Yeah he really seemed to split the room. There were 5 in our group, 3 thought he was crap and 2 thought he was really good.

Also saw Dark Side of the Mime last night. Pretty obscure; quite creepy in places but also some funny moments and overall pretty entertaining.

Just seen Carl Donnelly & Chris Martin's podcast (guest Christian O'Connell) - was good, ideal freebie to pass the time in the afternoon.
    Last edited by Speedy; 10-08-2015 at 03:27 PM.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deano88 View Post
    Just seen Carl Donnelly & Chris Martin's podcast (guess Christian O'Connell) - was good, ideal freebie to pass the time in the afternoon.
    Did they mention what other guests they had planned for this? I'm planning on going along one day this week or next.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    Did they mention what other guests they had planned for this? I'm planning on going along one day this week or next.
    No, didn't say. Will probably find it on twitter or something though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hibee Harp View Post
    Saw Andrew Lawrence the other night. Very, very disappointing.

Very few laughs and all his best jokes are already on his Twitter feed.
    He was very good a few years ago but he's lost the plot recently. Comes across as very bitter.

Anyway, rarely get to see proper shows now, it's all about the kids stuff with my 3 year old son-

Mr tiger goes wild - based on a kids book and good fun for adults and young kids.

Dr Bubble - wee man loved it, good for kids under 10.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    This year I have tickets for

Wings in my Heart at Fountainbridge

Drum Tribe at the Gilded Baloon

The AniMotion Show at Heriots School

ALso at the Book Festival

Lin Anderson and Christobel Kent

Val McDermid with Niamh Nic Daeid and Gill Arbuthnot

Tony Juniper

and Caroline Lucas

If I have time I will try and get along to Butterfly Rammy at the Stand in St Andrews Square

All of that in 3 days.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Off to see Trainspotting tomorrow night.

Have spoken to a few people who have been along and all have said it's a good adaptation so looking forward to it.

Lillian boutte jazz singer is always a brilliant show.

Was sitting next to Nicholas Parsons at the Pleasance on Sunday. Doing ok for 92 year old

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Anyone been to the freefestival site at the arches on Market Street?

Went to see a free fringe show Puppet Fiction (based on Pulp Fiction). Was a very enjoyable hour, it is on at the Counting House every day at 2.45.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    Went to see a free fringe show Puppet Fiction (based on Pulp Fiction). Was a very enjoyable hour, it is on at the Counting House every day at 2.45.
    Saw that as well, it was good. Looks like they vary the scenes each day so worth going to see again.

Since my last post I've seen:

• So you think you're funny - Couple of decent acts - Luca Capani was definitely the standout, will try to catch his show
    • Joel Dommett - really enjoyed it but maybe not quite as good as his last show
    • Jollyboat - cheers for the recommendation BroxburnHibee. I didn't get all the references but it was a very good show. Geeks will love it
    • Get your own back: Live - reasonably entertaining, not the best show ever but the nostalgia made up for it
    • Stuart Laws - not too bad, started slowly but picked up. Decent for free fringe.
    • Christian O'Connell - not bad but wouldn't rush back

Back to work now so unfortunately back to reality.

Went to see Trainspotting last night.

Really enjoyed it. It's hard to do anything massively original with Trainspotting but thes.guys gave it a good go. Changed a few of the characters about and focussed on a lot of the black humour in the book eg the 'traditional breakfast', the job interview or the bookies toilet.scene. On saying that the scene of Begbie battering a pregnant June or the portrayal of Tommys descent into addiction is really hard hitting and uncomfortable.

It was an interesting set up. You go into a 'rave' with all the main characters dancing and the seating is in amongst the set with a lot of interaction.between chatacters and audience. One thing I thought was genius was the different smells that floated through the room from the smell of bo and stale sweat during the rave scene through a sickly sweet smell when they were cooking up smack to.the stench of ***** and fried food during another scene.

It was also good to see a show so politically correct with graffiti such as 'jambo ****', '**** Wallace Mercer' and 'Hibees' as well as Renton looking superb in his 1972 Scottish Cup final shirt.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Used to work at the festival when I was a student and go to loads of shows for free. The whole thing is fairly expensive now so I've been to a few things and will try to get to the odd other show when possible.

Foil arms and hog- really funny sketch comedy
    Pete firman- magician/ comedian
    Festival of the spoken nerd- if you're a bit geeky and appreciate a bit of physics/ maths humour then this is definitely worth a visit.

Been to a couple others, but those were the highlights.

Got to a couple of free shows too which have been decent. Think I'll try to go to a couple of the "fast fringe" type shows where you get 5-15 minutes per comedian to showcase their stuff.
    Mon the Hibs.