hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5,953

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Winning this league will improve crowds for next season, FFS we could sign Ronaldo right now and i doubt crowds would go up much folk are seeing the club in this league for 2 seasons in a row, it will take an awful lot to get back lapsed supporters.
    Which one? Spot on though, SH

It is holiday season, it is wedding season and it is also an early start to the football season - ergo there are many reasons why attendance was low on Saturday.

Oh and please don't compare us to Hertz. The only time you get an accurate crowd number for a home game at the PBS is when it's a cup game. There's also the small matter of ridiculously low ST prices and others have said, a siege mentality. We're not doing too bad, IMHO. GGTTH.

2. Log in to remove the advert

I couldn't make it cos I had other stuff on and a few of my mates did too. This is one reason why I don't want summer football.

Quote Originally Posted by bookert View Post
    we understandably continue to compare ourselves to the hearts. We need to hold our hand up and admit they have mustered support much better than us over the past year. I thought given the week we have had, the response of the club to the rangers bid, we would have shown up in Greater numbers yesterday to show commitment, I was really disappointed
    They were in real danger of going out of existance whilst we had just been relegated, the situations are/were far from comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by sesoim View Post
    I don't personally think they are. They could have charged a tenner, and if they wanted to generate more money, why not organize a decent friendly? Some of the signing (and re-signings) have been underwhelming, and obviously the poor result last week didn't help, so it's no wonder the crowd wasn't great. But then again, it was better than most of the SP sides could muster for most games, and at least their fans are getting to watch SP football. Also, the result and performance wasn't up to much considering where Montrose were last season - maybe that's what a lot of stay away fans expected.

Frankly, I think crowds will be lower this season because, cup games aside, we are basically filling in time till the play-offs. Being in this league is awful, fans are still angry, we lost the play-offs and flopped in the SC against Falkirk. I don't see that changing until we are back in the SP.

Personally, I think the club are lucky so many fans are still turning up and paying so much money into the club.
    What a cheerless, draining post. The signings have been really good considering we are still in the Championship. What did you expect? I go to fitba to be entertained regardless of which division we are in and i think we will be this season.

Incidentally why are fans still angry? I don't know anybody who is angry, quite the reverse in fact. Everyone i know is encouraged that we finally appear to be getting things right off the pitch.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    They were in real danger of going out of existance whilst we had just been relegated, the situations are/were far from comparable.
    Yes but do we want our supporters doing "walking away" and making hahahahearts look like a bigger club?

I thought we'd already established that yesterday's crowd was about average for an early round league cup tie.

So why are some people still using it to beat the club over the head with?

Quote Originally Posted by flash View Post
    What a cheerless, draining post. The signings have been really good considering we are still in the Championship. What did you expect? I go to fitba to be entertained regardless of which division we are in and i think we will be this season.

Incidentally why are fans still angry? I don't know anybody who is angry, quite the reverse in fact. Everyone i know is encouraged that we finally appear to be getting things right off the pitch.
    I'm still angry. I still can't believe how we ended up here and that not a single member of the board felt the need to resign. It's an absolute disgrace. I don't know how they sleep at night but I realise that these people look after number 1 first and foremost. So yes, I'm still angry and I doubt it will subside till we are out of this division. Hopefully that will be this season.

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I'm still angry. I still can't believe how we ended up here and that not a single member of the board felt the need to resign. It's an absolute disgrace. I don't know how they sleep at night but I realise that these people look after number 1 first and foremost. So yes, I'm still angry and I doubt it will subside till we are out of this division. Hopefully that will be this season.
    Are you 12 ?

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Are you 12 ?
    I'll scweam and scweam and make myself thick...

@hibs.net private member

Ah....now I get it....you're running a parody account....very funny! "angry teenager routine" Hats off...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
    Looked more in the stadium!

More than the Dumbarton game this time last season in the League Cup...

5066 for that one with more away fans!

2872 at Hamilton today
    3307 at ICT
    5207 at Killie today

These crowds should be more of a worry for the SPFL
    I watched a You Tube documentary on the rivalry between Schalke 04 and Dortmund. They were speaking to a Dortmund fan and asked him why their crowds are so huge, his reply was ( almost word for word ) "Dortmund is such a dump that the only reason folk know where it is, or care, is because of the football team so everybody supports it .. the same goes for Gelsenkirchen"

There is truth in that ..... My European geography aint bad, but until I started taking an interest in the Bundesliga I had never even heard of Gelsenkirchen, it was only when I googled Shalke 04 that I became aware of the city.

Though that accusation cant be levelled at Edinburgh it pretty well can be to the likes of Kilmarnock and Hamilton, its a pity that the communities in Scotland's smaller towns don't see their clubs as part of the towns identity and make more effort to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    Are you 12 ?
    Hehe. Everyone is different. I still get p***** off every time I think about the damage that has been done. You are obviously cool with it. Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    I watched a You Tube documentary on the rivalry between Schalke 04 and Dortmund. They were speaking to a Dortmund fan and asked him why their crowds are so huge, his reply was ( almost word for word ) "Dortmund is such a dump that the only reason folk know where it is, or care, is because of the football team so everybody supports it .. the same goes for Gelsenkirchen"

There is truth in that ..... My European geography aint bad, but until I started taking an interest in the Bundesliga I had never even heard of Gelsenkirchen, it was only when I googled Shalke 04 that I became aware of the city.

Though that accusation cant be levelled at Edinburgh it pretty well can be to the likes of Kilmarnock and Hamilton, its a pity that the communities in Scotland's smaller towns don't see their clubs as part of the towns identity and make more effort to support them.
    They do. Kilmarnock and Hamilton get bigger crowds than similar sized towns in England.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    That is an abysmal crowd for the Killie game. I would imagine Dundee would have brought at least 1000 fans so to only get 4k home fans for the first game of the season is pathetic.
    No EPL on the tele, summer fixture. Kinda blows the argument that summe fitba will increase crowds and solve all our issues.

Your talking 2000 home fans for Hamilton and 2500 for ICT when you take into account away fans. Quite a worry for first game of the season and 3pm non-televised kick-offs.

Even speaking to a Celtic supporting workmate Parkhead was pretty dead on Saturday for their league winning "flag day", and for their up and coming away match to Partick, a few miles along the road, tickets for the celtic end are on general sale, which has never happened before.

Seems folk are bored with the whole setup...
    Last edited by green&left; 03-08-2015 at 11:01 AM.

Is scotland not ranked in the top 5/6 best attended leagues in europe per head of population? Im sure i read that not so long ago?

edit - just looked and it the articles i found we were 2nd and 3rd. Not too bad.
    Last edited by Gordy M; 03-08-2015 at 11:06 AM.

They do. Kilmarnock and Hamilton get bigger crowds than similar sized towns in England.
    Probably ..... But to be fair there's not much chance of Dover Athletic making it into the Europa league first round. Both Killie and Hamilton have decent facilities, it would be nice to see more folk turn out to fill them a bit.

Don't get me wrong ..... for one of Britain's more affluent cities the support Hibs get is pretty average and I wish more folk would get along to support us.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post
    Is scotland not ranked in the top 5/6 best attended leagues in europe per head of population? Im sure i read that not so long ago?

edit - just looked and it the articles i found we were 2nd and 3rd. Not too bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordy M View Post

We are/were but unfortunately that's largely down to the bigot brothers. However some of our smaller teams are actually remarkably well supported considering the small population they have to draw on.

On the other hand, Reading is about the same size as Dundee but the football club gets bigger crowds than both the Dundee clubs combined.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peevemor View Post
    I'll scweam and scweam and make myself thick...
    Violet Elizabeth, I presume

One game in to the "season"...
    Not the Scottish Cup
    Not the league
    Still well in the summer holidays when the bulk of people will have planned and gone on holidays
    ...still we get a touch less than 6k and not much less than the yams, with attendances low across the country...

.....all this , and folk immediately start to drown in a sea of their own urine and self defeatist prophecies of doom?

When the league kicks off, our crowds will increase steadily into September, just like everyone else in Scotland.

Meantime, there is tumbleweed blowing, somewhere.......

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoopyboy View Post
    Violet Elizabeth, I presume

Quote Originally Posted by Caversham Green View Post
    On the other hand, Reading is about the same size as Dundee but the football club gets bigger crowds than both the Dundee clubs combined.

Comparisons could get a bit embarrassing in some cases.

Liverpool is the same size as Edinburgh (roughly 450k) and both have two teams.

Liverpool and Everton's combined average home gates last season was 83,000

Hibs and Hearts' combined average home gates last season was 26,000

--------------------------------

Much better to compare us to Bristol (roughly 430k). Rover and City's combined average home gates last season was 19,000

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    We are/were but unfortunately that's largely down to the bigot brothers. However some of our smaller teams are actually remarkably well supported considering the small population they have to draw on.
    Yeh i suppose the point i was trying to make is that even tho scottish football is heavily critisized in some quarters, it is still well supported. I really enjoy scottish football and hate how tv money has skewed the game. I think sometimes 'we' are our own worst enemies in 'rubbishing' our game up here.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Comparisons could get a bit embarrassing in some cases.

Liverpool is the same size as Edinburgh (roughly 450k) and both have two teams.

Liverpool and Everton's combined average home gates last season was 83,000

Hibs and Hearts' combined average home gates last season was 26,000

--------------------------------

Much better to compare us to Bristol (roughly 430k). Rover and City's combined average home gates last season was 19,000

Merseyside has a population of about 1.4m and the North West has a population of about 16m people.
    I would say Liverpool is more comparable to Glasgow.

Merseyside has a population of about 1.4m and the North West has a population of about 16m people.
    Yep.

Aberdeen and Newcastle have relatively similar populations in the city yet one draws 45K+ a week, the other about 14k. However if you look at the wider area Tyneside has a population of nearly 900 000 whilst Aberdeenshire of 250 000.

Scottish football has to stop constantly comparing itself with the English leagues. Everyone else does it but we could massively help ourselves by focussing on what we are doing and not belittling our game by making comparisons with the steroid fuelled beefcake (figuratively speaking) that is the EPL and English Championship.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Yep.

Aberdeen and Newcastle have relatively similar populations in the city yet one draws 45K+ a week, the other about 14k. However if you look at the wider area Tyneside has a population of nearly 900 000 whilst Aberdeenshire of 250 000.

Scottish football has to stop constantly comparing itself with the English leagues. Everyone else does it but we could massively help ourselves by focussing on what we are doing and not belittling our game by making comparisons with the steroid fuelled beefcake (figuratively speaking) that is the EPL and English Championship.
    The biggest statistic that anyone needs to know is that on the final day of last season, 1.7% of Scotland's population attended a Scottish Premiership match and 0.7% of England's population attended an English Premiership match.

We can't compare sheer numbers with a country that has 10 times as many people than we do.

How many football clubs are there in Merseyside?

How many in the North West of England?

If you took Merseyside as their catchment are and ignored the smaller clubs, then you should really take the Lothians and the Borders as being Hibs & Hearts catchment area, as there is only one other (much smaller) club. That'll give you 950,000.

However you slice it, Hibs and Hearts supports don't compare well.

Comparing a country with 55 million and 5 million. Not very fair is it.

We simply have too many clubs

Maybe somebody should start a thread on Kickback titled '6,240' and see if they go into meltdown at the state of their Club.