hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5,953

It kind of felt like another friendly. I wanted to go.but the kids had other thongs to do....I will also miss tye first home game of the season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Lets no all start wettin' oorsel FFS.

I missed today coz of a wedding and will miss the Morton game coz I have to be away. At this time of year these things happen. It was Montrose in a game we were near certs to win. Once August is over and the league kicks in things will pick up.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7062 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really poor crowd today I bet Leanne and Stubbsy are wondering what else to do to bring in the fans
    I doubt it. They'll know that 7 years of abject failure, relegation and a nearly season will take a lot more than a war of words with the Huns to bring back fans. Unless we get a good start to the season, expect a lot of 6-7000 crowds at Er this season. We're down to the core.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Is the attendance today not about standard for us in recent years in the early rounds of this competition when we draw lower league teams?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    I definitely remember sub 7000 for at least a couple of midweek games in recent years.

Not just lower league teams. We had roughly the same home support when we played Aberdeen in the cup about 3 years ago.

The plain fact is that early rounds of cup competitions are just poorly attended in general.

5953 isnt really too bad for a 1st round league cup tie against Montrose is it? I would like to see the league crowds average out at over 10k though.

I decided to check the attendances for the first round Hibs played at home in the League Cup for the last 10 seasons.

Each of the below are the first game played at home in that competition. These are mostly 1st round games (in relation to Hibs) but, where these are are the 2nd round, I've added a (2) after it.

Year League Cup
    2006-07 v Peterhead 5,500
    2007-08 v Motherwell (2) 7,000
    2008-09 v Morton 6,329
    2009-10 v Brechin 7,047
    2010-11 - none -
    2011-12 v Berwick 4,936
    2012-13 - none -
    2013-14 v Stranraer 6,431
    2014-15 v Dumbarton 5,066
    2015-16 v Montrose 5,953

+ Hearts attendance this weekend was almost exactly the same as ours.
    Last edited by Keith_M; 02-08-2015 at 07:41 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    The fact is people can't keep forking out for football. ST, HSL, shares, Sky & BT I'm begging to question the amount I spend on football. Hibs are a hobby but ffs it's becoming like a second wife without all the joys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by lucky View Post
    The fact is people can't keep forking out for football. ST, HSL, shares, Sky & BT I'm begging to question the amount I spend on football. Hibs are a hobby but ffs it's becoming like a second wife without all the joys!!!
    You're absolutely right although I think there are a few out there who could do a bit more :-)

But that's really just scratching around for the last of the change in your pocket.

I think a bigger return will come from getting folk back, encouraging regular walk ups to commit to a season ticket, stuff like that. We need 'others' who have still got folding stuff in their pockets to part with that.
    Space to let

Prediction League Supremo - 05/06 MB62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    3pm on a Saturday and a game we're almost certain to win. Not seeing many reasons not to go.
    Six of us who would normally have been there were away on a family holiday at the weekend. I would suggest there were maybe quite a few others in a similar position.

As the graph above shows, it was an average gate for the 1st round of the cup, nothing to get all hot and bothered about imo.

@hibs.net private member KeithTheHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenDevil View Post
    Looked more in the stadium!

More than the Dumbarton game this time last season in the League Cup...

5066 for that one with more away fans!

2872 at Hamilton today
    3307 at ICT
    5207 at Killie today

These crowds should be more of a worry for the SPFL

That is an abysmal crowd for the Killie game. I would imagine Dundee would have brought at least 1000 fans so to only get 4k home fans for the first game of the season is pathetic.

@hibs.net private member Alfred E Newman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    Six of us who would normally have been there were away on a family holiday at the weekend. I would suggest there were maybe quite a few others in a similar position.
    One of the reasons that a switch to a through the summer season would be a disaster for the game up here.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithTheHibby View Post
    That is an abysmal crowd for the Killie game. I would imagine Dundee would have brought at least 1000 fans so to only get 4k home fans for the first game of the season is pathetic.
    Kilmarnock's average attendance for season 2014/15 was 4,076. That was 7th highest out of the 12 Premiership teams.

Five teams in the Premiership had average attendances below 4,000. Only two teams in the Premiership reached average attendances of five figures - Celtic and Aberdeen.

Hibs average attendance was 10,170 (Championship).

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    Kilmarnock's average attendance for season 2014/15 was 4,076. That was 7th highest out of the 12 Premiership teams.

Five teams in the Premiership had average attendances below 4,000. Only two teams in the Premiership reached average attendances of five figures - Celtic and Aberdeen.

Hibs average attendance was 10,170 (Championship).
    10,170 is pretty damn good, all things considered. Get us back in the SPL with a decent side and we can get 15K.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernia&Alba View Post
    10,170 is pretty damn good, all things considered. Get us back in the SPL with a decent side and we can get 15K.
    It's very good considering how many Hibs matches last season were against teams with hardly any away support worth talking about - e.g. Alloa, Dumbarton etc.

The potential is there at HFC, there is no doubt about that. Just need a winning side (and promotion) of course.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    It's very good considering how many Hibs matches last season were against teams with hardly any away support worth talking about - e.g. Alloa, Dumbarton etc.

The potential is there at HFC, there is no doubt about that. Just need a winning side (and promotion) of course.
    we understandably continue to compare ourselves to the hearts. We need to hold our hand up and admit they have mustered support much better than us over the past year. I thought given the week we have had, the response of the club to the rangers bid, we would have shown up in Greater numbers yesterday to show commitment, I was really disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by bookert View Post
    we understandably continue to compare ourselves to the hearts. We need to hold our hand up and admit they have mustered support much better than us over the past year
    No way. **** the Hearts.
    Every gimmick hungry yob,
    Digging gold from rock and roll
    Grabs the mic to tell us,
    He'll die before he's sold.

Quote Originally Posted by MB62 View Post
    Fair enough, I'll let you off

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by marinello59 View Post
    No way. **** the Hearts.
    Aye easy to say, they have how many season tickets, and how many last year when on our league. I just think leanne and the new regime.is the best thing thats happened to hibs in years, but they need to be supported.

@hibs.net private member
    We have ended up in this league for quite different reasons than Hearts did....but like it or lump it, they are a club which is getting great numbers through their doors...I don't know what will be out catalyst, but we need something to get fans coming through our gates again...or else we will end up wth 8/9000 crowds all season. Not what Alan Stubbs and the team need to help them get back up...

Quote Originally Posted by bookert View Post
    Aye easy to say, they have how many season tickets, and how many last year when on our league. I just think leanne and the new regime.is the best thing thats happened to hibs in years, but they need to be supported.
    Their situation last season was quite unique though in the sense that they had a bit of a siege mentality and they had just seen their club come very close to going out of business. They were always going to rally round and turn up in large numbers.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Maybe a lot of folk that would normally attend are on holidays etc? I know 8 or 9 folk, myself included, that couldn't attend due to weekends away and holidays. Wouldn't look too much into it.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Almost 6,000 for a game NOT on a season ticket against a teapot club like Montrose. What did folk expect? Clubs like Hamilton, cup winners ICT and Killie would kill for a crowd like that on a regular basis.

Yes it's summer but as a support we've had many kicks in the teeth that have scunnered folk. A managerial merry go round, relegation and a member of the board who divides opinion have all contributed

It's time for the club NOT the fans to stand up and be counted. Roll up their sleeves and get out of this frankly dire second tier of Scottish football.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto7062 View Post
    11,225 against Rangers and 3500 were Ogres...

So we're down 2500 odd fans from last week...I hear what your saying ref other teams but Hibs are doing everything to entice the fans back and to me it doesn't seem to be working....

I don't personally think they are. They could have charged a tenner, and if they wanted to generate more money, why not organize a decent friendly? Some of the signing (and re-signings) have been underwhelming, and obviously the poor result last week didn't help, so it's no wonder the crowd wasn't great. But then again, it was better than most of the SP sides could muster for most games, and at least their fans are getting to watch SP football. Also, the result and performance wasn't up to much considering where Montrose were last season - maybe that's what a lot of stay away fans expected.

Frankly, I think crowds will be lower this season because, cup games aside, we are basically filling in time till the play-offs. Being in this league is awful, fans are still angry, we lost the play-offs and flopped in the SC against Falkirk. I don't see that changing until we are back in the SP.

Personally, I think the club are lucky so many fans are still turning up and paying so much money into the club.

@hibs.net private member Gerard's Avatar
    In time Leeann and her management team will do the things that will attract more people to watch our team. I can see an increase in STs every year and more walk up fans watching games. The reasons for this being that we are able to keep quality players like Scott Allan and sign players like John McGinn.This season it's important that we are promoted and that will be easier with the fans getting behind our team. I can see players coming through the Training Centre and the present squad getting better because of the training staff that work there. When you have excellent facilities and people who work in these facilities it tends to produce excellent players. There are many ways in which our fans can help make this happen, if possible via STs, HSL, Buying shares and Leith Links being 4 good ways to make this happen. Let's be positive as we have a lot of things to be positive about Hibs.

The real indication of how crowds are looking will be against Morton in a fortnight.

League games struggled to get much above the 8k mark on most occasions last year. We've sold over 7k season tickets so it'll be interesting to see if we get much in the way of walk up supporters. The only way we'll increase that is by being in a proper title race, unlike last year.
    Last edited by B.H.F.C; 02-08-2015 at 10:43 PM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by sesoim View Post
    I don't personally think they are. They could have charged a tenner, and if they wanted to generate more money, why not organize a decent friendly? Some of the signing (and re-signings) have been underwhelming, and obviously the poor result last week didn't help, so it's no wonder the crowd wasn't great. But then again, it was better than most of the SP sides could muster for most games, and at least their fans are getting to watch SP football. Also, the result and performance wasn't up to much considering where Montrose were last season - maybe that's what a lot of stay away fans expected.

Frankly, I think crowds will be lower this season because, cup games aside, we are basically filling in time till the play-offs. Being in this league is awful, fans are still angry, we lost the play-offs and flopped in the SC against Falkirk. I don't see that changing until we are back in the SP.

Personally, I think the club are lucky so many fans are still turning up and paying so much money into the club.
    Maybe it's time we realised that we are in danger of letting hahahahearts seem like the big club they keep trying to tell us they are in Edinburgh. Maybe it's time for Our fans to stop finding excuses to not support the team.
    Maybe it's time we realise it is our club and the only way it can be successful is if we continue to turn up.
    Or of course we can grumble from behind a keyboard giving any number of excuses and become part of a self fulfilling prophecy.

It's our club, let's stop moaning and cheer it back to the top.

Everyone I talk to about Hibs these days is upbeat and positive about what is happening to our club. The signings this season have been excellent although we have been unlucky on the injury front. Once the league campaign is under way and we are seriously challenging for the title then I think more lapsed fans will return. There is a feel good factor about the place that's been missing for too many years. On the pitch is ultimately where it counts and we have yet to see several new signings make their first appearances. The future is looking good and I feel sure that our crowds will rise accordingly. Most clubs in Scotland can only wish they had the infrastructure, facilities and organisation that we now have, not to mention our financial position as well. As someone else has said, once we are back in the premier we can expect to attract 15,000 every week. It's up to us to keep turning up to make this happen. Support the team - all of them, and we can win this.

This is how attendances work...when the team are doing well and winning, playing a decent standard of football, exciting to watch and are at the right end of the table, attendance is usually high for example hearts and particularly aberdeen in the past couple seasons. Attendances are usually low when a team is not where it should be i.e us just now. If we are battling it out with rangers this season all the way to the end I expect there to be a rise in attendance leading up to the end of the season. So let's not use the attendance from the weekend as a marker.

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Winning this league will improve crowds for next season, FFS we could sign Ronaldo right now and i doubt crowds would go up much folk are seeing the club in this league for 2 seasons in a row, it will take an awful lot to get back lapsed supporters.