hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Defence

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many games won and goals scored last season, it's not that we don't know it's the fact they've sussed us out with 4-4-2 diamond, we cannot play 4 at the back with two flying wingbacks leaving space like they did, unless we play a DM. 3-5-2 has the back 3 covering for the wingbacks allowing the midfield to be more adventurous and the wingbacks to go forward. Hanlon was doing ok sitting just in front of the other two CH's and we looked comfortable, it all went bad when Forster went off and we reverted to 4-4-2 diamond,no DM and midfielders all over the place. 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would've worked against Rangers but we don't have the personnel right now. Until we get a full fit team out it's gonna be a struggle, still looks like we are thin on the ground players wise, even with a couple of mids seemingly coming in, the youngdters don't look ready and we have Stanton and Harris who both seem to have stagnated.
    I know JC but in the 0-2 game and even in our 1-0 win Wallace had the freedom of ER.
    I see this as a blip (big one) but definitely recoverable.

Barring his goal Stanton didn't do anything. I also thought Martin, after a steady start fell out of the game.

Not sure how far away our injured players are but the sooner they are back the better.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    I know JC but in the 0-2 game and even in our 1-0 win Wallace had the freedom of ER.
    I see this as a blip (big one) but definitely recoverable.

Barring his goal Stanton didn't do anything. I also thought Martin, after a steady start fell out of the game.

Not sure how far away our injured players are but the sooner they are back the better.

Just listened to his after game interview, said no one will leave this squad and he's looking to add to it, maybe couple new faces next week but definitely before Aug 8th, Carmichael, Bartley and Keatings to start training next week.

Re Wallace in those games, Gray was not fit, just back from injury and TBH I thought a lot of the team looked jaded plus Rangers had a better manager who organised them batter. Wait till we get our full team out with a couple of different players in there.

Just listened to his after game interview, said no one will leave this squad and he's looking to add to it, maybe couple new faces next week but definitely before Aug 8th, Carmichael, Bartley and Keatings to start training next week. Re Wallace in those games, Gray was not fit, just back from injury and TBH I thought a lot of the team looked jaded plus Rangers had a better manager who organised them batter. Wait till we get our full team out with a couple of different players in there.
    We will see re players out. I suspect a couple of the younger players might go out on loan.

I think once we get them all back the squad looks ok. Still think we are 2 MF players down and wonder if we will see a replacement in the SA mould, should he be permitted to leave??

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    We will see re players out. I suspect a couple of the younger players might go out on loan.

I think once we get them all back the squad looks ok. Still think we are 2 MF players down and wonder if we will see a replacement in the SA mould, should he be permitted to leave??

I think he was meaning more being sold rather than loans, he sounded resolute regarding players leaving, stipulated the fact abut 3 times, to me that means Allan is staying. If we can get McGinn and McGeouch then we'd be fine midfield wise but we still need cover at the back.

How many games won and goals scored last season, it's not that we don't know it's the fact they've sussed us out with 4-4-2 diamond, we cannot play 4 at the back with two flying wingbacks leaving space like they did, unless we play a DM. 3-5-2 has the back 3 covering for the wingbacks allowing the midfield to be more adventurous and the wingbacks to go forward.

Hanlon was doing ok sitting just in front of the other two CH's and we looked comfortable, it all went bad when Forster went off and we reverted to 4-4-2 diamond,no DM and midfielders all over the place.

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would've worked against Rangers but we don't have the personnel right now.

Until we get a full fit team out it's gonna be a struggle, still looks like we are thin on the ground players wise, even with a couple of mids seemingly coming in, the youngdters don't look ready and we have Stanton and Harris who both seem to have stagnated.
    I've saw a few folk mention how it all went wrong when Forster went off. But we'd already managed to lose 3 goals by that point, in the space of 7 or 8 minutes.

We can talk about shape and formation and so on all day but if players give away stupid free kicks, don't follow runs, don't mark players in the middle of the six yard box then it all counts for nothing.

I think he was meaning more being sold rather than loans, he sounded resolute regarding players leaving, stipulated the fact abut 3 times, to me that means Allan is staying. If we can get McGinn and McGeouch then we'd be fine midfield wise but we still need cover at the back.
    I personally think SA is leaving but heay that's me.

I would be happy with Dylan and McGinn (not seen much to comment on tho).

Another CH is a must with injuries and suspensions.

I think there will be more coming and goings between now and end of transfer window. We need them in sooner rather than later tho!

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    I've saw a few folk mention how it all went wrong when Forster went off. But we'd already managed to lose 3 goals by that point, in the space of 7 or 8 minutes.

We can talk about shape and formation and so on all day but if players give away stupid free kicks, don't follow runs, don't mark players in the middle of the six yard box then it all counts for nothing.
    You're probably right, Forster was posted missing too but I don't think it was the shape at that time, more just down to basic schoolboy errors again. We looked even worse when we went 4 at the back

I think it is missing the point to look for one person to scapegoat and point the finger at for yesterday's performance.

We'd defended quite well for about 40 minutes and the biggest criticism you could make was that we gave away a couple of cheap corners.

The capitulation that followed was unexpected, inexcusable and really pretty worrying. It would be great if we could just blame it all on Oxley, Hanlon, Fontaine or whoever but the truth is that the goalkeeper, every defender and even the midfield had a horror show defensively yesterday. It might have been excusable if it was our first friendly against a better standard of opposition but it wasn't. It was our first competitive fixture against our biggest rivals and we fell so short it was frightening.

EVERY one of them was to blame and EVERY one of them needs to buck up their ideas. Fortunately, for all they were poor I have seen all of them do much better than that individually and collectively in the past so I would hope that if they buck their ideas up they will improve.

We definitely need to bring in bodies to push them on though. No player should be allowed to be complacent, take their place in the team for granted or expect to get away with a performance like yesterday more than once in a blue moon.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I think it is missing the point to look for one person to scapegoat and point the finger at for yesterday's performance.

We'd defended quite well for about 40 minutes and the biggest criticism you could make was that we gave away a couple of cheap corners.

The capitulation that followed was unexpected, inexcusable and really pretty worrying. It would be great if we could just blame it all on Oxley, Hanlon, Fontaine or whoever but the truth is that the goalkeeper, every defender and even the midfield had a horror show defensively yesterday. It might have been excusable if it was our first friendly against a better standard of opposition but it wasn't. It was our first competitive fixture against our biggest rivals and we fell so short it was frightening.

EVERY one of them was to blame and EVERY one of them needs to buck up their ideas. Fortunately, for all they were poor I have seen all of them do much better than that individually and collectively in the past so I would hope that if they buck their ideas up they will improve.

We definitely need to bring in bodies to push them on though. No player should be allowed to be complacent, take their place in the team for granted or expect to get away with a performance like yesterday more than once in a blue moon.
    Good post. Few more bodies to keep everyone on their toes is what's needed.

Re Wallace in those games, Gray was not fit, just back from injury and TBH I thought a lot of the team looked jaded
    How can a lot of the team look (or be) jaded in what was their first competitive game of the season?

If so, that's worrying. Jaded means tired out or lacking enthusiasm after having too much of something.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    How can a lot of the team look (or be) jaded in what was their first competitive game of the season?

If so, that's worrying. Jaded means tired out or lacking enthusiasm after having too much of something.

Look at the post again, I was answering about the end of last seasons play off games.

Look at the post again, I was answering about the end of last seasons play off games.
    My mistake, sorry. I wasn't having a dig at you BTW, just misread.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald green View Post
    My mistake, sorry. I wasn't having a dig at you BTW, just misread.