hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Defence

Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WTF if you want to have a go at Fontaine start one and stop trying to be a smart arse.
    He's hardly a smart arse - more like someone clueless who can't assess an effective defender over 90 mins, over a season or over several seasons.. Wildly defensive comments accepting continuing mediocrity and our current worst ever in history position.....embarrassing really..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Auld Git View Post
    Gave away a needless and stupid foul in an extremly dangerous position which led to their equaliser. I know that rangers still had a lot to do to score, but score they did - as a direct result from this stupid free kick. Now I am not a Hanlon basher by any stretch of the imagination [ I defy anyone to find a post from me prior to today slating him], but he should be experienced enough by now not to have conceeded that free kick.
    In the after match post mortem Craig Patterson made that very point and he is a balanced commentator .

Quote Originally Posted by peter douglas View Post
    Too many balls into the box weren't dealt with. They need to be stopped at source and if they aren't we need to be sharper as a unit.
    Peter Houston kept telling us that last season so I would have assumed we had been working on that defensively ,but wnen our shape and confidence goes any ball into the box can result in a goal

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yekim evol
    It was the whole team today that was the issue you defend as an entire unit, the midfield did not support the defence that is my issue. Then theres the basic bit of not giving the ball away to the opponents, far to many times today passes were over and under cooked giving the receivers massive issues even if it got to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    He's hardly a smart arse - more like someone clueless who can't assess an effective defender over 90 mins, over a season or over several seasons.. Wildly defensive comments accepting continuing mediocrity and our current worst ever in history position.....embarrassing really..
    I'll take a wee step away from the forum for a while. Far too many people commenting on things they know nothing about. Bit they all know more than any manager we've had in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    I'll take a wee step away from the forum for a while. Far too many people commenting on things they know nothing about. Bit they all know more than any manager we've had in recent years.
    All those successful managers?

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Haha. Where is the Fontaine thread?
    Hanlon can do no wrong, we know this. now deflect the blame to someone else and absolve Hanlon of any of the blame in a defence that conceded 6 goals.

Its time we got rid of him and Stevenson, both are just not up to taking us forward as a team. All the back 4 or 5 when Hanlon went back were pish today, both these players are a constant in why we concede SO many ****y goals.

I know this wont be popular with some, but open your bloody eyes. These 2 are still making the same mistakes they made when they first broke into the team, and these mistakes are in the bloody 2nd division now.

Tbf Hanlon played most of the game as a dm but all goals we conceded where poor and he is part of the defensive unit

The whole team are a bunch of none bloody tacklers that's our problem.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Half Pint View Post
    The whole team are a bunch of none bloody tacklers that's our problem.
    Stanton for me had an absolute howler second half - at one point, at 6-2, he won a tackle in our box.......only to be stupidly 'out muscled' seconds later.....did the hard bit, yet was so slow and weak the next.

That for me is an issue Hibs have to deal with - the strength of the youngsters - they come in and look very weak physically for pro footballers. They may be easy on the eye in their age group but for me you have to start working on their physical game, in Scotland, early - Brown, Whittaker, Thommo, even Fletch.......yes they were young and developing but they all had right good dig and strength.

Our youngsters look like they would blow away in a strong wind. I was very very surprised at how slow and weak Sam looked today as the game wore on - I was at one point embarrassed for him (sadly).

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    Hanlon can do no wrong, we know this. now deflect the blame to someone else and absolve Hanlon of any of the blame in a defence that conceded 6 goals.

Its time we got rid of him and Stevenson, both are just not up to taking us forward as a team. All the back 4 or 5 when Hanlon went back were pish today, both these players are a constant in why we concede SO many ****y goals.

I know this wont be popular with some, but open your bloody eyes. These 2 are still making the same mistakes they made when they first broke into the team, and these mistakes are in the bloody 2nd division now.
    Tend to agree.

Coaching Staff
    Paul Hanlon's tackle for the first was atypical of him - he doesn't think at times and he needs to really really sharpen up - Gray was covering to his right and Templeton was moving away from goal. Touch tight, no rushing in. It was a schoolboy tackle which sadly he has in his game. Hibs were comfortable up to that point. Fine margins.

But Hanlon is clearly being picked out. Explain why.
    Seriously? He's outmuscled most games and makes mistakes.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby 2005 View Post
    To be fair however, first half there were three occasions where we conceded needless corners......Gray culpable for on if I recall (and Fontaine rightly gave him pelters), Forster another (not using his other foot.......huge bug bear of mine that pros can't use either foot under pressure) and then I think Stevenson........Hanlon's only error first half was the one that led to the first. And things like that change complexions of games.

He was excellent last season but against poor opposition most weeks. In the SPL I would tend to agree, Hanlon would get found out more often than not - however today all our team were found out.

As Stubbs said, glad it was today in a comp that doesn't mean anything.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    What did Hanlon do wrong today? Strong in the tackle, coming forward with the ball, good distribution. What goal was he at fault for?

Fontaine was murder today.
    The centre halves play as a double act. If one is poor then the other has to step up and bail the other out
    Today both were brutal tbh

United we stand here....

Superb. Your patronising comments about other people having no idea about football are utterly ridiculous.

What did Hanlon do wrong today? Strong in the tackle, coming forward with the ball, good distribution. What goal was he at fault for?

Fontaine was murder today.
    Hanlon looked solid for the first 20 mins and then he made that ridiculous tackle which led to the huns equalising. He also failed to stick a tackle in for their 2nd.

However, it would be incredibly stupid to pin it all on Hanlon, the whole defence were awful

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Correct anywhere in our penalty box hanlon is very weak always has been...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibby 2005 View Post

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Correct anywhere in our penalty box hanlon is very weak always has been...

That's horse ****.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    That's horse ****.
    Ok he is franz Beckenbauer

@hibs.net private member

Come on now...he's much more pacey than Beckenbauer.....he's at least 70 now

This 100%

Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Paul Hanlon's tackle for the first was atypical of him - he doesn't think at times and he needs to really really sharpen up - Gray was covering to his right and Templeton was moving away from goal. Touch tight, no rushing in. It was a schoolboy tackle which sadly he has in his game. Hibs were comfortable up to that point. Fine margins.
    I think this sums it up very well IMHO especially the bit in bold. Another foot or so and Collum would have given a penalty.

As it turned out, it was practically as good as a penalty, and that equaliser turned the whole game around, aided and abetted by a pub team goal number three.

I'm not singling Hanlon out. Defensively, Hibs were a total mess yesterday.

A substitute comes on (Miller FFS) and helps himself to a further two goals.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    That's horse ****.
    He does get out muscled very often, for a CH he isnt very big

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Auld Git View Post
    Gave away a needless and stupid foul in an extremly dangerous position which led to their equaliser. I know that rangers still had a lot to do to score, but score they did - as a direct result from this stupid free kick. Now I am not a Hanlon basher by any stretch of the imagination [ I defy anyone to find a post from me prior to today slating him], but he should be experienced enough by now not to have conceeded that free kick.
    Totally agree.

It was indeed a needless foul from an experienced defender.

I can only assume he got 'caught up in the moment" for some reason as it appeared deliberate as opposed to clumsy.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Good yin you.

Makes one horse **** point, backs it up with another. Genius.

'S' Form
    Quote Originally Posted by bill the hibby View Post
    Aye I'm a hibby, a hibby who's just sat and watched his team getting pumped 6-2 by our biggest rivals this season. Defence was posted missing for the 2nd half
    You where spot on bill especially re stevenson

Hanlon played MF until Forster got injured. As a collective only Cunmings for me can be devoid of criticism IMHO!

We capitulated big time and we still haven't learnt how to play against Der Hun.

Their 2 best players were Wallace and Travenier who strolled it... Wallace once again got the freedom of ER.

No complaints from me as we were poor al l round bar Cummings.

Folk have once again picked out Hanlon & Stevenson but what about the rest??

We had at least 5 players missing from the starting line up so I would say we get right back in the horse sort to speak and do the business next week.

But for folk to pick on 2 specific players is really pathetic and predictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    Hanlon played MF until Forster got injured. As a collective only Cunmings for me can be devoid of criticism IMHO!

We capitulated big time and we still haven't learnt how to play against Der Hun.

Their 2 best players were Wallace and Travenier who strolled it... Wallace once again got the freedom of ER.

No complaints from me as we were poor al l round bar Cummings.

Folk have once again picked out Hanlon & Stevenson but what about the rest??

We had at least 5 players missing from the starting line up so I would say we get right back in the horse sort to speak and do the business next week.

But for folk to pick on 2 specific players is really pathetic and predictable.

How many games won and goals scored last season, it's not that we don't know it's the fact they've sussed us out with 4-4-2 diamond, we cannot play 4 at the back with two flying wingbacks leaving space like they did, unless we play a DM. 3-5-2 has the back 3 covering for the wingbacks allowing the midfield to be more adventurous and the wingbacks to go forward.

Hanlon was doing ok sitting just in front of the other two CH's and we looked comfortable, it all went bad when Forster went off and we reverted to 4-4-2 diamond,no DM and midfielders all over the place.

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 would've worked against Rangers but we don't have the personnel right now.

Until we get a full fit team out it's gonna be a struggle, still looks like we are thin on the ground players wise, even with a couple of mids seemingly coming in, the youngdters don't look ready and we have Stanton and Harris who both seem to have stagnated.