hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Defence

Defence

Simply put Hanlon is never good enough, he has been a regular starter in our decline since 2007, ive never rated him. Heard someone else claim that fontaine was the best we've had since Jones, wake up, the guys playing the likes of alloa and Dumbarton, plays against half decent players today and looked in no mans land. Stevenson signing an extension never filled me with much excitement, average player who looks good in the championship. David grey is the best of the bunch but he's been nowhere near as good as he was at the start of the season. I don't understand why stubbs hasn't attempted to freshen up the defence but today imo has shown its nowhere good enough.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Bill, you're no' much of a Hibby.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bill the hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simply put Hanlon is never good enough, he has been a regular starter in our decline since 2007, ive never rated him. Heard someone else claim that fontaine was the best we've had since Jones, wake up, the guys playing the likes of alloa and Dumbarton, plays against half decent players today and looked in no mans land. Stevenson signing an extension never filled me with much excitement, average player who looks good in the championship. David grey is the best of the bunch but he's been nowhere near as good as he was at the start of the season. I don't understand why stubbs hasn't attempted to freshen up the defence but today imo has shown its nowhere good enough.

I'd have Hanlon in before Foster every day of the week...More mobile, better on the ball and quicker....

Quote Originally Posted by craigmounthibby View Post
    Bill, you're no' much of a Hibby.
    Aye I'm a hibby, a hibby who's just sat and watched his team getting pumped 6-2 by our biggest rivals this season. Defence was posted missing for the 2nd half

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I'd have Hanlon in before Foster every day of the week...More mobile, better on the ball and quicker....
    Never mentioned Foster cause lets face it the guys out injured all the time, injured in our last competitive game of last season, injured in the first competitive game of this season

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Stubbs out

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You can't slate Hanlon and Stevenson on here Bill

Quote Originally Posted by carnoustiehibee View Post
    I've noticed, god knows why, the two of them are bang average and that was shown today.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by carnoustiehibee View Post

I'm a Stevenson fan, have got into many debates on here defending him. He was poor today, actually he was equally poor last week at Dunfermline. He will have to improve or else he will deservedly be out of the team...Hanlon to me had a good first half sitting in front of the defence, The were others worse than him in defensive roles today..He would be nowhere near the first I would be concerned about.

What did Hanlon do wrong today? Strong in the tackle, coming forward with the ball, good distribution. What goal was he at fault for?

Fontaine was murder today.

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    What did Hanlon do wrong today? Strong in the tackle, coming forward with the ball, good distribution. What goal was he at fault for?

The defensive side our squad in general just isn't good enough

I've noticed, god knows why, the two of them are bang average and that was shown today.
    You are spot on mate,been saying for years to guys that sit next to me,we will go nowhere with guys like Hanlon and Stevenson-very ordinary players who will give goals away every other week.

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    I'm a Stevenson fan, have got into many debates on here defending him. He was poor today, actually he was equally poor last week at Dunfermline. He will have to improve or else he will deservedly be out of the team...Hanlon to me had a good first half sitting in front of the defence, The were others worse than him in defensive roles today..He would be nowhere near the first I would be concerned about.

As well as stevenson did last season, i thought we needed to improve at left back.. He is a good option to have in the squad but i felt we needed more in an attacking sense at left back this season. The goalie is simply nowhere near good enough, and i think we need better than Hanlon.. I understand our other forwards are injured but Malonga isnt good enough either

The defensive side our squad in general just isn't good enough
    But Hanlon is clearly being picked out. Explain why.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    They werent geat today but that back 4 and keeper had one of the best stats in scotland last year, again cant defend them for todays game but over the course of a season they will again stroll the 1st division imo

Aye strong in the tackle. Like when he booted the boy up in the air when he was going no where to concede a needless free kick. Silly mistake. They score.

He had been good up until then though I'll give you that.

He then went back in to centre half when Forster went off and was part of a collective unit that lost a further 3 goals.

Can you never accept any criticism of him? Nobody on that pitch gets pass marks when you've just had a result like that.

Left by mutual consent!
    Defence were dodgy. But the midfield left them exposed

@hibs.net private member Leith Green's Avatar
    Oh and the ball retention of our forwards is a complete joke..!

First Team Breakthrough
    Last season the Hanlon Fontaine partnership was one of the positives for me, breaking that up to accommodate forster was a mistake. I like Stevenson but we need a left back that van defend, pity we didn't get holt from Qos

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Aye strong in the tackle. Like when he booted the boy up in the air when he was going no where to concede a needless free kick away. Silly mistake. They score.

He had been good up until then though I'll give you that.

He then went back in to centre half when Forster went off and was part of a collective unit that lost a further 3 goals.

Can you never accept any criticism of him? Nobody on that pitch gets pass marks when you've just had a result like that.
    Which goal was he at fault for in the 2nd half. I'd like to know for my own education.

Coaching Staff

Sorry underscore I thought he and the whole backline combined were poor today - the midfield balance was wrong too which didn't help until Allan came on, no one keen to keep the ball.

Hanlon was at fault for the first - no doubt about it and he does it often. There was no need to trip the player, just shadow and stay touch tight. For the second the centre halves were not marking anyone - they only had one player in that box to mark. Fontaine and Hanlon seemed to lack communication today.

It was a game where everything they hit went in have to say - you get games like that. Looking back on the chances we created first half we should have been going in two goals up. Composure was lacking - and a right foot as good as his left (Stanton).

That midfield combination today will never be seen again this season either - was my main worry pre-game. We need creative players centrally and we need Boyle and Carmichael back soon as anything.......Tavernier could have smoked a cigar today and put a deck chair up second half. No one prepared to go outside him.

Which goal was he at fault for in the 2nd half. I'd like to know for my own education.
    As I said. Part of a collective unit. Paul, I understand you're hurting after today's result but please don't take the criticism all to heart. Your mate Liam wasn't any better.

As I said. Part of a collective unit. Paul, I understand you're hurting after today's result but please don't take the criticism all to heart. Your mate Liam wasn't any better.
    chortle chortle. so nothing then.

But Hanlon is clearly being picked out. Explain why.
    If you'd like to go back and look at my OP you'll find he isn't the only one being picked out, I picked out the back 4. You're the one who picked Hanlon out.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Sorry underscore I thought he and the whole backline combined were poor today - the midfield balance was wrong too which didn't help until Allan came on, no one keen to keep the ball.

Hanlon was at fault for the first - no doubt about it and he does it often. There was no need to trip the player, just shadow and stay touch tight. For the second the centre halves were not marking anyone - they only had one player in that box to mark. Fontaine and Hanlon seemed to lack communication today.

It was a game where everything they hit went in have to say - you get games like that. Looking back on the chances we created first half we should have been going in two goals up. Composure was lacking - and a right foot as good as his left (Stanton).

That midfield combination today will never be seen again this season either - was my main worry pre-game. We need creative players centrally and we need Boyle and Carmichael back soon as anything.......Tavernier could have smoked a cigar today and put a deck chair up second half. No one prepared to go outside him.
    Saved me from thinking what to say...excellent summary. I think mine would have been a bit angrier though...

@hibs.net private member
    He doesn't need to have made any glaring mistakes to have had a bad game. Part of a defence that lost goals that were all so avoidable

chortle chortle. so nothing then.
    You originally said he wasn't at fault for any goals. You don't seem to have commented on the needless free kick?

I'd have to see the goals all again to be honest. As I said you could probably pick out 3 or 4 individuals in each. Just not poor wee Paul eh.

You originally said he wasn't at fault for any goals. You don't seem to have commented on the needless free kick?

I'd have to see the goals all again to be honest. As I said you could probably pick out 3 or 4 individuals in each. Just not poor wee Paul eh.
    Needless? The boy was on the edge of the box and no challenge had been put in - he tried to make a challenge and mis-timed it. If the midfielders had challenged when the ball was out left he wouldn't have needed to make it.

Fontaine and Gray were particularly poor second half and Ox chucking them in didn't help. I thought Stevenson was poor and if we hadn't been forced into 2 subs through injury might have made way. Hanlon was good in the first half in the sweeper role but was susceptible when he went back to CH but would still have said he scored higher than the other 4 at the back.

Was impressed by Fyvie and Cummings first half as well as Hanlon. Stanton does something good followed by something daft (wants too much time on the ball). Martin started well and then faded and Lewis Allan is not ready for first team yet, too be fair never saw too much to suggest he ever will, can't get a piece of paper under him when he jumps but hope I am wrong.

Warburton must have put something in their water . Very slow mentally but at least they can only improve.

Gave away a needless and stupid foul in an extremly dangerous position which led to their equaliser. I know that rangers still had a lot to do to score, but score they did - as a direct result from this stupid free kick. Now I am not a Hanlon basher by any stretch of the imagination [ I defy anyone to find a post from me prior to today slating him], but he should be experienced enough by now not to have conceeded that free kick.