hibs.net Messageboard

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HibsMax

Golf launch monitors

I was demoing a TaylorMade AeroBurner recently and even though it was slightly longer and straighter than my super fast 2.0, the distance seemed quite a bit off. Do you guys trust those distances?

I took my old driver with me for comparison which is how I know the aero burner was longer, but my drives were recording about 220 and I know when I catch it right it goes 20 yards farther than that. More with a favorable fairway. I'll judge when I'm on the course but I figured I would ask the question.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by HibsMax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was demoing a TaylorMade AeroBurner recently and even though it was slightly longer and straighter than my super fast 2.0, the distance seemed quite a bit off. Do you guys trust those distances?

I took my old driver with me for comparison which is how I know the aero burner was longer, but my drives were recording about 220 and I know when I catch it right it goes 20 yards farther than that. More with a favorable fairway. I'll judge when I'm on the course but I figured I would ask the question.
    I think the only acid test is the course.

I drove a par 4 recently - yard off an ace as it just missed and settled behind the hole - at 252 yds. I couldn't have hit it better. Made the eagle

Yet I think my best on a monitor is 270+ (repeatedly) so I take them with a pinch..

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by ** T * Q * M ** View Post
    I think the only acid test is the course.

I drove a par 4 recently - yard off an ace as it just missed and settled behind the hole - at 252 yds. I couldn't have hit it better. Made the eagle

Yet I think my best on a monitor is 270+ (repeatedly) so I take them with a pinch..
    That's what my findings have been a well. My local course is a little hacker-ish and doesn't have reliable yardages so it's tricky to tell on the course, but I've done some guesstimating using Google Maps. The guy in the shop said they are pretty reliable but I hit some peaches in there only to see the ball go 200. I know for a fact that my really good drives go a lot farther than that, but I'm not consistently hitting those drives. The 9th hole at my local is 200 yards with a green that slopes away from you and I hit through that, sometimes with my 5-wood. Sick that pros hit their 5-irons that far!

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Almost without exception, Club golfers think that they hit the ball a lot further than they actually do. A drive of 220 yards + is very respectable and it's what happens thereafter that really counts.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Bear View Post
    Almost without exception, Club golfers think that they hit the ball a lot further than they actually do. A drive of 220 yards + is very respectable and it's what happens thereafter that really counts.
    I agree 100%; the guy in the store said the same thing. I don't consider my best drives to be my average drive, I know some people get caught up in that. In my case I just know, or felt, that I made some really solid contact only to see the ball limp to 200. I don't trust the driving range either since they use those crappy range balls.

You're right about the "what happens thereafter", and I know I have a LOT of improvement to make there. I'm trying not to get caught up in the driver hype since that's less than 18 shots per round, but you have to work on something. For the first time in my life I'm actually trying to work on my mechanics, which is difficult since I've hacked away for 30 years without any instruction.