hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

England and sectarianism

England are showing how it should be done re sectarianism by handing Kirk Broadfoot (remember him?) a ten-game ban for anti-Catholic abuse against James McClean in a friendly.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...handed-6127136

Wonder how long a ban he'd be given if he was still playing for the Huns?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Well done the FA.

Wish we took such a firm stance on sectarianism, but then that would mean punishing Celtic and Sevco.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well done the FA.

Wish we took such a firm stance on sectarianism, but then that would mean punishing Celtic and Sevco.

@hibs.net private member
    "Broadfoot was born into a Protestant family in Ayrshire and is known to be a staunch supporters of certain cultural traditions relating to his religion."

Sfa probably think it is probably okay then.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    says everything about the type of person kirk clubfoot is, i've thought for years now that our neighbours over the border must think this country is truly backwards when it comes to religious bigotry

Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    "Broadfoot was born into a Protestant family in Ayrshire and is known to be a staunch supporters of certain cultural traditions relating to his religion."

Whatever could they mean?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Del Boy View Post
    Well done the FA.

Yep dealt with in the way it should be in a normal society. Broadfoot shown as a complete cretin.

Broadfoot is a bellend and has rightly been punished.. Something just doesn't fit right with that cock James MacLean being painted as a victim though. Hes a horrible human being

Quote Originally Posted by liamh2202 View Post
    Broadfoot is a bellend and has rightly been punished.. Something just doesn't fit right with that cock James MacLean being painted as a victim though. Hes a horrible human being
    He certainly does go out of his way to make a point. All he had to do was face a flag yet he felt it appropriate to make a point. Pathetic.

@hibs.net private member
    If he is suffering bigoted abuse then he , in this case . is a victim surely ?

@hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    And how often does he practise his religion e.g attend church, open a Bible etc? Another ramjet.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    If he is suffering bigoted abuse then he , in this case . is a victim surely ?
    I would agree if he never done anything to aggrevate the situation. Doesn't excuse broadfoots actions but MacLean is a knob who is just as bigoted as broadfoot

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    He certainly does go out of his way to make a point. All he had to do was face a flag yet he felt it appropriate to make a point. Pathetic.
    What was pathetic about it? Why should people just go along with stuff they don't agree with? The British national anthem being played at a club friendly, what the **** is that all about? If they played it at Easter Road for a club game I would hope we would boo it.

He only turned his back which I think given his history is an entirely appropriate protest. A certain type of Britishness is being forced on us all at the moment and I think it is right to resist it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post
    What was pathetic about it? Why should people just go along with stuff they don't agree with? The British national anthem being played at a club friendly, what the **** is that all about? If they played it at Easter Road for a club game I would hope we would boo it.

He only turned his back which I think given his history is an entirely appropriate protest. A certain type of Britishness is being forced on us all at the moment and I think it is right to resist it.
    No one asked him to sing it just show a bit if respect to the country that he is making a living in and also the American anthem as well. Hardly a big deal I would have thought. No type of Britishness was forced on anyone in this instance. No doubt WBA have players from all over the world some of which may have issues from history with Britain some who will not. Attention seeking of the worst kind IMO.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    England are showing how it should be done re sectarianism by handing Kirk Broadfoot (remember him?) a ten-game ban for anti-Catholic abuse against James McClean in a friendly.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...handed-6127136

Wonder how long a ban he'd be given if he was still playing for the Huns?
    Yet more evidence of why football in England doesn't need any of the bigot twins joining the gravy train.

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Sectarianism in general was one of the reasons I " stopped doing religion " 35 years ago
    I saw it at work and socially and waited and waited for the " establishment"" to condemn it - Not a squeak !
    Religion = hypocrisy sadly

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    No one asked him to sing it just show a bit if respect to the country that he is making a living in and also the American anthem as well. Hardly a big deal I would have thought. No type of Britishness was forced on anyone in this instance. No doubt WBA have players from all over the world some of which may have issues from history with Britain some who will not. Attention seeking of the worst kind IMO.
    *** anthems, minute silences for everything and everyone, troops marching about the place.

When did fitba became some nationalist pantomime.

Fair play to him. You get ejjits shouting from the rooftops they fought for your free speech. Then whinging like **** when the lad uses that free speech to not wear a poppy or in this case not be upstanding for the british national anthem. Couldn't make it up

Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    *** anthems, minute silences for everything and everyone, troops marching about the place.

Fair play to him. You get ejjits shouting from the rooftops they fought for your free speech. Then whinging like **** when the lad uses that free speech to not wear a poppy or in this case not be upstanding for the british national anthem. Couldn't make it up
    The game was in America.

@hibs.net private member NORTHERNHIBBY's Avatar
    No sure that it is true to say that this comes from a protestant culture. Comes from the racists and bigots within that culture who look to twist things

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post

... but he feels it's okay to work in a country of which he doesn't approve?

Quote Originally Posted by Vini1875 View Post

Vinni, this seems to be the norm in the US, even though it's probably stupid to most of us. They play their own national anthem before loads of sporting and other events (even concerts!).

Even though I thnk it's daft, there was nothing to stop the guy just standing with his head bowed, instead of making a point of turning away.

FWIW, I support his right not to wear a Poppy, if he so chooses. I think this forced poppy wearing is a total nonsense and it should be up to the individual whether they wear one or not. I've never worn a Poppy but I'm not going to go into the reason why (suffice it to say, it has nothing to do with the Northern Irish sectarian divide). It's my choice and no one should force someone else to make a gesture purely for good PR.

I can't believe we had that bigot on our books!

Its been a good couple of weeks since we had one of these threads. Popcorn time.

Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post
    says everything about the type of person kirk clubfoot is, i've thought for years now that our neighbours over the border must think this country is truly backwards when it comes to religious bigotry
    We do - especially those of us from Scotland.

I would agree if he never done anything to aggrevate the situation. Doesn't excuse broadfoots actions but MacLean is a knob who is just as bigoted as broadfoot
    It not religion it's tribalism.

Refusing to toe the party line doesn't make you a bigot. Conscientious objection isn't a crime outside of wartime.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    ... but he feels it's okay to work in a country of which he doesn't approve?

I don't approve of the British government, should I leave the country then? As for the USA, I won't even begin.

Broadfoot is getting what he deserves. Shame our own football authorities lack the bawz to take a similar stance.

I've no time for Kirk Broadfoot as a player and if he said something out of order then he deserves a punishment (i say "if" because the article doesn't actually specify what he said) however I really cannot stand James McClean.

If I hated a country as much as James McClean appears to hate the UK, I wouldn't live and work in that country.

No-one asked him to sing GSTQ before that match, just to show a wee bit of decorum and he couldn't even manage that. Instead he acted like a fool and brought all the attention on himself. If that was an isolated incident then you could maybe forgive him but he also had all the carry on with the refusal to wear a poppy on his jersey for Remembrance Day.

He needs to grow up.

Quote Originally Posted by keekaboo View Post
    Whatever could they mean?
    Is that a polite way of saying he's a big dirty orange *******?

@hibs.net private member
    You have to judge actions at the time - he suffered sectarian abuse ...he deserves support - if he was the abuser , then likewise he would deserve to be punished. In this case , he was the victim