hibs.net Messageboard

Thread: Amir Khan

Amir Khan

I take in interest in boxing but far from an expert.

However, is Khan for real with some of the things he says about Mayweather?!

Can someone enlighten me?!

2. Log in to remove the advert

He is trying to make his money. Money would slap him down early.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I take in interest in boxing but far from an expert.

However, is Khan for real with some of the things he says about Mayweather?!

Can someone enlighten me?!
    One thing about him is his fights are always good to watch. I can't help but think that Mayweather would grind him down though.

United we stand here....

Khan would be a tough fight for Mayweather. I don't get where a lot of people's confidence comes that he would be stopped early comes from. Floyd has stopped 2 fighters (Hatton and Ortiz) in 8 years and only 3 in 10 years. His hands being so fragile and his choice of Grant gloves makes throwing enough heavy punches to score KOs difficult for him.

Khan is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe and he's improved again under Virgil Hunter. He's an elite level fighter. His handspeed is immense, faster than Floyd who is lightning, he throws huge volume of punches and he's huge physically.

Whilst Mayweather would be an overwhelming favourite and over 12 rounds would likely beat Khan by UD it would be a hard nights work. That's why Floyd does n't want the fight, over the last 18 years he's earned the right to a gimme for his swansong and that's not Khan.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member silverhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Khan would be a tough fight for Mayweather. I don't get where a lot of people's confidence comes that he would be stopped early comes from. Floyd has stopped 2 fighters (Hatton and Ortiz) in 8 years and only 3 in 10 years. His hands being so fragile and his choice of Grant gloves makes throwing enough heavy punches to score KOs difficult for him.

Khan is nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe and he's improved again under Virgil Hunter. He's an elite level fighter. His handspeed is immense, faster than Floyd who is lightning, he throws huge volume of punches and he's huge physically.

Whilst Mayweather would be an overwhelming favourite and over 12 rounds would likely beat Khan by UD it would be a hard nights work. That's why Floyd does n't want the fight, over the last 18 years he's earned the right to a gimme for his swansong and that's not Khan.
    Do you think Mayweather would come to England to fight Khan, would be a massive crowd puller and something Mayweather would maybe like to fight in front of a 50,000 crowd, has he ever left the USA to defend his titles in front of a massive crowd, would also be a massive pay day for him which he would be happy with since he has a liking for the dosh.

Quote Originally Posted by silverhibee View Post
    Do you think Mayweather would come to England to fight Khan, would be a massive crowd puller and something Mayweather would maybe like to fight in front of a 50,000 crowd, has he ever left the USA to defend his titles in front of a massive crowd, would also be a massive pay day for him which he would be happy with since he has a liking for the dosh.
    He always said he wanted a UK fight, preferably. Wembley, but I think there were tax issues which put him off.

His last fight is a certaintity to be at the MGM imo, whether Spetember is his last is another matter, we've been here twice before with a Floyd retirement.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Testimonial Due
    Khan is desperate for the Mayweather fight on September 12th so is trash talking in the press, that's all. He obviously wants the huge payday that comes with fighting floyd and the opportunity to test himself against the best. Rumours this week that Mayweather will instead fight Andre Berto on the 12th, in what he claims will be his last fight before retirement - as PB pointed out though we've been here before with Mayweather. Not sure I believe the rumours about the Berto fight. Regardless we'll probably find out in the next week or so as Floyd has already started training.

Quote Originally Posted by #FromTheCapital View Post
    Khan is desperate for the Mayweather fight on September 12th so is trash talking in the press, that's all. He obviously wants the huge payday that comes with fighting floyd and the opportunity to test himself against the best. Rumours this week that Mayweather will instead fight Andre Berto on the 12th, in what he claims will be his last fight before retirement - as PB pointed out though we've been here before with Mayweather. Not sure I believe the rumours about the Berto fight. Regardless we'll probably find out in the next week or so as Floyd has already started training.
    Andre Berto it is then.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Andre Berto it is then.
    Yes. Can't really comment on it myself as I've never seen Berto fight but the general reaction from fans and fellow fighters is one of disappointment. Looks like it's more of a foregone conclusion than it usually is when Mayweather fights. Berto has already lost to the likes of Victor Ortiz and Robert Guerrero who Mayweather defeated with ease

I think Mayweather is probably taking this easy fight to tee himself up for a much bigger fight next year, when he'll attempt to go 50-0 and beat Rocky Marciano's record,

Yes. Can't really comment on it myself as I've never seen Berto fight but the general reaction from fans and fellow fighters is one of disappointment. Looks like it's more of a foregone conclusion than it usually is when Mayweather fights. Berto has already lost to the likes of Victor Ortiz and Robert Guerrero who Mayweather defeated with ease

I think Mayweather is probably taking this easy fight to tee himself up for a much bigger fight next year, when he'll attempt to go 50-0 and beat Rocky Marciano's record,
    The problem Mayweather has is every fight is seen as an easy option as he's beat everyone in the division or beat someone who's beaten them. I've never seen Berto fight either so I can't comment on how good he is. I would have liked to see him fight Khan after Berto but I've got a feeling it will be Pacquaiou again.

United we stand here....

Testimonial Due
    The problem Mayweather has is every fight is seen as an easy option as he's beat everyone in the division or beat someone who's beaten them. I've never seen Berto fight either so I can't comment on how good he is. I would have liked to see him fight Khan after Berto but I've got a feeling it will be Pacquaiou again.
    Would've also liked to see a Khan Mayweather fight but I honestly can't see that happening anymore. He's dodged Khan 3 times now and there's now talk of a Khan v Brook super fight at Wembley next year.

The one fight Mayweather could take where he wouldn't be accused of running scared is Gennady Golovkin. The problem being that he'd need to move up in weight to make that fight and I can't see him doing that at this stage of his career. Would love to see it myself.

Would've also liked to see a Khan Mayweather fight but I honestly can't see that happening anymore. He's dodged Khan 3 times now and there's now talk of a Khan v Brook super fight at Wembley next year.

The one fight Mayweather could take where he wouldn't be accused of running scared is Gennady Golovkin. The problem being that he'd need to move up in weight to make that fight and I can't see him doing that at this stage of his career. Would love to see it myself.
    Khan v Brook would be a great fight. It would be like Froch v Groves again.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty

Mayweather hasn't "dodged Khan", he's decided on other fights. What's Amir Khan done to actually deserve a shot at Mayweather anyway? Not much. Yeah he's quick, and yeah he's a big lad, but he's not a great boxer by any means.

Khan should fight Kell Brook, and I think Brook will beat him.
    Last edited by easty; 06-08-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Mayweather hasn't "dodged Khan", he's decided on other fights. What's Amir Khan done to actually deserve a shot at Mayweather anyway? Not much. Yeah he's quick, and yeah he's a big lad, but he's not a great boxer by any means.

Khan should fight Kell Brook, and I think Brook will beat him.
    I didn't necessarily mean dodged in the context you're making out, but now you mention it - He's decided to fight a weaker opponent on this occasion so I'd say he has "dodged" Khan and several other potential opponents who are perceived to be better than Berto. What has Berto done to deserve a shot at Mayweather? He's lost 3 out of his last 6.
    Last edited by #FromTheCapital; 06-08-2015 at 01:19 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Khan v Brook would be a great fight. It would be like Froch v Groves again.
    Would like to see this as well

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    I didn't necessarily mean dodged in the context you're making out, but now you mention it - He's decided to fight a weaker opponent on this occasion so I'd say he has "dodged" Khan and several other potential opponents who are perceived to be better than Berto. What has Berto done to deserve a shot at Mayweather? He's lost 3 out of his last 6.
    I'm not going to argue Berto's case (though I read the thing about losing half of the last 6 fights earlier on, so I looked it up....the first of those defeats was over 4 years ago, can we really use this as an argument for anything?). I'm just fed up of hearing (not from you specifically, but from the media and other people) that it should be Amir Khan who fights Mayweather.

I don't think it matters who you put Mayweather in with just now (with the exception of Golovkin, but that's not going to happen) he'd beat them.

Mayweather has earned the right to fight who he likes. He's been in with the best, especially in his earlier career although some of the criticism of his later career is unjustified imo, and beaten them. If he chooses a 'gimme' for his last fight (which it won't be imo) the that's his perogative. The idea he's going to fight Golovkin at a catch weight at nearly 40 year old is ridiculous.

Khan has yet to earn the right to dictate his fights on his terms. He's a fine boxer, well underrated imo, but he's still to beat the names he needs to to have the bargaining power of a Mayweather or a Klitschko in negotitations. Fighting, and in my view beating, Kell Brook would be a good starting point.

Khan should fight Thurman or Bradley.

Then Khan brook at Wembley next summer

Speaking of Mayweather Golovkin which wont happen I'd imagine, do you think Khan would ever go near him??

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    Speaking of Mayweather Golovkin which wont happen I'd imagine, do you think Khan would ever go near him??
    Khan still has a lot to prove in the welterweight division, so I don't think a Khan v Golovkin fight will be on the cards at any point. There are loads of potential fights for Khan at Welterweight level; Kell Brook, Keith Thurman, Timothy Bradley to name a few.

Quote Originally Posted by sambajustice View Post
    I have a feeling the winner of the Cotto v Alvarez fight may end up fighting Golovkin. At a catch weight of 156-158lbs that would be a huge money spinner.

Golovkin has to get past the big punching Lemieux first of course

I have a feeling the winner of the Cotto v Alvarez fight may end up fighting Golovkin. At a catch weight of 156-158lbs that would be a huge money spinner.

Golovkin has to get past the big punching Lemieux first of course
    Looking forward to golovkin Lemieux.. Gonzalez is on the undercard aswell, incredible talent

Testimonial Due
    Apparently talks have started for a Khan v Pacquiaou fight next year in Dubai when Pac-Man is back to full fitness.

Kell Brook V Timothy Bradley also a strong possibility in near future.

Both potentially great fights.
    Last edited by #FromTheCapital; 22-08-2015 at 07:29 AM.

Apparently talks have started for a Khan v Pacquiaou fight next year in Dubai when Pac-Man is back to full fitness.

Kell Brook V Timothy Bradley also a strong possibility in near future.

Both potentially great fights.
    If those 2 came off it would be superb.

Both really close fights and you could imagine Khan v Pacquaio being very exciting whilst it lasted.

Victories for both Khan and Brook would make the pressure on them to fight each other, and the money on offer, unbelievable.

Testimonial Due
    If those 2 came off it would be superb.

Both really close fights and you could imagine Khan v Pacquaio being very exciting whilst it lasted.

Victories for both Khan and Brook would make the pressure on them to fight each other, and the money on offer, unbelievable.
    Agreed, both should be great fights if they happen. Tough to predict the outcome of either, but I'd expect two very exciting fights.