hibs.net Messageboard

Page 84 of 85 FirstFirst ... 347482838485 LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,520 of 2535
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Booked Fazenda Rodizio on George Street for my birthday, heard good things about it. Anyone been before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've always really fancied it. She's a vegetarian though, so never actually got around to it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Been a couple of times. Brilliant
    I must be in the minority, I enjoyed it and had a decent night there, glad I experienced it after hearing so much about it but there are many more restaurants I would revisit before returning there.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    I must be in the minority, I enjoyed it and had a decent night there, glad I experienced it after hearing so much about it but there are many more restaurants I would revisit before returning there.
    Fair enough I don't get out much. Bit of a gimmick with the way of serving and the palatial surroundings and the different type of meat but enjoyed it both times. Also went for lunch both times so was a good but cheaper than dinner prices from what I remember.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m the same

Quote Originally Posted by HibbyDave View Post
    Had food in Mowgli on Hanover Street last week. Excellent.
    Been to the one in Charlotte Street, Fitzrovia-ish. Pretty decent but not quite as good as Dishoom.

@hibs.net private member LaMotta's Avatar
    Went for Indian at Cilantro on Leith Walk last night as had read some rave reviews. Food was excellent, very tasty and service was great.

Very small inside, and so combined with the fact it's getting rave reviews, you have to book in advance.

Just back from Restaurant Martin Wishart, it really was fantastic food and service.

@hibs.net private member
    Just back from Restaurant Martin Wishart, it really was fantastic food and service.
    Was there a few weeks ago, first class food and service, my only gripe is that none of the food was hot, only warm.

@hibs.net private member Rattler's Avatar
    For anyone who enjoys Fazenda then you should try

https://www.rio-steakhouse.co.uk/edinburgh

Located in the Assembly Rooms in George Street. We were here last week and couldn't fault it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post

Located in the Assembly Rooms in George Street. We were here last week and couldn't fault it.
    Partnered with Forged Irish Stout - might have to give this place a go! Love a good steak and quite a fan of the jumped up coke heads stout, is it the same sort of idea as Fazenda where they charge a fixed price and bring it to the table?

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinGoBraghHFC View Post
    Partnered with Forged Irish Stout - might have to give this place a go! Love a good steak and quite a fan of the jumped up coke heads stout, is it the same sort of idea as Fazenda where they charge a fixed price and bring it to the table?

Exactly the same aye. Slightly cheaper and not much between the two IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by MKHIBEE View Post
    Was there a few weeks ago, first class food and service, my only gripe is that none of the food was hot, only warm.
    Did you bring it to the attention of the person serving you that you weren’t happy, as they ask after every course how you enjoyed it.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Did you bring it to the attention of the person serving you that you weren’t happy, as they ask after every course how you enjoyed it.
    They'd probably give you a freebie as well if highlighted. When we were there a couple of years ago, we did the matched wines. The sommelier messed up and gave us the wrong matched wine for the course. We didn't actually realise until he had obviously noticed what dish was coming out to our table. So not only did we get to finish the incorrect wine (which was due for a later course), he came back with the correct wine, we got another one of the incorrect wine when that matched course came out and then at the end they said we could each order any spirit on the menu on the house. We also had gins when we got there and they were knocked off the bill too.

@hibs.net private member
    Went to Baba the other day. Excellent.

Forgot to post this last week

Me and the wife popped in to Edinburgh Street Food on Saturday before the game. A really cool concept. Both had a Mr Boney's beef roll which was lovely but so many tasty options

Will definitely be back

Quote Originally Posted by Rattler View Post

We were at Rio tonight. Very good. They are doing dinner for £35 (Mon to Thurs) until end March. Otherwise £45. I think lunch is only £30 (or £20 this week). All with the Eat out in Edinburgh promotion.

Chaophrya last night. Very nice food and great service. Didn’t get a seat near the window unfortunately which was the only downside.

Testimonial Due Booked4Being-Ugly's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinity Hibee View Post
    Chaophrya last night. Very nice food and great service. Didn’t get a seat near the window unfortunately which was the only downside.
    I was there for my b’day on Sat. We got the sharing platter which was excellent and I got a green chicken curry and she got the red duck curry. Both curries were really good.

Only complaint was I had one of those wobbly tables. I never expected it in there. The bill came to £90 for the 2 of us for starter, main and 2 small beers. I’ve been before and understand the expense but thankfully had a £50 voucher.
    Last edited by Booked4Being-Ugly; 01-04-2024 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booked4Being-Ugly View Post
    I was there for my b’day on Sat. We got the sharing platter which was excellent and I got a green chicken curry and she got the red duck curry. Both curries were really good.

Only complaint was I had one of those wobbly tables. I never expected it in there. The bill came to £90 for the 2 of us for starter, main and 2 small beers. I’ve been before and understand the expense but thankfully had a £50 voucher.
    Exact same as me. A bit pricey without the voucher.

@hibs.net private member SneakersO'Toole's Avatar
    Tapa in Leith.

Perhaps the best tapas I've had outside of Spain.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Not a review but a question. A Thai restaurant in a refurbished railway carriage is about to be opening near me and the publicity is about the staff wearing something like a Thai railway uniform and that they will be doing silver service.

My thoughts are, is it not a bit 'non PC' to be wearing Thai uniform and it's impossible to do proper silver service in a railway carriage.

Any thoughts on this? In a tourist area I'm not sure if they have got the right idea.
    There is no such thing as too much yarn, just not enough time.

Quote Originally Posted by Moulin Yarns View Post
    Not a review but a question. A Thai restaurant in a refurbished railway carriage is about to be opening near me and the publicity is about the staff wearing something like a Thai railway uniform and that they will be doing silver service.

My thoughts are, is it not a bit 'non PC' to be wearing Thai uniform and it's impossible to do proper silver service in a railway carriage.

Any thoughts on this? In a tourist area I'm not sure if they have got the right idea.
    Why would it be non-PC? It supports the gimmick that you are on a Thai train. Not too dissimilar to the Orient Express place in Leith. Is it any different to Thai restaurants where the servers are wearing traditional Thai dress?

I assume the railway carriage is stationary? I've been to an Indian restaurant in a former railway carriage in Newcastle and the service is fine - not silver service but it could be done. I'm sure they even had the big service stands for the naan, etc.

@hibs.net private member Moulin Yarns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Why would it be non-PC? It supports the gimmick that you are on a Thai train. Not too dissimilar to the Orient Express place in Leith. Is it any different to Thai restaurants where the servers are wearing traditional Thai dress?

I assume the railway carriage is stationary? I've been to an Indian restaurant in a former railway carriage in Newcastle and the service is fine - not silver service but it could be done. I'm sure they even had the big service stands for the naan, etc.
    You need to understand how silver service is properly done, impossible in a railway carriage IMHO.

As for non Thai people wearing a uniform, oppression of free speech is an issue in Thailand.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/2023/country-chapters/thailand
    Last edited by Moulin Yarns; 08-04-2024 at 03:26 PM.

You need to understand how silver service is properly done, impossible in a railway carriage IMHO.

As for non Thai people wearing a uniform, oppression of free speech is an issue in Thailand.

https://www.hrw.org/world-report/202...pters/thailand
    I've had silver service, so know what it will be like and I still think it will be possible on a rail carriage. There will probably be clever placement of tables. I've actually had silver service in a tight-for-space restaurant in Thailand. It probably would work better in the space than the normal way of these kind of places putting all the dishes on the table. You can get away with smaller tables.

On the uniform point, I get the free speech thing but will there definitely be non-Thai people wearing the uniform. I've just looked it up - assuming it is the one in Pitlochry? It seems to be a Thai family behind the plans

@hibs.net private member
    My thoughts are ... it's impossible to do proper silver service in a railway carriage.
    Back in the day they used to have silver service (or what seemed to approximate to it) in the dining car on LNER London to Edinburgh. Had many fine meals there.

@hibs.net private member
    Hope people don't mind this possible misuse of this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Chinese takeaway / restaurant in the East of Edinburgh or Porty areas? Used to like Loon Wah at Meadowbank but it's never been the same since it changed hands.

@hibs.net private member ACLeith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    Tapa in Leith.

100%. Go regularly and always excellent

@hibs.net private member MountcastleHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CBacke
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Hope people don't mind this possible misuse of this thread, but does anyone have any recommendations for a Chinese takeaway / restaurant in the East of Edinburgh or Porty areas? Used to like Loon Wah at Meadowbank but it's never been the same since it changed hands.
    I really like the Kam Lo, at the top of Willowbrae. Always find the food tasty and cooked fresh right in front of you. Tiger In at Joppa also good.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SneakersO'Toole View Post
    Tapa in Leith.

It's very nice- stumbled across it one sunny lunch time and got an outdoor seat in the sun, was lovely.

Tapas3 in Newington is also very good.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    It's very nice- stumbled across it one sunny lunch time and got an outdoor seat in the sun, was lovely.

Tapas3 in Newington is also very good.
    A shout for Malvarossa in Portobello.