hibs.net Messageboard

Page 69 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2537
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Not a restaurant but was just in Bain’s at Stenhouse Cross. I think McGills pies are better but was passing so called in. With all the hype and popularity of their pies I assumed (wrongly) that they made their own pies cases etc. The boxes of bought in scotch pie cases stacked up told me otherwise. Anyway I had a Bridie, it was okay but nothing special.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not a restaurant but was just in Bain’s at Stenhouse Cross. I think McGills pies are better but was passing so called in. With all the hype and popularity of their pies I assumed (wrongly) that they made their own pies cases etc. The boxes of bought in scotch pie cases stacked up told me otherwise. Anyway I had a Bridie, it was okay but nothing special.
    Should've had the pie as I agree with you re the bridie!

Aye, McGills are far superior.

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Aye, McGills are far superior.
    Did the main guy at McGills not do his training at Bains back in the day?
    Regardless, I agree that the McGill product is better than Bains, especially the family size Steak pies!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Did the main guy at McGills not do his training at Bains back in the day?
    No idea.

Has McGills not recently closed? Sure I read online the guy who has 'The Bald Baker' in Oxgangs was taking over the site sometime in November.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    Has McGills not recently closed? Sure I read online the guy who has 'The Bald Baker' in Oxgangs was taking over the site sometime in November.
    Yeah. The butcher is staying open but Slateford is turning into bald bakers as you say.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Congratulations to #Leith institution and now national #treasure
    Teuchters Landing Leith, winner of the 2022 'Best Bar' Visit Scotland Thistle awards! Well deserved - well done!

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    We ate in a few places across the city for our anniversary last week.

Started with The Kitchin on Friday, which was exceptionally good. Saturday night we had dinner in Hanam's - very nice food and a lovely restaurant. Sat out on Victoria Terrace afterward with a Kurdish coffee overlooking the Grassmarket. Very nice indeed.
    Madness, as you know, is a lot like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

@hibs.net private member Oscar T Grouch's Avatar
    Didn't eat in but I had an amazing curry from Itihaas on Eskbank Road, Dalkeith. Seriously, the best curry I have had in ages.I tend not to get much so only had bread (chapati) and a main veggie dish of Channa Masala, it was brilliant. The couple I had the meal with also loved their dishes (butter chicken and lamb rogan josh). I believe this place got in a top ten on Trip Advisor for being good and I can see why.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Fabios Restaurant on Glasgow Road, Corstorphine to close and become a Domino’s. Not a place I frequent but plenty of locals on local FB page upset by this news.

Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Didn't eat in but I had an amazing curry from Itihaas on Eskbank Road, Dalkeith. Seriously, the best curry I have had in ages.I tend not to get much so only had bread (chapati) and a main veggie dish of Channa Masala, it was brilliant. The couple I had the meal with also loved their dishes (butter chicken and lamb rogan josh). I believe this place got in a top ten on Trip Advisor for being good and I can see why.
    Not been for a while but always really enjoyed it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oscar T Grouch View Post
    Didn't eat in but I had an amazing curry from Itihaas on Eskbank Road, Dalkeith. Seriously, the best curry I have had in ages.
    Do they deliver to the Easter Road area?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Do they deliver to the Easter Road area?
    You getting us all half time pakora ????

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    You getting us all half time pakora ????
    I wish!

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Fabios Restaurant on Glasgow Road, Corstorphine to close and become a Domino’s. Not a place I frequent but plenty of locals on local FB page upset by this news.
    Can understand why

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Can understand why
    Why ? Not a place Ive ever eaten in, Im sure a hibs supporters bus used to leave from there too

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Why ? Not a place Ive ever eaten in, Im sure a hibs supporters bus used to leave from there too
    It’s a good Italian restaurant, which has been trading for years, getting replaced by a Pizza Company, who already have a takeaway in corstorphine

@hibs.net private member
    It’s a good Italian restaurant, which has been trading for years, getting replaced by a Pizza Company, who already have a takeaway in corstorphine
    Sorry mate read your post wrong, thought there was something wrong with Fabios as the reason. They probably got a good offer for the land/building

Quote Originally Posted by Bridge hibs View Post
    Sorry mate read your post wrong, thought there was something wrong with Fabios as the reason. They probably got a good offer for the land/building
    Not sure if they were selling the land, leasing it out, or both. Knew they were retiring
    Seems to be difficult family business nowadays, all seems to be chains now

To be honest, its a poor italian restaurant. We live a 5 minutes walk from it & should be potential regulars. we try it again every couple of years and are always disappointed.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    To be honest, its a poor italian restaurant. We live a 5 minutes walk from it & should be potential regulars. we try it again every couple of years and are always disappointed.
    I went a year or so ago and it was absolutely terrible.

Pasta was massively over cooked, pizza was terrible with a paste like sauce, what I presume was pre-shredded mozzarella due to how burnt the cheese was and dough that had absolutely no flavour.

Someone I was with ordered steak and it was probably about 2 or 3 levels of doneness away from where it should have been.
    Last edited by Stubbsy90+2; 03-11-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbsy90+2 View Post
    I went a year or so ago and it was absolutely terrible.

Pasta was massively over cooked, pizza was terrible with a paste like sauce, what I presume was pre-shredded mozzarella due to how burnt the cheese was and dough that had absolutely no flavour.

Someone I was with ordered steak and it was probably about 2 or 3 levels of doneness away from where it should have been.

Standards of authenticity and quality for Italian food have risen in the last few years. I still enjoy going to Lucas in morningside for that kind of gloopy sweet lasagne that passed for Italian food in the 1980s, its still quite satisfying and a fun place to go particularly if you've got kids. But I don't pretend its anywhere near the quality standard of some of the newer Italians like tempo perso up the road in bruntsfield. I imagine Fabios has been similarly 'overtaken' by the competition. Obviously actually over or undercooking is just an error that probably have more to do with staff shortages and the like.

I went to a nice place in the 'Affordable Italian family restaurant' genre over in Kirkintilloch called Nonnas Kitchen. Big place, big menu, very decent quality. We had just cycled 20 miles along the canal from Falkirk and were so hungry we could probably have eaten our boots and enjoyed it mind you but the lasagne seemed very good.

Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    My thoughts on it are pretty much the same as yours, interestingly it was a topic of conversation in Winstons last night and was pretty much unanimously praised by everyone in there!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Coppor blossom last night for the first time. Had a steak sandwich with chips and a side of onion rings. It was delicious, the steak was cooked perfectly and the portion size was very generous for the price.

I'd intended to have their tapas bites, but they've changed their menu from the online offer of 3 for £15 up to 4 for £25. Not as good value, but more importantly 4 seemed too much for 1 person, 3 sounded manageable. I assume it was too much hassle for them to do mini dishes and they were a bit of a loss leader that had gotten too popular.

The other food options hadn't changed in price from the old menu - £16 for the steak sandwich was reasonable and pints were £5.50 (ish).

Tonic across the road with an extensive cocktail menu beforehand for pre-dinner drinks and possibly the most attentive service I've ever received too.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Coppor blossom last night for the first time. Had a steak sandwich with chips and a side of onion rings. It was delicious, the steak was cooked perfectly and the portion size was very generous for the price.

I'd intended to have their tapas bites, but they've changed their menu from the online offer of 3 for £15 up to 4 for £25. Not as good value, but more importantly 4 seemed too much for 1 person, 3 sounded manageable. I assume it was too much hassle for them to do mini dishes and they were a bit of a loss leader that had gotten too popular.

The other food options hadn't changed in price from the old menu - £16 for the steak sandwich was reasonable and pints were £5.50 (ish).

Tonic across the road with an extensive cocktail menu beforehand for pre-dinner drinks and possibly the most attentive service I've ever received too.
    The manager in Tonic is a really nice guy, really polite and always grateful for what you do for him, so it's no surprise at all that the service is good.

I always find you can get an idea of what the service in a place will be like by how the management and staff treat people who aren't their customers. If they are rude to suppliers, delivery drivers etc etc then it doesn't generally take much for the mask to slip when dealing with customers either and that spreads through the staff. I find my instincts have rarely been wrong over the years.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    My thoughts on it are pretty much the same as yours, interestingly it was a topic of conversation in Winstons last night and was pretty much unanimously praised by everyone in there!
    My wife introduced me to Fabios when we started dating in 2019 and we go fairly regularly. We love it. We normally go for steaks and have never had a complaint about them. I normally go for a half portion of pasta for a starter and I've always been impressed (and if that's a half portion of pasta, I'd love to see a full portion as it is massive).

I've been there numerous times for various reasons over the last 10-15 years. It was always thoroughly decent. Nothing hugely special, but decent food for a decent price.

A shame it's being shut for a dominos. TBH I thought there was one already in corstorphine?

The manager in Tonic is a really nice guy, really polite and always grateful for what you do for him, so it's no surprise at all that the service is good.

I always find you can get an idea of what the service in a place will be like by how the management and staff treat people who aren't their customers. If they are rude to suppliers, delivery drivers etc etc then it doesn't generally take much for the mask to slip when dealing with customers either and that spreads through the staff. I find my instincts have rarely been wrong over the years.
    The owner of Tonic, although I don't know if he's the manager, is the son of former hearts owner Chris Robinson.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

Clearly they have the whole "tone from the top" thing nailed down then! It's a nice little place.
    Mon the Hibs.