hibs.net Messageboard

Page 54 of 85 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 2535
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Was much better last night than before, warmly welcomed in
    Just had a single nip and a single brandy, think was around £6.30, so not too expensive in Edinburgh establishments
    That's not too bad, about 10 years ago it was £4 for a pint of Strongbow. 😓

Currently in Darlington, about £5 for a Strongbow and Moretti! 😆
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 05-09-2020 at 12:39 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    That's not too bad, about 10 years ago it was £4 for a pint of Strongbow. 😓

Currently in Darlington, about £5 for a Strongbow and Moretti! 😆
    You and Scouse Hibee get about

La Dolce Vita is always worth stringently pursuing! 😃

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    New owners recently so hopefully they improve it. It should be a far better pub than it is.
    A DM Stewart boozer now I believe.

😁 I’m off to Doncaster then Whitby tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibee View Post
    It is.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

😁 I’m off to Doncaster then Whitby tomorrow.
    I love Whitby, stayed at Robin Hood’s Bay just down the road a few times

Could have to quarantine on your return though, look out for Nicola’s update

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Had a takeaway from Chez Jules today. How they manage to produce such good food for so cheap is beyond me.

Wouldn’t sit in just now though as they are giving you disposable cutlery which is ***** for eating steak frites.

@hibs.net private member
    Just had a single nip and a single brandy, think was around £6.30, so not too expensive in Edinburgh establishments
    I'm afraid I just don't see the point in having single measures for spirits. It's mostly evaporated before you get back to your seat.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Had afternoon tea at Fingal today, it was brilliant. Food was amazing and well worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    I'm afraid I just don't see the point in having single measures for spirits. It's mostly evaporated before you get back to your seat.
    I agree😄, but we had a train to catch
    It was £2.80 for a single nip, and £3.50 for a single brandy
    Will go back rather than use Platform 5, which was heaving

I agree😄, but we had a train to catch
    It was £2.80 for a single nip, and £3.50 for a single brandy
    Will go back rather than use Platform 5, which was heaving
    The new bar manager is a guy who worked in the Guildford, a good guy who I’m sure will improve the place.

It's got some way to go before reaching the standards of the Guildford or Abbotsford.

Was at Brewhemia for dinner tonight.

Food was pretty good, not spectacular but decent. 2 mains, 2 cocktails, 2 pints, 2 apple juice and a child's main and dessert for £38.50 with the discount is very good value. Set up was excellent with tables well spaced, QR codes for track and trace and staff checked you had signed up. Service was excellent.

Less pleasant is the news that the Wee Restaurant in Edinburgh has closed for good. Great food. Thankfully they are staying open in Queensferry.

Not Edinburgh but was in Whitby at the weekend on a business research trip which involved trying fish and chips from three of the best known outlets.

First up was Trenchers which has a fantastic reputation for fish and chips, it was awful. Chips although not bad in texture had a chemical taste probably not been rinsed properly from the dry white used to keep them looking good. The Haddock was battered with skin on (yuk) and the batter was so thin and soggy they shouldn’t have bothered, the tartar sauce was so vinegary. On top of that the service from the counter staff was abrupt and unhelpful.

In comparison the Quayside was fantastic, told us they served skin on haddock and asked if we wanted it with skin removed before battering which we did, fantastic fish and chips, crispy batter but not too thick and lovely crispy chips and decent tartar sauce.

The Magpie Cafe was also very similar to Quayside although we had cod there as they never offered to remove the skin from the haddock. Their tartar sauce was the best of the lot as it was chunky how I like it.

Overall Whitby was a nice place, we were there for a specific purpose though and Trenchers was such a let down.

I don’t mind skin on fish when it is being pan fried or grilled so it crisps but in batter, not for me!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Not Edinburgh but was in Whitby at the weekend on a business research trip which involved trying fish and chips from three of the best known outlets.

First up was Trenchers which has a fantastic reputation for fish and chips, it was awful. Chips although not bad in texture had a chemical taste probably not been rinsed properly from the dry white used to keep them looking good. The Haddock was battered with skin on (yuk) and the batter was so thin and soggy they shouldn’t have bothered, the tartar sauce was so vinegary. On top of that the service from the counter staff was abrupt and unhelpful.

In comparison the Quayside was fantastic, told us they served skin on haddock and asked if we wanted it with skin removed before battering which we did, fantastic fish and chips, crispy batter but not too thick and lovely crispy chips and decent tartar sauce.

The Magpie Cafe was also very similar to Quayside although we had cod there as they never offered to remove the skin from the haddock. Their tartar sauce was the best of the lot as it was chunky how I like it.

Overall Whitby was a nice place, we were there for a specific purpose though and Trenchers was such a let down.

I don’t mind skin on fish when it is being pan fried or grilled so it crisps but in batter, not for me!
    I had a very different experience when I went - Trenchers was the best fish and chips I've ever had!
    Mon the Hibs.

Dangal the Indian restaurant in Corstorphine are opening a second restaurant in Duke Street Leith very soon.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Away to Berwick tomorrow for the night. Anyone recommended any good restaurants.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Dangal the Indian restaurant in Corstorphine are opening a second restaurant in Duke Street Leith very soon.
    How do you rate the Corstorphine one? Passed it numerous times, sometimes it's busy, sometimes empty. They start cooking just after 4pm on weekdays and the phenomenal smell lingers in the area for ages.
    I've only been put off because it resembles a cafe (was it Rosa's?) rather than a proper restaurant.
    Got my first sit down at Prana (used to be Abida) next week and from what I've heard it's still very decent!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    How do you rate the Corstorphine one? Passed it numerous times, sometimes it's busy, sometimes empty. They start cooking just after 4pm on weekdays and the phenomenal smell lingers in the area for ages.
    I've only been put off because it resembles a cafe (was it Rosa's?) rather than a proper restaurant.
    Got my first sit down at Prana (used to be Abida) next week and from what I've heard it's still very decent!
    Never been mate as I tend to go to Eastern Pavilion but have heard it’s decent, yes it was Rosa’s cafe and then the Thai place by night. The premises are owned by David and Rose the owners of Wongs. Never been to Prana either but Abida was decent on the odd occasion I went.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Had a takeaway from Chez Jules today. How they manage to produce such good food for so cheap is beyond me.

Wouldn’t sit in just now though as they are giving you disposable cutlery which is ***** for eating steak frites.
    I'm very fond of the place. Their lunch menu is tremendous value. Even the wine is reasonable for a restaurant.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Went to the Corstorphine one just before lockdown. My girlfriend and I were doing a Corstorphine curry trail. It was OK but not as good as others in the area.

I’ve been to Prana twice. Probably the best Indian food I’ve ever had. Strangely, they are still calling themselves Abida for their takeaway business and they still answer the phone as Abida.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I’ve been to Prana twice. Probably the best Indian food I’ve ever had. Strangely, they are still calling themselves Abida for their takeaway business and they still answer the phone as Abida.
    As Del Boy would say, what a bunch of Pranas! 😉

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Went to the Corstorphine one just before lockdown. My girlfriend and I were doing a Corstorphine curry trail. It was OK but not as good as others in the area.

Shoooosht with the Corstorphine Curry Trail,,,, just like the NC500 it started of as a little known jaunt for enthusiasts, the locals now hate the influx of daytrippers.
    I don't want to have to start queueing for my mushroom rice on a Friday night from St Johns Curry Club!?!

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Shoooosht with the Corstorphine Curry Trail,,,, just like the NC500 it started of as a little known jaunt for enthusiasts, the locals now hate the influx of daytrippers.
    I don't want to have to start queueing for my mushroom rice on a Friday night from St Johns Curry Club!?!
    The Corry Curry trail? ..... hmmmm

In these Covid days is there a takeaway equivalent? (Might help spread the load and save you having to queue!)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

St Johns was winning it easily until the first visit to Prana.

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    St Johns was winning it easily until the first visit to Prana.

I absolutely love the Bengali Green Chicken dish from St Johns. Never been disappointed yet.
    Hibs.nets negative posting legend and unofficial ticket agent.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I'm very fond of the place. Their lunch menu is tremendous value. Even the wine is reasonable for a restaurant.
    Yup, the wine is very decent value as well. I love the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    I absolutely love the Bengali Green Chicken dish from St Johns. Never been disappointed yet.
    That’s my favourite too. They are connected to In Touch on Ferry Road who have a nearly identical menu. The Bengali Green Chicken is ace there too!

That’s my favourite too. They are connected to In Touch on Ferry Road who have a nearly identical menu. The Bengali Green Chicken is ace there too!
    The whole Indian restaurant scene in Edinburgh is quite fascinating. I deal with a lot of them in work, including almost all of the St Johns Road/Corstorphine crew, and so many of them are interconnected in some way, either through family or extended friendship networks. It's an annual occurrence that some of the restaurants nominally have 'new owners' who happen to be the cousin or brother of the previous owners and have links to another restaurant. Coincidentally they almost always keep the previous owners on in a management capacity The vast majority of the owners and staff tend to be Bangladeshi with a smattering of Pakistani owned restaurants. The number of Indian restaurants owned by Indians is probably single figures in Edinburgh, those that are tend to be from either West Bengal or Punjab and have strong links to the neighbouring countries of Bangladesh and Pakistan respectively.

It's a good community to get into from a business perspective because when your face is known and you are trusted then they will be loyal to you and will recommend you to others. On the flip side it can be a nightmare to quote for new product or agree price increases because you can guarantee that they will know exactly what the guy next door and the guy at the other side of the city is paying. There's also a strong emphasis on verbal contracts and gentlemans agreements. I remember years ago telling one owner a new pass through dishwasher would be 'about £4000' but I would have to quote formally; when I presented a quote for closer to £4500 he got very upset and accused me of double crossing him, it was months before he dealt with me again. The best part of dealing with a number of Indian restaurants is the food. I always try to schedule meetings for about 3pm. The lunch service is done and you quite often find a wife bustling about the kitchen cooking food that they actually eat and it's always amazing. Kabuli Puloa, Haleem and Dowdo are particular favourites. They also use a lot of mutton that adds a great depth. I've asked for some of these dishes when I have been out for dinner before and they are usually only too happy to accommodate and show off authentic cuisine.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years