hibs.net Messageboard

Page 30 of 85 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
    For some thing a little further afield, the Captains Table in Fraserburgh. We went a couple of weeks back and it was lovely. Nice fresh fish, as you would expect, but a little over priced. Surf n turf came with scallops rather than prawns. Small menu and varies depending on wl the fish on offer. Do a good Sunday roast too, apparently.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Cheers.

Decided to give the barologist a go. I used to really like it for food when it was the cameo, nothing fancy but decent value pub grub so will be interesting to see how it compares.

Cant say I’m particularly excited about going there for a drink to be fair as the whole theme looks a bit ridiculous to me but worth trying I suppose.
    Just had a look at the website and its bizarre to say the least. Do agree that the cameo was decent.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Fazenda last night.

If you like meat, it's awesome. Brazilian BBQ style, bringing skewers of meat to your table and eat as much as you want/can - complemented by a buffet of other dishes which were in the main very nice. Highlights were the minted lamb and garlic crusted steak.

One of those places that you leave craving a lie down and nap after over-indulging.

Looking to organise an Xmas dinner with a few friends from my old work - any recommendations for a place to take a group of c.12/15 with varied tastes?
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Just had a look at the website and its bizarre to say the least. Do agree that the cameo was decent.

That is the most unfriendly website I have seen. The blasting shots are so sore.

Pretentious too. Mussels from British waters??? With cider....

No chance we are going there. I believe that a restaurant website mirrors what is on offer. It must be right.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    That is the most unfriendly website I have seen. The blasting shots are so sore.

No chance we are going there. I believe that a restaurant website mirrors what is on offer. It must be right.
    Just had a look. “A fog of chicken & liver clouded into a Pate” is my personal favourite from the menu. Someone needs to go on a plain English course.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Fazenda last night.

If you like meat, it's awesome. Brazilian BBQ style, bringing skewers of meat to your table and eat as much as you want/can - complemented by a buffet of other dishes which were in the main very nice. Highlights were the minted lamb and garlic crusted steak.

One of those places that you leave craving a lie down and nap after over-indulging.

Looking to organise an Xmas dinner with a few friends from my old work - any recommendations for a place to take a group of c.12/15 with varied tastes?
    Quite liked Fazenda but thought the novelty wore off eventually. Probably didn’t help that I was determined to get my money’s worth so had 0 sides and ate nothing but steak .

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post

It wasn't great TBH.

Food was alright but i ordered something i shouldn't, what i read on the menu really wasn't really what i was seeing in my head if that makes sense. Not their fault to be honest but didn't particularly enjoy it, the Mrs said the same about hers, was alright but a bit 'meh'.

The staff were excellent to be fair, very friendly and couldn't fault the service in the slightest. If it was just the food though i would put that down as my mistake but there was something else just not quite right about the place. I am not sure what but it seemed a bit like they've made a bit of a half hearted attempt to go for this theme. I can't really put my finger on what was missing or what more they could do but to me it felt a bit like i was sat in the cameo with a few new ornaments and the bar staff wearing hats.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Went to the Spanish Butcher in Glasgow City Centre on Saturday evening to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Can't recommend it highly enough - food and service were absolutely out of this world. It's expensive, don't get me wrong, but well worth it for a special occasion IMO.

Their wine selection and knowledge is exceptional, and their olives are probably the nicest olives I've ever eaten.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Quite liked Fazenda but thought the novelty wore off eventually. Probably didn’t help that I was determined to get my money’s worth so had 0 sides and ate nothing but steak .
    There are worse ways to enjoy a meal.

It's a tough balance with the sides, I usually go up with the intention of just getting a little bit to break up the meat and end up filling my plate with the extras.

I'm no good with the traffic light system either - my plate had filled up quite quickly so I went to red to finish what I had but they kept walking with meat to others at my table and I'd just think "yep, that sounds good" - I had 4 more meats before I decided just to turn to green again and stop pretending I wasn't a pig.
    Mon the Hibs.

It wasn't great TBH.

Food was alright but i ordered something i shouldn't, what i read on the menu really wasn't really what i was seeing in my head if that makes sense. Not their fault to be honest but didn't particularly enjoy it, the Mrs said the same about hers, was alright but a bit 'meh'.

The staff were excellent to be fair, very friendly and couldn't fault the service in the slightest. If it was just the food though i would put that down as my mistake but there was something else just not quite right about the place. I am not sure what but it seemed a bit like they've made a bit of a half hearted attempt to go for this theme. I can't really put my finger on what was missing or what more they could do but to me it felt a bit like i was sat in the cameo with a few new ornaments and the bar staff wearing hats.
    It's the classic hipster by numbers problem. They think of a theme then don't actually have the imagination to carry it through.

The website is ridiculous and you just know it's trying to mask utter mediocrity in the cooking.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    On the restaurant theme, sad news about Andrew Fairlie who is the only two star Michelin restaurant in Scotland.He has announced his retirement from the restaurant due to illness. Has been living with a brain tumour since 2005 and there is now no further treatment that can help.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: franck sauzee
    Tried Lucas Kitchen in Dunfermline yesterday for lunch - I think it's the same Lucas that do the ice cream in Musselburgh.

£12.00-odd for a three course meal, had haggis bon bons to start and they were lovely, had a whisky sauce with them which was delicious. Went for the carbonara for my main and it was good as well, maybe not as nice as a home made one but not far off it, then sorbets for afters which were excellent.

Would definitely go back.
    Follow the Hibs podcast, Longbangers, on Twitter (@longbangers)
    https://longbangers.hubwave.net

I mentioned it on here before but I went to Scottie’s for lunch again yesterday and it really is superb value.

If you’re after pub grub and are in this side of town it’s as good as you’re going to get IMO.

Myself and the wife got a sharing platter that was a really good size, a bowl of chips to share and two pints of juice and it came to about £15.

I mentioned it on here before but I went to Scottie’s for lunch again yesterday and it really is superb value.

If you’re after pub grub and are in this side of town it’s as good as you’re going to get IMO.

Myself and the wife got a sharing platter that was a really good size, a bowl of chips to share and two pints of juice and it came to about £15.
    Is that "The Scottie" off Portobello road? That sounds good, but is some treck for me!

I like pub grub though, the best I've had so far is the antiquary on St Stevens street. The Conan Doyle is also good and in a nice central location/close enough for Hibs games.
    Mon the Hibs.

We went to Malvarosa in Portobello last night, tapas place.

It was oustanding, service was good, food was excellent and the value for money was unreal. 4 of us had a sharing plate of bread, olives, cheese and dips to start. 8 tapas, a couple of desserts, 6 beers, 1 small wine and 1 large wine and 3 coffees and the total bill was £87. We left £25 a head and still felt we had scored.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Went to the Spylaw Tavern last night, worst meal I've had in a long long time.

Garlic bread with no garlic
    Nachos and salsa... Salsa was like soup, with maybe about a spoon's worth of actual salsa, nachos lying in it were wet and floppy and the rest was burnt.
    Curry and chips (friend detests the look/feel of rice) came with.... RICE
    Lasange tasted like the cheap Aldi stuff I once tried
    Macaroni cheese tasted of flour and not much else
    I had to wait on my Lasange and some of my chips were half cooked
    Gammon steak didn't come with any salad/veg despite being asked for.

Oh and as this was a "large" booking, we preordered the day before.... And they still got it wrong!

Oh well, place used to be alright, not on my list anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Went to the Spylaw Tavern last night, worst meal I've had in a long long time.

Garlic bread with no garlic
    Nachos and salsa... Salsa was like soup, with maybe about a spoon's worth of actual salsa, nachos lying in it were wet and floppy and the rest was burnt.
    Curry and chips (friend detests the look/feel of rice) came with.... RICE
    Lasange tasted like the cheap Aldi stuff I once tried
    Macaroni cheese tasted of flour and not much else
    I had to wait on my Lasange and some of my chips were half cooked
    Gammon steak didn't come with any salad/veg despite being asked for.

Oh and as this was a "large" booking, we preordered the day before.... And they still got it wrong!

Oh well, place used to be alright, not on my list anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    The Spylaw is garbage. Microwaved pub grub in a soulless cave.

It was my Grandparents local years ago when it was the Royal Scot and I vaguely remember going in when I was really young. I believe it was a proper little local. Like many pubs it's been forced down the food route and like many it does it badly.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    The Spylaw is garbage. Microwaved pub grub in a soulless cave.

It was my Grandparents local years ago when it was the Royal Scot and I vaguely remember going in when I was really young. I believe it was a proper little local. Like many pubs it's been forced down the food route and like many it does it badly.
    I remember back in the day it was a great wee pub, when it started doing proper food it was really decent for a while, then as you say it's gone down the generic crappy pub route of "cooking" ..... Was an 80th birthday meal, they actually prefer the Ratho Park but picked the Spylaw as they thought the "young ones" would prefer it..... If it wasn't for that I'd have handed my nacho "soup" back rather than picking the burnt nachos out!......

Is that "The Scottie" off Portobello road? That sounds good, but is some treck for me!

I like pub grub though, the best I've had so far is the antiquary on St Stevens street. The Conan Doyle is also good and in a nice central location/close enough for Hibs games.
    Yeah that’s the one.

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Vittoria on Brunswick Street last night.
    Great food, efficient, friendly staff, and a great atmosphere too.
    To make it even better, we got a 20% discount from the price by showing our season tickets :-)

A wee thing that really impressed us was, today we received an email from the owners, thanking us for our custom and requesting feedback. I'm not too sure how many other restaurants do this, but its a very impressive after service.

I believe the owners are good Hibbies, so if any of you should happen to read this post, thanks, and keep up the good work folks.

GGTTH

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststand View Post
    To make it even better, we got a 20% discount from the price by showing our season tickets :-)

A wee thing that really impressed us was, today we received an email from the owners, thanking us for our custom and requesting feedback. I'm not too sure how many other restaurants do this, but its a very impressive after service.

I believe the owners are good Hibbies, so if any of you should happen to read this post, thanks, and keep up the good work folks.

GGTTH
    We've actually just came out of Vittoria's on George IV Bridge, been many times and the 20% discount is a nice wee bonus.
    They're doing a tie up with Social Bite and you can pay for a Christmas dinner for the homeless, at £5 each and ALL the cash going towards the needy we used our discount to pay for a couple of Christmas dinners,,,, sometimes it's nice to pass it on.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

The antiquary food is very decent.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststand View Post

GGTTH
    Have passed this on to Tony Crolla.

@hibs.net private member Eaststand's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Have passed this on to Tony Crolla.
    Cheers Scouse

GGTTH

GGTTH

Went to the starbank down newhaven on saturday, 3 of us had a two course meal and two drinks each came to £52 food was very good, the fish that you get served is massive, good/bad thing about it dogs are allowed in

Quote Originally Posted by Leith's finest View Post
    Went to the starbank down newhaven on saturday, 3 of us had a two course meal and two drinks each came to £52 food was very good, the fish that you get served is massive, good/bad thing about it dogs are allowed in
    Went there a few years back and the food was vile, greasy and overcooked, beer was decent, glad the place has improved.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Was at Harajuku Kitchen last week. Would recommend it.

Went to Nok's Kitchen tonight - very nice Thai. Had a golden beef basket to start, then a beautiful duck curry with egg fried rice. Excellent service, and Reasonably priced too. Very small and busy so needs booked a little in advance.
    Mon the Hibs.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Went to Nok's Kitchen tonight - very nice Thai. Had a golden beef basket to start, then a beautiful duck curry with egg fried rice. Excellent service, and Reasonably priced too. Very small and busy so needs booked a little in advance.
    Great place. The seabass curry is very good.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Refinery for me tomorrow. Anyone been?
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller