hibs.net Messageboard

Page 28 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patch1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We went to Hectors in Stockbridge for some drinks and grub pretty standard menu but the burger was excellent.

Mini pub crawl around the area what is it with people taking their dogs out with them on a Saturday night!

Thats a posh area full of rugby supporting hoorah Henrys. The best pub in Stockbridge shut down, The St Bernards Bar.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Thats a posh area full of rugby supporting hoorah Henrys. The best pub in Stockbridge shut down, The St Bernards Bar.
    The St Bernard’s was an utter hole.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    We went to Hectors in Stockbridge for some drinks and grub pretty standard menu but the burger was excellent.

Mini pub crawl around the area what is it with people taking their dogs out with them on a Saturday night!
    I like the area, but not the amount of dogs - especially in a dark bar, what's the point in that? Go take it for a walk or something.

One for the pet peeves thread, but when owners just let their dogs walk around and go up to other people then accompanying it with some guff like "He likes you" or "he won't bite".
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I like the area, but not the amount of dogs - especially in a dark bar, what's the point in that? Go take it for a walk or something.

One for the pet peeves thread, but when owners just let their dogs walk around and go up to other people then accompanying it with some guff like "He likes you" or "he won't bite".
    Yeah I like it also, the Raeburn was great as it was so hot and sunny cant beat drinking outside. While most dogs were on the leads there was a few scuffles with other dogs surely they can leave them home for a few hours but obviously they are some sort of status symbol now.

I like dogs so I don’t mind it, but I do think it’s something people shouldn’t be doing. If you don’t like dogs you shouldn’t have to put up with one coming over and jumping up on you, licking you, sniffing you etc.

Yeah I like it also, the Raeburn was great as it was so hot and sunny cant beat drinking outside. While most dogs were on the leads there was a few scuffles with other dogs surely they can leave them home for a few hours but obviously they are some sort of status symbol now.
    The outdoor bit at the Raeburn is nice. The Antiquary is my favourite though - great food!

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I like dogs so I don’t mind it, but I do think it’s something people shouldn’t be doing. If you don’t like dogs you shouldn’t have to put up with one coming over and jumping up on you, licking you, sniffing you etc.
    I don't mind them generally, I'd just rather they left me alone. My Girlfriend is extremely scared of them though. So if one does come up to us, I usually have to proactively get in the way and give it attention so it'll leave her alone. No idea what we'd do if I was scared of them too!
    Mon the Hibs.

The St Bernard’s was an utter hole.
    aye, went in once and once only. Came back from the bar and my missus accused me of farting and told me I was stinking. I then noticed it too, the smell was coming from my pint lol.

The customers were alright to be fair, needless to say my stella never got touched.

The Bow Bar is good. For connoisseurs of beer. Quite pricey but that keeps the neds out.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    The outdoor bit at the Raeburn is nice. The Antiquary is my favourite though - great food!

I don't mind them generally, I'd just rather they left me alone. My Girlfriend is extremely scared of them though. So if one does come up to us, I usually have to proactively get in the way and give it attention so it'll leave her alone. No idea what we'd do if I was scared of them too!
    This. I have an extreme case of cynophobia (fear of dogs) and it is a right pain the arse when you go somewhere for a relaxing drink and there’s dogs coming up to you. You even get them in cafes and restaurants now too. Don’t get me started on shop owners that take their dogs to work with them. I’ll actively avoid places with that ridiculous red dogs welcome sign on their door.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    I used to frequent the Dean in the 80’s. The team I played for, played their home games at Inverleith Park. Went to the Dean after the games
    God forbid if you sat on a regulars seat

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    I used to frequent the Dean in the 80’s. The team I played for, played their home games at Inverleith Park. Went to the Dean after the games
    God forbid if you sat on a regulars seat
    The Dean had quite a heavy reputation. The Rag Doll was OK. Then there was Shambles. Odd place.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Edinburgh Northern?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Oh.... And one of my favourite pubs in the world is in Stockbridge.... Kay's Bar

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    More Inverness recommendations, having spent a week up there recently.

Aspendos - Turkish, lots of different deals. Generous portions and reasonably-priced. Service was decent, food was delicious and the bill was light on the wallet. Highlight was a starter of lightly-battered mussel skewers. I’m definitely going back next time I’m up.

The Rajah - as the name suggests, it’s Indian. It’s in a basement and their WiFi cuts in and out but other than that I couldn’t fault it. It was absolutely heaving on a Tuesday night and it looked like it was mostly locals, which tells its own story. I had been recommended it by a local and it was well worth the visit.

The River House - it’s small, maybe thirty covers, and it looks like an old-school pub on a corner block, but instead of the bar they have the kitchen open to public view. The chef/owner Alfie is incredibly friendly. Lots of fish dishes among the starters and mains. I had turbot for main and it was maybe the best plate of food I’ve eaten this year. I would heartily recommend this place and I will be back the first chance I get.

Rocpool - I have posted before about this place but it constantly impresses. Completely booked out the night I was there, which I suspect is the case for spring through to autumn. Not cheap but the service is great, the menu is luscious and the wine list is decently-priced and pretty extensive. As I think I posted before, their cheeseboard is all ewes’ milk, and they usually chuck on a guest cheese as a bonus. It’s tremendous.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Was massively dissapointed with the Boozy Cow last night. Id been a few years previously and thought it was very good, unless I got it on a bad night, it seems to have gone downhill massively. A dense and dry burger more fitted to pub meals straight out the microwave.

Was also at The Walnut at the weekend which I was very impressed with, scallops to start, pork belly as a main and sticky toffee pudding, good value at 3 courses for £25 for the quality you get

It's not. I don't like the pretentious, stuck-up, posh places you get in many parts.. but just because it's nice area doesn't mean Stockbridge falls into that category.

Always liked the Baillie (on the road down).

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    It's not. I don't like the pretentious, stuck-up, posh places you get in many parts.. but just because it's nice area doesn't mean Stockbridge falls into that category.

Always liked the Baillie (on the road down).

The only pub near Stockbridge that has sky tv now so I'm told.

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    The only pub near Stockbridge that has sky tv now so I'm told.
    The Antiquary no longer have Sky TV now? Certainly did last time I was there a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    The Antiquary no longer have Sky TV now? Certainly did last time I was there a few weeks ago.
    I think the reaburn does too, doesn't it?
    Mon the Hibs.

The Bailie and Kay's Bar are two of the finest pubs in the country.

The Antiquary definitely has sky. Not sure about the Raeburn though, they don’t even have TVs as far as I know? Unless we’re talking about what used to be The Raeburn on Dean Street rather than The Raeburn on Raeburn Place? The Raeburn on Dean Street has changed into a shan cocktail bar called Boston & Hawthorne, was in there a couple of weeks ago and there was only one person in.

Has anyone been to Fazenda? Going tonight, looking forward to it.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 11-07-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    The Bailie and Kay's Bar are two of the finest pubs in the country.
    Is Kayes bar just off Howe Street? I’m not a fan of the Baillie, too dark.

The Antiquary definitely has sky. Not sure about the Raeburn though, they don’t even have TVs as far as I know? Unless we’re talking about what used to be The Raeburn on Dean Street rather than The Raeburn on Raeburn Place? The Raeburn on Dean Street has changed into a shan cocktail bar called Boston & Hawthorne, was in there a couple of weeks ago and there was only one person in.

I meant the one on Raeburn place, I'm sure there was TVs in there. The cocktail bar you talk about often have a pizza and cocktails deal on itison, and is quite decent!

Fazenda is really good. Skip lunch though! :green grim
    If you've been to viva Brazil in Glasgow then it's pretty much the same, the non-skewer buffet option is a bit more expansive, but the main show is obviously the meats.
    Mon the Hibs.

Is Kayes bar just off Howe Street? I’m not a fan of the Baillie, too dark.
    Jamaica St West.... the best pub on the planet :-)

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Jamaica St West.... the best pub on the planet :-)

Sssshhhhhh!
    It's a cracking wee pub, a hidden gem and I'd like to keep it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by speedy_gonzales View Post
    Sssshhhhhh!
    It's a cracking wee pub, a hidden gem and I'd like to keep it that way!
    Oops!

It's rubbish in the winter when they put the coal fire on... to hot and smelly!

That better?

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Oops!

It's rubbish in the winter when they put the coal fire on... to hot and smelly!

That better?

Aye, and the food is pretty rubbish too, I mean who wants artisan meat pies when there's a perfectly good Greggs selling their sloppy fayre down at Stockbridge.

In all seriousness, this is one of the few pubs in town where I'll walk in from Corstorphine on a Sunday, maybe via the Water of Leith at Roseburn, buy a paper then sit down for a pint or two. Kay's were selling craft beers before they became popular with the bearded hipster hoi polloi!

Edited to add, and to get this thread back on track, the food seriously is VERY good here, traditional pub fayre and then some!

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar

The Raeburn on Raeburn Place definitely has TVs as I’ve watched the rugby in there before. Not sure if they have Sky or show the football though.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    The Raeburn on Raeburn Place definitely has TVs as I’ve watched the rugby in there before. Not sure if they have Sky or show the football though.
    I can’t for the life of me think where they are, I’ve been in there loads and never noticed them.

I meant the one on Raeburn place, I'm sure there was TVs in there. The cocktail bar you talk about often have a pizza and cocktails deal on itison, and is quite decent!

Fazenda is really good. Skip lunch though! :green grim
    If you've been to viva Brazil in Glasgow then it's pretty much the same, the non-skewer buffet option is a bit more expansive, but the main show is obviously the meats.
    Fazenda was decent. The novelty of eating steaks begins to wear off eventually though and I think I’d rather just spend the money in Chop House or the soon to open (possibly tomorrow?) Hawksmoor. I’m absolutely gubbed after it. I will say the chicken heart is ****ing rotten though