hibs.net Messageboard

Page 25 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!
    We were in London recently and back in May and were going to try Dishoom but que was pretty long how is Edinburgh branch?

Me and the wife eat out a lot but as in Glasgow mostly happy to advise.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 26-11-2017 at 08:58 PM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We were in London recently and back in May and were going to try Dishoom but que was pretty long how is Edinburgh branch?

Not tried for a while but the last couple of times it’s been an 1.5 hour wait so didn’t bother if 8 or more you can book a table in advance.

I’ve only been to the Edinburgh one so nothing to compare it to, but it was very good. I haven’t heard anything but very good reports from everyone else that has gone too.

As noted above though they are usually busy - best to book of you can.

Maki and ramen at fountainbridge. First proper experice of japanesse food and thought it was excellent. Had pork belly ramen as main, and tried various bits of sushi, gyoza and prawn tempura. Wasnt a bad dish although I wasnt too keen in the sake.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Maki and ramen at fountainbridge. First proper experice of japanesse food and thought it was excellent. Had pork belly ramen as main, and tried various bits of sushi, gyoza and prawn tempura. Wasnt a bad dish although I wasnt too keen in the sake.
    Next time, get some plum wine instead of sake if they do it. Delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Next time, get some plum wine instead of sake if they do it. Delicious.
    Will have a look for that, doubt itll be long before I go back.

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Anybody been to Bistro Deluxe by Paul Tamburrini at MacDonald Holyrood hotel. I've won a 5 course tasting menu with paired wines.
    TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Quote Originally Posted by offshorehibby View Post
    Anybody been to Bistro Deluxe by Paul Tamburrini at MacDonald Holyrood hotel. I've won a 5 course tasting menu with paired wines.
    Insider Information: MacDonald hotels are in crisis, chefs on the whole do not want to work for them for a many number reasons, they have senior vacancies all over the shop and have for some time. They were desperate to have a named chef take over one of their restaurants, Paul tamburriniis a good chef, but was not their first choice.

Enjoy your dinner tho, at least it's free

@hibs.net private member offshorehibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jonesy- View Post
    Insider Information: MacDonald hotels are in crisis, chefs on the whole do not want to work for them for a many number reasons, they have senior vacancies all over the shop and have for some time. They were desperate to have a named chef take over one of their restaurants, Paul tamburriniis a good chef, but was not their first choice.

TOP CASH BACK
    The easy way to make money

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -Jonesy- View Post

Don’t know about their chefs, but a relative of mine stayed in MacDonalds Cardrona recently and was disgusted to find a mattress, stained with urine, turned over and covered with a dirty old sheet. Maybe a one off eye opener but a pointer to the quality of staff they employ?

We recently tried Baba which is the new restaurant in the Principal Hotel (formerly the Roxburghe Hotel). It is the sister restaurant to the Ox and Finch in Finnieston in Glasgow which we’ve been to a few times as it’s a favourite of my wife’s family.

Although it is the same idea as Ox and Finch in terms of small plates, the style of food is very different with Baba being specifically Middle Eastern food which is straight up my street.

We were disappointed. The food itself was great with no real complaints on that front. The service was awful.

We arrived about 40 mins early to have a drink at the bar. The guy who took our order didn’t know what either cava or an old fashioned was. Fair enough the old fashioned was not on the menu but the cava was. He had to get us to explain what they both were.

Our reservation time came and went without us being shown to the table so we asked. Eventually, we were taken 25 minutes late. We ordered wine which didn’t come until after the food came. The waiter explained that items of the left of the menu came out before items on the right (which were more main course in style if not size). One of the left hand items came out. We had ordered it and a selection of dips and breads from the left hand side. The right hand side ones came out before the dips and breads when we queried it, they apologised and took what they had brought out away then came with the dips. Whilst I was at the toilet they apparently then brought a lot of food to our table, none of which was ours. They tried to blame the issue with the dips on us as we ordered it with our wine order so there were two separate tabs open on our table which doesn’t really make sense since we ordered them before the rest of the food, yet they all came after the second lot we ordered.

We were disappointed given that we have never had any issues at Ox and Finch.

We recently tried Baba which is the new restaurant in the Principal Hotel (formerly the Roxburghe Hotel). It is the sister restaurant to the Ox and Finch in Finnieston in Glasgow which we’ve been to a few times as it’s a favourite of my wife’s family.

Although it is the same idea as Ox and Finch in terms of small plates, the style of food is very different with Baba being specifically Middle Eastern food which is straight up my street.

We were disappointed. The food itself was great with no real complaints on that front. The service was awful.

We arrived about 40 mins early to have a drink at the bar. The guy who took our order didn’t know what either cava or an old fashioned was. Fair enough the old fashioned was not on the menu but the cava was. He had to get us to explain what they both were.

Our reservation time came and went without us being shown to the table so we asked. Eventually, we were taken 25 minutes late. We ordered wine which didn’t come until after the food came. The waiter explained that items of the left of the menu came out before items on the right (which were more main course in style if not size). One of the left hand items came out. We had ordered it and a selection of dips and breads from the left hand side. The right hand side ones came out before the dips and breads when we queried it, they apologised and took what they had brought out away then came with the dips. Whilst I was at the toilet they apparently then brought a lot of food to our table, none of which was ours. They tried to blame the issue with the dips on us as we ordered it with our wine order so there were two separate tabs open on our table which doesn’t really make sense since we ordered them before the rest of the food, yet they all came after the second lot we ordered.

Opening day pushed back 3 times by over two months due to not filling in the staff in time. Had to open before it became a farce but still desperately short in the kitchen, maybe also lacking numbers/quality out front. It's a shame as I too think ox in Glasgow is fantastic, grew up in kitchens with their two senior chefs and they are absolutely smashing it out the park over their right now. Had high hopes for baba but it's not taken off yet. The owners know what they are doing so I'm sure it will come good once the staff is there, hopefully before too much damage had been done as your issues seem to be a recurring theme for others I know who have visited.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Had an indian from that place in Musselburgh a few weeks back, the shish mahal? Opposite the Sportsman pub that Jacky Mac used to run. Excellent, 8/10, would have been 10/10 but the collection time was 90 minutes instead of 40 like they said. The garlic rice was to die for!
    Good to hear as a few people said recently it has been going downhill

@hibs.net private member
    I see the Verandah in Dalry Road is closing. Used to enjoy meals in there.
    Apparently closure due to Brexit and restrictions on employing immigrants.
    Sad if true.

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Sad if true.
    I went there fairly often in the past. The Brexit immigrant thing's a bit strange given that I'd imagine any new foreign key personnel would be from India or thereabout, ie. outwith Europe in any case.

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by grunt View Post
    Sad if true.
    Last couple of times I've been in there I've left disappointed. That's more likely the reason it's struggling.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    Last couple of times I've been in there I've left disappointed. That's more likely the reason it's struggling.
    Agreed, I used to love it years ago, tried it fairly recently and it was awful,trails its competitors by some distance.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Agreed, I used to love it years ago, tried it fairly recently and it was awful,trails its competitors by some distance.
    It must be one of the longest running Indian restaurants in Edinburgh.

I never really rated it. i preferred the Star of Bengal almost next door.

Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    It must be one of the longest running Indian restaurants in Edinburgh.

I never really rated it. i preferred the Star of Bengal almost next door.
    Pretty sure tbe Annakharli or something like that was next door in the early to mid nineties

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Pretty sure tbe Annakharli or something like that was next door in the early to mid nineties
    Also a Thai place, Sawadee Siam, was next door for a wee bit in the late 90's.
    I think the owner now has a restaurant up Bruntsfield, Thai Lemongrass?

I think Finnieston must have changed quite a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by Colr View Post
    I think Finnieston must have changed quite a bit!
    It’s a wannabe Shoreditch now.

Went to Polentoni on easter road which has recently changed from a cafe to a restaurant. The food was excellent and theplace had a realy relaxed atmosphere. There was a small menu of 5 or 6 mains which appear to change. I had ribs with crispy polenta, root mash and a side salad. BYOB with cornelious a few doors away was decent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by adhibs View Post
    Went to Polentoni on easter road which has recently changed from a cafe to a restaurant. The food was excellent and theplace had a realy relaxed atmosphere. There was a small menu of 5 or 6 mains which appear to change. I had ribs with crispy polenta, root mash and a side salad. BYOB with cornelious a few doors away was decent as well.
    I go there regularly and have done for past 12 months at least, still the same great offerings as before during the day. Fantastic place with freshly made sandwiches that are top notch. Great to see they now open later at night as restaurant.

I go there regularly and have done for past 12 months at least, still the same great offerings as before during the day. Fantastic place with freshly made sandwiches that are top notch. Great to see they now open later at night as restaurant.
    Good to hear the cafe is still open. Can see the restaurant becoming a new regular of mine.

Gusto are doing their usual 50% off food offer in January again this year, just stick Gusto 50 percent sale January in Google and the link appears.

Not the best restaurant in the city but not the worst by any means and works out fairly cheap with the discount.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 03-01-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Promising Youngster
    Does anyone have any recommendations of places to eat around the festival theatre?

Quote Originally Posted by Ajo View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations of places to eat around the festival theatre?
    Blonde is good. It's a 5-10 minute walk from the theatre

https://blonderestaurant.co.uk
    Last edited by Mr Grieves; 11-01-2018 at 08:02 AM.

That's one of the shortest queues I've ever seen. ;-)

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajo View Post
    No shortage, really depends on what cuisine you fancy and what time.

I don't go to Italian restaurants generally but Ciao Roma is very friendly and hospitable.

The City Restaurant is great for kids.

If you head over in a Potterow direction there's a few other places - Field, Buffalo and Nile Valley for example, all offering different options at different prices.

If money is no object then The Tower at the museum is really nice.

If you like Indian, then you have Mother India's Cafe and Kalpna.

I've eaten in all of those prior to going to the EFT, all walking distance and can't say I was disappointed with any of them, though it's been a while for some of them. I've also gone to some of the nice restaurants around Jeffrey Street and on the Royal Mile close to the Tron but not all of them open early enough to fit in a good meal before an evening performance. Probably the friendliest place I've been to pre-theatre was Hewat's on the Causewayside, went there twice and they were fantastic. I believe it's moved to the High Street now, haven't been yet. The only place I wouldn't go back to is the cafe at the museum (not The Tower, but the actual cafe itself). The service was abysmal, despite there being no shortage of staff front-of-house.

As I'm usually there with my daughter, we tend to go to City or to Ciao Roma as that's where she prefers. Both are friendly, very handy for the theatre and relatively inexpensive.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars