hibs.net Messageboard

Page 24 of 85 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
    reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For steak Chophouse leith is unbeatable IMO. It's not cheap, but if you enjoy a steak it's the best in the city. Service is excellent but at the same time very relaxed.
    Out of all the steakhouses I've been too in Edinburgh and there are many I would put that in my top five, only trumped by Steak in Picardy Place and Miller and Carter out at the old brig. Miller and Carter on Hanover Street has a LOT of work to do to get it up to scratch.

Looking forward to giving Gaucho a shot when it opens and one other place that I forgot that does a mean steak is the Old Bell up at Causewayside.

We do a different steakhouse every two months so it's a bit of a challenge to do them all 😀
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    the best Steak place in the area, is unfortunately also the most expensive ... that said, for Steak heaven - the Champany Inn (near Linlithgow) has it all...outstanding steaks

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    the best Steak place in the area, is unfortunately also the most expensive ... that said, for Steak heaven - the Champany Inn (near Linlithgow) has it all...outstanding steaks
    That is does, not quite city centre though 😀

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    That is does, not quite city centre though 😀
    ha! that's for sure

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    You need to be earning a fortune to eat at the Champany

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    You need to be earning a fortune to eat at the Champany
    It's very pricey that's for sure. The chop and alehouse next door is a bit more reasonable

@hibs.net private member stantonhibby's Avatar
    For steak Chophouse leith is unbeatable IMO. It's not cheap, but if you enjoy a steak it's the best in the city. Service is excellent but at the same time very relaxed.
    Is the Chophouse on Market St good ?

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    I've never been to Market Street but I'm sure someone said earlier on this thread that the Market St one isn't as good.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by stantonhibby View Post
    I would say it doesn't even come close, Market Street seems to be trying to be mega fancy although the decor is the same as Leith, something just doesn't work. The one in Leith is much more relaxed and enjoyable.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wembley67 View Post
    I would say it doesn't even come close, Market Street seems to be trying to be mega fancy although the decor is the same as Leith, something just doesn't work. The one in Leith is much more relaxed and enjoyable.
    I agree. I’ve been to both as well and the Leith one is in a different league. We actually went to the Market Street one first and we were disappointed in it and didn’t understand the hype about the Chophouse. The only reason we then went to the Leith one was because we were invited for a friend’s birthday and we’re glad we went.

Any recommendations for restaurants around the festival theatre? Wife's birthday next month and we're getting aw cultured going to the Nutcracker.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee_easty
    Quote Originally Posted by stoneyburn hibs View Post
    Any recommendations for restaurants around the festival theatre? Wife's birthday next month and we're getting aw cultured going to the Nutcracker.
    Depends what you're after?

Mother India is close by on Infirmary Street.

Ting Thai Caravan, on Teviot.

Field on Nicholson Street.

Quote Originally Posted by easty View Post
    Depends what you're after?

Mother India is close by on Infirmary Street.

Ting Thai Caravan, on Teviot.

Field on Nicholson Street.
    Thanks, not looking for any particular type of cuisine.

@hibs.net private member hibee_girl's Avatar
    Ciao Roma is always nice if you’re looking for a good Italian.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I go to the Festival Theatre a fair bit and usually go for lunch/early dinner first. If you want something within ten minutes’ walk then there is no shortage, in practically any direction.

Mother India as mentioned, Kalpna too, if you’re okay with Indian dishes.

There are a few really nice restaurants on the Royal Mile, either side of the Bridges. If you are going to the evening performance not all might open early enough for you, so worth checking out.

There are a number of places within a few streets of the EFT to the south-west, towards George Square and the like. There’s a bit of choice there as there are many different styles of food.

As Easty’s said above, Field is a good shout and no distance at all. The Tower at the Museum is another option if the budget isn’t a worry

I like to try different places but every other time I go I tend to opt for La Garrigue on Jeffrey Street, halfway between the Market Street entrance to Waverley Station and the Royal Mile. It’s southern French cuisine from the Languedoc, so it’s hearty and tasty essentially. Fifteen minute walk to the EFT at a brisk pace.

If you’ve got time for a pre-theatre drink, I would recommend the Captains Bar on South College Street, just round the corner from the theatre It’s a small, small pub but very friendly and they often have a couple of folk playing live music.

I hope you enjoy The Nutcracker. Scottish Ballet are really decent and put on a great production. It’s a bit of a tradition for me to take my daughter to The Nutcracker each Christmas and we are both looking forward to it again
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Tried the new burger restaurant which is operating out of Salt Horse. Really decent American/fast food style offerings, made even better with a kernel IPA to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Had forgotten about that place, I agree it's decent in there. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I go to the Festival Theatre a fair bit and usually go for lunch/early dinner first. If you want something within ten minutes’ walk then there is no shortage, in practically any direction.

Mother India as mentioned, Kalpna too, if you’re okay with Indian dishes.

There are a few really nice restaurants on the Royal Mile, either side of the Bridges. If you are going to the evening performance not all might open early enough for you, so worth checking out.

There are a number of places within a few streets of the EFT to the south-west, towards George Square and the like. There’s a bit of choice there as there are many different styles of food.

As Easty’s said above, Field is a good shout and no distance at all. The Tower at the Museum is another option if the budget isn’t a worry

I like to try different places but every other time I go I tend to opt for La Garrigue on Jeffrey Street, halfway between the Market Street entrance to Waverley Station and the Royal Mile. It’s southern French cuisine from the Languedoc, so it’s hearty and tasty essentially. Fifteen minute walk to the EFT at a brisk pace.

If you’ve got time for a pre-theatre drink, I would recommend the Captains Bar on South College Street, just round the corner from the theatre It’s a small, small pub but very friendly and they often have a couple of folk playing live music.

I hope you enjoy The Nutcracker. Scottish Ballet are really decent and put on a great production. It’s a bit of a tradition for me to take my daughter to The Nutcracker each Christmas and we are both looking forward to it again
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    It's actually my first visit to the Festival theatre! Sheltered life considering that I grew up in Edinburgh.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    It's actually my first visit to the Festival theatre! Sheltered life considering that I grew up in Edinburgh.
    Hopefully you should enjoy it, it's a great venue. Easily accessible, as are the bars within.

As I said before, Scottish Ballet are pretty reliable with their productions so I'm expecting it to be good!
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Had an indian from that place in Musselburgh a few weeks back, the shish mahal? Opposite the Sportsman pub that Jacky Mac used to run. Excellent, 8/10, would have been 10/10 but the collection time was 90 minutes instead of 40 like they said. The garlic rice was to die for!

Went to Dante's at Colinton a few days ago and was slightly disappointed. Food wasn't bad but after reading the reviews was expecting more and not sure I would rush back , especially as its a little out of the way. Setting and service was excellent though.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Went to Dante's at Colinton a few days ago and was slightly disappointed. Food wasn't bad but after reading the reviews was expecting more and not sure I would rush back , especially as its a little out of the way. Setting and service was excellent though.
    Been there before. Was decent and I’d go back if someone asked but it wasn’t any better than most Italian restaurants. Wouldn’t go back off my own back because of where it is more than anything.
    Last edited by calumhibee1; 22-11-2017 at 12:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hibee_girl View Post
    Haven't been there in years but been meaning to go back. It's been done-up since I was there and think it used to be under a different name?

Is it still much the same? I remember the pizzas being very nice!

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Had an indian from that place in Musselburgh a few weeks back, the shish mahal? Opposite the Sportsman pub that Jacky Mac used to run. Excellent, 8/10, would have been 10/10 but the collection time was 90 minutes instead of 40 like they said. The garlic rice was to die for!
    Passed through Musselburgh today and noticed a Gurkha/Indian restaurant I hadn't seen before near the Brunton Halls. Might be worth checking out sometime?

Visited the Ting Thai caravan today for the first time. Quality scran and very reasonably priced too.

Blog Entries
    I recently had a meal with the family at the Ship Inn, Elie. Seriously good pub food, quite pricey but very nice. Oddly, one small random bit of my main course, mushroom sauce, was the only down side of the whole meal. It was the consistency of dishwater and was really unpalatable.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Passed through Musselburgh today and noticed a Gurkha/Indian restaurant I hadn't seen before near the Brunton Halls. Might be worth checking out sometime?
    Love it. Regularly return to Musselburgh to go there. Friends / family and I have never had a poor dish there. Would only recommend avoiding it on "Ladies" day at Musselburgh races!

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Queens Spice in South Queensferry last night. We were there with friends who live local, had a great night, food was up there with better Indians I have had.

johnbc70
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by yonder1875 View Post
    Visited the Ting Thai caravan today for the first time. Quality scran and very reasonably priced too.
    It's alway mobbed, must make a fortune.

For some reason though it always reminds of that Little Britain sketch with Ting Tong and Mr Dudley!

Itihaas Dalkeith last night food was 10/10 service was slightly lacking 8/10.